Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I haven’t been in ketosis in a long time. I’m still doing IF, tracking and eating keto friendly foods, it’s just been lazy keto, more low carb than anything but I’m wanting to get back to the real deal. I want the bad keto breath and whole 9 yards.

Any suggestions for getting back there quickly? I’ve heard it’s harder for people who’ve been at it awhile.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I want the bad keto breath and whole 9 yards.

I don't struggle with the keto breath much but wow, my sweat stinks now! lol

No advise on getting back into ketosis other than cut those carbs down and really stick with it. I went out of ketosis for a few weeks and got back in quickly by staying strictly 20g of carbs or lower. I now can go up in grams and stay in ketosis but I still aim for 20 grams a day (carbs - fiber) My hardest part is getting enough fat. I tend to over-do it on protein.

Good luck!

• Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Strenuous exercise, if you're up to it really helps. Fasting and exercise is even quicker.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I haven’t been in ketosis in a long time. I’m still doing IF, tracking and eating keto friendly foods, it’s just been lazy keto, more low carb than anything but I’m wanting to get back to the real deal. I want the bad keto breath and whole 9 yards.

Any suggestions for getting back there quickly? I’ve heard it’s harder for people who’ve been at it awhile.

@4031isaiah - sounds like you're well on your way to being fat adapted, which honestly, long term, did WAY more for me than being deep in NK...

What @Fvaisey said above - exercise to burn through any remaining muscle glycogen. Getting super strict with total carbs, not net, below 20. No AS for a week or 2 (can keep you out). No fruit. No booze. None of any of the things that you can tolerate better with fat adaption but that might hinder actual ketosis... Maybe an egg fast to kick things back off? Or a fat fast of any kind? Where you're 80-85% fats just to burn off any residual road blocks?

But honestly, what specifically are you looking to gain from getting hard back into keto? 70% (or more!) of those same benefits (aside from the medical things, like seizure prevention, etc.) are available to someone doing legit low carb (under 75-100 or so...) with no funny business... You can react difference to things that some folks. Maybe you can handle half a banana, but it would kick me out. Maybe I can handle a piece of "leaded" cake, sans frosting, but it would knock you right out. Everyone responds differently...

If you can tell us what specific facets you miss, we might be able to give better advice to regain those specific ... benefits?
  • risyfitforlife
    risyfitforlife Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@4031isaiah - sounds like you're well on your way to being fat adapted, which honestly, long term, did WAY more for me than being deep in NK...

What @Fvaisey said above - exercise to burn through any remaining muscle glycogen. Getting super strict with total carbs, not net, below 20. No AS for a week or 2 (can keep you out). No fruit. No booze. None of any of the things that you can tolerate better with fat adaption but that might hinder actual ketosis... Maybe an egg fast to kick things back off? Or a fat fast of any kind? Where you're 80-85% fats just to burn off any residual road blocks?

But honestly, what specifically are you looking to gain from getting hard back into keto? 70% (or more!) of those same benefits (aside from the medical things, like seizure prevention, etc.) are available to someone doing legit low carb (under 75-100 or so...) with no funny business... You can react difference to things that some folks. Maybe you can handle half a banana, but it would kick me out. Maybe I can handle a piece of "leaded" cake, sans frosting, but it would knock you right out. Everyone responds differently...

If you can tell us what specific facets you miss, we might be able to give better advice to regain those specific ... benefits?

I don’t have a specific reason other than breaking the pattern of doing well for awhile, slowly and unnoticeably slipping back into bad habits and not realizing what I’ve done until it’s too late.

I still have 35-40lbs to lose and I know the reason I’m not there yet is because of the slippery slope I’ve been going up and down for months.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I feel you Christie! I'm at my top regain weight again and shaking my head. I'm just keeping on.

Goals for now:
    1.cut out extra alcohol added since March.
    2. Zoom back on extra calories and carbs added since last September. (13 months ago - not last month)
    3. 3 month break from most social events. Need to reset myself.

I am going to get these 20-25 pounds off. No matter what.
    My new artist course is awesome. Really glad to have that to focus on in the upcoming self imposed 3 month social exile.
    All about self care for now. I think I really need it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I don’t have a specific reason other than breaking the pattern of doing well for awhile, slowly and unnoticeably slipping back into bad habits and not realizing what I’ve done until it’s too late.

I still have 35-40lbs to lose and I know the reason I’m not there yet is because of the slippery slope I’ve been going up and down for months.

@4031isaiah - Then I personally would work on getting to the root of your back-sliding - and addressing those specific issues...

Craving this because you ate that? Figure out why you ate/wanted the first food. Avoid the first one to avoid the second one.

Not logging faithfully so losing sight of "gateway carbs" or small ones to add up? Track again!

Missing specific foods? Find swaps that hit the nutrient or composition craving. Or, if necessary, have a very small amount of something, just enough to kill the craving, and hop right back on plan.

Hungry at odd times? Not staying full long enough? Make sure you are getting enough protein, enough fats, enough calories at once! Getting enough fluids?

Snacking or eating when not hungry? Journal, do therapy, etc., but figure out why you're stress or boredom eating, etc.

Too tired to cook? Make sure you have "back up" convenience foods...hard boiled eggs, lunch meats, canned/tinned foods, etc. Make a back up plan, because we all have times we don't want to cook, etc.

Too much exposure to the wrong foods being tempting? Get rid of them. Help your family get healthier, too. Keep any necessary foods (for others) in different areas for less "traffic" from you!

The best part is that you know how to make it work - you just have to dial in on the reasons!
  • elize7
    Options
    It appears I need to be doing some dialing in on reasons as well.
    Mostly getting by okay, and sticking to some fundamental daily routines...but the food plan is off kilter. Didn't help having to chuck all my keto meats when the fridge broke, but I'll get that together again this weekend.
    My son is coming for a visit of several days next weekend. It's like a light at the end of the tunnel for this particular time period. Can't wait.
    I've got one exercise left for my artist course for this week, then tomorrow I write a summary of it all, and then on to week two. It's really awesome and fun.
  • elize7
    Options
    I'm being really careful about restocking my fridge items. Maybe less is more will be my new ideal foodwise and otherwise. I'd been trying to keep a bigger variety of foods in my house, but it seems a bigger amount went to my stomach. I'm taking this unexpected food toss as an opportunity to reset the food plan. Starting with....eggs. Simple, versatile, and inexpensive. Also, I luv 'em.
    Today, week two begins for my art course. Week one was fabulous.

• hillarymouse
    hillarymouse Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm in a stall and cranky about it! But I'm planning on a no-cheat Thanksgiving and kind of excited about it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @hillarymouse - Do you have your keto recipes at the ready? I know several of us have saved up holiday recipes!
  • hillarymouse
    hillarymouse Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    @knitormiss I’ve got a bunch saved on Pinterest! For me it will be a matter of placating my family while keeping things keto!
  • elize7
    Options
    I've done no cheat holidays, and felt quite satisfied. This woe has good food available to us. Passing up some non Keto friendly foods-even if we miss and want them- in no way means we can't have happy tummies.
    You can do it!
  • elize7
    Options
    Hello all. Well, for me it's official...holiday season has begun. Time to keep a serious eye on the stress meter and plan lots of small peaceful moments during the day to break it up.
    I'm having some small withdrawal symptoms as I'm toning down the socials, but actually I feel a deep relief at focusing on other things for awhile. I really need to reassess what I'm doing overall.
    A bonus is that my alcohol consumption is way down, and my keto eating is going back to more successful habits without even trying too hard.
    I might even try to get my home holiday going by design rather than last minute, since I have extra time on my hands and less overall stress. That might be a plan.
    Anyway, feeling good, hope my pals are, too.
  • Marcelynh
    Options
    November goals:
    1. Watch the Astros win the World Series tonight
    2. Log each day
    3. Keep my macros at 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs (or stay as close as possible)
    4. Run 3 times a week for the first 3 weeks, one run being a long run of 15+ miles. Fourth week is easy runs/walks before race weekend.
    5. Get a massage weekly! (yes!) Stretch twice daily
    6. Have my Christmas shopping finished by November 30th.

October ended just fine. I was told I was "an evil person" because I don't participate in or celebrate Halloween. Say what?????

Marcelyn
    Hopeful in Houston that tonight is a win!
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    November goals:
    1. Watch the Astros win the World Series tonight...
    ...Hopeful in Houston that tonight is a win!

YASSSSSSSS!!!!
  • Marcelynh
    Options
    WHOOP WHOOP!
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    October ended just fine. I was told I was "an evil person" because I don't participate in or celebrate Halloween. Say what?????

Marcelyn
    Hopeful in Houston that tonight is a win!

@Marcelynh
    Didn't this used to be backwards?? If you celebrated, you were worshiping the devil? I think some people have to be contrary or contentious just to feel like they add value to the universe! SMDH

Sounds like your "friend" or "acquaintance" was looking for permission to "act a fool," and s/he got mad at you for being an adult and owning your own choices! LOL
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been in One-derland for a few weeks now. I didn't want to say I was there until I was sure it would stick. Seems like my body was fighting hard to keep me where I was.

Ten more lbs to my final goal weight. After maintaining for two years it was a bit difficult to kick start my weight loss again. Probably because I was very comfortable where I stopped. However, I wanted to drop down to a weight I thought will be healthy in my "senior" years.

Once I trash that last 10 pounds it will be time to build up a bit more muscle. Hoping to be strong and fit into my 80's. Got to be able to pick up my great grandchildren when they arrive.