We should do another "Meativore May."

Options

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    If I only use the seeds from my jalapeños as seasoning instead of the whole peppers, is that acceptable? The taste of fresh from the garden peppers is just better than any sauces or seasoning.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    If I only use the seeds from my jalapeños as seasoning instead of the whole peppers, is that acceptable? The taste of fresh from the garden peppers is just better than any sauces or seasoning.

I totally will allow a slice or two of jalapeno, although I cook with them and then don't eat the vegetable itself. I'll allow the seeds. Personally, cutting them up and soaking them (seeds and all) in vinegar makes a nice hot sauce that I can sprinkle on stuff.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    At first meativore May scared me and I thought no way I could do it. After reading all the posts, maybe I can?!? I mapped out a list of dinners for the whole month. Someone suggested dinner leftovers for next day lunch, I can do that. Most days recently I am content with just coffee for breakfast. I can even give up trivia if I'm having HWC. Pickle juice will be a must. Hubby is being supportive, I can easily make veg for him while making my meat.
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    At first meativore May scared me and I thought no way I could do it. After reading all the posts, maybe I can?!? I mapped out a list of dinners for the whole month. Someone suggested dinner leftovers for next day lunch, I can do that. Most days recently I am content with just coffee for breakfast. I can even give up trivia if I'm having HWC. Pickle juice will be a must. Hubby is being supportive, I can easily make veg for him while making my meat.

This is how I felt, I am coming around to the idea the more I read. May is just a bad month for me to try this, I may start mid month and go into June.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    [quote="PaulaJSchiller;39399258"

This is how I felt, I am coming around to the idea the more I read. May is just a bad month for me to try this, I may start mid month and go into June. [/quote]

That may work better for me too. I have Mother's Day and my anniversary on the 14, and something else prior to that. ... but nothing in the later half and early June.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    If later is better, just start later. Some of us do this all the time. You won't be alone.
  • missjosefina
    missjosefina Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Count me in!! Xxx
  • missjosefina
    Options
    I've been doing lchf for 7 weeks now. In 2003, I had great success with original Atkins. In 2013, I had limited success on Atkins New Diet Revolution.

At the end of 2014, I started getting horrendous digestive complaints that lasted for nearly 18 months, when after receiving a diagnosis of diverticular disease AND ibs, I started to see a Low Fodmap dietitian as part of the NHS. Low fodmap has improved my digestive situation but I still had bloating and decided to try this WOE again alongside the low fodmap.

When I was accepted on to this group 10 days ago, the first thing I did was read through group expectations. Since then I've been reading through loads of the discussion forums that have been very helpfully collated by the moderators.

Whilst still being new to lchf, whilst still getting my head around the science, whilst still checking out something before I make an opinion on it, here's a bit of advice: rather than put forward an argument, instead put forward a question. Rather than state someone is wrong because their advice doesn't tie in with what we "know", first check out whether what we know is actually right.

I've been loving this forum because there hasn't been any disparaging, derogatory or dismissive comments being made. But I had to stop reading the discussion after page 4 because of the very thing we're advised to be mindful of.

Us newbies are new to keto and we came to this forum to learn from those having great success with it. Let's enjoy learning from them xxx
  • missjosefina
    Options
    ... Apologies to all if the issues I highlighted in my last post actually ended 4 pages ago :D xxx
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    ... Apologies to all if the issues I highlighted in my last post actually ended 4 pages ago :D xxx

They did but I get what you're saying.
    If there's one thing we should all know by now, its that we shouldn't be so sure about any of the conventional methods we've always believed were true. Especially if there's large groups of people finding great benefits by doing the opposite. The truth may be that it not for everyone, but it's clearly for some people and that's enough reason to discuss and introduce the idea to those that have never considered it.
    Nobody gets bent out of shape if someone tries something and decides it's not for them. But that doesn't mean it's for no one.
  • MissMorts
    MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I do have a question for you all -- what do you do for the midday meal when you work outside the house? When I did it last time, I worked from home and had the luxury of cooking up a pound of ground meat for lunch. I can shift that to dinner, but I can't fast for that long and need to eat by noon. I tried cooking the ground up (even if only barely) and then reheating it at work, but that was...lackluster. I like being able to eat it right out of the skillet. ;)
    I'm super lucky, my office has a toasted sandwich maker, I just throw on some baking paper (so the vegetarians don't get upset by my use of the shared machine) and then whack on any piece of meat that takes my fancy B) ground beef, venison, eye fillet steak.... haven't quite gotten to Chicken yet but it's on the list!
  • MissMorts
    MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I think I'm in!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I have decided, I can make a seasoning out of the peppers from my garden rather than eating them straight...at least for May, so I'm in. And, what I don't use, I will pickle for later use.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    MissMorts wrote: »
    I'm super lucky, my office has a toasted sandwich maker, I just throw on some baking paper (so the vegetarians don't get upset by my use of the shared machine) and then whack on any piece of meat that takes my fancy B) ground beef, venison, eye fillet steak.... haven't quite gotten to Chicken yet but it's on the list!
    [/quote]

That's such a good idea....Even for mine at home because they are such a pain to clean sometimes! :)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    i remember the first time this was done, I had just started low carb and new this was way too much for me at that time. now I'm contemplating it. I've been eating high protein low fat for a month now for a six week program that is up on may 6th. I cant even tell you how much I miss fat and I keep thinking about all the yummy fat I will eat once I can again. thinking this might be fun to mix in with my regular lchf here and there.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    canadjineh wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    ModHat On

Please move all discussion regarding the benefits of plants, vegetables, and fiber to a different thread. Those topics are off-topic here.

DARN! It took me way too long to peck my post out on the phone, so I missed your post. Sorry about that.

Do Lupins count as veg.....?)

How much are you consuming? Why? What are the benefits you're looking for?

It's a plant, but are you using it in amounts that count as seasoning?

:joy:
    I hadn't seen that one.
    Sorry, Goat, it's a Monty Python skit.

:lol: "Shut up! This is a hold up, not a botany lesson!"
    "So much for the lupins..."

All I could think of in 'opposition' to SPAM was "And now, the larch" - don't think I've ever seen the lupines one and I'm a big fan, lol.
    Oooops, sorry, off track....

Spam, spam, spam, spam.

For the last 30 years, I have been unable to walk past a larch without snickering... Or walking funny. ;)

And any mention of cheese still brings a smile to my face.

@canadjineh, SPAM is not off track here, it is all fat and meat, no veggies were ever killed to produce SPAM.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

@canadjineh, SPAM is not off track here, it is all fat and meat, no veggies were ever killed to produce SPAM.
    I know SPAM is on track lol. I just meant that lupines, larches, and Monty Python might be off track.

• FIT_Goat
    Options
    I know the SPAM sketch. Never seen the other one.

I haven't had SPAM in ages. This is making me want some.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

I know SPAM is on track lol. I just meant that lupines, larches, and Monty Python might be off track.

I could never hang out anywhere that Monty Python was not welcome. Just sayin'.