Options

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    KatieWW wrote: »
    Do antibiotics make you gain weight?

Hi team, well I dropped the ball. For the first time in 9 months I just stopped logging. I know I'm not alone with this, but my lifestyle is just not conducive to weight loss right now. And I'm going to have a bit of a whinge. After a strong finish to last month, I didn't change anything. I just carried on into this month with the same patterns, same exercise and calorie intake.. And put a lb back on. It just broke my spirit a bit. Nevermind I thought, stay the course.. Nope.. up again in week 2.. Then I just cracked it and my resolve really bottomed out. I stopped logging, I stopped being disciplined and just got on with busy life.

It's not all bad, I have NSV's for days... The belt came in another inch and I'm putting on piles of muscle all round in response to more work. I've steadied my eating. And I'm wearing things I haven't fit in for years. In fact the only problem is I'm just not losing weight lol. Which kinda sux when you're in a weight loss competition in a team etc..

Anyway, I'm sad I missed weigh in for week 3. Will try to right my ship and get back on course.

Don't beat yourself up, it happens. I mean hell, I haven't lost more than like a pound in the last two months - just keep fluctuating up and down. I'm sure I'm a huge burden on the overall team percentage. Sounds like you've got some solid NSVs. It's not always about the scale.

AB0215 wrote: »
    I think a lot of us are in your boat this week. I've been tracking half *ssed this week myself and that's starting to show up on the scale and I need to get it under control and I vowed that today was that day, but I just realized I'm headed to my parents house today for Father's Day and burgers and Chicken kabobs are going to be hard not to eat too many of...so tomorrow might be my hard reset day, today a soft reset.

yeah, ummm I've been in that boat all month :#

It would seem this week we had a lot of motivational related struggles and I blame myself, I wasn't around much for you guys and for that I'm sorry. I'm back on track, I think, and I getting my act together this week. Let's rally and get back on it for the last 2 weeks of June

You can't blame yourself. Yes, you are a phenomenal leader and cheerleader, but ultimately it's up to each of us to do what we need to do.
    You're allowed to slack every once in a while :)

Great job to our top 3:
    1st - @IanMoone30. - 1.82%
    2nd - @tinak33. - 1.59%
    3rd - @ka97. - 1.18%

And in total honesty, all I really lost was that TOM weight.

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    KatieWW wrote: »
    Do antibiotics make you gain weight?

@KatieWW. The antibiotics themselves are unlikely to make you gain weight. Side effects "can" make you gain weight (some antibiotics can cause water retention). The underlying infection (and the body's holistic response to the infection - such as rest and appetite modification) can make you gain weight.

An antibiotic is designed to attack infection and boost the bodies capability to fight the infection. In doing so, it can interrupt the digestive system. This can change how the body processes food (which is why alcohol and antibiotics are a bad combination).

Antibiotics often help simple sugars get into the blood quicker (from changing the digesting flora) and thereby spike insulin which will try immediately use or store the energy (body energy storage is liver glycogen or fat). However, easy-come / easy-go. The increase use of energy will also drop the insulin quicker and the system will reverse to producing glucagon to use glycogen and free fat (if you do not eat more before this switch over occurs). However, low blood sugar in a healthy person also produces a "hunger" reaction (ghrelin spike) so the temptation to snack or over-eat becomes stronger.

It is MORE important to track and stay in calorie budget when on antibiotics. The normal "feeling" safeguards are often relaxed. It's great self-defence mechanism in a normal person (more fuel to fight infection), but in out society of plenty it can work against you.

Sorry for a complex answer to a simple question.

Hope this sheds some more light on the subject.
  • ka97
    Options
    Daily Post - Sunday
    Ropes course this morning :) Then a father's day cookout. I didn't log a thing, or even think about calories.

It was a busy weekend between yesterday's long run and this morning's ropes course. I'm going to bring my swim bag to work tomorrow, but I know there's the possibility it could be full of children (technically it's open swim hours), and I'm not going to stress about it. I've decided to plan a light/easy week this week. It's the last week of school, so I'm going to be busy and stressed about that, and it's going to be wicked hot. I figure if I just plan on a light week, take it one day at a time, then I won't make things worse by stressing about workouts. I can turn up the intensity next week. My one priority will be to get in my lifting. Otherwise, if I get to the pool - great. If I can get up to run in the morning - even better.
  • IanMoone30
    IanMoone30 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The only down side to dieting is that I am extremely picky when I eat. The things I mostly like are of course are bad for me. So I back slide to much. I know I won’t make my goal weight for tomorrow but at least I’m closer to my goal than I have been previously.
    My NSV was cleaning out my closet and found a pile of jean and short that didn’t fit after my regain. And they fit again. Still gave away half of them but was really happy.
    I will reach my goal by the end of the year
    Track yes
    Calories just under
    Carbs over 100
    Exercise yes
  • mexiconona
    mexiconona Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    June 16 th Mexiconona
    Tracking yes
    Calories no
    Exercise no
    Carbs over
    Weight 151.8.
  • mexiconona
    Options
    The above is June 17 th not 16 th! Mexiconona
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Daily Post for Saturday
    Tracked? Yes
    Calories? Yes
    Exercise? Rest Day
    Carbs? Under
    Water? 10 cups

Daily Post for Sunday
    Tracked? Yes
    Calories? Yes
    Exercise? 12500 steps
    Carbs? Under
    Water? 10 cups

WEIGH IN WEEK 3
    last week: 214.0
    this week: 214.0

Okay guys, I think I'm back on the wagon. I just completed a 45 hour fast, and am back to logging/tracking, measuring portions, and counting steps. Phew - that was a doozy... I didn't track for two weeks and ate in restaurants way too much!! Glad it's over... looking forward to seeing the scale move again, as it has been frozen in place for three weeks. (At least it didn't creep up!)

I see some of you struggling along with me. Let's pull up the bootstraps...and hang on tight!!
    Maybe there is something astrological going on, if so many of us are feeling tested, or apathetic, or unmotivated. We just gotta hang tight til the next wave of FEELING PUMPED hits!!

Roxy
  • AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    Options
    IanMoone30 wrote: »
    My NSV was cleaning out my closet and found a pile of jean and short that didn’t fit after my regain. And they fit again. Still gave away half of them but was really happy.
    I will reach my goal by the end of the year
    @IanMoone30 Congrats!! What a great NSV!!
  • AB0215
    Options
    gemwolf110 wrote: »
    Sunday is my generally my rest day. However my fiancé did get some cleaning done to start the week off. I do need to sit down and re-evaluate my goals and my game plan. Get my motivation for getting healthy and losing weight a restart. I think a mixture of stress, hectic schedule and anxiety kinda is temporarily derailing me and I need to get myself back on he right course of action. I’m making a plan of working out every day this week, trying to get out on time so I can make my workouts and spread out my house cleaning so it doesn’t get overwhelming. I don’t have any planned vacations or work travel coming up and want to be under 200 for my vacation in August so I have 2 straight months to get my butt back in gear.
    @gemwolf110 You will get there, you just need to take it one day at a time, one step at a time. Sit down and take a bit of time for yourself, it's not selfish, it's necessary. Think about your goals, how you will get there and make a plan! You got this!
  • AB0215
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »
    Daily Post - Sunday
    Ropes course this morning :) Then a father's day cookout. I didn't log a thing, or even think about calories.

It was a busy weekend between yesterday's long run and this morning's ropes course. I'm going to bring my swim bag to work tomorrow, but I know there's the possibility it could be full of children (technically it's open swim hours), and I'm not going to stress about it. I've decided to plan a light/easy week this week. It's the last week of school, so I'm going to be busy and stressed about that, and it's going to be wicked hot. I figure if I just plan on a light week, take it one day at a time, then I won't make things worse by stressing about workouts. I can turn up the intensity next week. My one priority will be to get in my lifting. Otherwise, if I get to the pool - great. If I can get up to run in the morning - even better.
    @ka97 Great plan, taking your swim bag to work is a great idea, you're already prepared and more likely to stick to your plan!! I think it's important to try and minimize stress, especially when it comes to workouts and things of that nature. You want to enjoy them, not stress out about them, otherwise, you're going to not want to do them. Taking things one day at a time is usually the best approach. Don't stress, don't think too long and hard about the future, think about the present and one day you will be at your goal :smile:

It's wicked hot here, went swimming at my parents today and the water was warm too...like borderline hot for pool water...just saying.
  • Keri8680
    Keri8680 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Daily post for Sunday
    Track- yes
    Calories- perfect
    Carbs- over but not sure why the berry salad from wendys is 36 carbs?? I mixed up my own oil n vinegar dressing and it only had lettuce, very small package of almond slices, some feta, and pronably 10 blueberries and 1 sliced strawberry! So I think my carb manager tracking app is off!
    Exercise- not really
    Water- yes! Very hot today, filled my giant cup twice (40oz) each time!
  • jennfalzon1979
    jennfalzon1979 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Weekly weigh in.

Pw. 177.1
    CW. 177
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Fyreside wrote: »
    Hi team, well I dropped the ball. For the first time in 9 months I just stopped logging. I know I'm not alone with this, but my lifestyle is just not conducive to weight loss right now. And I'm going to have a bit of a whinge. After a strong finish to last month, I didn't change anything. I just carried on into this month with the same patterns, same exercise and calorie intake.. And put a lb back on. It just broke my spirit a bit. Nevermind I thought, stay the course.. Nope.. up again in week 2.. Then I just cracked it and my resolve really bottomed out. I stopped logging, I stopped being disciplined and just got on with busy life.

It's not all bad, I have NSV's for days... The belt came in another inch and I'm putting on piles of muscle all round in response to more work. I've steadied my eating. And I'm wearing things I haven't fit in for years. In fact the only problem is I'm just not losing weight lol. Which kinda sux when you're in a weight loss competition in a team etc..

Anyway, I'm sad I missed weigh in for week 3. Will try to right my ship and get back on course.

@Fyreside you are a rockstar.
    You may not be losing weight, but you are losing inches and packing on muscle. You are becoming more "condensed". You are getting healthier and stronger which is amazing!

Don't beat yourself up over the scale number. There are other numbers that are moving in the right direction that are just as important! <3
    The results are there. B) You got this.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Username: lorib642
    Week: June Week 4
    PW = 172.6
    CW = 173.8
  • IanMoone30
    IanMoone30 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Track yes
    Calories under
    Carbs over
    Exercise nope
  • ka97
    Options
    @ka97 Great plan, taking your swim bag to work is a great idea, you're already prepared and more likely to stick to your plan!! I think it's important to try and minimize stress, especially when it comes to workouts and things of that nature. You want to enjoy them, not stress out about them, otherwise, you're going to not want to do them. Taking things one day at a time is usually the best approach. Don't stress, don't think too long and hard about the future, think about the present and one day you will be at your goal :smile:

It's wicked hot here, went swimming at my parents today and the water was warm too...like borderline hot for pool water...just saying.

I generally like to plan out my workouts for the week - I like feeling organized, it keeps me on track, and it makes it easier to balance the running with the lifting. But......every once in a while I think it's good to just wing-it. One of my gym's has an indoor pool, so no issues with the heat - just kids. Though they do close if there is thunder and lightning.

Doesn't matter today though, because I skipped the workout. After a long day in a hot classroom, I was wiped. I have both gym and swim bag packed for tomorrow. But honestly, it may just end up being a week off.

• KT4everFree
    KT4everFree Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Track- yes
    Calories- under
    Water- over 100 oz
    Exercise- no
  • Keri8680
    Keri8680 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Daily post for Monday
    Track- yes
    Calories- perfect
    Carbs- way under my limit!
    Exercise- no
    Water- ehh could’ve been more especially with this awful heat!
    I am almost in the 180s- once I reach 185 i will be my pre-pregnancy weight again and my daughter just turned 4!
  • AB0215
    Options
    Daily Post (Monday)

Goals: Started out today with the mindset of trying a 24 hour fast. That lasted 12 hours before I got hangry. I did finally manage to stay within my calorie goal, for the first time in what seems like weeks..so not a total loss.

Track: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Exercise: No
    Water Intake: 99 oz
  • mexiconona
    Options
    Mexiconona June 18
    Track yes
    Calories yes
    Exercise no
    Carbs over