Sarah's OMAD Journal

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Going down!
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    It keeps ticking down, you prove that patience pays off.
    It won't be long until one day your scale shows a 160 number.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    edited October 2017
    I'm actually finding it a lot easier now that I'm not obsessed with the weight any more. I mean, obviously I'm still interested in my weight because weight loss IS my main goal here, but I'm not obsessing about it like I used to.

I'm not obsessed with the weight because I've been working hard to let go of this need to get to a certain weight by a certain date. Like who cares - what's going to happen if I'm NOT 150lbs (or whatever arbitrary weight I've picked out for myself) by xmas? It's going to happen eventually and clearly the goal date obsession hasn't worked out all that well for me in the past!!

I am also (finally) really trusting that this works and that having a meal with fries and ice cream every once in a while (well, actually twice this week!) isn't going to make me instantly gain all the weight back! Also feeling full isn't going to make me gain all the weight back.

I've ditched my Excel chart because it was filled with calculations that figured out what weight I was going to hit on what day based on different rates of losing. It was a bit crazy.

I think the realisation that if I'm really going to do this properly and have it be a "way of life" rather than a "diet" means that I can't control that rate of loss because I'm not controlling what goes into my body (other than feeding it mostly healthy food and not junk). i.e. I'm not restricting, I'm just not eating until dinner (which could be a couple of snacks and a glass or two of wine and then a main meal, or just a main meal, or whatever I feel like on that day).

This is the first time in my life that I feel like food isn't my enemy. I'm not fighting each and every day to not eat more than I should. Seems amazing to me that such a simple mindset change (you don't eat in the day) can make such a difference. It's just the same as the fact that I don't eat in my car, a fact. So weird and cool!

Also there are clearly major benefits brought about by the fasting that makes not eating in the day a no-brainer like "appetite correction" and ketosis.
  • minigrrll
    5sw853aj3nup.png
  • minigrrll
    One other important thing I just thought of. Cutting out all diet drinks and milk in my coffee during the fasting period has made a HUGE difference to the ease of my fasting. I did this about 6 weeks in and now only drink plain sparkling water or black coffee. It might just be a coincidence, but I no longer feel at all hungry until about an hour before I am due to eat. And even that hunger isn't the insatiable type hunger I was getting before that I really had to work to ignore. This is more like a "it's getting close to dinner time, I'm feeling a bit hungry" type of hunger.
  • blambo61
    edited October 2017
    Nice you have adapted so well and that food isn't an enemy and you can enjoy it now, and your'e still losing to boot! I only drink water during my fast. I don't think I would want much else on an empty stomach. It does help a lot!
  • minigrrll
    Though of something else while I was walking today. This is the only plan I’ve ever been on where you get more than losing weight as a reward for doing it. You also get to eat an amazing and satisfying meal every day. And when you are food motivated like me (and my dog Milo too, ha!!) this a major bonus. This doesn’t wear you down with deprivation day after day after day.
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    minigrrll wrote: »
    Though of something else while I was walking today. This is the only plan I’ve ever been on where you get more than losing weight as a reward for doing it. You also get to eat an amazing and satisfying meal every day. And when you are food motivated like me (and my dog Milo too, ha!!) this a major bonus. This doesn’t wear you down with deprivation day after day after day.

Agree 100%...all it takes is a little patience and thought...I like to make sure my meal is something I really like...I don't like wasting that one meal on something 'mehhhh'. I also like the thought of giving my body a break from non stop working so hard at constant digestion.
  • blambo61
    Getting full is a must for me! I've never tried small multiple meal diets (more than 1-day anyways) because I know that would never work for me. I may try just snacking during the day when I reach goal weight but I'm almost sure that probably will not work for me.
  • minigrrll
    I hate “wasting” my meal now too - I’ve become a total food snob!

I know for a fact that snacking during the day is never going to work for me! In fact, I don’t even think that regular splurge days are going to work for me. I’m pretty sure (though never say never!) that I’ll be doing OMAD for maintenance too. Unless I somehow become underweight (hahahahahaha, that is just too funny/ridiculous to even contemplate!) doing it on an ongoing basis, it sure seems to be the key to freedom from all the food crap for me...

Another loss today - this is good because the current weight loss trend will very likely be ending on Friday as I’m flying off to another week-long eat/drink fest in the USA for my company retreat.

czeh4c253slc.jpeg
  • blambo61
    Your doing great! Maybe set some compromise on the trip so that you are not totally denying yourself but you also have some limits so it doesn't go too far!
  • sammygold2015
    sammygold2015 Posts: 630 Member
    are trying to squeak into the 160's before your trip?
  • minigrrll
    are trying to squeak into the 160's before your trip?

That would be super cool but highly unlikely!!

• minigrrll
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Your doing great! Maybe set some compromise on the trip so that you are not totally denying yourself but you also have some limits so it doesn't go too far!

Yup, pretty close to my plan. I’m going to fast until a certain time every day. We have a cocktail hour at 6:30 each evening (we work until 6), so I will open my window then and play it by ear for the rest of the night. Friday/Saturday will be a little harder though, as a few of us are getting in 2 days early (the retreat starts on Sunday) so we can hang out together in Denver and explore in the day and check out the nightlife. So Saturday is really going to be the challenging day. These people like to start imbibing early and I will have a hard time resisting. I might just decide on a reasonable time like 2pm and plan to open my window early that day.

• minigrrll
    So I pretty much stayed the same today (well, I’m up a tiny bit but it’s minuscule). I majorly overate last night though. I haven’t done that in AGES and I thought I’d trained myself out of doing it. I was actually sitting on the couch after dinner in pain because I ate so much pasta. It was a horrible feeling. I kind of knew when I served myself a second helping of the pasta that it was going to be too much, but for some reason I ignored that. I’ve been so good at not ignoring my fullness signals lately and it really reminded my why I’ve got to listen to my body! I was still uncomfortably full a few hour later when I went to bed!! Crazy. Also funny how I think I’ve mastered something and then I realize that I really haven’t!

dvpn9tlsq4v6.png
  • blambo61
    I struggle a bit every day with the fast but I don't think it supposed to be totally easy!
  • minigrrll
    I struggle a bit every day with the fast but I don't think it supposed to be totally easy!

I probably shouldn’t say this because it’s probably just another thing I think I’ve got a handle on when I really don’t, but I actually find the fast super easy. I really don’t get hungry now until right before it’s time to eat. I get the odd fleeting thought of food, especially if I’m working on a hard and/or boring problem, but other than that, food is the farthest thing from my mind. Even other people eating doesn’t bother me now (it used to kind of annoy me and make me a bit angry!).

I do know I’m go into ketosis every day (I bought a blood monitor and checked for a couple of weeks so I know what it feels and tastes like now) from about 11am onwards and that is supposed to lower hunger, so that’s probably what makes it so easy.

So different from all the diets I’ve been on where the only thing I can think about is food. When I can have the next food, what I’m “allowed” to have, etc, etc. This is so relaxing to me and takes up so much less of my time. Plus the kitchen is so much cleaner!! :)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member

I totally agree!!! :)
  • blambo61

I probably shouldn’t say this because it’s probably just another thing I think I’ve got a handle on when I really don’t, but I actually find the fast super easy. I really don’t get hungry now until right before it’s time to eat. I get the odd fleeting thought of food, especially if I’m working on a hard and/or boring problem, but other than that, food is the farthest thing from my mind. Even other people eating doesn’t bother me now (it used to kind of annoy me and make me a bit angry!).

I do know I’m go into ketosis every day (I bought a blood monitor and checked for a couple of weeks so I know what it feels and tastes like now) from about 11am onwards and that is supposed to lower hunger, so that’s probably what makes it so easy.

So different from all the diets I’ve been on where the only thing I can think about is food. When I can have the next food, what I’m “allowed” to have, etc, etc. This is so relaxing to me and takes up so much less of my time. Plus the kitchen is so much cleaner!! :)

Glad it is being easy for you! It is not really that easy for me now. I think the extra running I'm doing now is making me hungrier. I'm usually hungry by 10:00 a.m. or so now where it used to be about 1-2 pm. It is manageable though. When I reach goal weight, I will probably do 16:8 about 5xweek and 20:4 about 2xweek. Keep on keeping on!
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Sarah good point on the no hunger. I remember my friend wanting to stop for a quick lunch and I just had water. I had absolutely no thought of food and was surprised by her saying "Aren't you hungry? I don't know how you do it" but really she took me by surprise because I had absolutely no thought of wanting anything at that point. Then we went to dinner another time and her and another friend were surprised at how little of my entree I ate. They were like "you have to eat more than that! It's your food for the whole day". I mean I coulda had all that I wanted but I absolutely hate feeling over stuffed and ate till I reallllly didn't want more. So stomach shrinks and desire does go away outside the eating window with time. I gotta remember that right now when I'm back in the 'adaption' phase.