minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
Hi all,

Re-post from the newbies thread.

Name: Sarah
Current weight: CW: 88.8 kg / 195.4 lbs
Height: 5'6"
Past struggles you've faced or are facing:
  • Clearly I eat too much!
  • Injured my leg/hip a few years ago while running which has really made my exercise suffer.
  • Totally burnt out on the gym as up until a few years ago I'd been going pretty much consistently since I was about 10 years old (competitive swimmer when I was a kid).
  • Swimming is my preferred method of exercise but I can't find a pool that is close that isn't:
    1. gross
    2. outdoors in full sun.
  • Up until a year ago I was swimming, in the lovely 50m outdoor pool, 2500m on 5 or 6 days a week - I quickly stopped that when my partner mentioned that my skin looked like it was aging really quickly and I realized that the constant Australian sun on my body was doing me no favors (this is with putting massive amounts of sunscreen on, before and between sets)
  • Since stopping exercise other than walking, I've gained close to 15 kg/33 lbs and I was overweight even before the weight gain!
  • I miss swimming SO MUCH!
  • I work from home which means the fridge is always there!
Goal weight range: Would be ok with 73 kg / 160 lbs but my body is most happy when it is around 68 kg / 150 lbs
Time of your OMAD: around 6-8pm
OMAD start date: 23 May 2017 (this time)
Weight lost so far: 1.9 kg / 4.2 lbs

I've been doing some form of IF (Leangains, ESE, etc.) for years - this is a way of eating that has always worked for me and worked for the large amount of exercise I do (did). I was doing OMAD sometime about a year ago to try and get my weight down - can't remember exactly why I stopped and started the eating free-for-all!!

Anyway, will probably start a separate accountability thread and go from there!

Everybody's results look encouraging and I need all the motivation I can get... :)

Sarah

Replies

• minigrrll
    Options
    Forgot to mention I am a vegetarian (who tries to be as close to vegan as possible - after reading Dr. Greger's book "How Not to Die" - but likes cheese too much!)
  • minigrrll
    Options
    I am also a super nerd (coder/information analyst/IT geek)

My weight loss chart so far (I grew up and lived in Canada until I was 30, lived in the UK (where I was born) from 30-40 and then moved to Australia - hence the different units (lbs, kg, st) used - I know what I weighed at certain points in my life but in different units depending on where I was living, so I need to track them all!):

d49g0x3gp011.png

The highlighed row is my official weigh day (Friday) for the week, but I will try to weigh every day as I like the data (there are a ton of not shown columns for calculating running averages etc!).
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    minigrrll wrote: »
    Forgot to mention I am a vegetarian (who tries to be as close to vegan as possible - after reading Dr. Greger's book "How Not to Die" - but likes cheese too much!)

swimmer and veggie trying to be vegan I already like this thread haha . I swim in my small 25 meters gym indoor pool it has so much chlorine that it literally burn my lips, not to mention about the gross stuff the old ladies from the aerobic class drop to the bottom from time to time, there's no way around this type of stuff if you wanna swim for most people. I'd kill to have an olympic pool within reach that actually uses the lanes in 50m's length

welcome and good luck with your weight loss
  • minigrrll
    edited May 2017
    Options
    OMG - that's exactly the issue with the gross indoor pools around. The aerobics classes, the over-abundant chlorine, the people WALKING in the lanes (last time I checked it was a SWIMMING pool), and the fact that you can't actually see through the water to the end of the lane. Shudder.... I have to enjoy exercise to actually do it and there is no way I can swim in those places.

This is what the lovely outdoor 50m pool looks like on a gorgeous winter's day a couple of years ago:

v3ev68439wlu.jpg

If I could make it there in the mornings or evenings, I'd be there in a heartbeat, but my work schedule doesn't allow a morning visit and there's no room to swim in the afternoon/evening due to the kids' swim team practices...

Boggles my mind that in Australia, with such high skin cancer incidence, that this pool isn't at least some percentage covered by shade sails. The kiddie pool is covered, but I guess they figure that anyone over the age of 5 doesn't need any sun protection... So bizarre. I actually still have swimsuit tan-lines from swimming in that pool and I haven't been swimming in the sun in over a year.

ETA: Looking at this picture, I just noticed that the stands where you can sit to watch are covered by sails. UGH!

• mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    Hello! Our stats are very close to the same... Welcome and I look forward to hearing about your progress!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great. They had a great pool close to where I worked that shut down. I was going just twice a week and would do about 1k-2k meters (I was also running 3xweek and biking twice a week on same days as swimming).
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    that's a good looking pool, maybe if you limit it to 3 times per week, and keep it to 45 mins strictly timed, quick warm up and throw in a few lactate sets, too good to pass up haha

anyway, with the one-two punch of the daily dozen+OMAD you will get your swimmer body back, guaranteed :)
  • minigrrll
    Options
    x3nomorph wrote: »
    that's a good looking pool, maybe if you limit it to 3 times per week, and keep it to 45 mins strictly timed, quick warm up and throw in a few lactate sets, too good to pass up haha

anyway, with the one-two punch of the daily dozen+OMAD you will get your swimmer body back, guaranteed :)

I wish - but I'm thinking even 45 mins is too much Australian sun!! I think I've just got to give up the dream for now.... The swimmer body would be nice though!!
  • minigrrll
    edited May 2017
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Swimming is great. They had a great pool close to where I worked that shut down. I was going just twice a week and would do about 1k-2k meters (I was also running 3xweek and biking twice a week on same days as swimming).

Sounds like me a couple of years ago.. I am thinking of dusting the bike off as it's winter now and cool enough in the day to go out for a ride.

• minigrrll
    Options
    Hello! Our stats are very close to the same... Welcome and I look forward to hearing about your progress!

Thanks, will check out your posts...

• mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This community is amazing and you will find great support here! Keep up the good work :smile:
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I hope you enjoy the group and all the support it offers!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    That pool is gigantic, I would love to try it out but on a cloudy day because I can't be in the sun either :)
  • minigrrll
    Options
    Thanks everybody!
  • minigrrll
    Options
    Today's weigh in:
    mhgbe6zetumu.png
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Nice on the loss!
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Welcome :) glad to have you here! Yep the sun is pretty intense down under :)
    I grew up in Australia and I miss it terribly!
  • minigrrll
    Options
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    Welcome :) glad to have you here! Yep the sun is pretty intense down under :)
    I grew up in Australia and I miss it terribly!

Thanks! Where do you live now?

• minigrrll
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Today's weight - not using my spreadsheet chart as I gained and trendweight is nicer (and much more realistic) about gains!

(Ignore the goal - I just set up a small initial goal so it isn't as depressing/overwhelming as looking at the date it expects me to get to my real goal...)

xwxs15l850mg.png

• minigrrll
    Options
    Though it is still pretty depressing that it thinks it will take me 2 months to lose 7.1 more pounds! That should change though, as it gets more data to work with...