Daily check-in for keto friends... volume 3

Options

Replies

• Koso2006
    Koso2006 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Saw a nice little loss on the scale this morning....hopefully it will stay until tomorrow for my weekly weigh in. Have been staying within my carb range without too much difficulty this week. Starting to feel really good. Now if my knee would cooperate!!!!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh I'm in quite the slump. Holidays, travel, cold weather, sickness. It just all piled up and I got out of "keto-sync" and it's like I'm starting all over again but without much motivation. I seriously need motivation.

Marcelyn
    in the land of psycho-weather (17 degrees Tuesday, 70 degrees yesterday)
  • Koso2006
    Options
    Ready for Monday!!! Got my food for lunch/snack (if needed) packed. 15 minute walk done. Cup of BulletProof Mocha Coffee in hand. Knee feels pretty good this morning. I can actually kneel on it for a short amount of time.

Have a great day everyone!!!!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Oh gosh I'm in quite the slump. Holidays, travel, cold weather, sickness. It just all piled up and I got out of "keto-sync" and it's like I'm starting all over again but without much motivation. I seriously need motivation.

Marcelyn
    in the land of psycho-weather (17 degrees Tuesday, 70 degrees yesterday)

Same! I started the year off on fire and dropped 4.4lbs in the first week! It didn’t stick, though... now I just can’t seem to get and keep it together...
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    utdiva77 wrote: »
    Finally understand how folks IF on Keto! I am forcing myself to eat at 11 and will wrap up my eating by 7, which means a 16 hour IF! If you had told me last month that I wouldn't be hungry on Keto I would not have believed you; I have been hungry my whole life!! Super excited about this WOE!

Isn't it mind boggling?! I'm able to eat from 1-7 no problems. Before this way of eating I constantly felt hungry. I would have never believed I could fast for 18hrs a day. Love it!
  • hardrockpoet
    hardrockpoet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Are you all on the Keto diet? I just started, have been going for a week but haven’t lost any weight. I’ve definitely stayed below 50g in my carbs and sugars I think, so I’m rather surprised I haven’t lost anything. Tips?
  • sbryanthc
    sbryanthc Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I went out with a friend for coffee at Starbucks. I ordered a tall Latte Macchiato with Almond milk. That’s it. To me it tasted super sweet. Is it suppose to taste sweet?? I’ve never had it before but since she invited me I didn’t want to turn her down and online it says the drink I ordered has 7g carbs. With how sweet it was I just think that’s impossible. But I’m also thinking maybe since I’ve stayed away from all sugar with Keto maybe I can pick up any sweetness from milk or xantham gum I think is what their website says they use on that drink. I just want to be sure I logged my calories and carbs right. Thanks for the insight.
  • sbryanthc
    sbryanthc Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Are you all on the Keto diet? I just started, have been going for a week but haven’t lost any weight. I’ve definitely stayed below 50g in my carbs and sugars I think, so I’m rather surprised I haven’t lost anything. Tips?

I usually try to stay under 20g of carbs. It’s hard if it’s your very first time, but just push through it. 50g I think is way too many carbs to get into ketosis so early.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options

How closely are you tracking what you eat? You may think your carbs are lower than they actually are if you’re not measuring and tracking.
  • Koso2006
    Options
    Good Morning. Gave up half my day off - working this afternoon. Getting ready to do a little 30 minute walking workout. Fasted yesterday from supper the night before until lunch. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Glad I listened to all of you. I feel great today. Am going to do it again.

Have a great day!!!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Am adjusting to son's return home. This is a good thing! Yay!... but, one day I hope to be able to handle changes and stresses with more consistant self care.
    My current focus is on not giving in to what feels like co-dependant behaviors... on my part... as a worrywart mom.
    Selfcare, mindfulness, and incredible amounts of patience are what I'm in the market for this week.
    Wish me luck's pals... I think I need it!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Good luck, @elize7 :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

@hardrockpoet - At 50 grams of carbs, it will take you longer to get fully into ketosis, but you will likely get there eventually. (some folks - generally those with specific medical conditions or metabolic impairment - do have to stick to the 20 grams a day or lower number to achieve nutritional ketosis, but many can maintain ketosis around 50 grams of carbs, particularly if they are quality carbs (not sugars, starches or in very low quantity, etc.).

Remember that the body MUST heal before it does ANYTHING ELSE.

If you weren't eating a ton of carbs before, you might not have the initial loss some folks see. Same if you don't have a lot of weight to lose.

Pictures and measurements are crucial.

Exercise/excess activity will cause fluid retention for healing muscles. This will level out somewhere between a few days to a few weeks.

Electrolyte balance including sodium and a less degree of magnesium and potassium - are critical to this process. generally 3500 mg - 5000 mg of sodium daily must be REPLACED due to the mechanism of a ketogenic diet causing stores to be dumped.

Keto is a long-game, not a short-game. Patience is critical. If you have not lose a single pound, inch, clothing size or had ANY non-scale victories (reduced medication, improved sleep, improved mobility, better brain function, more energy, reduced appetite, increased satiety, etc., and so on), then you might reevaluate.

Keto is NOT a one-size fits all dietary plan. It must be adjusted to your individual body, health, activity levels, age, and many other factors. Starting at 50 grams is a great starting point. It's very easy to bump up or down from there!

Remember, too, that there are a number of benefits from a ketogenic diet itself, BUT lowering carbs below 100 (even 150 if keeping all the carbs of quality or restricting specific types) is considered low carb medically, and that has many of the same benefits as a nutritional ketogenic diet, especially if you don't have significant hurdles in losing weight/gaining health progress.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Am adjusting to son's return home. This is a good thing! Yay!... but, one day I hope to be able to handle changes and stresses with more consistant self care.
    My current focus is on not giving in to what feels like co-dependant behaviors... on my part... as a worrywart mom.
    Selfcare, mindfulness, and incredible amounts of patience are what I'm in the market for this week.
    Wish me luck's pals... I think I need it!

Nice seeing you back around @elize7 !
  • RecipeScrapper
    RecipeScrapper Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hello Keto friends,

I have been MIA for most of December and January. Been working on a Facebook challenge with other Ketonians. Had a great time in the 60 day challenge and managed to lose some weight during the holidays, which was the point of the challenge. Challenge was with 1BigImpact on Facebook and YouTube. Am ready to get back to it with MFP friends once again and possibly do both. Rules are essentially the same just checking in on two platforms.
  • Koso2006
    Options
    Good Monday Morning Keto Buddies. What a weekend. Carbs on point, but calories a little high. Back to fasting today, wednesday, and Friday. Have to get this back under control. Getting my knees injected Wednesday. Hopefully this will help with the walking, especially the stairs at work.

Have a great day everyone!!!!
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    Not much activity here. I feel I'm losing focus, need to get back on track. Hope you are all doing better than that!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I wish!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I'm here checking in every day, joined a challenge. Keep on truckin' on, pals.
    Hoping Punxtawny Phil calls an early Spring tomorrow! Let it be early!!!
This discussion has been closed.