Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,196 Member
    Options
    Good day Sneakers – I am hopelessly behind in responding to posts. So once again I’m reduced to posting random thoughts! If I have ignored a question or comment, I apologize. All set for the winter storm now. I had run errands yesterday and purchased a few groceries as we were not expecting much snow. They changed their minds so I was out stocking up on vegetables this morning as our distribution center is Chicago and we often have some disruptions as storms pass through and then hit Chicago so we can get to the store but they are out of things.

I also needed to change my water filter for my whole house system and had to make a trip to the dealer’s office to purchase a filter wrench. If I ever had one, it disappeared. The handyman was here last night and we got the stakes with the reflectors installed along the driveway and sidewalk so when it is snow blower time, they can see where the driveway and sidewalk are located!

Oh and I’ve had a number of Internet outages of late. So far, going through the process with the automated system has ultimately gotten my service restored. At least the service is restored. It is still annoying that overall, the service cannot be considered robust—at least not as far as I’m concerned.

Tomorrow afternoon I’m scheduled to meet several friends to celebrate a birthday. I guess we’ll have to track the weather but I’m disinclined to get in the midst of early evening traffic in the midst of a probably storm but I cannot be the one to wimp out.

BUT on Saturday, I am to meet a friend at the Christmas craft show and I did text her to say IF we get as much snow as predicted late Friday afternoon through early Saturday morning that I will not be venturing out early to go to that show. She’s fine with whatever I decide because if she wants to go, she’ll just go with her family.

Jeri, I love the pictures once again. That looks like a lovely place to visit. I just see the same scenery all the time, which is okay, but your pictures are so incredibly lovely and help me to take little online trips. I am sorry your feet still cause problems. Mine do as well. Some days they are good, some days I have trouble getting in my steps for the day. On to pressure cookers-- I also have an Instant Pot and I love it. I use it all the time. It is safe, simple, multi-functioned and I love being able to just set it and forget about it. No worry, no baby-sitting it. I have used it as a pressure cooker (and I love using manual and selected # minutes), a slow cooker, and have used the *rice* button as well.

Marie, I am sorry you are having health problems. I swear doctors are always changing their minds on what we should do and I also find advice somewhat confusing and often I’m just not sure what is the healthiest thing to do! I am always happy to hear from you each day.

Phoebe, safe travels to you. A hug for Honey from me. I am sorry she’s not interested in playing. Maybe someday. I have always been somewhat apprehensive about stove-top pressure cookers. Just not comfortable with them at all. My mom had one and she seemed to be okay with it. Never had any mishaps with it. My ex-MIL was completely against gas stoves. She had one that malfunctioned and she said it blew up. I don’t know about that. Seems that would have destroyed a home but that’s what she said.

Shirley, I see you had lunch with a MFP friend. That is so great! I met a MFP friend several times this year---once in her city, once in mine. I haven’t heard from her in a while though. I heard her computer had crashed and she couldn’t afford to replace it right now. I need to give her a phone call just to see if she’s okay. You are accomplishing so much in your house! Wow! Meanwhile, I am in “doing nothing” mode around my house these days. These things seem to come in waves for me!

Buzz, I hope you are feeling better. Our former minister suffered from gout and he not only changed his diet but also took medication. I believe it was the same one Phoebe mentioned. I cannot believe how long you had to wait at your doctor’s office. Oh my, I wouldn’t have that type of patience I don’t think.

Sandy, staying home and celebrating Thanksgiving with your family sounds very good. I always have concern for lots of driving around the holidays. It seems the weather is quite unpredictable. Did you ever hear from Bryanna?

Marcella, I love your profile picture. Have we seen that one before? Are you working on any home projects? I think I'm not keeping up on everything folks are up to.

Jackie, best wishes to you on your assembling project. I always have to be in the right mood to even start on something like that. And I usually read the instructions now. In the past, I would just fly along without really understanding what the instructions said, if I even looked at them. Can’t get by with that now for some reason. We’ve had some very strong winds and expect it to continue and/or worsen as the winter storm approaches. I have my boots out now. Ha. My feet were getting cold in my mesh shoes so I put my fleece-lined ankle high boots this morning. Felt scrumptious! Hugs to George.

Anne, I am glad you found your way back to the Sneakers. So far, I’ve not had any change in MFP. I expect my turn will come soon enough. Unfortunately. I have noted several people are unhappy not just with the navigation and appearance on the site but also reports that the food and exercise numbers are not accurate.

Patsy, the birthday celebration sounds very enjoyable AND your preparation for Thanksgiving is astounding. I put up a couple of Thanksgiving items in the house and prepare whatever food I personally want to eat and then go to my friends’ home on that day. I usually take something that other people will want to eat, but I don’t. This year I have a pecan pie in the freezer and will also take either fruit or some candy for the crowd.

Barbie, do you make reservations for Thanksgiving or do you just show up at your favorite spot?

Time to post if possible. Hugs!!!

Lin
  • Jacean245
    Jacean245 Posts: 1,148 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Well, I was missing the "community" slogan all day, or at least it was there, but when I pressed it, not a sign of the senior golden sneakers. Anyway, to cut a long story short, Ive finally found the sneakers using the Internet and I had a light bulb moment when seeing the JOIN button, decided to press it, whereupon lo and behold, here I am again, after being convinced I would just be a passing memory to you all. Amazing, why did I have to join again? The good news of course, all this fiddling around is making me a bit more expert!
    BUZZ, I believe you mentioned gout. A friends son had gout and as (was it) PATSY said, he was prescribed sour cherry juice.
    Bye for now from Anne, who isn't pressing her luck any further and is also curious to see if the sneakers are back under "community."
  • Jacean245
    Options
    My goodness the Sneakers ARE back under community!
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,138 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Jackie, Diane McColley asked me to pass this on to you from Facebook.
    Cool place for your bees.

xvkltear7qsq.jpg

http://ecobeebox.net/
  • linder4866
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Wow---that is COOL!!!! What a BEE BOX!

I am using a cached page to get to the Sneakers BUT I cannot get to the main page, or my profile, or my food diary. ARGH!
  • linder4866
    Options
    Just a little bit early:

969123xxbxefistd.gif

g.gifa.gify.gifl.gifa.gif
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Wow, gout hit the nerve, huh? It is much better today, and I won't take the prednisone kit given to me, as I hate the way it retains liquid. I'm about to read all the posts before hitting the sack! But I want to let JACKIE know my breakfasts haven't changed at all! Still loving my blueberries and plain FF yogurt! And the omelettes are simpler these days. Did I mention I did not order an oven here, just the glass burner top with a built in microwave, to discourage me from wanting to bake or really cook! Thanks for the cherries link, too. Will get to that later.
    MARIE, li'l sis, you are growing old beautifully, handling all sorts of challenges I've never even attempted! Keep it up, kid!
    ANNE, check your VIEW in the menu bar. My zoom came in crazy today , too, but I reset it to 100%. (went crazy again later, so I'm leaving !)
    PHOEBE, thanks for the info, but right now, I don't want tgo take daily meds unless I find it really necessary. I'm hoping the lobster, shrimp, prime rib was a bad gout day thing! There are days I really lose it!
    JACKIE, I think that's called "word wrap" view, but don't recall what to do about it! It may be somewhere under "font"!
    Suddenly my MFP site has gone beserk! A mile wide! I X'd it, and restarted it and a whole bunch of new posts appeared! I have to start all over but I'm bleary -eyed so I'll return tomorrow but post the bit I started awhile ago. See you all tomorrow!
    This is the 3rd attempt at posting from my Notepad, since it spread way out the first 2 times!
    <3 Buzz
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Found the black cherry and gout site but too many others were trying, too so I couldn't get on the site! Is the moon full tonight, or something???
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    What is with the format on MFP it looks much smaller
    than usual. Well it's 11:35 and I am usually in bed but thought I wouldcheck in.

Buzz - Glad to hear your foot pain is getting better, no need to go to a doctor
    just ask the Sneakers members and we will diagnose. HAHA! So the gout
    diagnois was correct and now you can heal. At least you know what is causing the pain.

Our carpeting is in and it looks fabulous and feels like walking on a cloud.
    Dave had his work cut out for him. He was so nice today and took all my
    12 bags and some boxes to St. Vincent DiPaul and donated it all for me.
    I was going to help but went to lunch with an MFP friend on here today so
    he did it all when I was gone. I think I will keep him. :D

Still purging household items but almost getting to the end.
    Tomorrow is my first TM session and I will let you know how it went.

Hello to everyone else and have a good sleep ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Shirley
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    Options
    Happy birthday to GAYLA!!
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    At least if we are all having similar problems with the site we don't have to worry about our computers or viruses! Hopefully whatever is being done behind the scenes will soon be completed and we'll get back to normal, trouble is as I type this in the message box it's running along one VERY long line!!! I'll stop now and come back later today.

Jackie
  • Jacean245
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Just a thought, but are folks on premium having the same problems? Good morning Sneakers.
    Anne
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday, Gayla!

10el5z2s6i3s.jpg
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Wish me luck today! I will be attempting to winterize our camper myself. We usually pay to have someone do this. It isn't suppose to be difficult. But I will still feel much, much better when I have completed the task today!

Lin - Yes, it's a new picture. I like to change up my hair color a bit for the fall. B)
    Anne - I'm an MFP Premium member and it would seem that they are changing things up a bit.
    Shirley - Glad to hear the carpet turned out well. New carpet just feels so nice to walk on.

Off to get another cup of coffee.
    Marcella
  • Jacean245
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY GAYLA!

Thank you for answering my question MARCELLA. JACKIE said, at least we know it's not our computers or virus's and that's a relief. We could end up with a super site! I was in a "let's clean all the brasses and copper in the house" mood early this morning, smelly job with the "Brasso", but they look so nice and sparkly now in the sunshine and all ready for Christmas. The same as cleaning out the drawers and cupboards one has to be in the mood! Swapped bedrooms too. Unfortunately my favourite and main bedroom is over the furnace in the basement and so it gets rather hot and noisy in the winter. So.....every November I do a 5 month exodus a bit like the snowbirds heading for BUZZ and Florida!
    Anne
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I'm it's so wonderful to hear all about your lives I I am so grateful to you all
    Love Marie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    mvld2w6r1qh9.jpeg
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY GAYLA!!

I just got back from my first session of TM (transcendental meditation).
    It was pretty amazing. I felt like I had a full body massage and very refreshed
    afterwards. Helen has a little retreat house in the back of her own house
    where they teach the meditation. It was a little cold so I will bring my slippers
    tomorrow. Still kind of in a daze feeling the effects but all good.

This format here is really different. They made the boxes much smaller to
    type in. Oh well this is free so I guess they can do what they want.

Doing laundry today and would like to get on m y bike if my body will let me
    I feel like a noodle right now. Ha!

Marcella- What is all involved in winterizing the trailer? I know my hubby
    does our boat at the end of the season. Maybe the same process. Draining
    all lines and adding antifreeze and such.

Anne - You are a busy beaver today shining all your wares.

Shirley
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I went to the post office and on the way I was astounded by several houses with Christmas lights up and decorated Christmas trees in the window! It was upsetting really. I usually feel out of step and behind on the holidays but it isn't even thanksgiving yet. Our town started putting up lights and decor a couple of weeks ago but the official lighting of the Christmas lights is on the day before thanksgiving. I guess we all love the trappings of the holidays and want to get them up as soon as possible. So I am already behind on holiday prep.

MFP seems to be running faster these days. YEA! I've had my problems with it but so far I have resisted the temptation to subscribe to the premium package. But I am not beyond temptation!

Cold and we had frost last night. Good bye flowers for a while. I am now grabbing a bunch of cut flowers every time I go to Costco. Keeps me happy on cold dark days. Even John and the doggies like flowers in the house. Mazzy smells them, her nose high in the air as she licks the air. It is funny to see her do this.

Made a small batch of cranberry-orange fruit bread to give to the kids with thanksgiving leftovers. They are such cute little loaves. I found some wrapping paper with printed turkeys to wrap them. I also found candles shaped like ears of corn. I am having fun. Even if the rest of the family thinks I have lost my mind. It goes back to my childhood memories of those huge family get togethers.

Anne: you are a wonder! I have so much junk, to switch bedrooms would be a monumental effort. I need to polish my brass as well. Not promising anything but I am inspired by your industrious efforts.

Shirley: I am really intrigued by your experience with TM. I have used the YouTube TM and as you might guess, I have never had the kind of intense feelings you describe. I think I would need a teacher.

Buzz: I had this funny memory of my dad eating a whole can of sour cherries and drinking the juice. He said to really get the desired effect, he had to eat them without sweetener of any kind. That way his body knew that this was MEDICINE!

Enough of this gabbing! I need to get going. A big hug and hello to each and every sneaker.
    Patsy
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Friday!! :) Another week done, and soon Lisa's parents will return. Next week is a short week with watching Robby, just Monday and Tuesday due to Thanksgiving break. Tomorrow is Lisa's birthday so Robby and I made some little posters including his hand and foot prints to surprise her when she opened the door. She loved it!!!
    We are expecting some snow tonight into tomorrow, anywhere from a couple of inches to 7. Makes me laugh how they make such a big deal over snow, when I was a kid we didn't get any snow warnings we were just happy to have snow. This is Chicago and every winter we get snow, so don't understand why they make it such a big news story. I do like the first snowfall, it always looks so pretty before it gets all dirty.

Patsy, I think it is great that you go all out for your holidays, I am sure your family appreciates your kindness and your thoughtfulness. I refuse to put up any Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving, one holiday at a time please.

Shirley, your TM sounds wonderful, especially if you are so relaxed you feel like a wet noodle.

Marie, we are grateful to have you in our lives as well. You are the glue that holds us together.

Anne, the format was strange this morning but seems to be normal now.
    So in changing your bedroom for the seasons you get new scenery, sort of a mini vacation.

Marcella, I love your new profile picture, you are very pretty and might I add, young. What benefits do your get with being a MFP premium member??

Buzz, hope the cherry juice helps your gout, it seems to be the choice of most of us who know something about gout. It seems like MFP was doing something that caused a lot of problems for some, so hopefully it is all good now.

LIn, hope all is well with you, I think you are getting snow with us, but probably more.

Have a good Friday night.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time