Who is racing this weekend?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 it was good in that I took 2 minutes off my 5k PB!! but it was really busy - Apparently it's not normally that well attended - and the path is quite narrow so the first mile was really congested.

I caught up to the husband though after half a mile and we ran together as he was 'taking it easy' after not running for 2 months! so he paced me round and tra da, PB.

I won't be a regular attendee though I don't think.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I've missed posting some races here. Tomorrow is Freezeroo #4, Hearnish 5-ish mile. It's a tribute to a guy named Hearne who laid out routes that were more or less the stated distance, but never precisely accurate. The current version is about 4.9 miles.

Forecast is for temp around 14° F (-10° C) at gun time, with 9 mph WSW wind. There is supposed to be light snow before the race starts, but ending by gun time. Classic Freezeroo weather for a fun, low-key race.
  • robinmork
    robinmork Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Saturday Feb 2 is my first race EVER- the Frozen Penguin 10K in NYC!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    robinmork wrote: »
    Saturday Feb 2 is my first race EVER- the Frozen Penguin 10K in NYC!

AWESOME!!!

Good luck and have fun.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    USATF Cross Country Championship, Masters 8K, on Saturday February 2 at Apalachee State Park, Florida. It's supposed to be single digit °F when I fly out on Thursday, but at least I won't have to worry about snow on the other end.

The field will be tough. I expect to finish in the middle of my age group. There is a chance that my team could make the podium for the 60-69 age group.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    15k this weekend to benefit the Atlanta Humane Society. Running but not racing. Let's let this be the kick-off back into weekend long runs and real training!
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Freezeroo #5 on Saturday, the Tom Brannon Memorial 8 mile race. Forecast for gun time is 24 mph wind and 18° F. Low key, I don't have to run this one hard. Running it at half marathon pace will likely be good enough to win my age group.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've got a 10K Sunday.

We got snow today, and it's going to be -10C or so. Not going to be my PB for 2019 for sure :) Just not sure if I need to run in trax or not (will take them and decide then).

• Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    99clmsntgr wrote: »
    15k this weekend to benefit the Atlanta Humane Society. Running but not racing. Let's let this be the kick-off back into weekend long runs and real training!

I did the 5k at this event... Are you doing the Hot Chocolate 15k this coming weekend? I will be in that very last group to cross :D:D:D
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I have a little local charity 3k on Sunday, the first in a series of 3 (followed by 5k in March and 7k in April). This will be my return to racing after post-half marathon injury and I'm looking forward to it so much it's sad! :-D
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Beka3695 wrote: »
    99clmsntgr wrote: »

I did the 5k at this event... Are you doing the Hot Chocolate 15k this coming weekend? I will be in that very last group to cross :D:D:D

Not planning on the Hot Chocolate - too much kid stuff going on!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    Not fast, but not last!!!
    p06dutce5ezf.jpeg
    idz7z9ghr329.jpeg
    auxbjvgl0kl3.jpeg
    wav0j1zod49h.png
    plp6o93fyovt.jpeg
    x0wcap8v91ty.jpeg
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Final race of the Freezeroo Series on Saturday, the 4.4 mile White House Challenge. No pressure, I've clinched my age group for the series. It's just pride that makes me want to win the age group in this one for a 6-race sweep, no additional bling for doing so.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    I've got a half Saturday, but I'm treating it as a long run and not racing. I expect to be over 2 1/2 hours as I've not prepped enough to actually push it (I still blame the snow). Did the route last Sunday and ran 8 min/km.

But I get a free 1.5L hydration pack apparently.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    I've got a half Saturday, but I'm treating it as a long run and not racing. I expect to be over 2 1/2 hours as I've not prepped enough to actually push it (I still blame the snow). Did the route last Sunday and ran 8 min/km.

But I get a free 1.5L hydration pack apparently.

Just got an email regarding the run.

"AND CONDITIONS ARE CURRENTLY FRESH SNOW ON COMPACT TRAIL. * USE THE RUN AS A TRAINING RUN, AT A SLOWER PACE RATHER THAN TRYING TO RUN YOUR BEST TIME. * TRAIL SHOES AND OR TRACTION AIDS, YAK TRACS, ETC WILL HELP TO PREVENT SLIPPING IN SOME PLACES. * RUN OR WALK SLOWER WITH SHORTER STRIDES THAN NORMAL TO MAINTAIN BALANCE IN THE SNOW. * STAY UPRIGHT AND SMILE WHILE ENJOYING THE EXPERIENCE OF RUNNING/WALKING IN THE SNOW. * IF YOU ARE INJURED IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO ATTEMPT THE HALF MARATHON DISTANCE. * DUE TO THE CONDITIONS, YOU CAN ALWAYS SWITCH FROM THE HALF MARATHON TO EITHER THE 5K OR 10K IF YOU ARE CONCERNED."

Did 5K on the route last nigh without my spikes and regretted not using them. Definitely will be wearing them tomorrow.

And it's a decent hydration pack :)
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Saturday March 16: USATF Masters 8K at the Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach
    Sunday March 17: Shamrock Half Marathon, Virginia Beach

I don't know whether this qualifies for an extra medal as a Dolphin Challenge, because my club registered me for the 8K and I registered myself for the half. But the important thing is to test how I do with a long race the day after a short, hard race. I hope to learn something about how hard I can afford to run the BAA 5K two days before the Boston Marathon.
  • dewd2
    Options
    Running Lucky Charm 5K on Saturday. This was originally planned to be a PR attempt but I'm not sure now. With the predicted wind and the fact that I've had my *kitten* kicked by the flu for the past 5 days I may not have a PR attempt in me. But that doesn't mean I won't try. ;)
  • dewd2
    Options
    Running Lucky Charm 5K on Saturday. This was originally planned to be a PR attempt but I'm not sure now. With the predicted wind and the fact that I've had my *kitten* kicked by the flu for the past 5 days I may not have a PR attempt in me. But that doesn't mean I won't try. ;)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    50 mile starting at 0001 on Saturday, unless the 24 inches of snow shuts down the course
  • docsallen
    docsallen Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    DE Coastal marathon. Finally here!