Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Jacean2016
    Jacean2016 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The heating just came on here! Just saying! Anne.
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hello Sneaker friends, I am so relieved after my eye doctor appointment! He said I did not need another injection this time. I am to come back in 6 months to see how things are going. I have macro degeneration in my left eye. The news that things are stable is the REAL good news. I hate the shots but I can easily take them for the preservation of my sight. Modern medicine...got to love it!

Our son is in the process of buying a big new sailboat. It is his dream to have one. I know he will enjoy it as well as sharing it with family and friends. I am so unsteady on my feet and my bad knee, I am not sure how often I will be on the boat. He is determined to make sure the access is sturdy and steady for me. I confess that this enterprise scares me. Shirley! You are truely an adventurous lady. I think it is wonderful that you are such an accomplished sailor. It is going to be a real accomplishment for me to just get on board.

We are having a marine layer that covers the north Oregon coast. It is very cool, socked in with a damp layer of low clouds. In other words...Oregon! We are okay with that. We live in sweaters and hooded sweat shirts.

Our daughter is working toward disability status and we are very upset about her health and emotional well being. She is a teacher and a very good one. She puts so much effort into her classes. I worry that without the positive experience of her classes and her students, the disability/retirement will be very depressing for her. That is my anxiety for now and the near future.

Anne, I have to say that in my opinion there is no such thing as a small dog! Jilly is huge in all respects that really count. Love, affection, entertainment, irritation (?) companionship and a member of the family. HUGE!
    Katie and the other Sneaker dogs and cats have big places in our hearts as well.
    Patsy
  • lindasain
    lindasain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi I'd be in here often on for the last nine years I guess or the last seven years and I work full time I work with special needs adults in a group home and of course they never have enough help so I work all the time I've had several surgeries last few years and I had at lost 70 pounds 7 years ago now I have gained every pound back but I went back to weight watchers at work so it's cheaper and my first week back I lost 10 pounds I'm so proud of myself so my history is I was married for 17 years divorced I did have two children but because of a rare illness my son died it for years old and my daughter died eight years ago and I still miss them I came to Wichita Kansas to help with my mom and she died five years ago so I'm still here much time and I decided to stay put and I'm working I just got rid of the boyfriend which I think is a good thing he wasn't a bad guy he finally gave it up and told me he didn't believe in the God so I couldn't I couldn't go with him anymore because I so believe in God for you got me through so many times so that's my story I quit smoking three years ago and I think that that's what caused all this weight so I have 100 pounds to lose you guys are so friendly and thanks for the welcome 10 pounds for me this week hopefully 5 pounds next week but I know it will be as much and I'm back to the pool exercise I love the pool aerobics loveland
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I have been seeing those Lin. I wonder how they would be with Sauerkraut But the sauerkraut would be too salty for you..I notice now I don't do much salt now. And my fingernails are growing stronger and long. They used to be all crack and ragged maybe i need a manicure
    Marie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    Options
    Oh my yes!!! Sauerkraut is never made without salt so I would pass on that. The sodium in the aminos is making me feel like I am turning into a blimp!!! Ha. For people who eat some type of bread or buns, these vegan carrot dogs woukd be lovely. I ate mine with lettuce. Also very good.

Congrats on your improved fingernails. I am in water so much with all the work in the kitchen, I have never seen much difference.

Hugs.

Lin
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hello Linda.
    I think I may be the baby of the group. This group is so supportive and inspirational. I'm married and mother of 2 adult sons that still live at home. The eldest just graduated from college with a degree in Marketing and is looking for full-time work. The younger son is a music producer/recording engineer. He remodeled our basement several years ago and has his recording studio in our basement. I am the younger son's business manager. My husband and I enjoy spending time at our camper when we can. It's permanently parked at a camper resort about an hour and a half from our house. We're looking forward to retiring in a few more years. Welcome to the group.
    Marcella
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hello Linda,

We are happy to have you with us. I love these ladies, they have listened to many sad things in my life too. They will not judge you, they just listen and if they can help they will. Welcome aboard!

Lin - I would love to have you go crafting with me it would be so much fun. According to the Ayurvedic
    way of life I am not supposed to be eating sauerkraut either and I am German.

Patsy - I have been helping my hubby as first mate going on 11 years now. You do have to be quick on your feet and not get sea sick. Let me know what type of boat your son ends up with.

I did get to yoga class today and my knee was good but I think I have caught a bug because I hurt all over today, I should have stayed home. Laying low today and just watching TV.

A little about myself I am 67 and have two adult daughters, one married with my first grandson and the other dating and living with a man from Argentina. I have been married for 42 years to a wonderful man.
    I live in Ontario, Canada but I am American. I live in a border town right across from the US border.
    We have a sail boat and have been sailing going on 11 years. We have a cottage in Northern Ontario which is owned by husband's mom of 90 years so we are taking care of her now. We are a busy family and on the go.

Shirley

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, LINDA. Here's to good luck for you from now on!
    PATSY, Mike's eye injections for glaucoma never seemed to bother him. Perhaps yours will be OK too!
    SHIRLEY, hope you were simply tired, not buggy!
    LIN, I also must watch the sodium, so forget sauerkraut! However, I chose a yummy quesadilla tonight, and fear I'll be totally swollen tomorrow!
    We saw a beautiful documentary tonight, UNBRANDED, I think was the name. About a group of men who decided to get some wild mustangs, train them, and then travel on them from the Mexican border north to the Canadian border along the wildest peaks and valleys imaginable! Neither of us napped even once! Learned a lot about the wild horses of America at the same time.
    I have much to do before our cleaning help comes tomorrow as she could barely get around 2 weeks ago, helping me with other things while my gout flared! I got tart black cherry juice, and ordered pills and juice concentrate extract instead of having to buy glass bottles of the stuff. I hope it helps with the gout and arthritis! Anyway, really sleepy as I've been not sleeping well. so see you all tomorrow. Thank you all for your encouragement. and I'm hoping Maddy returns to us here on Sneakers!
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Good morning sneakers and especially Linda. So glad you found your way to us as I know the group will support you all the way on your weight loss journey. You've had to deal with so much over the years but as Shirley and others have already said, you will find nothing but love, advice if needed, lots of shoulders to cry on and many laughs amongst us sneakers. My home is in England although I did spend some time in Canada. No husband or kids but an array of animals from a dog to cats, chickens to honey bees. At 67 I'm doing my utmost not to slow down and having lost the weight gained when I first retired through following this MFP healthy living route and meeting my wonderful Sneakers friends here I count myself blessed to have "bumped" into the site.

It's a beautiful day again but it does look like rain could be on the way for tomorrow. Catching up on my week I had a great time Tuesday night at Rod Stewart's concert as he is such a showman and yes Lin he's still got the moves although just a little bit slower than a few years ago but for a man in his early 70's he was remarkable. No leotard thank goodness! Yes, he loves his soccer so a few times in the evening kicked lots of autographed footballs into the crowd. It was a beautiful evening so I didn't even need to pop on a jacket until around 10 pm. The travel arrangements were a nightmare because the park and ride service got caught up in heavy traffic so we had to queue for an hour for the bus that would take us into the arena area. The same thing on the way home made worse by roadworks that closed the main route so I had to drive us through country lanes which meant not getting us home until 2 am!! It was all worth it though. The bus company did forego the fare because we missed most of the supporting act which I thought was a good gesture.

Yesterday it was dog walking on the moors followed by dog walking around the local lake in the afternoon, then at 9 pm I popped to the allotment to water our veggie seedlings so of course today my legs are aching like mad so I know if I sit too long I'll seize up so must make this a not too long post. Having walked across the moors again this morning I'm now planning to get the lawns mowed and yes, you guessed it, more weeding!!

Shirley ~ I do hope that bug has left you and you're feeling better today. I have found a you tube yoga video that looks about right for me so hopefully when my life slows down just a bit I'll be able to find out if it's something I can do at home because my muscles tell me I need something!

Buzz ~ Unbranded would be just the sort of documentary I love so must watch out for it. Keep yourself stocked up with the black cherry juice because it does seem to be helping your gout.

Patsy ~ Wonderful news that you didn't need the eye injection this time around.... long may it last! Your comments about small dogs did make me laugh because George is convinced he's the biggest dog in the world and to prove it this morning when we bumped into a local man who regularly walks his stunning Malamute in the opposite direction to us, he decided to kick his feet in the grass and grumble and growl. I'm convinced the other dog had a huge smile on his face as he looked down on George!! The issues with your daughter must be so difficult for you when you can see what the outcome could be but how do you tell her?? Your son however does sound the adventurous sort of lad so I'm sure will handle his boat just fine but getting his mother on board might be a different story! Although I love to swim I'm not a true water baby so most pastimes in that area are of no interest and I'm happier sitting on the quay watching rather than participating.

Anne ~ HEATING!!! Hopefully you've warmed up at least a bit today.

Marcella ~ Any camping trips planned in the near future or do your boys keep you too busy??

Before I get stuck to this chair I'll get moving outside to plan my day.

I do hope you all have as pleasant a day as mine appears to be heading.
    Jackie

• Jacean2016
    Options
    Morning all. Beautiful day here, but the heating came on again. I'll be off for our morning shuffle in a bit. Getting to know each blade of grass down the sidewalks. I had to laugh at big brave George and the smiling malamute. Yesterday we met a really big man walking towards us, the sort you might cross the street - just in case. Not Jilly Beans, she galloped over to him, tail a-wagging, yip, yip, yip. "Are YOU trying to intimidate ME" asked the huge man. "Yes, yes, yes, yip, yip, yip" said Jilly, leaping about and getting us all twisted in her leash, sigh. At what age does everyone cease to be her best friend?
    I sympathise Patsy with your daughter dilemma. We, with years behind us can see all the pitfalls, but like me with my mom and dad in the past, we when younger ignored any advice. All we can do is be there to pick up the pieces.
    I hate my youngest's constant flying with his job, so can appreciate your palpitations concerning boats. He was considering buying one as well, but I think Mary Jo convinced him otherwise. There was no way he would have got me on it if he'd bought one! I think Shirley very brave sharing her husbands hobby.
    Glad the cherries are working out Buzz. They worked for George, a friends son who boarded with me for a while.
    And it's time to get my big brave dog out for her walk before her morning nap. She's just about exhausted herself chasing her newly found tail. Sigh.
    Like Buzz Linda, I wish you all the luck in the world from now on. Not been easy for you in the past.
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,060 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!! :) Dinner at my friends house was wonderful but added weight this morning. Hopefully with lots of water today I can shed it before the wedding tomorrow.
    I am going for a mani/pedi sometime today and then to see Rob and Lisa's new house. They are closing as I write and then the movers will be moving their stuff so it will probably be later.

Anne, cold enough for heat? That is terrible!! I am visualizing Jilly chasing her tail and it brings a smile to my face.

Jackie, I love Rod Stewart and have seen him in concert twice. I can't remember him kicking any balls into the audience but I am sure he did. Glad the bus company made a good gesture, good business on their part.

Buzz, I am happy to read your gout is improving, now get some sleep.

Shirley, no time for bugs, get some rest and feel better.

Marcella, I don't remember hold old you are to confirm if you are the baby of the group.

Marie and Lin, I can't remember the last time I ate sauerkraut. Being Polish it was made a lot with polish sausage and served at most of the weddings and holidays.

Linda, congratulations on the ten pounds lost this week. Pool aerobics is a great source of exercise. Thanks for sharing your story and so glad you joined our group.

Patsy, glad to read you didn't need another injection but they must be working. Mine is just the beginning stages of macular degeneration so I just take eye vitamins, in fact the one you recommended. I go to the eye doctor next week so hopefully all is well.

Have a great day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody; I'm feeling more human again today after my "cleaning" lady organized my utility/cleaning closet, where the disintegrating pipes were leaving black pieces in my drinking water faucets. Then my hot water heater or A.C. flooded and she discovered it a few weeks ago and she emptied all the shelves into large boxes for me. It turned out they never had to open the walls as the bad pipes were on the outside of the walls, and they finally came and replaced moldy baseboards (from the flood) yesterday, and today she rescued my shelves by replacing the supplies after cleaning the house. I have come to the conclusion a perfect house is not as important as a housekeeper who is truly helpful, and Liz sure is!
    As I'm typing, I heard weird metallic sounds behind me, and turning toward the windows, I cannot see out at all due to a really heavy rainfall! And there goes the lightening, so I'd better log off! Be well, dear friends!
    <3 Buzz
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Buzz - It is nice to have things fixed by someone else when you live in an apt. You seem to be having some pipe and flooding problems, I hope that is all fixed. Your cleaning lady seems the right one for you
    and nice that she helped you get organized.

Jackie - Your Rod Stewart concert sounded like fun glad you enjoyed it, maybe next time when you go to a concert you won't have so many obstacles.

Anne - We don't have the heat on but did put on the oven in the kitchen this morning to warm things up.
    This summer is supposed to be a hot one, not so far.

Linda - glad you could share your life with us and hope we can get to know you better.

My aches and pains are gone today and I did clean the upstairs and still have some dusting to do.
    I am still having some bathroom issues so hope that subsides soon. I know TMI.

Enjoy the rest of your evening,

Shirley
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Ewww to sauerkraut! My mother loved it. She made Reuben sandwiches.
    We are home until Sunday. Much to do including a trip to visit my aunt. Her daughter is clearing her apartment and I have to stop by there to get the cable boxes to return.
    Refilling medication and lots of laundry will just about take all of my free time.
    Lin, I copy the books/authors you mention and add the books to my wish list. Ive almost finished with The All American Girl's Gas Station Reunion. It's by Fannie Flagg. Not a mystery but it is a good read. Several LOL moments. I love to read about the 40's when everyone was rationing and recycling was born. No paper plates!
    Time to finish dinner prep, eating late tonight.
    Phoebe
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Phoebe I remember the rations. my father had a neighborhood grocer store in my childhood days. and our living room was pack with sugar coffee and etc.

I too read today for Our lights went out took our telephone and lights All I could get on my I pad was my Kindle books. Had no choice. Was out about 2 hours. Don't know why. but all is well now.
    What you cooking Phoebe? I made cabbage and sweet potatoes. I am doing real good on sticking to this plan.
    Hello everybody ave a good eveing.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hello everyone - nice morning with the ladies at the library. Nice conversation and good company. It was in the 90's today and the plants I watered this morning wilted somewhat in the heat and strong wind. Need to wet them down again. Tai chi in the morning tomorrow. Should be enjoyable as well. No vegetables this week. Darn!!! Unfortunately the guy who brings the vegetables to Farmers Market is in the hospital with pneumonia!! Seems kind of unusual for June for a guy who works out in the clean air all the time.

I didn't introduce myself. It there really is little to say. I am divorced (my ex never lived in this area--I moved here for a job and he never followed through to work at either of the jobs he obtained here. He quit both of them before actually starting work at either place). I was married 25 years. No children. No siblings. Both parents deceased. No cousins that I am close to.

Lost my job in 2008 during the financial meltdown but was eligible to retire so I did and looked after my dad and his affairs until he passed away. His estate was closed earlier this year so I am just sorting out things I can afford and want to do. I help with little things at my church and attend regularly.

Enough boring me stuff!

Excitement. Well maybe it is. I got an email today saying I need to stop by the library as I have won a weekly prize in the Adult Reading Challenge. Late this afternoon I also received an email from the Director of the library asking me to participate in a 90 minute focus group. Part of their planning process and they are asking active library patrons to help. I guess I will do it. I certainly use the library often.

Everyone is busy!!!!! I love reading your posts.

Hugs.

Lin

• fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    A quick hello and I've been missing and but definitely in action. We babysat the 4 girl grandchildren on the weekend and had so much fun with them. 2 years to 15 years.

We've also been out taking pictures of spring flowers this week to some of our favorite spots.

Today I had my annual appt with my liver doctor. A good result with all in order. Hurray. I have an autoimmune liver disease and see my specialist once a year. I can't help but worry before the appointment every year.

An bio of myself for the new people -- and welcome. We live in Calgary Alberta in Canada. I'm 67 and very happily married to a great guy. I love all my 10 grandkids and our daughter who has 8 of them is expecting #9 in about a month. Wow. I love photography, reading and nature. I'm rather short 4' 11" so it is always a challenge to keep my weight off.

And speaking of photography here are a couple of our grandkids from this week end.

llgrkpqqox22.jpeg

1zf9o7snv0lj.jpeg

I'll post some flowers too shortly.

Jeri in Calgary

• 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Welcome Linda
    I don't post much as I only have Internet on my phone. Here is a little about me. I joined this group in 2009 (I think). Married 50 yrs. To a wonderful man that I first met when I was 11. We have 3 boys 1 girl grown. 12 grandchildren includes step ones too. 3 great grandkids and 1 on the way. I am 69 and I am a quilter. I have had too many surgeries but have felt better than ever for the last 3 years since we moved to Idaho.
    Welcome to our great group.
    Chris
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    The rain has arrived although only a smattering and not enough to water my garden or the veggies at the allotment. When we have weeks of rain all I want is sunshine but now after 2 weeks of heat and sun I'm relieved to see the rain..... never satisfied although I know there's nothing we can do about the weather. Talking of which, or at least I'm assuming the climate changes have done this, our Canada Geese that usually fly in from northern parts in March are only now arriving. A new V shaped group flew in low over our heads as we stood in the car park chatting after this morning's walk on the moor and in the past week many have arrived at the local lake and are feeding in the nearby fields. I'm wondering if the extended winter in Canada held them back but will have to investigate further so if my Canadian friends know better please do tell.

George was naughty on the moor and set off to play with a lamb ignoring his whistle and my calls for a minute so when he did finally come back to us he was straight on his lead and chastised which then brought out a growl and attempt to bite which I know is only out of fear because he was mistreated in his first home but even so, I've been very firm with him and he's now fed and lying in his bed. It proves I'll have to keep him on his lead at all times until the lambs are either grown or gone to market which is a shame because he never showed interest before.... it's a learning curve for both of us.

Lin ~ No doubt your libraries are experiencing the same downfall of visitors as ours now that so many use a kindle to read and I do think it's one of those facilities we'll all miss once gone. You are such an avid reader and also use the library for other events so you'd have a lot of input into any meeting to discuss how to go forward. Do let us know what your prize is..... a book I bet! What a shame you can't get your usual veggie supply at the moment which I know you love. Does that mean more trips to your Trader Joe store?

Jeri ~ Love those photos; what beautiful children and so happy which of course is not surprising when they're surrounded by so much love. Great news about another health check going well too so a deep breath and chill for another year!

Sandy ~ Are Rob and Lisa in and settled? The whole process seems to have run quite smoothly so I hope the very last stage went as well. I've lost track but note you're off to a wedding today so have a great time.... there's always next week to diet!!

Phoebe ~ A couple of days off, hooray, although as you say you'll be busy. Rationing was still going on in England in the 50's so I remember some of it but what really sticks in my mind is the gas mask that was left hanging in the cupboard under the stairs for years after the war. My brother and I used to fight over who could wear it when we played fire engines by pushing two chairs together and covering them with a sheet.... no iphones, pads or even a tv to distract us!!

Buzz ~ Your Liz is a Godsend obviously and isn't it wonderful to know there are still people our there prepared to give as much in a caring way as they do practically. Plumbing problems are DIY type jobs I never think of attempting because water can be so damaging and thank goodness your walls didn't have to be attacked to get at the pipes!! Microsoft has been a bit naughty with their Windows 10 trying to push it on everyone and then locking them into things they don't want so I'm still avoiding it. Windows 8 that I had someone remove from my laptop has reloaded itself so that's enough for me to be getting used to at the moment!!

No excuses with it being damp outside, I'll just have to get on with housework instead! Yesterday I bought a kiddie paddling pool for George as he loves water so of course it's now raining!!

Forgot to weigh this morning for the pound a week group so will do so in the morning.
    Have a good Friday everyone.

Jackie
  • Jacean2016
    Options
    Seems to be a day for naughty dogs. I'm downstairs happily putting the washing on and generally puttering about. I hear pounding feet above and happy yips. Up I come to see what's going on. My upstairs looks as if a snowstorms hit it, or maybe an English football match after a game. She "who shall not be named" being in the doghouse, had gotten into the towel cupboard and had a field day with the stored toilet rolls on the floor. Sigh. I am rapidly becoming a pauper what with chewed up toilet rolls, chewed up socks, chewed belts, but then I'm also learning to lift things out of furry jaws. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. What about young dogs though? Sigh!
    Anne