3. Daily nutrition accountability

Options

Replies

• Nuari2016
    Nuari2016 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Came in quite a bit under limit yesterday due to a new dinner dish being far fewer calories than I had anticipated. (This also led to my being awakened this morning by my stomach audibly growling... haven't had that happen in years!) Today should be fine, on track so far. Hoping everyone is starting to feel better from their illnesses and injuries!
  • SarahsFitMess
    SarahsFitMess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Forgot to check in yesterday. I was under goal but not a huge amount this time. Hoping this stomach bug is on its way out.
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Food plans made for the day and sticking too it
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    food has been better especially on the weekend when we eat alot... trying to make better choices...
  • carisalawson
    carisalawson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I went to a dietician and she said to keep my calories at 1200. I am just wondering if this is normal or what everyone else is doing. It has been ok for the most part but today I am hungry :(
  • smurphy90
    smurphy90 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Today was good, for me. I came in under my calorie goal.
    Also, for the first time since I've started using MFP my "If you eat like you did today you'd weigh X in 5 weeks," was in the 250s!
  • krce
    krce Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    @carisalawson 1,200 seems so low to me. IDK, but I don't think I could do it. I try to stay between 1,500-1,700.

Today has been good. I did look at my nutrients, & wow, I need to work on upping my protein!!
  • 1cand0it2
    1cand0it2 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    under calorie goal! good day.
  • animalrob37
    animalrob37 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Kept to my 1500 cals
  • audrey13027
    audrey13027 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yesterday wasn't my best...my f-up was deluding myself into believing that:

1) I could have ice cream in my freezer.
    2) I could eat said ice cream 1 night and not have it again.
    3) Eating 2x's as much ice cream the next night was ok because I didn't take me over my daily calorie count.

Sigh!...It's not the end of the world, I know, but I'm just disappointed in myself. Thankfully, today has been better (I threw the rest of the friggin ice cream away) and I am under count by a bit.

I really think that I'm going to have to regularly remind myself that self-sabotaging behavior is always lurking, just waiting to pounce!
  • SarahsFitMess
    Options
    I went to a dietician and she said to keep my calories at 1200. I am just wondering if this is normal or what everyone else is doing. It has been ok for the most part but today I am hungry :(

My endocrinologist put me at 1500 said she usually puts people between 1200 and 1500 so I'm not entirely surprised. Though sounds a bit difficult.

I went over by 3 calories today haha can definitely live with that but I'll try a bit harder tomorrow.

• Nuari2016
    edited April 2016
    Options

Honestly, I've met dietitians who I thought were very good at what they do, and others that were utter rubbish. The ones that worried me seemed to have no real appreciation for content of the food - they kept an eye on total daily sodium and calories, and that was it. *I* am more savvy about my food content - and yet you have to be certified to be a dietitian! I would get a second opinion, perhaps from another dietitian or from your primary care doctor, and have them explicitly say whether this opinion is due to specific medical necessities beyond just being heavy.

In terms of 1200 calories. While I know some people do medically need to stick to that limit, it does worry me for a few reasons. 1) That's awfully close to the starvation line, and you don't want your body to start shutting down your metabolism as a defense mechanism. 2) Is it realistic for you? If you are constantly hungry and constantly denying yourself, then you are much, much more likely to stop following the plan.

Unless there is a medical necessity, then personally, I would eat more calories per day, with the understanding that this will yield slower weight loss. My motto is, this isn't just a diet but a new way of life - so unless I can see myself generally eating this way in 3 years, then it isn't going to work for me.

For perspective - I'm 5'8" tall, medium frame, currently weigh 288, don't currently exercise, and have my calories set at 1860 per day. My loss goal is 1.5 lbs per week, which I am achieving (and more) each week. I'll likely adjust things as I get thinner, but for now, that works for me and so it's what I'm doing :)
  • Nuari2016
    Options
    I really think that I'm going to have to regularly remind myself that self-sabotaging behavior is always lurking, just waiting to pounce!

Happens to us all, I think - but now at least you know and can take action, so that's a big win too!

• Nuari2016
    Options
    I came in a hair under calories yesterday. Today is going to be tough simply because my stress level is at 9.9. I'm trying to step away and take deep breaths, but oh my goodness am I looking forward to the end of this month >:[
  • smurphy90
    smurphy90 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Came in way under calories today. Feeling good.
  • carisalawson
    carisalawson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and your opinions. I think I'm going to keep it as close to 1200 as I can but on days I'm hungry I will bump it up to 1500. This makes me feel better and not so guilty!
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Food sucked today but that's what happens when loved on is sick, has emergency surgery . fast food . .. Yuck ..now I am nauseated... Not a win here today
  • animalrob37
    animalrob37 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Kept to my calories but had it all in one meal. BTW most of the calorie amounts on MFP are incorrect. Gotta be real careful
  • Pepperh3ad
    Pepperh3ad Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Still working the plan!
  • SarahsFitMess
    Options
    I stayed on goal today. Just a bit under and found a sweet treat I love that's low cal