Trying to Concieve

Options

Replies

• girlalmighty08
    girlalmighty08 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Did anyone start taking Folic Acid while you were still on birth control? Is that okay?
  • ifthoughts
    ifthoughts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    Got my opks in the mail yesterday. So so very negative! Looking like AF is on the way though with the cramps and pink cm I have today. On to cycle 11 :(
    Just wanted to send my best wishes to you! It's so hard when you get into the double digits of trying. We're on #16 this month with no luck. Are you planning on visiting a clinic/going to an RE soon? I did in September and got told my thyroid was high. I hope you get answers soon. Seeing af come each month while everyone else gets BFPs is heartbreaking. I'm with you!
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    @Kirstie155 so sorry for the anovulatory cycle but I’m glad it was short lived!
    @girlalmighty08 I didn’t take folic acid on BC but since it’s in prenatal vitamins, which I think you can take while still on BC, I wouldn’t worry about it.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    @Ifthoughts I saw and RE last week and so far we are looking unexplained. I had an HSG this week and blood drawn today to check a few other things that haven't been done yet like vitamin D level.
  • girlalmighty08
    Options
    I have a question... how far in advance of TTC did you ladies start taking folic acid? And did anyone take it while they were still on birth control pills?
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @girlalmighty08 My doctor recommended to start a prenatal at least a month before TTC. I've seen recommendations for 3 months as well. She also recommended that I have at least one cycle before trying as well.

Just some insight (obviously it may be different for you) but I went off birth control March 2017 and it took 8 months for my cycle to get back to what it was pre-birth control.

As for taking folic acid while taking birth control pills, it's a little beyond my scope of knowledge. I will say that I was actively taking both a birth control and multi with folic acid without any issues. From some reading I've done, I do know that some birth control now contains folic acid as a pre-existing folic acid deficiency can be exaggerated when taking oral contraception which can make it dangerous to get pregnant shortly after stopping birth control.

This is probably something to run by your doctor.

(EDIT: fix wording)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies.

I'm sorry to read about your frustrations with ovulation and your length of cycles! @pezhed any answers from a new clinic? I realize you might have said something in another thread while I've been missing everything.

@girlalmighty08 I feel like it would be fine to take folic acid while on bc. Folic acid is a naturally occurring vitamin. If you can eat asparagus on bc, taking it in pill form shouldn't be an issue. I've also heard the first month off bc you are usually advised not to ttc. This is for a few reasons. 1 being it makes it hard to date the pregnancy. 2 being some women release multiple eggs the first cycle and and up with a pregnancy of multiples.

I have some catching up to do as usual... But here is an update from me...

I can't believe I'm saying this... But I've started to try tracking my bbt again. You know what's impossible? Tracking bbt while you have a kiddo going through a sleep regression and who still doesn't sleep through the night and wakes up at comepletely random times. It is ALL. Over. The. Place.

I think Chris and I are going to start trying again on my cycle after May 11. That way... hopefully... I can be at work the bare minimum amount of time between babies. But sometimes I second guess this plan. I am not sure I will handle two small kids at the same time well plus even medically it's better to wait 18 months... now of course my cycle is still all over the place so I have no idea what's going on. But just going to try to keep myself not thinking about that part.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    @VeryKatie You're still getting in the habit of doing your BBT so that's something right? I know it's frustrating but hopefully the sleep regression will be over soon! I think it'll all work out in the end, May is still a month away and things may become clearer in that time!
  • girlalmighty08
    Options
    Has anyone used the Ovia app? How long do you have to enter data for before it starts showing you some predictions... all I have is question marks! lol.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    @girlalmighty08 I didn't try that one. But my other apps took about 3 months to start being calibrated. Folic acid...was already in my regular women's multi so I didn't think to take it. I took prenatals in advance, but no idea if it helped or not.

@VeryKatie I know what you mean. I haven't even gotten through this pregnancy yet, and as rotten as I've felt, I'm already planning for the next one. I know it's crazy. But I feel so much pressure due to my age to try again soon. 40 feels just around the corner, and who knows how long it'll take to get pregnant again. I'm not going to track at first though, just not prevent and see how it goes with breastfeeding. So good luck with temping and good luck with getting your little guy to stay asleep!
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    Interesting... it would seem that according to my temperature chart this past month, my luteal phase is only 12 days.
  • Alioth
    Options
    @VeryKatie Was it longer before? 12 days is ok though, right? I think mine was 10-12.
  • VeryKatie
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @Alioth it's supposed to be 14 days minimum or else it's hard to get pregnant, maybe impossible. It was 14 days at minimum before I had Keith. But you make me feel more optimistic! Imolatation takes 6 to 12 days so it would stink to get my period before it implanted.
  • Alioth
    Options
    @VeryKatie Definitely not impossible, or I wouldn't be here now. Haha. I did try to lengthen it though with progesterone cream, and used mustard oil to give spermies super speed. But who knows if either actually did anything? But yeah, as far as I know, I never had a 14 day luteal phase. 12 was my max, and rare at that. Hitting day 14 was the biggest sign I was preggers. So don't be too discouraged. :smile:
  • pezhed
    Options
    @VeryKatie 14 days is average! 10 days is minimum. You're good! https://www.verywellfamily.com/luteal-phase-1960086
  • pezhed
    Options
    Sorry I meant 10-14 days is average, so you're good at 12 days. It also might lengthen as you begin to regulate again. My LP wasn't getting to 10 days for a long time after BC and starting in January finally is 13 days.
  • Alioth
    Options
    @pezhed Good article! I learned something from it. Also...if your luteal phase has lengthened since January, that's good news for you, right?
  • pezhed
    Options
    YES! I'm sooo happy about it. It was completely random but it felt like a whole new lease on TTC!
  • girlalmighty08
    Options
    I bought a home OP kit last week (the digital Clear Blue one) just to see how out of sync I was from my Ovia app and seeing as this is my first cycle of BCP. I was extremely relived to see that the predictions all matched up, give or a take a day, and today I actually tested as being in peak ovulation. I know there's still things that could go wrong, and maybe I'm being a bit naive, but I did get some comfort in seeing that smiley face on the stick, lol.
  • Alioth
    Options
    @girlalmighty08 That's fantastic! The OPKs really helped me and Josh. I think it's pretty normal for BBT and OPKs to be off a day from each other since they are only accurate for a 24-36 hour window. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.