Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    goldenday wrote: »
    Officially completed a full 5k run. Total time was rather shocking at 51 mins, but I hadn't been well and skipped running for 20 days before I started where i left off from.

Congratulations!
  • mph323
    Options
    W1D2. Working on the treadmill due to time and weather constraints. It's odd looking at the log and seeing I completed 0.2 total miles :o
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was so busy that I forgot to post!

I finished week 8 day 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations graduate!

I probably asked this exact question last year, but what do you all do when you're sick? Run anyway as long as you feel remotely up for it? Wait until you're completely better? Somewhere in between? some background-I have asthma and am on an inhaled corticosteroid, so I'm more likely to catch whatever's going around. I also have two boys, one in elementary and one in preschool, and they're about as good at hygiene as you'd expect. They're at two different schools, and I work one day/week at my youngest's preschool, so we're all bringing home germs constantly. I've pretty much had colds continuously since February, and the one I have now is really kicking my butt.
  • Meluuu
    Meluuu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did w2d2 today on the treadmill. I didn't run for three days, but went out biking 2 of them.

@RoteBook I don't know much about running with the cold. I've read the some mild exercise might be ok, but if you get exhausted your body might take longer to recover.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    RoteBook wrote: »
    Yesterday was so busy that I forgot to post!

I finished week 8 day 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations graduate!

I probably asked this exact question last year, but what do you all do when you're sick? Run anyway as long as you feel remotely up for it? Wait until you're completely better? Somewhere in between? some background-I have asthma and am on an inhaled corticosteroid, so I'm more likely to catch whatever's going around. I also have two boys, one in elementary and one in preschool, and they're about as good at hygiene as you'd expect. They're at two different schools, and I work one day/week at my youngest's preschool, so we're all bringing home germs constantly. I've pretty much had colds continuously since February, and the one I have now is really kicking my butt.

When I was doing C25K, I tried to run anyway, depending on how sick I was. I'd likely give it a shot. You can always stop if you start running and decide it's too much.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • mph323
    Options
    Finished W1D3 yesterday! Didn't really want to do it but pushed myself out the door and felt great after :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    joshllb wrote: »
    I've finished! W8D3 complete and ran 5.5k on my final 35 minute run. I genuinely couldn't run for a minute at the beginning of this programme, DO NOT GIVE UP! Now... what next?

Move on to a 5 to 10k plan?
    Keep running 3 to 4 times a week until you decide what's next.

Congrats on finishing!
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've finished! W8D3 complete and ran 5.5k on my final 35 minute run. I genuinely couldn't run for a minute at the beginning of this programme, DO NOT GIVE UP! Now... what next?

Start the 5K to 10K plan? We can always use more people to post in the Bridge to 10K forum! LOL

Just keep running so that you don't have to start over again in a year. It is amazing to think how difficult it was when we all started, isn't it? Congrats on graduating!
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!! Congratulations!!

I'm almost halfway done; workout 15 of 28 done. Plus, it was a 2.5 mile run, and we ran 2.75 before stopping! Our pace was just under 13 min/mi. Tomorrow, we have interval runs; 13-1 minute fast runs with 1 minute slow periods between. Those are killer! Definitely helping our pace though. I fully believe that we aren't going to have any problems completing the 5K next month, and even contemplating signing is up for a second one that I just found out is the week before. My mini says he's up for it. I think it would be awesome to see how much our pace could change in a week. Plus, we run 3-4 times a week anyways, and by then 5K should be the norm anyways.
  • joshllb
    joshllb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    woodwardtm wrote: »

Start the 5K to 10K plan? We can always use more people to post in the Bridge to 10K forum! LOL

Just keep running so that you don't have to start over again in a year. It is amazing to think how difficult it was when we all started, isn't it? Congrats on graduating!

Yep there's no way I'm giving up or stopping. I will definitely miss the structure though so think ill have to go with another app. I think I'll go with the 10k option rather than the faster 5k. What app would you recommend for the 10k? Is the fitness22 one any good? I notice it starts at "Couch", but I'd obviously be joining at the 5k stage.

• joshllb
    joshllb Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hmm on second thoughts, I think I'll try and better my time by using the 5k pacer app first and go from there! Then hopefully when I go to a 10k I'll be ready to run a little quicker!
  • woodwardtm
    Options

Yep there's no way I'm giving up or stopping. I will definitely miss the structure though so think ill have to go with another app. I think I'll go with the 10k option rather than the faster 5k. What app would you recommend for the 10k? Is the fitness22 one any good? I notice it starts at "Couch", but I'd obviously be joining at the 5k stage.

I used the original Couch to 5K for my first set, then transitioned to the app from the same company. It is by Active and is a 5K to 10K app. I really like it. I think the diversity in the runs helps keep things interesting. Each week you have a shorter, easier run, then a speed work type run, then a long run. I think it was only $1.99 and you can connect with other runners who use the app. I used it because I had friends that were planning to do it.
  • woodwardtm
    Options
    Hmm on second thoughts, I think I'll try and better my time by using the 5k pacer app first and go from there! Then hopefully when I go to a 10k I'll be ready to run a little quicker!

The 10K app will increase your 5K speed as well due to the speed work runs and the diversity in the plan.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options

I personally really like Fitness22's app.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

Congrats on completing the program! I agree with @woodwardtm in that moving to running the 10K program will help your speed for the 5K... I took off 2:30 min off my 5K time in a month after finishing the program for my 1st race and another 1:30 min off my time about a month later for my 2nd race.

For the C25K I used the Zen Labs app, but moved to the Rundouble app for the 10K because it uses GPS and you can choose to either run for time or for distance. For the C25K, that was one of the things that I didn't like... not knowing if after I completed if I could actually run a full 5K. I stuck with the program and it ended up not being a problem, but I did the distance version of the 10K program instead. Good luck!