Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jacean2017
    jacean2017 Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Oh boy JACKIE, you and me both! I moved into the second bedroom with the second best mattress because the main bedroom is above the furnace and water heater below in the basement and in the winter the rumblings and switching on and off, plus the heat not to mention the fridge noises in the kitchen next door keep me wide awake all night. After virtually crawling to and fro to the bathroom during the night with excruciating back pain I finally threw in the towel at 3:30am and armed with sheets and pillows moved back into the main bedroom! The Bean viewed all this with resignation and we finally settled in our beds where we fell into glorious sleep until 7:00am. I think I had been sleeping on the hard edge as well. Oh no! You didn't view my enlarged kitchen! The wood is solid though and we are loathe to buy today's attractive but more flimsy whatever!

My "garden" room would make a super cool third bedroom IF it didn't have the four stairs leading down to the back door. The stairs that Jilly can now run up and down. It does have an attractive glass door to these stairs, but otherwise any visiting stove repair man or plumber would pass ny bed. That would make the main bedroom a lovely warm dining room because it leads off the kitchen. Yes.....it is a weird house, and yet I'm very fond of the old thing.

I am getting to be more of a believer in astrology after this week of peculiar happenings for everybody not just me! It doesn't help having a friend in Cornwall, Ontario who in her working days was a professional reader of ones fate via the stars. Lovely lady apart from this alarming choice of career and she would wag a finger at old Libra here and say "watch out for accidents" and I rarely believed but she was rarely wrong. Auto suggestion I still think, lol.

Anne, painful crawl round the grocery store today.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,094 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) This day seems to be getting away from me for some reason! I am sitting for Robby today because Lisa is going to her aunt's wake but taking Max with her. She doesn't have enough breast milk frozen for her to leave him. She want's me there at 3:00 so I can't fiddle around too much on my computer.

Anne and Jackie, I am sorry you have both hurt your backs. My pain is in my ear and I can't figure out what it might be. I am thinking sinus so I am using some nose drops to see if that helps. I do read my horoscope on "my yahoo" each morning but just for fun. Not really a big believer but will admit some birth signs hit the nail on the head.

Jackie, my back is a little sore from when we went to the farm and Max was in his car seat in the back crying so I twisted myself to hold his hand and keep my seat belt on at the same time. I forget I am old some time. lol

Buzz, still no word on a brace for your hand?

Lin, must have a busy day again.

Patsy, I was also intrigued with your son's profession, sounds wonderful.

Have a great day everyone!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    And the day begins....yes we are living in interesting times. A foggy misty cool day. This is our trash collection day. Isn't it odd? I always feel good to get rid of my weekly icky stuff. We have to do our recycle stuff our selves. We have to go to the dump and there are special bins to put various types of things to recycle. It is an enormous effort but it has to be done regularly.

John is doing his "busy as a bee" thing. He is getting ready for fall and winter. I believe there are such differences in the DNA in people. John really must always be doing some huge thing. He can hardly sit quietly. I, on the other hand, am extremely good at being lazy. It takes me longer than it should to do what I need to do. The dungeon still remains a sort of large room sized junk and trash container.

One of my new things is painting smooth river rocks with some fun image that turns them into rock people. I place them in parks and along hiking trails. Other artists are doing the same thing. Around our little forests I hung little ribbons with notes of hope and good vibes. I am hoping the good vibes dissolve and spread out in the wind across the land. John saw my little calligraphy notes and giggled that he thought they were price tags at first. When he was laughing and talking to our son about them, our son said "I was the only kid in school with a mom that believed in fairies and Santa Clause." I think little wood carvings of forest people would be fun for next spring. Like they have in Norway...but these will need to be smaller and portable. They would not the Norse carvings. They will be Oregon forest folk. Just a fun thing for kids to find.
    Patsy
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,141 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to say hello. Yes, a busy day and packing up for the papercrafting evening at the library. Well, really late afternoon and the evening. The Tai Chi/Qigong class was very good once again. I had several more errands to do with an especially long wait at the post office. It did not bother me too much but a woman behind me was just so angry that the clerk was talking to the customers about things other than strictly business. She asked the lady behind me--are you planning to visit with the clerk or just do your business? Yipes. I think she said it loud enough that she hoped the clerk would hear it. I do not think it worked. Haaaa.

I have been zipping about the house hoping to get in enough steps and flights of stairs for the day.

I hope everyone will feel better. Sore backs, painful hands, all should be banished.

Hugs.

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    SANDY, my doctor thinks its neuropathy rather than carpal tunnel, so no brace so far! I make more mistakes typing since this started. I'm sort of getting used to the burn! Sympathy for JACKIE and ANNE for their pain, love Anne's neat kitchen, and Love Patsy's stone people! I enjoyed all the little "folk" in Norway...so funny, but I can't recall the names of the gnomes! Anyway, gotta dress for dinner, so OXOXO to all!
    <3 Buzz
    .........................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen..........................
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Sunshine and showers so my early morning pile of washing will have to be aired indoors.... something I hate! My back continues to be a nuisance so I won't sit at my laptop for long. We did manage a walk across the moors this morning dodging most of the showers so I do think keeping moving is better than sitting still even though the pain evaporates when I do park my backside. Ibuprofen is helping to take the edge off so it's housework at a steady pace this morning while I do my best to avoid the news which is just so soul destroying at the moment.... apart from that right wing gent finally leaving the White House, well one of them anyway!!

My scales tell me I've lost one of the pounds I added last week in spite of a rather delicious sticky bun I shared with my neighbour when we visited the allotment on Thursday. Nothing like that in the house, just some delicious local smoked mackerel that I will enjoy with home grown potatoes and runner beans for lunch. I'm loving the idea of little rock people in Oregon. We have pixies in Cornwall although rarely see them..... only on late night walks home from the local pub!!!

Time to stand up so I'll wish you all a wonderfully peaceful Saturday.

Jackie
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Hello, I woke up feeling a whole lot better than yesterday, just a little twinge. I hope your back pain dissolves as the day wears on JACKIE.
    I'm not quite sure what to make of little rock people! I sort of like my rocks and pebbles left as nature intended, beautiful. A lump of clay transformed, that's different. This is because I had late family members working at Hornsea potteries and in a different life did a bit of terra cotta modelling myself. My auntie had a life size Grecian head I created, it sat on the hall table and for years my uncle put his trilby hat on it when he arrived home. It ended up in someone's rockery once they had gone and now it's probably in the local rubbish dump to be dug up in future years by enthusiastic kids from Hull university, lol. Maybe your rock people will be studied as well PATSY. Did the Vikings reach Oregon sort of thing.

I've decided to ignore the politics of south of the border, all things eventually pass, and meanwhile maybe I will join PATSY in rock painting after all!
    Anne.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello, glad to hear you are feeling better Anne and Jackie I trust you will be on the mend soon. Sending along my concern and best wishes.

I am chugging along on empty today. Really, I seem to be incapable of late nights these days. We were paper crafting, chatting, laughing and singing along to old rock music last night. Loads of fun but I didn't get home and unpacked until midnight. Interesting to see there was another outdoor party going on in the next block up from me. Although I thought their music was not as enjoyable as what we had been listening to earlier.

Second load of laundry chugging away, online bills paid, sorted and packed for church tomorrow.

Time to slurp down some caffeine. I checked my calendar and darn, I need another finished birthday card for a gentleman who belongs to my church but is unable to attend as he no longer drives and his girl friend isn't too interested in bringing him. I understand it is very difficult for them to manage his mobility problems. It is easy to feel overlooked and forgotten so the poor guy will be stuck with a card from me. Haaa

I am looking forward to the new season of Endeavor starting tomorrow evening. Has anyone watched "Ireland's Wild Coast" also on PBS? I have seen a bit of it and need to watch it on their app before it disappears. Beautiful.

I have a friend who is painting a few rocks and she leaves them at the campgrounds they visit. It is fun for her and her grandchildren enjoy it as well.

I guess I should get moving. I am feeling like a nap would be lovely but right now, I should resist.

Take care everyone. Be well.

Hugs.

Lin
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    BUZZ Could you tell me about them boots. Do insurance pay any of it? do you like them?
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) I slept in today and finally got some rest. No plans except for Church and visiting Babe and Daisy. I do have to stop at grocery store, Lisa and the boys are coming to swim tomorrow and I will make some chicken on the grill. My time alone with Robby yesterday was wonderful, we went to the park and then set up extra accessories for the magic track I bought him for his birthday. We had lots of fun.

Marie, so nice to see a post from you, I hope all is well with you. How are the plans for the move to Alice coming along?

Lin, midnight? That is very late for you isn't it? You are keeping busy and having fun so that is a good thing?

Anne, glad you are feeling better today but don't overdo. I live in the states and try not to think about our politics and pray things will improve.

Jackie, I too am taking aleve to relieve back pain. Lifting the kids is not good for my back but sometimes it is necessary. Good news on the weight loss, it is a never ending life style.

Buzz, your doctor knows more than I do so he is the one to listen. I do hope they can find some kind of relief for you.

Patsy, love the idea of little painted rocks. Next time I go visit my son in Oregon I will be on the lookout for your little treasures.

Have a great day everyone!
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • delraybuzz
    edited August 2017
    Options
    What a relief it was to see how well the "marches" worked out today in Boston! More like a lovefest as fewer than 100 hate mongers showed up while I just read over 40000 Bostonians marched in orderly manner from all over to the Boston Common (like London's Hyde Park!) to counter protest, but it was unnecessary! I was so proud of "my" city!
    MARIE, my compression boots are used to help increase circulation from my toes to my thighs where they meet my hips. Sometimes Medicare covers them for patients with cancer, but it did not cover purchase for lymphedema I knew how much I needed boots so I did some research, found an almost new motor on eBay, ended up buying the zippered boots at an online vendor, and the liners I bought 4 where I get my compression stockings. I'm making so many mistakes, I must stop. If you decide to buy, I'll look up my details. And you'll have something I sorely miss, some one nearby to help put them on! Goodnight everyone.
    <3 Buzz
    ........................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen..........................
  • jacean2017
    Options
    Good day and hopefully happy Sunday. BUZZ the Boston marches, such a relief after the ugliness in Charlottesville. There is to be a rally in Quebec today organized by a right wing group protesting the arrival of thousands of people from the USA, mainly Haitian people, many coming up from Florida, who are legal in the states but worried about their future. I pray it is as peaceful as Boston. What a lot has happened in 8 short months. We must look like an ant hill from outer space, all the frantic scurrying backwards and forwards.

Michael is spending time with us today so Jilly who is fast asleep at the moment is in for a happy Sunday. I'm hoping we can get her stocked up in treats and veggie bones for September as it's difficult to get to the pet store without one of the boys. I'd have to use a taxi.

So I'll away, and look decent for a change in Sunday clothes.
    Pray for a peaceful Sunday in normally quiet staid Canada.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Good afternoon already here in the UK where Gert the tropical storm has arrived with no more than soaking drizzle so far, something we can all live with as we so often do! George and I walked alone because Scruff has gone off with her mum to another dog show.... quite the professional she's becoming. After close to an hour on the phone to a friend I'm cooking George's food and putting off dealing with what looks like a huge pile of washing up in the sink.... lunch first I think.

Lin ~ I've not seen Ireland's Wild Coast and in fact it's the one island in our United Kingdom I've yet to visit which is crazy because the people are wonderful and scenery stunning. Somewhere else to add to my bucket list!

Sandy ~ Just the thought of lifting and carrying small children gives my back a twinge so can appreciate your aches although I bet you get lots of hugs when you do!

Those of us from the generation of hippies know that peace and love will win in the end, we just have to cope with a bit of political turmoil, yet again, until we get there!

Definitely no gardening today in the wet so I'll have to find something indoors to keep me active because sitting for long periods is still a no-no!

Off to lunch....... Jackie
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good morning, time to leave soon and I am lagging a bit this morning. I guess I am catching up on sleep. Well, not really as I was reading much too late last night. Haaa. I didn't have to go to the store this morning so took advantage to laze about a bit. I know communion will likely be on my plate again this morning as vacations still rule and there are some last minute trips since the kids go back to school next week.

Wahoo. Rejoicing here as we received a half inch of rain very early this morning. Not enough to green up the lawns most likely but a bit of relief. I would imagine we have another chance tomorrow with everyone eager to see the eclipse. I am re-examining my plan to join in on one of these large gatherings. NASA or CBS is sounding more attractive.

Jackie, I am sorry for the continuing back problems. It is tough to find just the right balance between activity and sitting. And oh my, it seems I always have dishes to wash. A mug, a spoon, it adds up. I usually just rinse and wait until there are enough to justify a nice big sink full of hot soapy water. Well, that is my excuse. And I hope you do have the opportunity to visit the Irish coast. You are relatively close. Well, closer than some of us!

Anne, enjoy the day with Michael. I would guess he will help get you stocked up as Jilly is beloved in your family. Now, remind me, he will be unavailable in September because he is traveling??? Sorry, it has totally slipped my mind.

Buzz, peaceful protest is welcomed. I trust it continues to be peaceful. Meanwhile, I hope you are able to keep in touch with us. I am concerned about your continuing hand pain.

Marie, hello, good to see you. <3

Time to scoot.

Hugs.

Lin
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Lisa is coming around noon with the boys to go to the pool. I will make some chicken breasts and a hot dog for Robby on the grill. Also salad, asparagus and corn on the cob. Lisa eats like I do so all is good. It is going to be hot here today so a good day for the pool.

Enjoy your day and keep smiling.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • oystereyes
    oystereyes Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    HiHo! Mild day that seems to be forecasting a beautiful Indian summer. Hope so! Being the grasshopper instead of the ant...I have much to do before bad weather sets in. I am not so sure I can get it done before our rainy season comes.

I am sure we will only see the eclipse through cloudy skies. That's okay. These three minutes will be broadcast and re-broadcast a bazillion times.

We had a lovely long conversation with our son. He had some repairs to attend to, so no sailing today. I have noticed that grown sons and moms have a nice relationship, usually. Somehow the relationships are quite different with moms and daughters. Lovely...but different. Sometimes there is a competitiveness that shows up.

I did watch the PBS program on Wild Irish Coast. Wow! Our son loved Ireland. We have distant relatives there. Our son visited and they acted like they very close "kissing cousins." He also laughed that the few that could speak Gaelic sounded as strange as my grandmother when she tried to teach us all a bit of Gaelic. You need a very athletic tongue.

Have lovely day. Enjoy the cosmic event tomorrow. Remember...it is on TV, if you miss the real event.
    Patsy
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    I've decided to ignore the politics of south of the border, all things eventually pass (ANNE)
    Those of us from the generation of hippies know that peace and love will win in the end, we just have to cope with a bit of political turmoil, yet again, until we get there! (JACKIE)
    My Comments; Only if we are lucky! Before the last run-in we had with people of hate and fascism, more than 6 million people died horribly in cremation camps and millions more civilians and military people were killed attempting to eliminate the nazis! I hope everyone remembers that every vote counts, and ignoring our citizens' duties to be concerned and interested helps bring about the mess that we now are dealing in with "the most important leader in the world"!
    Unfortunately, he surrounded himself with admirers of Hitler, and I'm hoping it will change somewhat with a new crew.
    Forgive me for inserting a saying by Martin Niemoller that we have all heard before, but is so pertinent now that it is actually rewritten in the NYTimes for the President:
    .....First they came for(.....;)Then they came for the Trade Unionists, but I was neither, so I did not speak out. Then they came for the Jews, but I remained silent, for I was not a Jew. Then they came for the Catholics, but I was not a Catholic, so I did not speak out. Then they came for me, ...and there was no one left to speak out!....

I wish I could keep track of nutrition as I used to, but I have no idea what goes into the food here! I'm so careful about the things I control, but my weight (overweight, really), goes up and down the same 5 pounds without change! I keep thinking I have cut way back, but obviously it's not true. And the exercise I am able to do is not the calorie burning type! So tomorrow, I will raise my arms to slip on the special glasses for eclipse watching, and attend the party at the pool! At least I think it's tomorrow. All days here are Sundays, I think!
    <3 Buzz

........................Always believe something wonderful is about to happen..........................
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Having such a good time in NS but places are booked up more than we anticipated. We had hoped originally to book a place for about 3 weeks, a cottage, but with my sisters health being so iffy we couldn't. We wanted to go to Halifax tomorrow but couldn't book what we wanted so are heading to the New Glasgow/Trenton area where Ed grew up instead. We'll book Halifax later with a little more time ahead.

Shirley is here in Nova Scotia as well but is about a day behind us. Too bad we didn't know we were both coming here. We chatted a bit tonight. Small world.

It was very foggy when we got up but after driving across the province the sun came out and it was almost too hot. Here's a picture from this morning.
  • fancyladyJeri
    Options
    Having trouble posting the picture. Don't know if you can see this or not.

Jeri
  • fancyladyJeri
    Options
    zajpa6wpzshs.jpg

This may work?

Jeri