Oops. Ate the.......

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I'm a newbie (3 weeks) but I was told no booze. Alcohol has carbs and your body treats it differently....what gives?? I'm sooooo confused

@midwesterner85 - Can you shed some sober light on @saltysailors ' drunken dilemma?

I can answer that from a BG standpoint - it depends on what alcoholic beverage. Most all beers have carbs, though most hard liquors have less carbs than beer or no carbs at all. Don't even think about the carbs in ciders, and all of the alcoholic beverages with carbs will spike BG (except your body does treat alcohol differently.... see below).

Normally (when sober), a person's liver is releasing small amounts of glycogen to provide BG throughout the day (not just when exercising). Your liver can't multi-task to process alcohol AND release glycogen simultaneously. In fact, it may require glucose to process the alcohol, so some of us diabetics notice a drop in BG even when the alcohol we are consuming has carbs. Personally, I don't get that - my BG will spike if I consume beer, despite that my liver stops releasing glycogen.

The challenge for those of us on insulin, though, is that we have lost our natural ability to deal with hypoglycemia. So when my BG gets too low, it is common to release some glycogen. It may take a long time and I may be low for awhile... I once passed out and had a seizure when I lived alone and was unemployed, so nobody expected me to be anywhere. I ultimately woke up without any help because of a glycogen release. EMT's (or others if available) will sometimes give those who are hypoglycemic and unconscious (i.e. they cannot eat) a shot of glucagon, which will prompt a glycogen dump. That won't work when the patient is processing alcohol.

So in summary, alcohol with carbs will spike BG and prevent glycogen release... depending on various factors, that may spike BG or these things may cancel each other out. Alcohol without carbs will temporarily prevent glycogen release. A non-T1D will create insulin to deal with those BG spikes (this will be stored as fat).
  • saltysailors
    saltysailors Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I'm a newbie (3 weeks) but I was told no booze. Alcohol has carbs and your body treats it differently....what gives?? I'm sooooo confused

@midwesterner85 - Can you shed some sober light on @saltysailors ' drunken dilemma?

I can answer that from a BG standpoint - it depends on what alcoholic beverage. Most all beers have carbs, though most hard liquors have less carbs than beer or no carbs at all. Don't even think about the carbs in ciders, and all of the alcoholic beverages with carbs will spike BG (except your body does treat alcohol differently.... see below).

Normally (when sober), a person's liver is releasing small amounts of glycogen to provide BG throughout the day (not just when exercising). Your liver can't multi-task to process alcohol AND release glycogen simultaneously. In fact, it may require glucose to process the alcohol, so some of us diabetics notice a drop in BG even when the alcohol we are consuming has carbs. Personally, I don't get that - my BG will spike if I consume beer, despite that my liver stops releasing glycogen.

The challenge for those of us on insulin, though, is that we have lost our natural ability to deal with hypoglycemia. So when my BG gets too low, it is common to release some glycogen. It may take a long time and I may be low for awhile... I once passed out and had a seizure when I lived alone and was unemployed, so nobody expected me to be anywhere. I ultimately woke up without any help because of a glycogen release. EMT's (or others if available) will sometimes give those who are hypoglycemic and unconscious (i.e. they cannot eat) a shot of glucagon, which will prompt a glycogen dump. That won't work when the patient is processing alcohol.

So in summary, alcohol with carbs will spike BG and prevent glycogen release... depending on various factors, that may spike BG or these things may cancel each other out. Alcohol without carbs will temporarily prevent glycogen release. A non-T1D will create insulin to deal with those BG spikes (this will be stored as fat).

Thanks for the in depth explaination! I am not diabetic, but since I am trying to get rid of fat, not store more....I'll stay away from the alcohol until I am at goal weight and on maintenance for a while
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Sticky rice. Dang it.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    According to Ketogenicdiet.org...
    "How does alcohol affect ketosis?

"Alcohol does have an impact on weight loss through a ketogenic diet, even when you drink low carb or carb free alcoholic beverages. This is because the body can use alcohol as a source of fuel. It isn’t stored as glycogen, like carbs, so once it is burned off you will go straight back into ketosis, however this does mean you are losing some fat burning time when you drink. How much this affects your weight loss varies between individuals. Some people find their weight loss stalls if they drink anything alcoholic, whereas others find they can drink responsible amounts of wine, hard liquor or a low carb beer (they do exist) and keep losing weight."
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    Hmmm....I bet there's a low carb stuffing out there...I've already made low carb gravy by subbing real flour for coconut or almond. Almond makes the gravy a little grainy but tasty. I have to experiment with stuffing and start now so I can post a recipe that's fabulous come the holidays.

I feel like this could be easily broken down and used as a stuffing: ruled.me/low-carb-focaccia-bread/
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I had a chocolate lunch snack bar last night. It wasn't even any good. Shouldn't have bothered. LOL
  • saltysailors
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    According to Ketogenicdiet.org...
    "How does alcohol affect ketosis?

"Alcohol does have an impact on weight loss through a ketogenic diet, even when you drink low carb or carb free alcoholic beverages. This is because the body can use alcohol as a source of fuel. It isn’t stored as glycogen, like carbs, so once it is burned off you will go straight back into ketosis, however this does mean you are losing some fat burning time when you drink. How much this affects your weight loss varies between individuals. Some people find their weight loss stalls if they drink anything alcoholic, whereas others find they can drink responsible amounts of wine, hard liquor or a low carb beer (they do exist) and keep losing weight."

Perhaps, I'll get to this point at some time.....but for now I'll just stay away form it completely
  • saltysailors
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    2dums3aav72s.jpg

That's how I am with Oreos...they are not allowed in this house...it's the only store bought cookie I do this to! Now homemade chocolate chip with pecans.....not allowed either...sigh....
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Ate a pint of So Delicious No Sugar Added Coconut Ice Cream.

Not horrible - 20g net carbs for the whole thing. But it does throw my carb count up (I'm usually 25g net per day) and I measured out a serving and ate it.

Then I grabbed the rest of the pint and ate it all. Ugh...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Not horrible - 20g net carbs for the whole thing. But it does throw my carb count up (I'm usually 25g net per day) and I measured out a serving and ate it.

At least it was a pint, and not a half gallon? :-o
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

At least it was a pint, and not a half gallon? :-o

Thank you for your 'there is always a silver lining' attitude. Appreciate it!
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    Hmmm....I bet there's a low carb stuffing out there...I've already made low carb gravy by subbing real flour for coconut or almond. Almond makes the gravy a little grainy but tasty. I have to experiment with stuffing and start now so I can post a recipe that's fabulous come the holidays.

I feel like this could be easily broken down and used as a stuffing: ruled.me/low-carb-focaccia-bread/

Oh yes!
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Pizza pizza el supremo pizza.
    Delicious and only about 1000 carbs.
    :'(
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    bag of pretzel chips.
    carb hangover
    back on track today
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I ate a *kitten* ton of pork rinds yesterday. I had cravings something fierce. You know, hormonal?
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    But pork rinds not so high in carbs! :)
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OMG! The carb devil is working at Danone's R&D! I just had oikos greek yogurt with coffee, 18.8 carbs and very sweet but sooooo good! That's most of my carbs for the day gone. :open_mouth:

Why, oh why was I shopping before lunch? The way to deal with the carb devil is to never have carbs at home and the way to never buy carbs is to always shop after eating! Must get someone to eat the other 3 in the pack!

::flowerforyou::
  • KetoneKaren
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @KetoGirl83 At least it has 6 g fiber although I know this forum's rules are to count total carbs. I bet it was pretty delish. t19132.gif
  • Midnightgypsy0
    Midnightgypsy0 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Going to the cottage this weekend to eat fresh caught bass. Not many carbs there.
    ;)