Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - My daughter and I hit Loft this weekend too! My daughter has lost so much weight her clothes don't fit so we went looking for slacks for her. She did find a pair of navy blue ones on sale and a couple of tops too.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - My daughter and I hit Loft this weekend too! My daughter has lost so much weight her clothes don't fit so we went looking for slacks for her. She did find a pair of navy blue ones on sale and a couple of tops too.

That's super! The navy pants and the weight loss!

I did get a pair of navy slacks but they are also dull red plaid. They are awesome.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I used to shop Banana Republic for my work pants but they all have gone dry clean only. I prefer ones I can wash at home.

I've been buying a lot at Old Navy but trying to stop that. I'm just lazy and like buying online and being able to return to the store. LOL
  • shanaber
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso - I bought several pairs of pants at Banana Republic thinking they were washable still and learned the hard way they were not. I love their pants because they came short enough I didn't have to have them hemmed. I get the ankle pants at Loft and they hit right at the top of my foot and are perfect :)
    @Elise4270 - pretty sure I have those Navy/Red (maroon) plaid pants too! I bought them for a business trip too!
  • shanaber
    Options
    What did you all do for Easter? I made my daughter a small Easter basket and she took the little bit of chocolate with her on the plane for a snack. I didn't really think about dinner tonight since we were so focused on her visit and she left before dinner. We ended up eating spinach salad (me) and leftover pizza! Now I think I need to fix a ham and make some split pea soup with the leftovers!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I like old Navy. I buy their jeans. I thought about checking then out for tops. I still may. I like banana republic, especially for men's clothing :love: .

I'm an online shopper too. As long as I know what size to get. Dress shoes apparently are sized different than running sneaks. I feel like I should have known this before approaching 50.

For Easter we went to dh's family... Long long day. But I love his aunt Pam!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love Banana Republic and LOFT. I haven't been to either since losing weight, but I might be job hunting soon, so will want a few nicer pieces. I've done really well at a consignment store near my house and have some really nice brand name things that I've paid almost nothing for.

My Easter went well, I ate normally through my afternoon snack and just enjoyed dinner at my in-laws. Considering the calories I had left for yesterday plus leftover exercise calories from Saturday, I probably netted out even calorie wise, or a little over. The food wasn't spectacular, honestly, so it was easy not to overeat. Had some real vanilla ice cream (instead of Halo Top) and that was probably the highlight of the day.

I have a great food plan for the week, so I'm pretty excited. Heading into the last two weeks of training before my big race, so feeling extra on point with diet.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

Hope you had a very happy Easter, if that's something you celebrate. We had our big meal on Saturday and knowing I had a big run on Sunday, I didn't worry about what I ate. I "cooked" the ham and my wife went crazy cooking an amazing meal. My run Sunday didn't start until 3pm so I didn't have much time to pig out afterwards. Trying to keep the runger in check today.

Easter Sunday means Lent is over, which means I'm no longer avoiding cereal. I admit, I did cheat a few times, but it was SOOOO much less than I normally would have. I also find that I don't crave cereal as much as I used to. I'm going to eat up what I have in the pantry and then not buy any more unless the kids request something. I think I have my cereal crave under control now.

I'm a big fan of Eddie Bauer for clothes. Well made, they come in tall sizes, and if you shop the sales, pretty good prices.

I need to look up the calories in bourbon. I've been really enjoying my bourbon lately and having a small glass nearly every night. I had been pretty good about limiting my beer drinking to run days...I may have to do that with bourbon too.
  • pinelakecutie
    pinelakecutie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I’m training for my first marathon (NYC in November) and posted a question about losing body fat and weight in the Low-carber forum that hasn’t received any feedback yet. I just found this group today and thought it might be better to post here.

My body fat (mid- to high-30s) and weight are too high for me run without pain and probably injury. I’ve done low-carb and IF multiple times and I know they work for fat/weight loss for me. I have ran/walked up to half-marathon distance, but I want to run NYC if possible. I’ve been sedentary for months, so I’m starting very slowly right now (couch to 10K program ), and have my 5k, 10K, and half-marathon scheduled through September. So, I have time to get fat adapted before I move into higher mileage and more intense training. But I’m worried that I won’t have enough energy to run the longer races this fall if I’m low carb. Calorie counting just doesn’t work for me, so I’d prefer to use a low-carb/IF protocol to lose the weight. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I’m training for my first marathon (NYC in November) and posted a question about losing body fat and weight in the Low-carber forum that hasn’t received any feedback yet. I just found this group today and thought it might be better to post here.

My body fat (mid- to high-30s) and weight are too high for me run without pain and probably injury. I’ve done low-carb and IF multiple times and I know they work for fat/weight loss for me. I have ran/walked up to half-marathon distance, but I want to run NYC if possible. I’ve been sedentary for months, so I’m starting very slowly right now (couch to 10K program ), and have my 5k, 10K, and half-marathon scheduled through September. So, I have time to get fat adapted before I move into higher mileage and more intense training. But I’m worried that I won’t have enough energy to run the longer races this fall if I’m low carb. Calorie counting just doesn’t work for me, so I’d prefer to use a low-carb/IF protocol to lose the weight. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

@pinelakecutie There is a poorly held secret among fat adapted athletes that many use carbs for high intensity runs, but only after becoming fat adapted. I think I might have mentioned Generation UCAN earlier - it is used by a lot of fat adapted athletes when carbs are needed for race pace, but avoids a big BG spike and resulting crash.

I would suggest becoming fat adapted first, then consider experimenting. I'm going to start experimenting next weekend, but I'm not a great example as a type 1 diabetic who has to manage BG very carefully and entirely manually. You are going to be better off since your body is capable of managing BG for you.
  • pinelakecutie
    Options
    Thanks. Very helpful. I was wondering about UCAN. It’s pricey, so I might try corn starch, which I read has a similar effect. I’ll work on getting the diet dialed in for now. I’ve been eating sugar and grains and drinking wine with abandon over the last few months. Hard habits to break.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @pinelakecutie

I'm in the same situation as you. I've just started a low carb diet. But I found this: https://magazine.nasm.org/american-fitness-magazine/issues/american-fitness-magazine-nov-dec-2015/a-low-carb-diet-for-athletes

I'm hoping to just be able to eat fruit, or sweet potatoes on days before a long run and be able to have the energy. On a calorie restricted diet, I just had a GU for my longer runs (not longer than 1.5 hours).

Keep in touch! I'd like to hear how your training goes.
  • pinelakecutie
    Options
    @Elise4270 Thanks for the article! I’m reading it now. I’m also researching UCAN. I’m considering purchasing a sample pack or a tub, but it’s an investment.

I’ll keep you posted. Please do the same. It’ll help with the accountability.
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @pinelakecutie uh sorry about the article, I thought I was on to something better...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I would not worry so much about that article. It fails to acknowledge the longer-term benefits of fat adaptation and it fails to consider the possibility of introducing carbs timed properly to avoid losing the adaptation while still being able to take advantage of carbs as fuel for those high-intensity runs.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @Elise4270 I would not worry so much about that article. It fails to acknowledge the longer-term benefits of fat adaptation and it fails to consider the possibility of introducing carbs timed properly to avoid losing the adaptation while still being able to take advantage of carbs as fuel for those high-intensity runs.

Agreed. It touches on it, but kind of backs off. And ends with "the body is an experiment of one, do what works". *Shrugs*.

What up with everyone else? Don't let us monopolize the thread and turn it into low carb, "do my diet" kind of thing?
    @7lenny7 I'm eyeing the grapes in the fridge, they'd be good in some cereal. I'm just to lazy to get on the bike. Or go swim to earn them.

Really my left piriformis (almost 2 year old surgery side) is unhappy, so I've backed off. But it feels like I'm being lazy.

I have done zero meal prep this week. Dh put a roast in the crock pot last night. Whole house smells like red onion. Yuck.

I'm in a funky mood. Not sure why. Hormones would be my guess, maybe diet? Dh offered to take me out to dinner last night, but it seemed we never got on the same page, I felt he wasn't sincere and declined. So I missed my bday dinner- just sulked all evening, my kids didn't even say "hi". My braces we're aggressively adjusted yesterday (that we're supposed to come off the end of the month, is now another 3), so I'm too sore to enjoy that ribeye I was gonna sneak off alone and enjoy.

Ugh just one of those moods. And I keep dreaming I'm still married to my 1st husband. Wtf universe. Least it's not sex dreams.

Ok... Time to suck it up. Maybe I can dance it out.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Ha @Elise4270 - Your dreams are likely better than mine... I dreamed I was pregnant! Not that it could ever happen again. So strange...

I hated having braces as an adult - I had them for years as a kid too and the 2nd time as an adult I swear they hurt so much worse! I think you should plan to go out for a ribeye (with your husband maybe) once your teeth feel better and celebrate that birthday! Happy Happy Birthday too!

I am enjoying a salad with chicken and strawberries for lunch. So good and really hit the spot. I was so excited the local strawberry place has berries again I bought a half flat. Unfortunately I have no idea what we will be having for dinner tonight. Guess I need to get better at planning, I have no excuse any longer not to have it all planned out and prepared.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    RE: Dreams. I had a weird one this weekend. My parents sent their dog to live with me. Which is weird because 1) a dog can't fly by itself and get itself a Lyft and 2) their dog has been dead for years.

RE: Diet. Well that is a day to day battle. I've been better at limiting candy & sweets to a serving. And I've been enjoying my vodka. I mix it with zero calorie drinks so at least there's that.

RE: Braces. Hated those. I had them on for like 7 years. I was told two. I was then told FOR SURE for your senior pictures. Then I was told before you start college and then I made them take them off at that point. I was so done with them.

Happy birthday @Elise4270 ! I always get really excited for my bday and xmas lead up and then depressed when it gets to be time for it. I dunno. I agree with @Shanaber go out and have that bday dinner when your mouth feels better.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I need to look up the calories in bourbon. I've been really enjoying my bourbon lately and having a small glass nearly every night. I had been pretty good about limiting my beer drinking to run days...I may have to do that with bourbon too.

I think bourbon is around 100 calories, single malt a bit less.

I quite often have a drink - cognac, whisky, digestif etc. at the end of an evening, or if I'm out for dinner with friends I might choose a cognac rather than dessert. It's a hell of a lot less calories and satisfies the urge for something sweet after a main meal.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    ha @Elise4270 sorry about your funky mood -I would 100% blame the braces. I had a set as a teenager, took out a load of teeth and then took the braces off too early so had to have another go. I had an overbite of around half an inch. Then they set me up as a fifteen year old with a frame going round my head, and moaned because I wouldn't wear it (I couldn't sleep) and the orthodontist pretty much ripped it out of my mouth in a huff. So now I have one tooth jutting out a bit at the front, and some gaps where they took teeth out, but no thankyou, I'll not do that again.

re: dreams - I had an amazing one the other night where I found a secret pride of lions in a local country estate walk. and a crocodile.