January 2018 Challenge

Options

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Just checked (cos I'm sad that way!) there are currently 48 of us logged into Nikki's spreadsheet!! <3o:)
  • adrnelane
    adrnelane Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan Keto...3 months now...lost 20 lbs... I do youtube cardio workouts and drink lots of water...with the 8 hour eating window and the 16 hour fast...today I did the 24 hour fast. :) feeling pretty good.
  • trillionblue
    trillionblue Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    01/08- 71.3 kgs (157.2 lbs)
    01/14- 69.5 kgs (153.2 lbs)
    01/21-68.7 kgs (151.5 lbs)
    01/28-68.5 kgs (151 lbs)

My weekends are starting to hold me back. Had some crisps last night which made me feel quite sick (that or the booze!). Need to watch the snacks while at friends and bring some more keto with me next time!

Total Jan lost: 2.8 kgs ( 6.2 lbs)
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    @trillionblue well done and don't forget to add it to the spread sheet! Nikki will no doubt be coming up with all sorts of statistics about about us like total weight lost and dare I say gained but only temporarily! o:)
  • chinatowninchina
    Options
    So I've put my weight in the spreadsheet and I'm actually down to 157.8 which is a loss of 3.6lbs this month so I'm really pleased, next month's challenge for me will be to keep this off while being in Italy for 10 days mmmmm????
  • NYPhotographer2021
    NYPhotographer2021 Posts: 506 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi all! I can't find any of my original posts to copy and paste! LOL! So here are my monthly stats that I have retype in...sigh! LOL!

Jan 01 - 195.4
    Jan 07 - 191
    Jan 14 - 190
    Jan 21 - 192.2
    Jan 28 - 188.8

In case no-one recognizes my name, I used to be Jigglypuff. My food database was out of control due to past foods that I no longer eat, and MFP won't allow us to delete the foods we no longer want in our database. So I made a new account and have retired Jigglypuff. Long may she wave! Or jiggle!
    ETA: This was a trying month for me. I've been all over the board between my Jan 1st starting weight to today. I could not lose for nothing! I'd go up and down. It was very frustrating for me because up to this month, I was losing fairly steadily. So I was very happy to see 188.8 on the scale! This is the lowest I've been in AGES! So I am extremely happy! I hope the rollercoaster I've been on this month has finally stopped. I don't need to see a big drop in weight every week, but I'd like to see some downward progress!
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    So I've put my weight in the spreadsheet and I'm actually down to 157.8 which is a loss of 3.6lbs this month so I'm really pleased, next month's challenge for me will be to keep this off while being in Italy for 10 days mmmmm????

You got this, China! And I'm very jealous! I've always wanted to go to Italy! Have fun! And remember: Vacation calories don't count! LOL!
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    squeeeyk wrote: »
    Newbie here. Just started keto 5 days ago though I've been on MFP off and on for about 2 years now. I should mention that I am eating at maintenance as I am breastfeeding and hoping that will be enough deficit without lowering my milk supply. Good luck everyone!

Weighing in. Doing well this week. Definitely making up for last week's debacle. Curious, I know it's best to not lost more than 1 to 2 lbs per week (i.e healthiest) but because I am considered morbidly obese, is it safe to say that I will lose quite a bit more per week? I mean, surely I'm done losing the initial water weight....but almost 4 lbs seems like it's still a lot of water weight.

SW 249.9
    GW 130.0
    12/31: 227.0
    1/7: 223.8
    1/14: 223.4
    1/21: 224.0
    1/28: 220.4

• shizzlebeef
    shizzlebeef Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Not bad for weight loss. I can see a difference in old pictures and in my clothes. I’m gonna keep it up until I hit my ultimate goal of 200 lbs. I’ll be going to japan in June so maybe I can hit my 220 lbs goal by then. I’ll be doing intermittent fasting weekdays (I’m a teacher and usually busy so it works). Let’s see what February brings!

SW: 256.5

01/06/18 - 256.5
    01/13/18 - 247
    01/20/18 - 244
    01/27/18 - 242
  • stormywxs288
    stormywxs288 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Weighing in this Sunday at 184.4 I achieved two milestones in my 2018 Keto experience. First, I exceeded my weekly goal of weighing in at less than 185. Second, I have lost more than 20 pounds so far in 2018. I’m still relatively new to keto (3 weeks) and still losing a lot of water. However, I’m pretty sure I am approaching a fully ketonic state as my weigh loss is slowing down each week.

Even more important, I feel great. My joints don’t ache, my memory is unlocked and I have more energy and focus than I’ve had in years. So far I can’t see a downside to this lifestyle. I know it is way early in this journey but I feel like this is something I can sustain.

It is hard to argue against success? I’ve lost 1.33 bowling balls of weight, I sleep better than my cat and I love eating fat.

4ItHm8.png

• TheDon2018
    TheDon2018 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not bad for weight loss. I can see a difference in old pictures and in my clothes. I’m gonna keep it up until I hit my ultimate goal of 200 lbs. I’ll be going to japan in June so maybe I can hit my 220 lbs goal by then. I’ll be doing intermittent fasting weekdays (I’m a teacher and usually busy so it works). Let’s see what February brings!

SW: 256.5

01/06/18 - 256.5
    01/13/18 - 247
    01/20/18 - 244
    01/27/18 - 242

Great job!! You definitely can hit the target it's realistic and if u keep at it in sure you can be confident you will hit the 220 lbs mark :smiley:
  • cbishop7777
    cbishop7777 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just weighed in and only reached 6 pounds of my 10-pound goal loss.... but the month isn't over! After going about 2 months without losing anything, I'm finally starting to see the scale drop. I started seriously with Intermittent Fasting 20/4 and I think that's what tipped the scales (har har!). Also, I think keeping meticulous track of food intake helped as well. The spreadsheet is great, although there is still a problem with the totals rows in that not all of them have the correct running totals. Some totals are people's starting weights. But it's nice to see the progress above those! Let's do February!!
  • cbishop7777
    cbishop7777 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    snowsaus wrote: »
    I am 5'9, started keto on 1/10
    1/10- 157.6
    1/17- 154.5
    1/22- 153
    GW- 135

Snowsaus, have you consulted a Dr. about your weight loss goal? That goal weight seems low for your height.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    jazzb9363 wrote: »
    Hi all! I can't find any of my original posts to copy and paste! LOL! So here are my monthly stats that I have retype in...sigh! LOL!

Jan 01 - 195.4
    Jan 07 - 191
    Jan 14 - 190
    Jan 21 - 192.2
    Jan 28 - 188.8

In case no-one recognizes my name, I used to be Jigglypuff. My food database was out of control due to past foods that I no longer eat, and MFP won't allow us to delete the foods we no longer want in our database. So I made a new account and have retired Jigglypuff. Long may she wave! Or jiggle!
    ETA: This was a trying month for me. I've been all over the board between my Jan 1st starting weight to today. I could not lose for nothing! I'd go up and down. It was very frustrating for me because up to this month, I was losing fairly steadily. So I was very happy to see 188.8 on the scale! This is the lowest I've been in AGES! So I am extremely happy! I hope the rollercoaster I've been on this month has finally stopped. I don't need to see a big drop in weight every week, but I'd like to see some downward progress!

I like the new name AND the new avatar. You may have read "my method" in the other forum but I have found it effective for keeping an accurate list of foods and for ease of tracking in my food diary. I'll post my method here for others who may want to try it. I sort of got the idea from Dr. Eric Westman (Duke Obesity Clinic) and his Page 4 of his keto diet plan and him constantly saying in his seminars (on-line youtube) "If it's not on Page 4, don't eat it".

I currently have a list of about 130 foods saved individually by the ounce, tablespoon or whatever measure is appropriate under My Meals. Yes it is not a meal but saving it under My Meals allows me to delete and add at my whim. I:

1) 1st find A CORRECT database entry.
    2) Enter it in my food diary by the single ounce, tablespoon, etc - by itself not with other foods or MFP will save the whole category as the meal
    3) Save the item as a meal. MFP asks me to then name my meal
    4) I eat a lot of fish so I save as Fish: cobia, Fish, tilefish, Fish Seabass, Fish Triggerfish, Fish Salmon, etc The reason I start the name with "fish" (to save as my meal) is it makes sense to me for ease of finding. All the fish come up together alphabetically under "My Menu" so it is easy to see if I already have it in my personal database. I've also done the same with Beef: Beef 80/20 ground, Beef chuck roast, Beef London broil, etc.
    5) After I save it by name, I just go back to my diary and delete but it remains in "My Meals by the ounce.
    6) I have my food diary set to "My Meals" and Alphabetical as the default so when I want to enter a food, my alphabetical list comes up.
    7) My Meals is the better place to save also because it allows for saving more than 1 "page". I think I'm currently up to 6 or 7 pages from Almonds through Zucchini.
    8) To complete my food diary, all I have to do is find the item under "My Meals" and enter the amount. It transfers to my diary not how I named it but rather how it was originally entered in the database but that's not a big deal to me.

With my system, I rarely have to go to the huge MFP database and scour the 50 gazillion entries to find the accurate representation of cauliflower or tuna or Dymatize protein powder, etc. I have it, it's accurate and it is in my "personal" My Meals database. When I decide to quit using protein powder (as an example), I can delete it to keep my list manageable.

I've been using MFP for close to 5 years. The items that come up under "frequent foods" or "recent foods" is really not all that user friendly to me or an accurate reflection of recent or frequent. MFP shows MCT Oil on one of those lists. I haven't used MCT Oil for over a year but apparently used it frequently enough when using it that MFP still thinks of it as frequent. Also I think there is a "cap" on both of those lists so things are going on the list and dropping off the list at MFP whim. That does not happen with "My Meals".

Hope this helps someone. I didn't do this all at once. I created a big list one day then gradually added things that I eat frequently. It has been a real time and stress saver. It helped me be more accurate and routine in completing my food diary when being accurate and routine was needed. :)

• NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The spreadsheet is great, although there is still a problem with the totals rows in that not all of them have the correct running totals. Some totals are people's starting weights. But it's nice to see the progress above those! Let's do February!!

I update the spreadsheet sometime between Sat night and Sunday morning usually, but last night I was at Ladies Night Out. Once the weight is entered for the current week, the total updates individually for that column. Until everyone enters their weight, the total for the group isn't accurate. The cells filled in grey are cells I carried over from the previous week because they were never updated. By the end of the month, whoever has not updated for several weeks will be pushed to the back of the spreadsheet and I won't include those in the following month.
  • NikkiJRM
    NikkiJRM Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I had a nice little week. I ran for the 1st time since I was a teenager. Actually I ran nearly every day. I might have overdone it. Then last night I was out dancing. I definitely need a rest day today. I knew I should have given myself a break, but once I had my running shoes on, I just felt I needed to move. I managed to not lose weight and even gain a few ounces, but considering I was out late last night eating (all keto + no drinks!) I'm not surprised. Actually, I wore a pair of leather pants I bought last month that didn't fit then, but fit perfectly now. Hmmmmm. I will have to take measurements this week and compare to Jan 1st. I will post my final January weight on the 31st.

December 31st 199.6
    January 7th 197.6
    January 14th 200.6
    January 21st 198
    January 28th 198.6
  • NYPhotographer2021
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Jan 01 - 195.4
    Jan 07 - 191
    Jan 14 - 190
    Jan 21 - 192.2
    Jan 28 - 188.8

I like the new name AND the new avatar. You may have read "my method" in the other forum but I have found it effective for keeping an accurate list of foods and for ease of tracking in my food diary. I'll post my method here for others who may want to try it. I sort of got the idea from Dr. Eric Westman (Duke Obesity Clinic) and his Page 4 of his keto diet plan and him constantly saying in his seminars (on-line youtube) "If it's not on Page 4, don't eat it".

I currently have a list of about 130 foods saved individually by the ounce, tablespoon or whatever measure is appropriate under My Meals. Yes it is not a meal but saving it under My Meals allows me to delete and add at my whim. I:

2) Enter it in my food diary by the single ounce, tablespoon, etc - by itself not with other foods or MFP will save the whole category as the meal
    4) I eat a lot of fish so I save as Fish: cobia, Fish, tilefish, Fish Seabass, Fish Triggerfish, Fish Salmon, etc The reason I start the name with "fish" (to save as my meal) is it makes sense to me for ease of finding. All the fish come up together alphabetically under "My Menu" so it is easy to see if I already have it in my personal database. I've also done the same with Beef: Beef 80/20 ground, Beef chuck roast, Beef London broil, etc.
    5) After I save it by name, I just go back to my diary and delete but it remains in "My Meals by the ounce.
    6) I have my food diary set to "My Meals" and Alphabetical as the default so when I want to enter a food, my alphabetical list comes up.
    7) My Meals is the better place to save also because it allows for saving more than 1 "page". I think I'm currently up to 6 or 7 pages from Almonds through Zucchini.
    8) To complete my food diary, all I have to do is find the item under "My Meals" and enter the amount. It transfers to my diary not how I named it but rather how it was originally entered in the database but that's not a big deal to me.

With my system, I rarely have to go to the huge MFP database and scour the 50 gazillion entries to find the accurate representation of cauliflower or tuna or Dymatize protein powder, etc. I have it, it's accurate and it is in my "personal" My Meals database. When I decide to quit using protein powder (as an example), I can delete it to keep my list manageable.

I've been using MFP for close to 5 years. The items that come up under "frequent foods" or "recent foods" is really not all that user friendly to me or an accurate reflection of recent or frequent. MFP shows MCT Oil on one of those lists. I haven't used MCT Oil for over a year but apparently used it frequently enough when using it that MFP still thinks of it as frequent. Also I think there is a "cap" on both of those lists so things are going on the list and dropping off the list at MFP whim. That does not happen with "My Meals".

Hope this helps someone. I didn't do this all at once. I created a big list one day then gradually added things that I eat frequently. It has been a real time and stress saver. It helped me be more accurate and routine in completing my food diary when being accurate and routine was needed. :)

This was very helpful! I will try that now, while my database is small still! I have been entering my own My Meals option and trying to enter it by 1 gram/1 ounce/etc. But I have been using MFP's data base for some of my foods because I was too lazy to do that! LOL! Thanks!
  • TheMerryMermaid
    TheMerryMermaid Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Hey! We'll be in Rome March 1! I'm hoping the walking we plan on doing will help to counteract all the cannolis I'm going to inhale.
    Best of luck to you with Keto in Italy. It might not be that hard- yes, there's a lot of pasta and vino, but think about all the olives, prosciutto, cheese and gorgeous veggies.
    Hoping you'll post about the food and adventure here on MFP!
  • TheMerryMermaid
    TheMerryMermaid Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    By the end of the month, whoever has not updated for several weeks will be pushed to the back of the spreadsheet and I won't include those in the following month. [/quote]
    Hi @NikkiJRM , Thanks again for this brilliant spreadsheet! Makes the challenge so easy to track.
    I'm not planning to post my last January weigh-in until 1/31. I started a week into January and usually don't weigh in on Sundays.
    I hope this doesn't jam up the group percentages!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Jan 01 - 195.4
    Jan 07 - 191
    Jan 14 - 190
    Jan 21 - 192.2
    Jan 28 - 188.8

This was very helpful! I will try that now, while my database is small still! I have been entering my own My Meals option and trying to enter it by 1 gram/1 ounce/etc. But I have been using MFP's data base for some of my foods because I was too lazy to do that! LOL! Thanks!

Cool. It is really simple to use on the app, once created. I'll type in "f-i" and every fish I have in my personal database pops up. I just have to scroll past that darn "Meal Collections" thing MFP promotes to see my fish collection. Just be reminded to set your default to My Meals if that is what you are using the most.