Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    As soon as my fractured arm heals, I'll be back to C25k from the beginning. :neutral:

That's a setback, for sure. I'm sure it's easier the second time.

I decided not to run today. It was still cool enough when we got back from our 5 mile walk at 8:15, but by the time I could go out for a run, it was in the upper 80s. Too hot for me. Tomorrow is supposed to be a little cooler, so I hope to be able to do both our walk and my run.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    As soon as my fractured arm heals, I'll be back to C25k from the beginning. :neutral:

Wow. Hang in there.
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I finally got to week 3 day 1 of zombies run 5k. It started with a 5 minute free run, then 5 1 minute run/walk intervals. Then an eight minute free run, 2 minute walk followed by another 8 minute free run. I would say this app is probably better for someone who already walks a lot (or other exercise) than someone who is truly starting from zero.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    5K to 10K W1D3 Timed done. I was faster today - probably because I hadn't gone for a 5 mile walk up the hill first. I went further up the hill this time after it said I was halfway, but I ended up doubling back even further at the end of the run. Total distance (excluding warm up and cool down) 3.39 miles for a pace of 12:58.
  • rnurse82
    rnurse82 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Completed the program today!! However I am only at 2.53 miles in 30 mins. So I will keep working for another week then move on the the 10k trainer like others have suggested.

We live in a mountain and I've just being running a small piece that is not too up hill in front of our house. I want to make it up the hills but they are so daunting! I want to be able to run to where I can't even see our house and then head back! I am slowly been adding a few feet of the hill into my run, not sure how else to really build up to it. Any input?
  • NancyN795
    edited June 2016
    Options
    rnurse82 wrote: »
    Completed the program today!! However I am only at 2.53 miles in 30 mins. So I will keep working for another week then move on the the 10k trainer like others have suggested.

We live in a mountain and I've just being running a small piece that is not too up hill in front of our house. I want to make it up the hills but they are so daunting! I want to be able to run to where I can't even see our house and then head back! I am slowly been adding a few feet of the hill into my run, not sure how else to really build up to it. Any input?

I live in the mountains (just barely - Loveland is 4 miles away and is on the plains and there are no steep hills between us and town) and I faced this same problem. Our hill is daunting! I started by walking the hill, months before I even considered running. Walking all the way up the hill (elevation change: about 400 feet, distance from house to top of hill: 2 miles) used to make me feel like I was dying. Now, I can get up it faster but it's still work! When I first decided to do C25K I tried to do it by walking up and then doing the program on the return trip when it's mostly downhill, but I ended up giving up. Then, I did the program on the treadmill last fall/winter but finished, as you did, far short of 5K. Which bugged the heck out of me. I didn't want to go on to 10K until I could run 5K.

So, based on advice here I switched from Zen Labs to RunDouble so that I could do it by distance and as soon as the weather looked like I'd be able to mostly stick to the program, I started all over again outside. I really don't think I could have gone from running 30+ minutes on the treadmill straight to running our hill. By starting over, I got to gradually incorporate the hills (the further you get from our house, the steeper it is, until you get to the top) and I always get to turn around at the halfway point and finish running mostly down hill. The one time I went into town to see how long it took me to run 5K without hills, I kind of missed having the second half be downhill. It's a real relief.

It's worth it to bite the bullet and climb those hills!
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Feeling terrible about missing the past four days... starting week 2 over TOMORROW!!! (My grandpa died, and the past week has been crazy busy with family stuff. No excuses, just life getting in the way.)
  • rnurse82
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Feeling terrible about missing the past four days... starting week 2 over TOMORROW!!! (My grandpa died, and the past week has been crazy busy with family stuff. No excuses, just life getting in the way.)
    I wouldn't start over. Start back where you left off and if you have to repeat them do it. Just what I would do. I was out for 2 weeks and was able to pick up where I left off on week 3.
    NancyN795 wrote: »

I live in the mountains (just barely - Loveland is 4 miles away and is on the plains and there are no steep hills between us and town) and I faced this same problem. Our hill is daunting! I started by walking the hill, months before I even considered running. Walking all the way up the hill (elevation change: about 400 feet, distance from house to top of hill: 2 miles) used to make me feel like I was dying. Now, I can get up it faster but it's still work! When I first decided to do C25K I tried to do it by walking up and then doing the program on the return trip when it's mostly downhill, but I ended up giving up. Then, I did the program on the treadmill last fall/winter but finished, as you did, far short of 5K. Which bugged the heck out of me. I didn't want to go on to 10K until I could run 5K.

So, based on advice here I switched from Zen Labs to RunDouble so that I could do it by distance and as soon as the weather looked like I'd be able to mostly stick to the program, I started all over again outside. I really don't think I could have gone from running 30+ minutes on the treadmill straight to running our hill. By starting over, I got to gradually incorporate the hills (the further you get from our house, the steeper it is, until you get to the top) and I always get to turn around at the halfway point and finish running mostly down hill. The one time I went into town to see how long it took me to run 5K without hills, I kind of missed having the second half be downhill. It's a real relief.

It's worth it to bite the bullet and climb those hills!
    Thanks Nancy! So, I am kind of taking this as start doing the hill during my run even if I have to walk it?? I've walked up it twice and my chest felt like it was going to explode lol not sure of the elevations. I live in the middle of the Catskill Mountains in NY. I will look into DL the Rundouble app!

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. :) I'll give it a shot!
  • NancyN795
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »

Sorry to hear about your grandpa. Don't feel bad about missing your running. Life happens. Just start back up again where you feel comfortable.
    Thanks Nancy! So, I am kind of taking this as start doing the hill during my run even if I have to walk it?? I've walked up it twice and my chest felt like it was going to explode lol not sure of the elevations. I live in the middle of the Catskill Mountains in NY. I will look into DL the Rundouble app!

Yes, start doing the hill, even if you have to walk it. However, I did find it helpful to be following the program. When I was just doing "I'll run when I can and walk when I can't" I sort of defaulted to walking a lot. With the program to follow, I could tell myself that I only had to run a little longer, even if it was uphill or celebrate a bit when the walking interval happened to coincide with the hardest part of the hill. Like I said, I didn't start running until after I'd been walking the hill regularly for months. I still had to work up to getting all the way up it just walking. We'd only go part way up and then extend it a little bit each day (it gets gradually harder as we get farther from our house), or we'd stop for a rest part way up. It's been really good for me to do it and the view is great!
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I did week 3 day 2 on Sunday. Things are progressing pretty well.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Did W4D2 I think, today. There were two 5-min runs and two 3-min runs. I kind of went off the diet rails this weekend, and my legs were so heavy today. :( Guess I learned a lesson. OR DID I? Probably not. :)
  • upsaluki
    Options
    I did week 3 day 3 of the zombie run 5k. I ran the 5 minute free form at the beginning and both 8 minute sessions at the end. Might have to break out the foam roller tonight.
  • rnurse82
    Options
    Great job everyone!!
    Hoping to get a run in tonight. However, it looks like its going to rain all afternoon until 8/9 pm.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    Did 5K to 10K W2D1 timed. I got to the top of the hill before turning around! I still find it hard to believe that I can actually run like this. It just amazes me. Not only that I can do it, but I don't hate it and I feel good afterwards. I'm not wiped out for the rest of the day.

Anyway, my distance today was 3.89 miles for a pace of 13:07 (4.57 mph). I did drop to a walk about 30 seconds before the end of the 2nd run interval - this was at the steepest part of the hill, where the grade is somewhere around 15%. (If I'd realized I had so little time left, maybe I could have toughed it out.) I felt really good towards the end of the 3rd run interval, like I could run forever, but by the time I got near the end of the 4th (last) run interval, I was really ready to stop. I think I'll complete week 2 of the timed version and then start over using the distance version (which would tack on almost another 1/2 mile onto what I did today).