Pregnancy

Options

Replies

• WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @puffbrat That was one hell of a birth story, wow. I'm glad it had a positive ending! How are things now?

@SheilAnneSmith @Alioth @jennamae102 How are you all doing/feeling/etc?
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    @WifiresGettingFit I'm doing really well now. The c-section recovery actually wasn't horrible. The first few days were hard particularly with getting up, sitting down or bending over, so others had to help get the baby or put him in the bassinet. There was confusion about my pain medication the first couple days so I was only getting half, but that was sorted out before I left the hospital. The first few weeks were incredibly hard but all of us adjusted and now everything is great. There are still hard moments or days, my memory is absolute crap, and I have all lost self-restraint but I'm happy, the baby is adorable, Leo and I are great and everyone is healthy. I'm back to working full time. My office mate has a baby who is 8 weeks younger, so we trade stories, commiserate and offer each other advice which is awesome.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    @puffbrat I'm so glad things are much better now! =)
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    @puffbrat thanks for coming back and sharing your story and not sugar coating it. :) Glad to hear mom, dad and baby are doing well
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    @puffbrat Holy cow! I'm thankful that you and the baby pulled through. That must have been so tough on you and Leo! Thanks for sharing your story. ...I wonder which opiate the shaking is related to in the epidural? I've witnessed the shaking you described with heroin addicts coming down in the emergency room. It's harmless, but scary to see. I think it has to do with the nervous system coming back online after being suppressed by pain killer. And it's good to know about if I end up encountering a similar situation 7 months from now!
  • SheilAnneSmith
    SheilAnneSmith Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you for sharing @puffbrat. I'm glad you and baby are okay and doing well now. How scary. I remember shaking just coming out of anesthesia for a hand surgery and it was scary then, I can't imagine how scary it was after a c-section.

I've been feeling better the last few weeks, finally feeling like I'm not dragging all of the time and able to stay awake past 7:30. I have been having daily headaches, but I guess that's better than other symptoms. Only other thing I've noticed is getting winded easily and some round ligament pain that had slowed me down a bit some days.

I have an appointment tomorrow, but it should just be a quick, routine appointment. I'll be happy to hear baby's heartbeat again. I'm pretty sure I've been feeling flutters for the last couple of weeks. I know they want to me do a 1 hour glucose test at 18 weeks, based on my history/family history so I'll no doubt be scheduling that along with scheduling our ultrasound for the first of the year.

• MimiLaza
    MimiLaza Posts: 12 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @SheilAnneSmith have you checked with your state. California offers supplemental insurance for pregnancy that I qualified for.
  • MimiLaza
    MimiLaza Posts: 12 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @puffbrat your birth story sounds a bit like mine, but unfortunately my baby didn't make it. I am glad you had a happy ending with your beautiful baby ♥
  • Alioth
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @SheilAnneSmith Glad you're starting to feel a bit better! I get headaches too, but not so often as you're having them. That sucks. Hearing baby's heartbeat and feeling flutters must be very exciting. I have a few more weeks before anything might be picked up on a fetal doppler. All I'm feeling is gas. Haha.

@MimiLaza ;__; Wow, sorry to hear about your little one.

Welp, we told the parents last night. Picked them up at the airport, took them to a nice restaurant, and told them over a steak dinner. They are quite excited. Dad has forgiven us for not going on that mission trip with him to the Philippines. He'd had his heart set on us going, but I had to make up excuses why I didn't want to while TTC. But I was worried about Zika. Anyway, we also called the MIL and told her. She...texted us back suggesting we name it after her side of the family. lol. Josh is going to tell some people at church this morning. I'll announce on facebook later this week with a Christmas card. It's really pretty here right now because we got (for us) a lot of snow, which we normally don't get this early if at all. Also, the power is out in parts of town. We lost power at our house for a few hours Friday, and I tried to cook dinner in the dark over the fireplace, and that was a disaster. So glad I don't have to do that often! I was queasy all weekend, and queasy right now. Telling people what's going on, will be a relief so I can stop pretending I feel well when I don't.
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    Liz that's awesome that you've told your family, how awesome and exciting!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    @MimiLaza I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. HUGS!

@Alioth That's awesome that you finally got to share your big news and that everyone is excited! It's even extra awesome that you no longer having to pretend you're feeling well when you aren't! How far along are you now? Glad you got your power back!
  • marianlyn
    marianlyn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    @MimiLaza I am so sorry for your loss! I know that doesn’t make anything better, but I feel for you. I had a loss at 39 weeks, and this is my first subsequent pregnancy. Are you expecting again?
    Hugs to you, mama!
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    @MimiLaza so so sorry to hear of your loss. How absolutely devastating.

@puffbrat thanks for sharing your birth story! That had to be really scary. Congrats again on your little one and welcome back.

@Alioth how exciting to be able to share with the world and make a Christmas announcement! I think a lot of us dream of Christmas-themed announcements, haha. Sorry again that you’ve been feeling so queasy.
  • puffbrat
    Options
    Thank you for all of the support and well wishes ladies! I am so thankful everything turned out well. We had a couple more things to deal with in the hospital after birth relating to the kiddo being so small and also not regulating his blood sugar well, but they turned out ok with minimal fuss.

@MimiLaza and @marianlyn I am so incredibly sorry to hear about your losses! I can't even imagine the heartbreak.

@Alioth That's so exciting you are getting to announce right now! Names are something that everyone has an opinion on. In case you haven't heard it yet, one thing that is really helpful for queasiness is nut butters (peanut butter, almond butter, etc.). Something about stabilizing your blood sugar so you don't get the high and lows as much since hunger can cause major nausea while pregnant.

@SheilAnneSmith I'm glad you are starting to get some energy back. That's really exciting to get to hear the heartbeat again. Hopefully the glucose test will go well whenever it gets scheduled.
  • Alioth
    Options
    Tks everyone! Feeling better today. This whole week has overall been better except for Sunday and Tuesday. Feels great to let people know. But extra scrutiny and facing a barrage of personal questions from coworkers, friends and customers is quite daunting. How do the rest of you deal with it/have dealt with that? My husband and my brother have been proudly telling everyone they meet, and it's embarrassing and makes me feel overwhelmed.

@puffbrat I took your advice. For breakfast I had natural crunchy peanut butter slathered on apple cinnamon toast. Have not needed my medicine today. (yet) Tks so much!

Found out one of my best friends is pregnant too. Her due date is 4 days away from mine. Hers is secret for now, but they let me and Josh know because we are dealing with the same thing. I saw her Wednesday. She was so pale and tired, I feel sympathetic! But also excited that we can go through this together.

Just for kicks, here's a link to my announcement Christmas card. Only a few people got it at first. So maybe it was too subtle?
  • puffbrat
    Options
    @Alioth I think your announcement card is really cute and it's actually kind of hilarious that people didn't get it at first. I'm glad the peanut butter suggestion is helping at least somewhat! A coworker was the one to let me on. It's such a seemingly random and weird trick but really does help.

I tend to be a pretty open book so I didn't struggle with the personal questions so much as the barrage of advice and judgements. I do agree that it's awkward and embarrassing. It also makes you feel like less a person; now you're just an exciting incubator. My only suggestion is hold your ground at whatever boundaries you are most comfortable with, try to remember that people are excited and mean well, let it go as much as possible, don't hold back the eye rolls unless you are feeling generous, and rage vent to your hubby whenever you need to. I also recommend practicing resting *kitten* face. I feel like people pry less when you already look ready to bite their head off ;)
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    Lizz, super cute announcement! I sent you a friend request (please no talk about me TTC there though if you do accept it)

:) glad you are feeling better and you have a friend to go through this with!
  • WifiresGettingFit
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @Alioth Cute announcement! (I didn't find it too subtle, I feel like even if I didn't know already that I would have gotten it right away.) =)

I wish I had some advice to give about the questions and comments but some people just have no social tact (or well...just no tact at all) but as far as your brother and husband, I would tell them how you're feeling and maybe ask that they leave sharing the good news to you since you are the one getting bombarded with all the questions.

Congratulations to your friend!
  • SheilAnneSmith
    SheilAnneSmith Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've been a little quiet, just busy and not much to report. I've been feeling pretty good the last few weeks, think I finally have some energy back and am getting more done before work.

My current workout routine consists for 20-30 minutes a day of cleaning up the cow shed; it nets me about 1 1/2 miles of steps and probably a bit of a light arm workout too, so it's not too bad. I've been sneaking in other walks when I can, but the weather is getting pretty crappy, I'll resign to buying my gym membership finally after Christmas I think, just to give me a warm, dry option...but the cows never fail to make a new mess each day to be cleaned up!

Not surprisingly, I failed my 1-hour glucose test yesterday--but we are bypassing the 3-hour test and heading straight towards monitoring, which is fine. I appreciate my doctor allowing me to go that route rather than jumping through more hoops. I felt horrible all day yesterday just after the 1 hour test, I like sweets, but there is a reason I don't drink soda or eat straight sugar without protein and fats along with it! Only thing is trying to find the balance between macros I ate at in the past when eating low-carb vs. still having to make sure I eat enough carbs for baby. The guidelines I've found online for GD are surprisingly high carb, I've got a diabetic cook book that I hardly used because I felt the recipes carried too many carbs in the past, maybe it's time to revisit it and use it a bit more this time.

My Christmas spirit has been pretty minimal, we are headed to my parents tomorrow, it's about a 10 hour drive. Marlin I went Christmas shopping together, each pointing out what we wanted so we had something to wrap and take down to "put on a show" at my parents. We did agree to surprise each other with one small item, so I got him a funny "baby owners manual" book I think he'll get a laugh out of.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    Options
    @SheilAnneSmith Glad you've been feeling pretty good! That sucks about the glucose test but at least you have a plan and will be monitored! Hope you have safe travels!