Pot Bellied Stove / Water Cooler

Replies

• isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Hi everyone!
    Finally getting around to posting. Dan has been getting up at the same time as I do on Saturdays lately so it changes my routine a bit. We've already had our traditional Saturday morning eggs for breakfast. Now we're settling down to computer reading. I don't remember if I shared with you that my supervisor Aline is retiring. She has been with the company for 30 years and has been my boss for 12 yrs. She has been the best boss and mentor I've ever had. She said something yesterday that I think best describes her "I've always tried to treat everyone with the same respect". Meaning peons get treated with the same respect as mucky mucks. Well yesterday was her last day and it was very sad. She will be greatly missed. Her assistant Julia was promoted to her position and will supervise us sales and contracts girls. Julia was trained in Aline's way of doing things, etc. so I am happy that she was given the position. The accounting girls will be getting a new boss which hasn't even been hired yet. So they don't know what to expect. Time will tell.

Jami's husband is out of town. He went to the 100th season of Nascar in Indianapolis this week. It is his birthday present from Jami. Since she is by herself this week we invited her for dinner tonight. It will be a nice simple casual evening. She is working today so she will be here around 6pm. I'm just going to make a simple skillet meal with rice, veggies and Italian sausage.

Sheryl, how fun to watch the little family of ducklings every day. I hope they survive crossing the street. I can't believe that the dang crows have been taking the duck eggs. I know that they take smaller bird eggs but you would think that duck eggs would be too large to make off with. They are not my favorite birds!!! I will e-mail you some egg casserole recipes when I finish this post. So nice that you get to see Norma while she is on vacation. Great idea to increase your blue apron boxes. I'm sure you will all enjoy them. Maybe Norma will want a free trial after sampling yours.

Marcie, sounds like you are doing all the right things to get well and get things under control. I found a short article on foods that help diabetes. I will e-mail it to you. I used to have trouble with blood flow when I went for blood tests first thing in the morning and found that when I had a glass of water before I left the house my blood flowed much better so perhaps you could try something like that before you have to take your readings.

Debora, once again having too many eggs sounds like a good problem to have and I wish I lived closer! :) Let me know if you want me to send you some egg casserole recipes as well. I'm not sure if I have your e-mail address though.

Well, I'm going to go make some iced tea for tonight's dinner then run to home depot with Dan. He seems to like me to go with him lately and that is OK with me! :) I have a 3 day weekend this week with Memorial Day so I know I will be checking in again. Have a great rest of your day everyone!
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Took the day slow and easy. I got things straightened. I did not run the vacuum - saved those steps, I got the fruit salad made and two crockpots ready for tomorrow. With walking less, the amount I get to eat is less too - so have to be more careful about that and will likely go over more like I did today. Ralph took the trash out for me and I'll get the mail when I go pick up Thomas tonight (wonder how late that will be). I've been careful enough that the foot has hurt only a few times so I am behaving myself. I have 8 dozen eggs ready to send to CYIA.

Sheryl, work one day, rest one day seems to work for you. Funny on Norma's calls. Now I'm wondering what she was doing too.

Isabella, looks like both of us have our husbands going with us more and Sheryl tries to make it happen. I'm okay with it most of the time. You'll miss Aline but at least you know you like your new boss. Nice of you to have Jaime over. You dish sounds good. I would like the recipes. My email is claassen@juno.com or you could just post them in the recipe section. How fun to have another three day weekend.

I got my crochet out so I'll see if I can get going on it.
  • sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    edited May 2016
    Good Morning, a quickie...I was up early, but turned on the tv and started watching Sunday Morning on CBS. Now, John is up, so this will be short.

Got more done outside yesterday, headed out at 10 am, came in about 2 pm for lunch and back outside again until 6:30 pm. So sad though, I waited too long to fix a salmon Blue Apron meal and my salmon had gone bad. So, we just had everything except the salmon part.
  • isyvanek
    Good morning all. Happy Memorial Day!

Our evening with Jami didn't go quite as planned. She called and said she was on her way over, then called back within minutes and said she just noticed she lost her diamond bracelet ($4,000 bracelet) somewhere that day and had to go look for it. She would call us back. We said a prayer that she would find it then waited. I waited until 7:00pm then I called her to find out how things were going. She was in tears, said she hadn't found it yet after going to the stores she had been to that day, going on the walk she had done earlier, and tearing the house and car apart. The only thing she could think of to do is go back to Ross and pick up every piece of clothing that is on the floor and look more carefully to see if she could find it there. She didn't realize we were waiting to have dinner until we heard from her. We quickly ate dinner then drove to Ross to help and offer our support. Just as we walked in she found the bracelet curled up in the shoe department. She said she had looked in that exact same place before and it wasn't there. Someone must have kicked it out from under something or something. GOD IS SO GOOD!!!!! We all went back to our house, fed her (she hadn't eaten since breakfast), then we all sat and relaxed and watched "The Avengers" super heros movie. What a night!

Yesterday was much calmer! I did my usual grocery shopping then went to a Christian book store to get something for my bible study teacher. She is having knee replacement surgery the first week of July so I wanted to get her one of those adult coloring books. They had a great selection and I got one called coloring the psalms. She already has colored pencils. I had a 40% off coupon so I got it for $6.00. After dinner we had a Person of Interest marathon. This is the final season and they are showing an episode both Mondays and Tuesdays so they add up fast.

Debora, glad that you are taking it easy on your foot and nice that Ralph is helping. Hope it feels better soon. One of my co-workers got a hairline fracture on the top of his foot recently and had to wear a boot for a while. It is good that you are getting a bone density test. I get one every few years since my mom had osteoporosis.

Sheryl, bummer that the salmon spoiled before you could cook it. I have found that you have to cook it pretty much right away. I usually cook it the day I get it. Hope there was enough other stuff to satisfy you guys.

Well, Dan is waiting for me to go for a walk so I'll close for now.
  • sannferris
    Good Morning. Very quiet in here, I trust you all had a great holiday weekend. John and I worked outside and Saturday, John uncovered a bunny ground nest while mowing and said there were babies in there. I said "leave it alone". Later, he said he checked on them again and said they are looking OK, but not under the cover of the tall grass anymore. I said "put some cut grass over them, so they are covered and Leave Them Alone". Later, he said he checked on them again...Mommy is no where in sight. I said, "Mommy IS around, LEAVE THEM ALONE".
    Sunday, catastrophe!! John went to check on them again, I got him away, but while we're standing there, a crow went over and uncovered the nest and picked up a baby and flew away. The Mommy Bunny popped out of nowhere and chased the crow, but it was too late. That smart crow must have been watching John and found the nest. John was beside himself for hours. I told him to leave them alone, Mommy knows where they are and she's tending to their needs. John didn't mention it yesterday, so I guess he forgot. I'm glad, in a way, he was so upset, but, he needs to remember so he doesn't do it again. Leave those poor critters alone, he doesn't need to pick up every little critter he finds.

Norma survived another day with Mom. Memorial Day BBQ at Mission Commons turned out very good. We talked on the phone Monday, but since she was with Mom, the conversation was directed towards Mom. Yesterday, when she called me on her break at work, I had the chance to ask her where she was on Friday night when her phone butt-dialed me. She was at a friend's house with her friend's sister and her daughter visiting from Florida. They were playing Rummikub and laughing and gabbing and having a great time. Four ladies having a girl's night in. Norma wished that Mom could join them, but Mom just doesn't have fun like that and brings everybody down instead.
    Norma said that she told Mom about her upcoming vacation and Mom took it very well. Surprise, Surprise!

Yesterday, it was forecast to be hot...90 degrees, so I got John in the car and we ran errands and enjoyed the AC in the car. We went to a new place for lunch, the 95th Street Grill. We drive by there all the time and each time say that someday, we'll stop. Finally did. John had a cheeseburger, very, very good. And I got the special, fish and chips, also very good. John liked their fries too, cooked to perfection and plenty of them. We stuffed ourselves.

Today and tomorrow will be cooler, so more work here at home. The weekend is forecast for 96 degrees, so we'll be off in the car again. John wants to go to Mount St. Helen's again and stop at Patty's Place for a burger and cobbler. I am so surprised that he remembers that.

Time to refill my mug...
  • sannferris
    Isabella, thank you for the recipes...I haven't checked them out yet because my Word program is older. This computer is offering to install a "compatibility" pack to be able to read them, but I don't want to do that on this computer, just in case it messes up what John does. I'll go put it on the other computer with Windows 8, John doesn't use that computer at all. Can't wait to try the recipes, I love Chile Rellenos.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited June 2016
    Good morning everyone.

It looks like the summer-switch has been flipped on. Yesterday it got to 101 degrees and they say by the end of the week it will be around 105 degrees. It seems like just a week ago it was still a bit chilly! Oh well, I guess it's time for the hot weather.

Dad usually takes Cisco out for his final walk of the day around 6:30 p.m., but with the hot weather and little shade at that time of the day, he's waiting until 8:00 p.m. to take him out. He says when it gets that hot he practically has to pull Cisco along. Cisco is not a fan of the hot weather.

My neighbor (Beevis & Butthead...though I think it's just Beevis now) don't even have an AC. It broke down a couple years ago and he never got it fixed. I can't imagine what that house feels like when it hits triple-digit weather.

Dad and I went out to our favorite fish restaurant for dinner Saturday and had salmon. It was so good. Salmon is something they say is diabetes-friendly. My dinner came with roasted squash and I also splurged and had a small sour dough roll. So good.

I was super-lazy this weekend. I wasn't feeling too well. Upset and bloated stomach, and having trouble sleeping. I think this medication the doctor has me on is the cause, but I'll follow up with him at my next appointment next Wednesday. I didn't even make a pot-of-something for the week. Just got the laundry done and hard boiled some eggs.

Last night I woke up at 1 am and just couldn't get back to sleep. So I got myself a glass of milk and watched a little TV until around 3 am. I was able to get back to sleep after that and slept until the alarm went off at 6 am. The night before I think I only got about 1 hour of sleep, so during my lunch break at work I went down to my car in the parking garage and took a little nap. It sure helped get me through the day.

The BBQers were sure out in force over the weekend. When I went to bed on Friday night around 10 pm I turned off the AC and opened my bedroom window, and someone was BBQing, filling my room up with the smell of burning lighter fluid. Had to turn the AC back on and close my window. Then when I woke up on Saturday morning someone was BBQing and we couldn't open the windows. Same during the mid-afternoon, and again on Sunday. I don't mind the smell of the cooking meat, it's just the smell of burning lighter fluid that I can't stand. Yuck.

Yesterday was trash day, so I went through the fridge and freezers and dumped a bunch of stuff I won't be eating anymore. Nothing really bad, just stuff made with white flour or too much sugar.

I'm so excited that the melons around here are finally in season and yummy. We got a watermelon and a cantaloupe last week and they were so good. I just have to be careful with fruit and not eat much more than a 1/2 cup per serving. The strawberries and blueberries are also so good right now.

The other day we saw the water the pool splashing around and went out to check it out. We found a baby squirrel had fallen in to the pool (probably trying to get a drink...the older squirrels have no problem hanging on the side of the pool to drink, but this was one was too little to do that) and couldn't figure out how to get out. Dad got the pool next and scooped him up. The poor little thing was shaking and exhausted. Dad placed him under the bushes to give him a little protection and hopefully time to recuperate. After awhile we noticed one of the neighborhood cats was skulking around our back yard, and Dad found the little squirrel had managed to climb about three feet off the ground on one of our palm trees. The cat could have got him at that height, but Dad shooed him away and he didn't come back. When we checked later we didn't find the squirrel, so it either found shelter or became lunch. Hopefully the former!

Sheryl, what a bummer about the salmon in your Blue Apron meal! I hope the rest of the meal was good. I have yet to make salmon myself. I'm always afraid I'll over or under cook it and it's so expensive. I usually just go out when I want some salmon. So sad about the little bunny, but I guess that's nature. Riding around in the car with the AC when it's in the 90s sound like a good plan! Glad you enjoyed the new Grill. I'm going to miss Fish & Chips!

Debora, wow, your sister's blood glucose and A1C numbers were so high! I'm glad to hear she's getting it under control. I hope your foot is feeling better by now. That sounds so painful. As on-the-go as you are, it must be hard to slow up a bit!

Isabella, I sure know the feeling of losing a favorite boss. I'm glad you are happy with her replacement though. After I lost my favorite boss Linda a few years ago, I've had three other bosses and none came close to Linda. Not that they were bad or unfair, just not a friend and mentor like Linda was.

Anew and Jannie, it's sure been a long time since we've heard from you. I hope all is well!

Back to work. Have a nice day everyone. :)
  • jlhawki
    jlhawki Posts: 225 Member
    Hi All! Gosh I've missed checking in with you all! We've been so busy at work and my hip is 'iffy' at best so I've been coming home and really resting every night. The boys have finished up school and I now have a Junior and Freshman in High School :smiley: I still have trouble wrapping my head around the fact my baby will be in high school!

My hip has been slowly getting better except for a incident in late April. I did a new exercise that was suppose to strengthen my inner thigh area and after only 4 of the exercises, my hip was toast :( It literally felt almost as bad as when it first happened. Good news was that I recovered much faster.

I went back to the rheumatologist and she thinks my hip pain is now from the muscle/ tendons around the joint. She explained that all the muscles/tendons hold it in place and if I'm walking abnormally (and boy am I walking oddly) that causes stress. So I'm restarting PT but will be doing water PT instead of regular PT. I requested this because I'm still able to go to water aerobics and usually feel lots better and thought this might be the answer! She also said that usually after a year of treatment, the reactive arthritis will go away. Sure hoping that happens, I'm tired of the pain and using the cane!

The boys and I went on a short vacation in early May. My oldest niece graduated from Vet school and we got to see her graduation ceremony. She has wanted to be a vet since she was 3 years old and after 10 years in college she made it! So proud of her :) We stayed in a Ramada inn and the bed was SO comfortable. It made my hip feel better and once we got home I bought a memory foam mattress topper for my bed. It's not quite as good as the hotel bed but it is better than before! We drove to Texas and luckily had no car issues. DJ got to fish a lot and I think caught 15 or so fish!

Marcie-- SO sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I'm glad you are handling it so well, I know that at first it's overwhelming. You will become a expert soon and will figure out what does and doesn't work for you. My one friend can't eat French fries but has no problem with pasta. My other friend can't eat pasta but is ok with fries. Both of them have good A1C's now and still have fluctuations in their daily numbers. Hope you feel less tired soon and that everything starts to level off! Glad you are finally getting rain :)

Sheryl-- Always happy to read about the animals at your house! Did Cary get anywhere with getting the drain fixed? Sorry to hear about your mom and hope she continues to try to move everyday! Glad you and John got out and enjoyed driving around :) Norma's trip sounds great unless she and Simon stop getting along then it might be not so much fun :( You are going to have lots of company this summer!

Aero-- glad the wedding went so well! The pics were great and I'm so glad it all turned out as planned. You are always so busy, I wish I could be that way but right now I'm all about healing this hip. So sorry your foot is hurt. Do you know what you did? I hope the pain gets better quickly! Are you still collecting and sending the books? My church was going to do that but then went with the shoebox collection instead.

Ivanek--happy belated anniversary! Glad you got two meals out of your bigger steak :) How is the fence with the bad neighbor going? Did you resolve it or just decide to ignore them?

Any word from Anew? I was a nervous wreck on vacation, checking the beds out to avoid the bedbug problem! I don't think I could possibly be as dedicated to eradicating them the way she has. Also, the whole getting bit part sounds horrible!

Not much else to say, nice to chat with you all again! Take care and hope everyone has a good rest of the week :)
  • arobed53
    Week has been busy with three grands here. Getting ready to head for Willing Workers in a bit. Bible School finishes tomorrow and then we'll drive them home and eat out. Then it's get back home to get 4 more for the evening and Saturday - don't know if we're keeping them overnight or not but I offered. Then maybe I'll have some time to myself.
  • arobed53
    Good morning. 6 am and boys are already up. Too early.
  • sannferris
    Good morning, hot already and John and I have talked about taking off today in the car, but, I'm thinking of all the stuff I want to get done before Norma arrives on Monday, so I may decide to try to work in the heat. John will probably want to stay and make sure all the animals stay OK in the heat. We'll put water sprinklers out for them and really don't want to leave those unattended.

Marcie, I saw Leona's FB post on how hot Sacramento is, much worse than me. Hope you and Dad and Cisco stay cool this weekend. Simon too, of course, although cats don't seem to have the same problems as us. Someone posted this photo on Leona's post, I thought it was hilarious.

swvtg9e2o80a.jpg

Debora, I'm glad that I get up early to the ducks and geese quacking and honking, I can shut them up with a little cracked corn, I don't what I'd do with your boys. Good luck this morning.

Jannie, good to hear from you. Congratulations on your 30 years on the job, wow! I'm sure you've made a tremendous difference in so many lives. Great work. You mentioned "12 more years". My Mom worked 42 years at the same job too, I can not imagine staying at one thing for that long, but it's obvious that you enjoy it and thrive in it.
    Now, you've got two high schoolers, wow, that's another job that takes all your might. Hope your hip gets much better...soon.
    Christina is starting water PT, I pray it does some good. I know you said that you get relief from it.

Isabella, sorry that I still haven't had a chance to get your recipes visible and/or printed out. Something always happens and takes me away from the computer...John! I'm finding that he needs more and more help with almost everything. But, that's what I'm here for, I love being with him and helping him. He'll ask me for instructions and after I've given him step by step, he'll say, "and how do I do that", so we usually end up working together. All works well except when his frustration level gets to the point that neither of us can communicate properly, then we both have to walk away and do something else. Fortunately, he continues to ask for help.

I'll go refill my mug, yes, even on these very hot days, I drink hot coffee.

• isyvanek
    Good morning everyone!
    Why is it that a short work week always seems longer than a regular work week?! :D We were fine considering it was our first week without Aline there. We miss her but things went along pretty much like normal. I had a conversation with Julia letting her know that she has my full support and that I am glad that she is Aline's replacement. She was very appreciative. She told me that Aline had decided a couple of years ago that she was going to groom Julia to be her replacement and that is why she had been giving Julia more duties. The plan for Aline's retirement wasn't supposed to happen for 2 or 3 more years but when the decision was made to retire early she sped up the process and training. That's Aline, always thinking ahead and planning how to make life easier for everyone.

We are going to our friends Jackie and Ken's house for dinner tonight. They plan to grill fajitas and make margaritas. We always have a good time when we are with them. I kept asking what I can bring but they keep telling me "your appetites" or "each other". It just feels wrong to go to someone's house for dinner empty handed! I'll just have to have them over for dinner soon then. It is supposed to be in the mid 90's today so I'm sure we'll hang outside for the evening.

They have been "slurry sealing" :# our neighborhood for the past couple of weeks. It sure can get smelly! They put out a notice when they are going to be doing a particular street and little no parking signs for several days to alert you that they are going to be working on that street. They start at 7am and you can't drive on that street until after 5pm. They are doing the cross street that we are connected to today so we are trapped on the street until 5pm. Good thing we don't have plans to go anywhere today or we would have had to go find a street to park on and move our car before 7am this morning. They are going to do our street on Tuesday so I will have to move my car or leave for work before 7am. I'll probably just go to Smart & Final early for work that morning to get cream & sugar, etc. It's also election day so we'll have to figure that out. Dan and I still go to the polls to vote. We like to go together.

Jannie, so good to hear from you! The fence went well when we finally were able to get it done. Our home owners assn. had to step in and tell the "difficult" neighbor that he had to allow the replacement. We just paid for that fence completely so we wouldn't have anymore stress of dealing with them. The neighbors on the other side paid for half of their fence though so that was nice. Wow, 2 teenage boys?! We'll pray for you! ;) Glad you are going to start water PT. Hope you get great results. Your trip to Texas sounds nice. What did your son do with all the fish he caught?

Sheryl, when I am done here I will send you the recipes in the body of 3 separate e-mails so you won't have to worry about trying to open them. Poor little bunnies! I hate crows!!!! But if your bunny population is anything like it is here then you can probably spare a bunny. As Marcie said, it's nature's way. Too funny that Norma's butt call was a girls night in. Sounds like they had a great time! Nice that she and your mom had a good time at the BBQ and that mom took her vacation news well so far. Your new restaurant sounds like it was very good. Always nice when a new place works out.

Debora, lots of time with the grands. Hope your foot holds up well. Let them help you! :p

Marcie, summer over night is crazy. It has been hot the last couple of days here too but it is supposed to cool down to high 70's low 80's again next week. Glad you have a good place to get salmon. It will definitely be good for your diabetes. Very wise that you tossed the stuff in the house that isn't good for you any more. It's good that you can discuss the changes you are going thru with your Dr. at your next appointment.

Well, I'm going to go read my ballot booklet to read about the propositions that will be on the ballot before Dan gets up. When in doubt, vote NO! ;)

Have a great day everyone!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Debora, I just received that carb counting & meal planning book you sent. Thank you soooo much! That was a nice surprise, and I'm sure it will be a big help as I get handle on this. Also, please thank your sister for me! :)
  • arobed53
    Well, we're back to the two of us. Lori's three came last Monday. She brought them out for Bible School and then I had them. They were pretty easy care. Paige (6) woke up one night and I had to go lay down for a bit. We finished one puzzle and then did a 500 piece one so I spent more time on it than I probably should have. Ralph took the kids to walk their pigs the first three nights and then it was bath time. Thursday night Jeremiah had a ballgame that Ralph took him too and the girls and I went to Willing Workers. Knowing it would be a later night, I had all of us girls "rest" in the afternoon. I was up after the 30 minutes. The other two slept. They all enjoyed Bible School. One afternoon we did food stuff. Lucy made deviled eggs. Paige made an angel food loaf from a mix and Jeremiah did dinner rolls (also a mix). The girls played school some each day. Jeremiah had his games on his phone. We watched America Ninja Warrior and some PBS sows. We loaded their stuff up Friday morning. I took them to Bible School and then went to town for my very quick errands. Maggie (the baby) missed them a lot - they missed her too and dad missed their "entertainment" help.

I got home, put things away, picked up Ralph and we went and got the kids and went to eat at Burger King. We took them home and Ralph left in their car to get a new tire for the car (out by where we live) and I came home thinking I'd have time for a nap before Alan's kids came. Wrong. I had been home for 15 minutes when they showed up. I was a good supervisor. I actually read two book while I watched them play in the basement. Think I was just in a slower state. But I kept things calm. Fixed frozen pizza for supper and was told I make the best pizza. :) I watched these kids at night but have taken them to their house to sleep so this was their first time to sleep here and it went amazingly well, except for the boys getting up early and that's normal for them. I had to do a load of laundry Friday cause Owen had enough accidents to go through all his clothes - had no problems today but he didn't like the outfit I created for him (one of my t-shirts and a pair of Ralph's underwear safety pinned at the waist. Ava had a dirty diaper each day - right after I had changed her. They all got a chance to go out and help Ralph with the chickens. They got picked up at 4:30 today and parents were happy with how boot camp had gone.

Since no one is coming tomorrow, I'm not doing a thing to the house. This week I've been noticing so much dust and stuff. Might be a week to do a bit better cleaning. But it may not happen since I'll be working in the nursery each morning at the Community Bible School. I think three of us have 8 kids to watch. My foot is doing much better. I'm actually beginning to see the bones in the top of my foot again so the swelling is going down. There's little pain unless I make a wrong move so I try to be careful and not do that.

We have another funeral this week. To us it seemed like her death was very sudden but since she died we've learned she has battled cancer the last 10 years but they never told anyone - not even in-laws. I won't be able to go to the funeral cause it's during Bible School so will go to the visitation.

Sheryl, love how you're making progress outside. You work hard when you can and rest well too. Bummer on the salmon.

Isabella, so wonderful that Jaimie found her bracelet - made the time eating a real celebration. Coupons are nice - the coloring book should be fun although the adult ones look so detailed to me - guess I'm a kid when it comes to coloring books. I have a granddaughter (7) who likes the adult ones.

Sheryl, glad Memorial Day went well for your mom and Norma and mom is handling the vacation okay. I'm sure you're excited about Norma coming on Monday. Glad Norma was out having a fun time when you got your call.

Wow, Marcie, temps over 100. That's hot. Hey, I sent you a booklet the other day - it's something that my sister found very helpful in the beginning so thought I'd share. Can't imagine having no ac in that weather. But maybe they just sit around with a fan blowing on them. How you get all you do done on so little sleep at times. Smart to clear out the cupboards and fridge. Then you don't have to work it in to your menu. It takes awhile to figure things out. Yummy on the fruit.

Jannie, wow, two high schoolers. It's happy and sad at the same time. It's exciting to see them turning into neat young men but you miss the "little" boys they once were. Hope the aquatic exercise helps. No fun to have pain all the time. A year to get all better is a long time. Glad you make it to and from Texas safely. Interesting to hear your memory foam experience. I've tried to talk Ralph into getting one. We have a cuddlewe deal but we've had it for a long time, I don't think it does that much plus it doesn't fit out mattress but he is fine with it, so...
    No, I don't know what I did to my foot although the xray report says I have mild degenerative changes primarily involving the tarsal articulations - you'll probably understand that - but I suppose it's just my body aging. I hope I can get back to walking though. I miss it.
    Yes, I've been wondering about Anew too. Hope she's okay.

Sheryl, hope you didn't overdo today working in the heat. At least you can rest tomorrow. Love the picture.

Isabella, glad the first week went smoothly and that your retired boss thought ahead so well. At least the slurry sealing won't last long. I don't know what they were doing in town yesterday but I had a hard time getting to the library.

Fixed leftovers for supper tonight. Thought about some foods I didn't use with the grands and things I had thought about doing but forgot about or didn't do. Oh well, we survived the week. We had a double-yoked egg the other day so I had a fried egg sandwich for breakfast so they could see it cracked open. I have some sandwich thins and hamburger buns (from wedding) in the freezer and Ralph doesn't like them that well for his breakfast sandwich so think I'll start having egg sandwiches for breakfast to use them all up. Really trying to work on what's in the freezer (I'm not good on just throwing stuff away) so this next week should help. Meals are interesting or blah - however you want to look at it, but we eat.

Have a good rest of the weekend.
  • arobed53
    Another funny - last night kids asked me how old I am. I don't care that they know but didn't feel like saying it right then. They know my sister is 72 and I did say I was younger. They knew that because I walk faster. So then they were guessing my age - first guess was 52, next was 55 and last one was 155. I like the first two cause they were younger and I said the last was okay because I would be famous cause I'd be the oldest person. And Owen said yes, cause you'd be dead. :)
  • sannferris
    A quick good morning, John is up early...We have a new family member and John is overly concerned. Yesterday, John was cleaning up under the south trees and our neighbor came out to visit. (This is a neighbor that I try to stay away from, kind of like Marcie's Beevis and Butthead), Gary is a blowhard, big talker and always in a money making scheme that's going to make him a millionaire. First he was going to raise pedigree dogs, little yippie dogs and had no discipline at all. Those poor dogs, just constantly got yelled at. He also buys cars at auction and thinks he can sell them for profit, NOT! His yard is worse than ours when it comes to junker vehicles in the yard and pasture. Anyway, he bought 3 chicks and lost one, the dogs ate one (different dogs, he now has boxers and pit bulls) and he wanted to get rid of the third one before the dogs ate her too. So, John brought home a medium sized chick. She's adorable, but has bonded to people and wants to be held all the time. John has a fit when she's chirping out cries for attention. However, this may keep him occupied, carrying around a chicken all the time. She may turn out to be just like Robin, loves being carried and held. I'll put a photo over on the other post.

Yesterday, I got the yard mowed, but quit working outside by 11 am when it hit 87 degrees. We made it to a record high of 98 degrees. Today, I plan to drain the pool and give the ducks and geese fresh water, plus made it look pretty for Norma's visit. We'll take the chick outside in an enclosure for the day and get her used to seeing the other animals, while still being protected by chain link. Will have to bring her in at nights until she gets bigger, but I think she can stay outside for daytime hours.

I better go, more later.
  • isyvanek
    edited June 2016
    Good morning, we had a really nice time at Jackie and Ken's house. Stayed till about 10:15. We were too wound up to go to bed so we stayed up for another hour or so and watched a couple of shows.

I sent Anew an e-mail a week or so ago to make sure she is OK what with all the flooding, etc. She replied that she is OK but doesn't have much to talk about beside the bugs and her truck that still isn't running although it has had work done, so she felt like she didn't have much to say and didn't want to be a downer. She has been bug free since 4/10 but is leery of opening the stuff that is bagged in the bedroom for another treatment for fear that there will still be some in there. I told her we like to hear from her even when there isn't much to say. Hopefully she'll come back and join us again soon.

Debora, great job with all the grands. Glad things went so well. How did you know you had a double yolk egg before you cracked it open? I also have to plan to "eat out of the freezer" every now and then to clear things out because I cannot throw anything away. Makes for some interesting meals sometimes! :wink:

Sheryl, thanks for sharing Leona's picture of Sacramento and the sun. That was pretty funny!

Ok, I'm off to get ready for church. Have a great week everyone!
  • sannferris
    Good Evening, got the pools cleaned out and the geese are loving it. John's got a constant companion in this little chick. She wants to be with him all the time. This will be very interesting. I'll put a few photos over on the other post and when I get my videos into photobucket, I'll post the link.

Due to change in plans with this little chick, I got the laundry done, so Norma will have clean sheets and towels, but I did not dust and vacuum, dirty house for my sister. I do have a nice clean cage with a roost for the little chick.
  • arobed53
    Priorities. Norma will enjoy her time no matter how the house looks. Have a wonderful time.
  • sannferris
    edited June 2016
    Good Morning, oh too funny, John got up early and immediately got the chicken out of her cage and sat with her for almost an hour. They are a couple.

He's in the shower now, getting ready to go to the airport with me to pick up Norma. The chicken is chirping her heart out trying to call him back to her.

Isabella, thank you for emailing Anew. I've been telling myself to do that for a long time and still, I haven't done it yet. I talk about the same stuff over and over again too, so she shouldn't feel bad about telling us all about her day, even if it's the same stuff today as yesterday. We just want to hear from her and know she's still kicking! I better tell HER that, not only you guys.

I got the guest bedroom cleaned, but the rest of the house will have to wait. I'll have a week to get the house clean and the other bedroom ready for when Norma returns next weekend with Simon. Wednesday, we're having a new roof put on. This past winter, when the rains and winds were in cooperation, we had leaks. Mainly coming through at the chimney for the woodstove. We got a new roof after our first winter here, leaks at all the vents, but that was 23 years ago and it was a "20-year" roof installed, so not bad. Next project to be hired out will be the new front deck. I wanted to wait until after the roof, in case they throw stuff off the roof that could possibly damage new deck.

I better get back to cleaning up the kitchen. As soon as John gets out of the shower, I can finish the dishes.