Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Anew, that Video showing all that destruction was terrible. Mother Nature! I hope you are able to go check out your home and property soon. I'm guessing that the garden you've be working so hard on survived!

Sheryl, my late Casey would sit on my computer table and I swear once he tapped the keys and spelled kitty. I was like really? Sorry Moms not doing so well today. Hope tomorrow will be a better day. Nice of you to accomodate John and take that goose to the vet.

Alright, I just got back from running more errand...was trying to get that done before it gets too hot, supposed to get up to around 105 today. Now I'm folding a mountain of laundry and have another in the dryer. Have one more to do, but will wait till evening when it starts cooling down out there.

Have a great day all.
  • sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Marcie, Casey was one smart kitty. I believe that he knew exactly what he was doing. This kitty is so smart too, he knows my schedule already, has probably been casing the joint for months, and when I go out to feed the birds at 6 am, he's right there waiting to come back into the house with me. Right now, he's curled up in my recliner taking a cat nap.

vrlw7vyse26r.jpg

Ha, I guess he's not really sleeping, now that I see in the photo, he's giving me a squinty evil eye..."why are you bothering me?"

No rat activity, so the cat is working off the treats that we give him. He comes in the house a couple hours in the morning, from when I feed the birds until John heads outside, and then, returns in the evening for an hour or two laying around getting scritches and attention until I put him out so I can go to bed. We've just been calling him "grey kitty" for now, I still don't consider him our kitty. He disappears all day long, which drives John nuts, which in turn drives me nuts, all day long "where's the kitty?", "Is the kitty OK?", "Do you know where the kitty went?"

Mom was more talkative yesterday, we chatted for over a half an hour. She's doing her PT exercises but afraid that she may be doing them wrong. I told her any movement is good movement, keep at it. In her case, I don't think there's a wrong way, she just needs to move.

I missed most of the latest web seminar that I wanted to watch, but I am not buying this one. I will watch them free on the internet, but can't spend more money for the dvds, I've already bought several other sets this past year because I thought they were full of good info, but I don't even go back to watch them, so, no more!

I need to call Christina, she's having a very rough time, more than usual right now. Sometimes, email just isn't enough, we need to talk. I'll refill my mug and see if the kitty will share my chair with me.

• anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone, checking in. We are going home in the morning but there is no internet, electricity or cell service out there. They restored the water/sewer and the gas station has their pumps running. I won't be on for a while they said it may take 3-4 weeks to get power and I don't know how long it will take the cable company to get things fixed.

I was sent some pics from one of my neighbors who went down. They aren't of my house but of my yard. Fence is gone, shed is there, garden is there (it's so strange) and the top is off gone off the MGB. I'm sure it is water damaged. The RV is still standing upright but it looks like the jacks are damaged on it via the pics. The neighbors shed is in pieces and against the RV, I think I see some damage to the RV siding due to that. The car trailer is still in the yard.

We will find out if we have any flooding in the house when we get there. Bought a generator online and should get it within 1 week. They are warning of all the snakes and other dangerous wildlife that have come out looking for food since the hurricane came through. We will be on curfew in by nine and not out until 6:00 am.

It is very humbling. So many lost everything they owned. I packed so much stuff in case I didn't have a home to come back to. It is very sad. There is a lot of damage in my city and all around us. There will be a lot of community work to take on when we get there.

I'll check back in when I have internet or happen to go somewhere that does have it.
  • mygnsac
    Options
    Oh Anew...I sure hate that you have to go through this. I wish you well and look forward to hearing from you again once life gets back to normal. Please take care. I've been thinking about you all day.
  • sannferris
    Options
    Good Morning, Anew, I hope you have safe travels and are able to get settled back in without a huge amount of trouble, I'm sure there will be troubles, how could there not be? What an adjustment to your life.

I was both shocked and pleased at how well Sashay, the goose, behaved yesterday. She let us pick her up without a lot of thrashing around and settled into the cage in the car and was no trouble at all. Even the doctor was impressed, he said that when he hears a goose is coming in, he cringes, they are usually so mean and dirty. Sashay cooperated with everything he needed to do to examine her and he said she was extraordinarily clean. John got upset because her foot was dirty, she had stepped in her own poop in the cage, and the doctor laughed..."You don't know dirty, I've seen birds with poop all through their feathers". He said that she's really healthy and "plump", the biggest and best looking goose he's seen. Would make a great Christmas dinner, ha ha ha

Anyway, the growth is most likely a cyst, but won't know for sure until it's removed and analyzed. It is a solid mass, not fluid, and is in the skin, not growing in muscle or bone. So, her jaw will be fine afterward. Since she's so healthy otherwise, she will handle the anesthesia very well and she has enough skin to stitch up to heal, no open wounds. It will cost $548.00. Since it is surgery, I really was expecting a higher amount, I guess I got used to paying top dollar to the vet for the llamas, so this didn't sound so bad. It's worth any amount to me just to shut John up. Since her life expectancy is over 20 years and she's now 9 years old, I don't want to hear John whining about her for years to come. Also, the doctor said the bigger the growth gets, surgery will be more dangerous and her recovery will be much harder. We'll get this done now. Back to price, $185.00 of that price is for the histology, sending the lump to the pathologist. I could forego that expense, but I'm wondering if it's important to know, for sure, what it is and if it might affect the other birds.

So, next Monday morning, we take her in for surgery. I never thought I'd say those words for a goose, or any bird, but, here we are. Yes, they are open on Labor Day. Their regular hours are for 7 days a week.

Last night, John was all confused and thought that Sashay had died. He was surprised to see her when he looked out the window and at the same time, he was searching for a chicken who had died about 2 weeks ago. He'll never find her, but he was looking.

John is fascinated by this cat, thinks he's very smart and very special...I tell him this is typical cat behavior, this is what cats do. Too funny.

John got up early again this morning and is full of questions, just now seeing the news about the hurricane and I can hear all kinds of mumbling and remarks coming from the other room. I'll get my coffee and check on him. I'm not sure how the morning is going to go, I may or may not get to Bible study.
  • sannferris
    Options
    Good Morning, boy, this week went fast, here it is Saturday already. Crazy week with John as well as new developments with Mom.

I did not get to Bible study last Tuesday, John is needing more and more attention for every little thing. He wants to show me anything he finds, and he finds everything, plus he needs my approval for each task he is thinking about, over and over again. I'm now realizing what it's like to have a toddler, into everything and needs constant supervision. However, I can't simply pick him up, plop him in a chair and tell him to stay there. Maybe you can't do that with a kid anymore either, but back when I was babysitting, years and years ago, I'd do that a lot.

Norma called Wednesday morning about 9 am and was leaving work heading over to Mom's. Mom had called her frantically that she couldn't get out of bed again and needed help. Long story short, we've decided it's time for assisted living. Needless to say, the last few days we've been on the phone many times a day. Norma keeps me updated on all the plans and progress. She's doing so much work lining this all up. After a Tuesday appointment with her primary, plus a TB test, she should get the OK to move. The move is planned for next Friday and she'll go to the other side of Mission Commons into an apartment that looks exactly like the one she's in now. Since it's on the back side of the building, we hope that will eliminate the traffic noise that Mom has complained about since she moved in there. Maybe, she'll even open her balcony door and get some fresh air. She's never gone out on her balcony since her apartment faces the main drag and there are so many cars on the road. She also complains about all the sirens too, since the hospital is right down the street. So, it may be quieter in her new place. Certainly, she'll get more attention and help. Since last Wednesday night, Norma is spending every night with her until the move. I've slept on that sofa, it's NOT comfy, I'm sure Norma is anxious to get back to her own bed. Debbie comes in every morning at 9:30 to help Mom out of bed and get dressed. Of course, on her regular shower days, Debbie is already there to help with that, as usual.

So, lots going on, many changes.
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hi all, since it is a holiday weekend my boss did not want to work today so I am home getting caught up on stuff like laundry and facebook. :) We will do our usual shopping and errands later then dinner and a recorded movie. Such creatures of habit. But we like this simple life. I'm thinking of buying some hot Italian chicken sausage and fresh rolls at Sprouts and making sausage sandwiches for dinner. I found Oscar Mayer all natural nitrate free beef hotdogs at Grocery Store Outlet for $1.49 a pkg. They are very good. We will have those on Labor Day. Not sure what I'm going to make tomorrow. I might just make a large salad for each of us. It has been triple digits here all week (though only 97 so far today) so not much real cooking going on.

Debora, neat that you got to see a full eclipse and that people shared their glasses with you. I would have loved that. Sounds like KC was a good trip in spite of the heavy rain for a while. I always had mixed feelings about the last Sunday School class of the year too. Glad to hear that your brother is in rehab now. I'm sure he is in good hands. How fun that you went to the watermelon festival. You never did say - how was the watermelon?!

Sheryl, Good idea to get a compatibility package for your system so you can open/view newer versions stuff. Makes life much easier. Funny that Gray Kitty is making himself quite at home! You may have the best of both worlds with a "part time kitty" for a pet. ;) That was quite a compliment from the vet that your goose is the cleanest, best behaved goose he's ever met! I think sometimes animals sense that you are only trying to help and they need your help (when they are not well) and so they are more compliant. The only experience I've ever had with a goose they were mean and chased you. And those bills hurt! I think it was the right decision to move mom over to assisted living. It will give both she and Norma more peace of mind. And the added blessing of being in a quieter part of the complex. Sorry to hear that Christina is having additional issues. Please give her my love and let her know that I continue to pray for her.

Anew, I've been praying for you both and for all the people affected by the hurricane/storms. I am praying that there was no water damage inside your home. It is a shame about the MGB. Did your car stored in Rockport survive? How is the RV upon closer inspection? I know there is a long road ahead. Looking forward to an update when you are able.

Marcie, so glad you got a chance to check in. Wow, a 32lb watermelon?! Did it have seeds? They are now saying that the "old fashioned" watermelons with the seeds are sweeter and healthier for you. Hm - ya never know! That was so nice of your co-worker and nice of you to share it with the neighbors. Is this a good time to use the swimming pool or is the water too warm? Well, take care and stay cool!

Okay ladies, hubby is talking about lunch so I guess I'll go and see what I can muster up. Have a wonderful Labor Day holiday and a great week!
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    How the weeks speed by. We had another Sunday with the family here and church in the evening. We had our last Sunday with the two year old class (who are now all three year olds) and start a new class tomorrow. When I was home this week I plugged away on my list. I've done more trimming on the bushes. I realize they are looking more normal and not so overgrown. Monday afternoon we went to Lucy's first volleyball game. She did okay with serving but doesn't try hard to get the ball. They lost both games so we had time to get to El Dorado and eat and then I left Ralph there while I went to a meeting. I assured him it wouldn't last longer than an hour. I was wrong – it lasted 1 ½ hours. He was ready to go home when I picked him up.

Tuesday we found out the chicks Ralph had ordered made it to Wichita so we went in to the post office and picked them up. Since we were on the west side of town, we met Uncle Joe and ate with him. Then we went by Derek's so his kids could see them. They had fun holding some of them and just seeing 80 cute chicks. Ralph got them settled in their building and had to go check on them during the night – just like a baby. Wednesday he went to town to Tractor Supply and Orsheln to see what chickens they had and bought 10 more. I went to Lori's and worked with the kids on their record books. Thursday night I had Bible study.

Friday we went to town for errand day. Ralph had his eye checkup and we stopped at 8 places. We still made it home by 12. I got things put away along with some other stuff and then in the evening we went to Thomas' first football game of the season. Beautiful evening to be outside. There were a few raindrops but they were shortlived. It's hard to watch since there bleanchers are low and the players on the field are standing there but we would hear Thomas' name every once in awhile. We won which was nice but I also feel bad for the other team – they only scored once and the game was called in the thrid quarter because of the point spread.

Today I've been at home. Alan won't be here tomorrow but I found out after I bought all the food so.... I'll go head and cook the food (except for the vegetable) cause it's easier to heat up already cooked food even if I freeze it. We're going to church this eveing. The Arab church has a retreat and we do a potluck and eat with them and then they have a speaker we all enjoy. And then it's back to Sunday.

Anew, you've been on my mind. Since we haven't heard from you, I assume there's no electricity and a lot of clean-up. I just can't imagine what you are going through.

Marcie, I'm sure work is keeping you working as usual. And days when the commute has not been so bad.

Oh my Sheryl, so much going on with you. How is the kitty? Is it any help with John? Prayers that you can make the adjustment to having to stay closer to home and gone less. You really enjoyed your outings – even if they were appointments. And now moving your mom to assisted living – hope all those pluses you listed are true pluses. Norma sure does a good job of adjusting to what she needs to do – just like you. Nice that her new place looks like the old. That should help with things staying familiar.
    Glad taking the goose in went so well and the next phase is set up.
    Did you get a chance to call Christina? Thank you for reaching out. Sorry it just seems to get worse for he.

Isabella, nice that your boss wanted you to enjoy your long weekend. We are creatures of habit aren't we. But I like it too. You and Marcie have it so warm and our weather has only been getting into the 80s. Oh, the watermelon was good. It always is – the place where they get it from always seems to have good ones.

Didn't mention earlier that I lost my fitbit at the football game Friday evening. Jim and kids finally went over after 5 and they found it and Lucy has put 5000 steps on for me. I'm sure I did that many so that will be fine.

Had such a fun evening. The food managed to stretch enough. There were about 100 people there – we sang in Arabic and English and the speakers were good. Clean-up didn't take too long. We didn't have to put tables away since we are having donuts before Sunday School to kick off the new year.
    I took a chicken and rice dish which I got a tasste of and Ralph said it was okay if I made it for dinner tomorrow. Several said they liked it so we'll give it a go.

Now I'd better head for bed.
  • isyvanek
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Happy Labor Day everyone! It's been a nice weekend so far. Dan is going to take me to lunch today so that will be really nice. We may try the Thai restaurant that we gals went to a couple of weeks ago. We'll see. It's getting close to time I will need to start getting ready for my trip to NJ. I had Dan get my suitcase out today. Now I just have to book a ride to the airport. Dan doesn't feel up to taking me. That's OK.

Debora, you've had a very busy week as usual. But it was a good week too. Wonderful that they found your fitbit. And even put some steps on it for you. ;). Wow, 90 more chics?! Hubby is really making a business of this isn't he? Do you ever eat them or are they just for eggs?

Well, have a great week everyone!
  • mygnsac
    Options
    Hi all.

Busy weekend. Seems like I was in my car most of the time running errands, and when home doing laundry.

Saturday I took the car to the dealership to have them replace the passenger side mirror. It was super hot there, about 108, and I must have waited about 30 minutes before the guy came to write up. They had only one person out there, and there were tons of cars to check in. He said my service rep would be out in a moment. Well, it turns out it was 20 minutes before he showed. I asked him about how long it will take and he said around 3 hours. I said no way am I going to wait in their lobby that long, so I went to the rental counter to rent a car. I said, don't give me a Camry again. Their too low to the ground. So she got me a 2017 RAV 4. But, she was having computer problems, so I stood at that counter for about 20 minutes. Because of the wait, she knocked the $35 price down to $10. Got home, and about and hour and a half later they called and said the car was ready.

While I was at the dealership I asked them to check out my rear driver side tire. It has a slow leak. Losing about a pound of air pressure per week. They put it under water and found there is a tiny little nail embedded in the tire. Said they couldn't repair it because Fed law prohibits them from doing that when a nail is located in the inner tread. They could only replace the tire. I asked him to show me where the nail is, but he wasn't able to, but used my front driver side tire as an example and pointed to where it is on the rear tire. While doing so, he found another little nail embedded in the front tire. Sheesh. If I do wind up replacing these tires, I will probably just go to Costco. I'm sure they are much cheaper than the dealership!

Went to about five different pet stores this weekend looking for a particular kind of cat food for Simon. Finally found it at the last store.

Went to Red Lobster in the midst of my errands on Saturday and got cat fish. Haven't had that since the late 70s when Dad and his buddy would go out fishing. It was pretty good, but I still prefer salmon.

The lid on my Thermos water bottle busted yesterday, so back in the car to get another one. They didn't have one, so I got another one. Doesn't keep the water cold as long as my other bottle. Looks like I shall be paying a visit to Amazon.

I think our heat wave has concluded. Should only get to about 90 today, and down in the 80s by the weekend.

Have a great trip Isabella.

I better get back to work now. The work day is almost over. Yay!

Have a great night everyone.

P.S. This one made me cry. The police officer is carrying his dead K-9 dog who had just died of cancer, and the other officers honor the dog with a salute. Guy I know on Facebook is always posting things that make me cry. When did become such a crier?! He says that's his job, to make women cry!

y4fx1sib6vx7.jpg

• sannferris
    Options
    Good Morning, what a sad, but sweet, photo. Not too long ago, Portland had a K-9 police dog die in the line of duty. I had never seen a grown man, cop owner, cry so hard. Those dogs are terrific. Marcie, I can handle personal stuff really well, but give me a photo like this, or a romantic movie, and I bawl like a baby.

I, too, had a busy week, now, if I can remember everything I wanted to tell you. Last Thursday, Ray (the handyman I found through Home Advisor) came to pressure wash the garage doors and fascia boards and prep all the painting areas. He pressure washed all the gunk off the sheet metal siding too, looks so clean. We need to do that to the metal barn, that has all kinds of dirt and moss on it. Anyway, Ray returned yesterday to paint, got the first coat on and will return today to do the second coat. Looks great! After that, not sure what day yet, he'll come back to put up the gutters. He wants to bring his granddaughter sometime to see the llamas. We'll set that up, not sure when.

I haven't shared with you yet about the new man in Norma's life. With all the ups and downs we had with Simeon, I have kept this to myself, but it's out now and I am anxious to share with you. I know you will be as excited and happy for Norma as I am. His name is John, so Norma and I have a "my John" and "your John" going on right now, like what JoAnn and I do. He's a truck driver at this point in his life, (rather new) so he's traveling a lot and this past weekend, we thought that he'd be passing through my area and we were all set to meet up with him. His trip load fell through and the meet-up didn't work out for over the weekend, but we'll get to see him sometime. He was military for years and also several other professions after he got out. Very well educated and well rounded, but thought traveling as a truck driver would be a great experience and good money. He'll continue for awhile, but I have a feeling that after Norma retires, he'll also want to "settle down". HA! I can not see either of them "settling down", they will be even more active, but do it together. Possibly Norma will do some traveling with him, however, she'll be tied down with Mom. Since Norma had the long holiday weekend, she was going to fly up so we could all be together, plus Brent and Beth could drive over too. Disappointing for all of us.
    Instead, Norma spent the entire long weekend, plus yesterday with Mom. Yikes, that's a lot of Mom to take. Norma's a saint! Norma thought that she'd be back to work yesterday and only leave long enough for Mom's doctor's appointment and then go back to work, but it didn't work out that way and Norma kept calling the office changing the time that she'd be coming in until it was evident that she wasn't going to make it in at all. I trust she gets to work today, she needs the break. Work in the office will be a sweet relief after dealing with Mom. The appointment yesterday was for "release" to move into assisted living. Had to make sure that she does not have anything that will spread to others. They also had a meeting with the manager on the assisted living side to sign papers for Mom's transfer on Friday. Norma ran to the bank for cash to pay the movers on Friday and also called the phone company and will have the phone changed over from the old apartment to the new one on Friday.
    Norma said that Mom is doing less and less for herself, not sure if it's truly a problem or she's having Norma do more simply because Norma is there. Mom said that she can't even dress herself anymore and Norma had to help with that. I can't see it, I think Mom is milking this, but then, I'm not there. One silver lining for assisted living is that Norma is not allowed to spend the nights on that side of the building. Yay!! Norma gets to go back home after a visit and can't be accused of "abandoning" Mom, Norma has to follow the rules.

Back to our busy life...got Sashay (the goose) to the animal hospital 7:30 Monday morning. I wanted to run some errands before going home to wait for the phone to go pick up Sashay and we also stopped for breakfast. John is so funny..."I'm not hungry", but I ordered anyway and he ate it all. One of the times we went out with Norma, when she was here last month, and John said that and I believed him and didn't order for him. When my breakfast came, my bacon and eggs were on one plate and a waffle on the other and John ate the bacon and eggs. I realized then that I will order for him no matter what he says. While we sat there, watching traffic on Airport Way, John had the realization that he never sees 2-door cars anymore. "Do they even make 2-doors anymore?" I said that I'm sure they do, but he is right, we hardly see them. So, we started searching and counting and out of the hundreds of cars that passed by, (literally, there is a lot of traffic on that road), we only saw one little red sports car that was a 2-door. That was entertaining.

Picked up Sashay at 2:30 pm and brought her home and set up a pen in the living room. Haven't had an animal cage in the living room since Cookie, (Oh, that's another story, next paragraph). Sashay is doing very well, looks good and acting good. She's extremely cooperative, what a shock, I'm so pleased. We have to give her oral medication every 12 hours for 3 days, then I plan to let her outside. Since it's summer, all the windows are open and the geese are talking to each other constantly. Pretty loud. But, at least the others know that she's back and she knows they are out there waiting for her. Here are before and after photos:

tgbk2a4w9wsx.jpg

jy8i4n4588nl.jpg

This post is getting very long, I'll submit this and continue in another...

• sannferris
    Options
    On to the Cookie saga. Last Saturday night, Dona, our neighbor from two doors down the street, came by with a box of pears for the animals. I took a bucket of them and she gave the rest of the box to Jack and Gayla. While we visited out in the driveway, she asked about Cookie. She was the one who told me about Orchards Feed and that they take one rooster at a time to rehome them. I said I'm on the waiting list and still waiting. Oh, she said call Pioneer Feed instead, they take more than one at a time and she got rid of 2 in the last 2 weeks. Her chickens hatch some of their eggs, so she gets stuck with more roosters when they grow up and needs to move them along. So, Sunday, I called the Feed Store and they said bring him over. Cookie is gone, hopefully to a happy home with lots of hens.
    While here, the new gray kitty came over and rubbed our legs and I told them about kitty showing up. Both Dona and Gayla say that kitty is a girl. I was wrong about her. John is still always asking if kitty is a boy or girl, so I suppose we need to name her, a very feminine name, and that should help him remember. Although, he can't even remember the names of the animals that we've had for years, so this will probably be an ongoing question.

Here's a photo I took the other day. At the time, I thought "here's my 2 boys" napping, but since kitty is a girl !?!?!?!?

guur4s33ssx6.jpg

You probably have heard about the wild fires we are having out here. So sad...that the Eagle Creek fire that has burned 10,000 acres and continues to burn both side of the river, Oregon and Washington (embers jumped the Columbia River) was started last Saturday by teenagers playing with fireworks. Stupid kids.
    They have been able to save Multnomah Lodge, but the gorge area is quite scarred and will look very different for awhile. I love driving through the gorge, so many trees, it's a gorgeous scenic area. I'll be anxious to see how it looks when they get the fire out. Rain in the forecast for tomorrow, hope it's a lot and really puts a damper on the fires.
  • mygnsac
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Sheryl, love the photo of John and Kitty just chilling. That cat is just too cute! Also glad to hear that Norma has a new significant other (hope it works out!), and that she's getting your Mom settled. Norma is definitely a saint! Also glad to see that your goose is recovering well. There's fires all over the place right now. We have wild fires to the north of us, but have only had minor smoke down here in the valley...but it is fire season, ugh.

Alright, just took a break from this post to go track down my neighbor's little white dog Ruby. Once again she got out of her back yard. Dad and his walking buddy were out walking their dogs and saw a little white ball of fur running down the street. She won't come to Dad, but I can usually catch her. She's with us now, annoying Cisco. Dad emailed the dog's owner, and apparently they are out to dinner. On their way home now to come get her. Sheesh. She sure is a cute little thing, but I sure wish the would secure her better! Right now she's having an adventure exploring our house. Update...the owner's daughter just stopped by to get her. All is right again. Seems like I'm the only one in the neighborhood she'll actually come to!

The retirement lunch was fun. Glad I hitched a ride with my co-worker. I would have had a problem finding it. Not familiar with that location. Dad was telling me this morning we could just walk there. Well, he was all kinds of wrong on that! Quite a distance from the office! There were about 70 people there. I gave the lady retiring a framed picture of a collage of pictures I had from over the years with her in them at various office events. She seemed to like that.

Well, with all the excitement of once again capturing our neighbor's escape artist dog, I think I'm about ready to call it a day. Have a great night everyone. A couple pics of the retirement party below. The first one is of our Assistant Chief giving a speach. Tomorrow will be an all staff cake celebration at the office, then she's gone! Will miss her.

2i9b531uq5xq.jpeg

egjee54uc2cs.jpeg
  • sannferris
    Options
    Good Morning, another sad morning of fires and storms on the news. The fire through the gorge has now burned through 32,000 acres. The scenic hwy as well as the interstate is closed. Multnomah Falls will look completely different next time we get there. They interviewed a woman who was eye witness to the 15 year olds throwing smoke bombs over the cliff and she had confronted them. She then went as fast as she could back down the trail to alert the rangers and they caught the kids as they were trying to leave from the trailhead. Anyway, her take on their reaction was that they did not do this maliciously, they were just kids thinking this was fun and giggling. Still, it's so stupid, I would think that, even at 15, they would know the consequences. I'm wondering where their parents are, at 15 they could not have driven themselves to the trailhead to go hiking.

Another coat of paint on the garage, it looks great and even John is pleased, which pleases me greatly. John is very picky. Ray is doing a great job. I assume he's returning today since he left his ladders here last night. Maybe there is not room on his truck for his ladders as well as all the pieces of gutter to put up. Or, maybe he's not quite finished painting and decided he did not want to load his ladders only to unload them again in the morning. I did not talk to him before he left yesterday. I'll see what happens today.

I had forgotten how cats live their lives...sleep all day and carouse all night. Kitty is waking me up constantly, she's either inside wanting out, or outside the bedroom window wanting in. I wonder if I will ever have a full night's sleep ever again. ha ha

Today will be a day of rest for Mom, preparing for her huge day tomorrow, the big move. She is dreading it, but I told her, all she has to do is walk down the hall, everything else is being done for her. Now, she's worried about the phone not changing over and if I call, I can't reach her. I said, WHO CARES!!!!!! If it's connected, she can call me, or if I don't get through Friday, I'll call her Saturday. I'll see how she is this afternoon when I call, I know she'll be all worked up, just a matter of over what and how much. She's a PILL!!!

Sashay is doing extremely well, I can hardly believe how good she's being in the house. However, for her sake as well as mine, I'll put her outside Saturday and let her have much more freedom and have her family back in close proximity. We will all be happier. I'll monitor how she does and be ready to bring her back in if things go bad. I don't think the other geese will pick at her face, it's healing very well, but you never know.

Tomorrow starts my September appointments...6 months after surgery mammogram. Then, next week, CT scan and see all the doctors for follow-up. I also need to make a dentist appointment and get the car serviced. Marcie, I was shocked at the wait you had at your Toyota dealer. I'm usually there for only 1-2 hours. I got a notice in the mail that there's a recall on air bags on Toyotas. I don't know yet if my Scion is one of those that need replacing. I'll find out when I call to make the appointment. I'm sure that will take longer to do than just the regular service maintenance.

Marcie, enjoy cake celebration day. I haven't had a real piece of cake in ages. It sounds yummy, now I want some. I have found that most desserts are too sweet for me these days, yay! a natural deterrent. I had some ice cream the other night, it just sounded so good, I couldn't resist but I started coughing. Actually, ice cream is the worst of all since it's cold, sweet, and creamy, all three of those are triggers for a coughing fit.

Time to refill my mug...
  • mygnsac
    Options
    Good morning all.

Another night of waking up every hour or two. I'm tired this morning. Took the dog out to go pee at 1 am, as usual, and the cat decided to sneak out with us, so had to corral him back in the house. I was like, okay, were all going back to bed!

We'll be having my retiring co-worker's cake party today at 2 pm. This is her last day here after 33 years...but still, there she is working hard in here section up to the last minute.

Once again I forgot to bring my milk to work for my cereal. Had to buy some from our Grille downstairs. I think I'm going to have to hang a sign up on the fridge to remind me. Sheesh.

I don't know what it was about this morning, but I just couldn't get out of the house. There are just so many steps it takes to get out of there. Get dressed, do hair, do makeup, clean little box, feed cat, feed dog, forget milk, drink my morning protein drink, trudge through traffic, etc. Got to work 15 minutes late. I guess I need to start getting up a bit earlier.

Our Assistant Division Chief asked me yesterday how I thought he did on the speech at the retirement luncheon, and I gave him the thumbs up. He was humorous and sincere. I really like that guy. I get to vent on him all the time whenever I'm frustrated about something here in the office, and he takes it in stride. He also likes it when I share my funny animal stories with him...he's a big time animal lover.

Sheryl, I hope all goes well with your Mom's transition to the new place. I know it won't be easy for her initially. Glad to hear that Sashay (love that name) is doing so well.

Well, back to work. Have a great day all.
  • sannferris
    Options
    Good Morning, a quick pop-in...I got wrapped up in reading another article on-line. Now, I'll be pressed for time to go to the mammogram, gotta get in the shower.

All is well here. Ray dropped off all the gutter materials and recommends a third coat of paint on those garage doors. I think it's a good idea, it will look even better now and I'll feel more secure if we pressure wash again in the future.

Sashay is all completed on her medications, but since I'll be gone part of today, I won't let her outside until tomorrow, when I can watch her.

I better get going.
  • mygnsac
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Good morning.

Woke up thinking it was Thursday. What a nice surprise that it's Friday. I'm just a day behind this week because of the Labor Day holiday.

Apparently now every Friday has a dress up theme (which I never participate in). Today's is Football wear. Every where you look there are staff wearing football jerseys. I am so not ready for football season to start again. But like the weather, I'll just roll with it. Ugh. If it's not football, its baseball, basketball, or soccer. I just find it all boring to watch, and usually bumps whatever show I do like.

Went to my retiring coworker's cake party yesterday afternoon. My foodie coworker, who is pretty new to the office, wasn't going to go because he doesn't know a lot of people here yet, but I made him go with me. Said that will be a way to start getting to know the staff. He had a good time. The cake was really good. Not overly sweet like they usually are. I took a piece home to Dad and he enjoyed it. Gave my retiring coworker a final hug, and away she went. Going to miss her for sure, but it's a well deserved retirement.

Last night Cisco thought I didn't need space on the bed. The little bugger sprawled himself out horizontally on the bed. Once again, contorting around the dog.

59gt135i5p2o.jpg

Well, back to work. Have a nice day everyone.

P.S. Anew, if you are able to read this, I sure hope all is well and your property didn't suffer too much damage from Harvey. Hurricane season seems to be in full force now.
  • sannferris
    Options
    Good Morning. We have a "second seating" for breakfast this morning. I was out before 6 am and put out cracked corn, our own birds got their share and then the mallards came in and cleaned it all up. I stopped counting at 35, they started moving around too much. They took off and at 7, I saw more gathering in the pasture, but there wasn't any corn left, so I put out more. I love it, the ducks in the pasture waddled into the back yard, single file, "ducks in a row". So cute! They are making quick work out of that corn. There are so many this time of year, we must be right in their route of migration or something.

We got the biopsy report from the vet late yesterday afternoon. Sashay had a "ruptured and infected feather follicular cyst". I suppose it's like an in-grown hair that got bad enough that her body built a wall around it to keep the infection isolated. Anyway, no cancer and nothing contagious. Vet said there's a slim chance of recurrence. As soon as the stitches are removed, she'll be back to normal. Actually, she already is acting totally normal and anxious to get outside. Her face is healing very well, we think we see little feathers growing back already.

Mammogram went well, and quick. I got there early and they took me early. I stopped at the bank and grocery store on my way home and got back earlier than I had told John. Of course, he didn't care, he can't keep track of time anymore.

Ray got the gutters up on the back side of the garage and half of the front. He'll finish the job today. I hope I can get the bill and write him a check without John looking over my shoulder. Ray's doing a fantastic job, but John will probably think he's charging too much, no matter what it is. His fee is $40.00 per hour, but I think he's worth it, I have not seen him wasting any time. I'm very sensitive about being self-employed and being diligent about the time and the job.

Received a phone call from Norma, the move went as smoothly as can be expected. While Mom was walking with the physical therapist, the movers moved furniture, all the big stuff got put into place in the new apartment and the therapist returned Mom to the new apartment. Everybody did their job, but Mom is non-stop complaining and frustrated. Now, she doesn't think she needed to move, she can "do for herself". If she pulls that on me when I call today, I'll blast her with "then why did you insist on Norma spending the nights there for over a week?" Totally ruined her last 10 days! Norma gets a diversion today, Red Hats event, so she will be visiting with other ladies today.
    Now that the move is complete, I'll put together an update email on Mom for all the cousins. I'm not going to make it sound so cheery as I have tried to before. I hate to tell everybody what a pain Mom is being, but she is just not a happy person and I can't cover that up anymore.

Interesting deal last night, kitty stayed out all night. Now, I have no idea if she really wanted to, or if I simply did not hear her meows because I closed the bedroom windows. But, it sure was nice to sleep for longer periods of time and not have to get up to open the door. Or, I was so zonked out, I slept through her meows. Now that I think about it, I don't even remember hot flashes or potty runs through out last night. I must have been dead to the world.

Marcie, seeing Cisco sprawled out on your bed reminded me of when I got home yesterday, I went into the bedroom to change from my "good" clothes back into my "work" clothes and kitty was sleeping on my dirty pants, on the bed. I grabbed my other pair of "work around the house pants", heaven forbid that I disturb the Miss Kitty. Cats have a way of changing our thinking, don't you think?

Sure looks like it's ready to rain, I know we need it, but I hope it holds off until Ray is done. Then, we'll see how well the gutters work. And, help put out all those fires.

I'll refill my mug, looks like I'm back to more than one mug full a morning again, but at least I'm not making more than one pot a day anymore.
  • sannferris
    Options
    John slept in this morning, didn't get up until almost 11 am, quite late, even for him. Anyway, I cleaned the smaller pools and had everything ready to take Sashay outside and we got her out shortly after 11 am. Boy, was she happy to get out and the other geese were happy to see her. Their family is complete again. She had a "spa" morning, getting in and out of the pools and bathing for over 2 hours. She preened every single feather. They just now headed out to the pasture.

8i1e0p3qzplq.jpg

1hbd0c3ag136.jpg

o0qdd2utktss.jpg

• isyvanek
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Good morning all, I worked yesterday which made me very happy. I got a lot of things done that I haven't had time to get to. Love that extra money in the paycheck too! I stopped at the farmers market on my way in so I could buy some "thieves" essential oil for my brother Joe. His immune system isn't working very well so I'm hoping this will help him not to get sick again. I ran a couple of errands after work as well in preparation for my trip. Bought some Afrin nasal spray so my ears won't hurt when I land and got some cash in smaller bills for tips for the limo drivers, etc. I packed my suitcase when I got home. Didn't have to buy much at the grocery store. Dan said he will fend for himself. I showed him all the prepared meals they have at Sprouts. He was pretty happy about that. He is also looking forward to eating out. ;)

So I'm sure that you've all heard about the Equifax breach by now. They've got our SS #'s, DOB, address, everything! Man oh man was Dan upset about that!! If you can't trust the "big 3" with all that EXTREMELY sensitive personal info, to take all steps necessary to protect our vital info... It never ceases to amaze me the greed people are capable of. Then to hear that the top execs sold their stock in the company before they announced the breach - well, that is insider trading! They made an example of Martha Stuart but do you think these guys will be punished at all?!

Plus, we're waiting to hear exactly where Irma is going to land and how FL will manage. All those people that went to the west side only to find out that the hurricane will actually hit there instead. Evacuating 7 million people! Largest earthquake in Mexico. Scary times my friends. I can't help but have "living in end times" come to mind.

Marcie, bummer about the nails in your tires. I agree Costco is probably the best place to get tires. Why did you have to replace your passenger side mirror? The pic of the officer and his canine partner brought tears to my eyes too. Very touching. How nice that 70 people attended your co-worker's retirement party. A collage of pics of her was a great idea! I don't get why your neighbors won't do whatever it takes to contain their escape artist fur baby. Someday you're not going to be there to save her. Really nice that you have such a great rapport with your assistant division chief. I got a chuckle out of your offices having dress up Fridays. We did that at my division for several months last year. They called it Fun Day Friday. I usually participated in them in some way. Even if I didn't have that specific garb I'd get as close as I could. We'd take a pic of everyone each time. My supervisor had a calendar made for each of us for Christmas. It is fun looking at them each month.

Sheryl, I'm a sap when it comes to pics like that dog pic or movies, (or even commercials sometimes) and will cry. I think it's healthy all in all. :) Sounds like Ray is doing a great job on the garage. I think $40 hr. is reasonable. Especially if he is doing such great work. Well worth it. So happy to hear about "Norma's John"! Sounds like they have a lot more in common. Too bad about mom being so negative about the move. Hopefully once she is settled in she'll start to see the benefits. I've been going thru the book on essential oils you sent me again. Take a look on page 100 item #3 talks about Birch oil being good for gout. Maybe this is something Norma will want to try with your mom? Sashay looks good. So happy you got that taken care of and everyone can rest easy knowing she's taken care of. She looks very content in that pool! Funny Miss Kitty is a girl. I like that name. Reminiscent of Gun Smoke. So sorry to hear about the fire at the falls area. I can't believe the embers jumped the Columbia River! 15 yr old boys can be pretty dumb. I agree that it probably wasn't malicious - just stupid!!! I bet even some adults would be stupid enough not to think of the consequences. I also cough a couple of times after eating ice cream. Always have. I think a lot of people do. I have to drink water afterward. I know many ice cream shops have a water fountain and can't help but believe this is the reason. Dan has had something like 5 recalls on his Rav4. Each time they didn't need to replace anything. Just checked it out. He is getting pretty tired of it. I don't think he even went in for the last one. He is starting to think they just want to do some sort of software update but won't tell you that. It is just easier to get you in for a recall. Who knows. Neat that you are on the mallard flight path. It must be exciting to watch. Very nice that you put corn out for them. It was very cool that they came in walking in a row. Now we finally see why people say "get your ducks in a row"! Love it! :)

Debora, you must be even busier than usual. Have a great week! Hope you have a wonderful birthday coming up.

Anew, hope all is working out for you and your property. Keeping you all in our prayers.

Well, I fly to NJ Tuesday night so I will not be posting Saturday. I'll check in the Saturday after my return. Have a great couple of weeks my friends and stay safe!