MAY 2018 CHALLENGE

Options

Replies

• lisaloumn2
    lisaloumn2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi - can i still join in? Starting week 4 of Keto and IF. lost 6 lbs first week, another 2 week 2, but then up 2 week 3 and have only trimmed one of those so far. A little frustrated but so far have not had one iota of bread, rice, grain, potato, etc. carb (although my daughter's wheat thins are staring at me). No sweets either other than one square of 85% dark chocolate. I have had some wine, but not as much as I was having previously.

4/19 starting weight: 189.6

May 1: 181.6
    Sunday 5/6: 182.6
    Sunday 5/13:
    Sunday 5/20:
    Sunday 5/27:
    Thursday 5/31:
    Personal Goal (weight) by Aug 24th: 160
  • stormywxs288
    stormywxs288 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Speaking for myself and I bet the rest of us – You Betcha can join us and Welcome! I think you’ll like this thread. You’ve stumbled upon a supportive, informative and diverse group of likeminded keto enthusiast who share our success and failure one month at a time. We have been renewing our thread each month and it appears to me we are on a growing trend.

There is also a companion spread sheet, maintained by NikkiJRM, that compiles our progresses over the month as well as the year to date. This should link you to it,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15_Wm6tiqUTRwP65I8gZWwWjWVtGgvYyj8p2gMaiWi48/edit#gid=0

Welcome. Looking forward to hearing more of your success stories.
  • pinkpanthers1995
    pinkpanthers1995 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Better late then never! Added myself to the spreadsheet and anxious to see how my progress goes!

May 6th 185.8
    May 13th
    May 20th
    May 27th
    May 30th

Current weight: 185.8
    Goal weight: 135
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I put a few lbs back on during my vacation. I'm not upset about it because I was very active and the things I ate were calculated decisions, but now I need to take care of it!
    I have been back home almost a week and I have found that some of my discipline has waned. My beach vacation looming was a pretty big motivator. Now vacation has come and gone! I'll have to look at my calendar and figure out what my next mental motivation will be.

I KNOW that my health and how I feel SHOULD BE motivation enough. (and when I talk to my kids, that is exactly what I communicate) But, if I'm brutally honest about what's going on inside my head, vanity and how I look is often a bigger motivator. And the fact that I would rather fit into an outfit I already own rather than needing to go buy a bigger one.

NSV: Through this process, way of life/eating, and the MFP community I've found, I'm working on getting healthier on the inside as well as the outside. I'm spending more time thinking things through to determine what's held me back before, along with figuring out why I default to destructive habits (overeating, not exercising, etc) and that has been very helpful. Making good habits my ACTUAL WAY OF LIFE rather than my "vacation or event prep" is huge for me.

May Goal: 8 lbs

Original Start Weight 153
    May 1 137
    May 6 135.8 (-1.2)
    May 13
    May 20
    May 27
    May 30

Goal Weight 115 (I'm 5'1")
  • KristinLeeD
    Options
    There are so many NSV since starting Keto 2 months ago. I think the most significant is the mental/emotional effect eliminating carbs has had on my life, I'm happier and more even. My husband seems more responsive to me and I believe eating a HFLC diet has smoothed over some rough edges in my disposition previously created by the spikes and falls of sugar and bread. I feel a sense of accomplishment, joy, and steadiness without the manic, gung-ho, and ultimately unsustainable rush I previously experienced when doing juice cleanses or trying to eat a raw food diet all in the hopes of losing weight. I grew up in the era of Anti-Fat. Eggs were the enemy and fat free foods such as bagels, pretzels, bran muffins, and rice were the smart food choices. Margarine was the answer to butter, salt was to be avoided, and artificial chemical sweeteners came in all colors that may or may not cause cancer. There was a little deprogramming I had to go through in the beginning of this Keto adventure, but not much. I knew bread, pasta, and rice were causing problems. My friends initially asked, "How long are you doing this for?" After 2 weeks of Keto my response was an easy, "Forever."

@NikkiJRM The best NSV I can think of!!!

Highest - 195'ish
    2/28 - 183.5

Tues. May 1st - 166.8
    Sunday May 6th - 167.2
    Sunday May 13th
    Sunday May 20th
    Sunday May 27th
    Wed. May 30th

I grew up in the anti-fat era as well. I would never touch an avocado because I believe there is no such thing as a 'good fat'! There was much reprogramming had to take place in me as well. This is not a 'phase' for me either - I want to do this forever!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I put a few lbs back on during my vacation. I'm not upset about it because I was very active and the things I ate were calculated decisions, but now I need to take care of it!
    I have been back home almost a week and I have found that some of my discipline has waned. My beach vacation looming was a pretty big motivator. Now vacation has come and gone! I'll have to look at my calendar and figure out what my next mental motivation will be.

I KNOW that my health and how I feel SHOULD BE motivation enough. (and when I talk to my kids, that is exactly what I communicate) But, if I'm brutally honest about what's going on inside my head, vanity and how I look is often a bigger motivator. And the fact that I would rather fit into an outfit I already own rather than needing to go buy a bigger one.

NSV: Through this process, way of life/eating, and the MFP community I've found, I'm working on getting healthier on the inside as well as the outside. I'm spending more time thinking things through to determine what's held me back before, along with figuring out why I default to destructive habits (overeating, not exercising, etc) and that has been very helpful. Making good habits my ACTUAL WAY OF LIFE rather than my "vacation or event prep" is huge for me.

May Goal: 8 lbs

Original Start Weight 153
    May 1 137
    May 6 135.8 (-1.2)
    May 13
    May 20
    May 27
    May 30

Goal Weight 115 (I'm 5'1")

@KristinLeeD

Don't worry about what SHOULD motivate you. Use the motivation that works. If vanity works for you, and you know you won't pursue vanity OVER health, as in that you won't aim for vanity achievements while compromising your health, I'd say you're golden.

If you know what works, don't put yourself down over it. Use that as the fuel for your focus, hon. Don't sweat it at all. Being honest with yourself is far more important than what society says you should be!! (hugs)
  • mznik114
    mznik114 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    joanie152 wrote: »
    Just started Keto and happy to have found a group.
    CW271
    GW212

May 1st 271
    May 6th 269
    May 13th
    May 20th
    May 27
    May 31

Welcome Joanie!
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    NikkiJRM wrote: »
    If you've read my posts, you know I like to put my thoughts on this journey out there. My life is always filled with introspection. I had plans this week. Good solid plans that usually yield good solid results. Then hormones happened. I am OFF my plan for this week. At first I thought, "ok I messed up the week, whatever let me eat the cheese puffs!" (and I did and they were AHMAZING! but that's not the point). I think it's easier for me to not deviate too far and throw it all out the window when I am flexible and leave myself room for the random crap life throws my way. For me this week, that meant eating pulled pork (and lots of it) instead of plain tuna, and fun little bowls of nuts with coconut flakes.

What happens ultimately is that I will still lose the fat, it just won't be at the rate I was planning, trying, hoping for.

Big deal! Yeah I was upset in January when the month I lost 1 whole lb, but now in May I don't even really care what happened in January. The only thing that matters is that I didn't quit. Eventually, this week isn't going to matter beyond it being a data point.

I plan to eat whatever I fancy for the rest of the week (all keto of course). I'm not even weighing myself because I can't be bothered.

I guess my NSV is that I haven't eaten all the chocolate in the house even though I can and want to. For this week in May 2018, this is as good as it's going to get.

and all you need to do is check back on those photographs!! Keep on in there, oh you are!!!!!! <3
  • KristinLeeD
    Options
    "Don't worry about what SHOULD motivate you. Use the motivation that works. If vanity works for you, and you know you won't pursue vanity OVER health, as in that you won't aim for vanity achievements while compromising your health, I'd say you're golden.

If you know what works, don't put yourself down over it. Use that as the fuel for your focus, hon. Don't sweat it at all. Being honest with yourself is far more important than what society says you should be!! (hugs)"

@KnitOrMiss

Thank you for these words! In my younger years I was often pursuing vanity over health - now that I am pushing 50, I believe I've grown out most of that! (some because I am wiser, and some by default because the things that worked in my 20's and 30's don't work for me now!)

I like the point you made of using what works for ME as fuel for my focus.
    I know you have a lot going on, so thanks for taking the time to speak into my journey!
  • KristinLeeD
    Options
    If you've read my posts, you know I like to put my thoughts on this journey out there. My life is always filled with introspection. I had plans this week. Good solid plans that usually yield good solid results. Then hormones happened. I am OFF my plan for this week. At first I thought, "ok I messed up the week, whatever let me eat the cheese puffs!" (and I did and they were AHMAZING! but that's not the point). I think it's easier for me to not deviate too far and throw it all out the window when I am flexible and leave myself room for the random crap life throws my way. For me this week, that meant eating pulled pork (and lots of it) instead of plain tuna, and fun little bowls of nuts with coconut flakes.

What happens ultimately is that I will still lose the fat, it just won't be at the rate I was planning, trying, hoping for.

Big deal! Yeah I was upset in January when the month I lost 1 whole lb, but now in May I don't even really care what happened in January. The only thing that matters is that I didn't quit. Eventually, this week isn't going to matter beyond it being a data point.

I plan to eat whatever I fancy for the rest of the week (all keto of course). I'm not even weighing myself because I can't be bothered.

I guess my NSV is that I haven't eaten all the chocolate in the house even though I can and want to. For this week in May 2018, this is as good as it's going to get.

@NikkiJRM

"The only thing that matters is that I didn't quit."

YES! Thank you!
  • xDaniDragonflyx
    xDaniDragonflyx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    @NikkiJRM I love reading your posts, you truly are an inspiration as you see from many of us.

Sometimes being keto is hard! Not because I have awful cravings, or because I'm plateauing. There's just no real way to be lazy! :lol: It is so much easier for me to go home and eat a bag of pork rinds after work because I am too burnt out to actually cook myself something, or because I didn't have the time/energy to cook myself something before work to eat when I got home at the end of the night. And then I feel so guilty for eating 10 SERVINGS of pork rinds in one sitting, and vow never to buy any more, then I go to the store and buy 2 more bags. :sweat_smile:

But as I've been reminded, I need to stop watching the scale and thinking that the number I see is the determining factor in whether or not I am healthy, successful, or beautiful! It's not easy, but I am trying.

I love that my clothes don't fit me anymore! That I have to wear a belt with most of my jeans. That I have so much energy, I look forward to my half hour (or more!) walk every day and try to push myself just a little harder every time I'm walking. I need to remember these things as I see the scale go up .6 lb one week. >_< And forget that .6 lb does not define me.
  • shizzlebeef
    shizzlebeef Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    SW 256.5 1/06/2018

5/06/2018 216
    5/13/2018
    5/20/2018
    5/27/2018

I’m late. Target weight for end of May is 205-210. Original goal was 200 lbs. But if I do manage to hit it that’d be awesome. If not, by June 11th I want to weigh in at 200. Already met my first goal of 220. Next is 200. After that 180. Then I’ll bulk up to 200 and prob stay around there. We shall see!
  • mznik114
    Options
    SW 256.5 1/06/2018

5/06/2018 - 216 lbs
    5/12/2018 - 210 lbs

I redid my macros. I stayed under the calories. I ate till I was full and not to eat whatever calories I had left. I was stuck around 218 lbs for a long time. Wednesday I was at 214. Then I weighed myself today and I’m at 210. Its rather bonkers how much of a change can happen in a week (I’m sure some of that was water weight). I was thinking about how the scale wasn’t moving before, but I had to make another hole in my belt during that time. Shorts I bought in February that I’m barely wearing now are way too big. My shirts are becoming looser and looser. Some I don’t wear to work cause they are just too big. It’s been a huge learning experience since starting keto in January. And I guess I shouldn’t worry too much if the weight isn’t going down as rapid as I’d like.

You are doing amazinggggg!! Great work!
  • mznik114
    Options

What happens ultimately is that I will still lose the fat, it just won't be at the rate I was planning, trying, hoping fo

Aaahhhh....soooo inspiring! Thanks Nikki...I needed this, you have a great attitude about all of this weight loss stuff! Love it!
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    May 1st: 173.1
    May 6th: 174.4
    May 13th: 176.8
    May 20th:
    May 27th:
    May 30th:
  • katrados
    katrados Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, this week I went a bit up and this morning a bit down. I think I hit some kind of plateau.

Starting weight 145.5
    Goal weight 136.6

May 1st - 143.3
    May 6th - 140.6
    May 13th - 140.2
    May 20th
    May 27th
    May 30th