TEAM: The Slimsons (July)

Options

Replies

• OkieGina
    OkieGina Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's been an odd week for me. I took Wednesday off work so I could take both my kids to the dentist - appointment was in the middle of the day, so it just didn't make sense for me to try to work at all. Both kids did surprisingly good! But...

Because I was going to be off Wednesday, I had to work late on Tuesday (I guess i didn't have to, but I wanted to get things in order before I left) - so i missed Tuesday's workout. I didn't work out Wednesday because I couldn't make it to the gym with the dental appointments. I also ended up not tracking at all Wednesday (oops). Got back to tracking yesterday, but was so swamped at work I couldn't get on here at all. I did manage a workout yesterday, but it sucked.

I'll be honest, Wednesday and even yesterday I was kinda ready to throw in the towel. Not with nutrition or working out, but with tracking and, to an extent, with the groups. I think part of it was information overload. Another group I'm a member of (a non-MFP group more focused on working out) is on a big "throw out your scale" kick right now. Which I totally get. My worth is not based on the number on a scale or the size of my jeans. And when I was younger, I could lose weight without tracking. A good workout schedule and eating healthy most of the time was enough to do it. But now, due to age or stress or lack of sleep or whatever, that's not enough. I need to be more mindful of what and (primarily) how much I eat. I need to be conscious of how I fuel my body (heck, if I wasn't tracking, I wouldn't have figured out that yesterday's workout sucked because I somehow managed to make it to 5 pm with only about 25 grams of protein...ooops...). And I need to keep an eye on the scale because this is about more than just vanity. I need to lose weight to be healthier, to make me (physically) feel better, to be able to run and play with my kids more, the list just goes on and on. And, if I'm not paying attention to the scale, I'll get too lax and the weight will creep right back on. It's happened enough times before. And I know that my worth isn't based on that number on the scale, But as long as I don't let it discourage me (there will be fluctuations, I'm not at a point in my life where I can work out for hours on end, I'm not going to lose 3 lbs every week, etc.), it is a fairly easy way to track my progress and make sure I'm not veering off the path. (I do also take measurements periodically and I pay attention to how my clothes fit, so it's not the only tracking mechanism I use.)

So, I think we all just have to figure out what works for us where we are in our lives right now. Their method of throwing out the scale may work for them, but it's not for me. Maybe, one day, I won't have to track my food, but that's not where I am in my life right now. I'm also not at a point where I'm going to stress myself out over not tracking for a day or 2 or even estimated my portion sizes some of the time (i.e., 3 oz of broccoli vs. 1/2 cup of broccoli or something). And strict paleo or keto or low fat just aren't for me (I've tried them all) - but they are amazing for some people. And I don't have time to work out for a few hours every day, or even an hour every day. But I can average 3-4 workouts each week (some weeks only get 2, some might get 5 or 6), which is what works for me right now. I'm figuring out what works for me where I'm at right now, and I have to quit comparing myself to people who are at a different place in their lives or who have found something different that works for them. Heck, I shouldn't even compare myself to the me of 10 years ago - my life was completely different then!

Ok, wow, sorry, rant over. That was really just supposed to be the first 2 paragraphs and a little bit about how I've been frustrated the last few days. But man, once I started typing, i figured out why I was frustrated and why I shouldn't be! And I had to share. ;)
  • lsjhudson
    lsjhudson Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    💥Daily Post: Friday, 12th July 💥

✅Track: yes
    ✅Calories: under
    ☑️Exercise: not today

Comments: man Oh man I'm hungry today. Probably didn't balance my macros well enough. I'm going to bed early so I'm not awake thinking about it too much! I've done a face to face picture between when I started and now, and the difference is visible so I want to keep going..it's good motivation!

0i2a611magdi.jpeg
  • lsjhudson
    lsjhudson Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Ps @AB0215 how do you hide images/videos like you do in your post? X
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    🌟Daily Post: Friday, 12 July

Track: Yes
    Calories: Over by 160’ish 😬
    Exercise: Just some walking today, nothing to shout about 😝

@lsjhudson Great progress pic, I can definitely see a difference there! You’ve been doing great Laura. It’s nice when you start to actually see a difference rather than just the numbers going down on the scale 🙌🏻💪💕

• AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    lsjhudson wrote: »
    Ps @AB0215 how do you hide images/videos like you do in your post? X

@lsjhudson
    text here
    If you click "quote" it will shoe you what I type to get that in there.

and fyi, that pretty much works for everything, if you ever want to see how someone did something, like add colors, etc.
  • vicky2767
    vicky2767 Posts: 2,472 Member
    Options
    @genajonas it will get better. Hang in there.
  • AB0215
    Options
    OkieGina wrote: »
    It's been an odd week for me. I took Wednesday off work so I could take both my kids to the dentist - appointment was in the middle of the day, so it just didn't make sense for me to try to work at all. Both kids did surprisingly good! But...

Because I was going to be off Wednesday, I had to work late on Tuesday (I guess i didn't have to, but I wanted to get things in order before I left) - so i missed Tuesday's workout. I didn't work out Wednesday because I couldn't make it to the gym with the dental appointments. I also ended up not tracking at all Wednesday (oops). Got back to tracking yesterday, but was so swamped at work I couldn't get on here at all. I did manage a workout yesterday, but it sucked.

I'll be honest, Wednesday and even yesterday I was kinda ready to throw in the towel. Not with nutrition or working out, but with tracking and, to an extent, with the groups. I think part of it was information overload. Another group I'm a member of (a non-MFP group more focused on working out) is on a big "throw out your scale" kick right now. Which I totally get. My worth is not based on the number on a scale or the size of my jeans. And when I was younger, I could lose weight without tracking. A good workout schedule and eating healthy most of the time was enough to do it. But now, due to age or stress or lack of sleep or whatever, that's not enough. I need to be more mindful of what and (primarily) how much I eat. I need to be conscious of how I fuel my body (heck, if I wasn't tracking, I wouldn't have figured out that yesterday's workout sucked because I somehow managed to make it to 5 pm with only about 25 grams of protein...ooops...). And I need to keep an eye on the scale because this is about more than just vanity. I need to lose weight to be healthier, to make me (physically) feel better, to be able to run and play with my kids more, the list just goes on and on. And, if I'm not paying attention to the scale, I'll get too lax and the weight will creep right back on. It's happened enough times before. And I know that my worth isn't based on that number on the scale, But as long as I don't let it discourage me (there will be fluctuations, I'm not at a point in my life where I can work out for hours on end, I'm not going to lose 3 lbs every week, etc.), it is a fairly easy way to track my progress and make sure I'm not veering off the path. (I do also take measurements periodically and I pay attention to how my clothes fit, so it's not the only tracking mechanism I use.)

So, I think we all just have to figure out what works for us where we are in our lives right now. Their method of throwing out the scale may work for them, but it's not for me. Maybe, one day, I won't have to track my food, but that's not where I am in my life right now. I'm also not at a point where I'm going to stress myself out over not tracking for a day or 2 or even estimated my portion sizes some of the time (i.e., 3 oz of broccoli vs. 1/2 cup of broccoli or something). And strict paleo or keto or low fat just aren't for me (I've tried them all) - but they are amazing for some people. And I don't have time to work out for a few hours every day, or even an hour every day. But I can average 3-4 workouts each week (some weeks only get 2, some might get 5 or 6), which is what works for me right now. I'm figuring out what works for me where I'm at right now, and I have to quit comparing myself to people who are at a different place in their lives or who have found something different that works for them. Heck, I shouldn't even compare myself to the me of 10 years ago - my life was completely different then!

Ok, wow, sorry, rant over. That was really just supposed to be the first 2 paragraphs and a little bit about how I've been frustrated the last few days. But man, once I started typing, i figured out why I was frustrated and why I shouldn't be! And I had to share. ;)

@OkieGina No need to be sorry. I find that I work a lot of things out by venting. This is probably going to come as no surprise, but I am part of several weightlifting groups, primarily for women and so many are in that same throw out the scale space, but I can't. Not because I care so much what the scale says because I realize that doesn't paint a complete or accurate picture, but because my sport depends on my weight class. I'd honestly LOVE to say goodbye but I can't, however I don't use it as the only measure of success, because well it isn't.
    And you couldn't be more right, we have to figure out what works for us right now, and figure it out when we need to make adjustments, because as we change and grow that will be inevitable. And you CANNOT compare yourself to someone else.
    I've been stuck in this weird place for the last 2 weeks since I reached my goal weight, which has more to do with what weight class I wanted to compete in originally, and less to do with body fat or anything like that. The issue is that I'm not really at the body fat % I want to be at, so I'm struggling to want to continue losing "weight" because I don't really care about that and I realize that losing weight isn't the sane as losing fat, but at this stage in my muscle building, it really will cause me to lose more weight, not that it really matters if I do or don't, but I'm having a hard time reconciling it in my brain and that is causing me to maintain rather than keep losing. And realistically, I need to get back into that mindset of finishing the job and I just can't seem to do it. I am trying really hard to get past it, but I just can't seem to do it, yet.
  • vicky2767
    Options
    @lsjhudson fabulous

@OkieGina it can be very hard not to let that number on the scale get to you. I commend you for not letting it.

@batgirl140 nice loss

@gjaholy33 so positive as always. Even when life throws you a curve ball.

• vicky2767
    Options
    Been having a bit of trouble posting today. Everyone is doing fantastic. Keep up the great work team.
  • vicky2767
    Options
    Daily check in July 12
    Tracked yes
    Calories under
    Exercise yes.
  • vicky2767
    Options
    @jeapri17 good for you!
  • vicky2767
    Options
    @eromligyppah nice loss and great training.
  • AB0215
    Options
    batgirl140 wrote: »
    Batgirl140
    Weigh in July week 2
    Friday weigh in

PW: 198.8
    CW: 196.6!

Yay! Back to it! Felt good to see that. Feels good to be back in control! 2.8 lbs till I’m back at my lowest!!

@batgirl140 Yay! You go girl!
  • AB0215
    Options
    lsjhudson wrote: »
    💥Daily Post: Friday, 12th July 💥

✅Track: yes
    ✅Calories: under
    ☑️Exercise: not today

Comments: man Oh man I'm hungry today. Probably didn't balance my macros well enough. I'm going to bed early so I'm not awake thinking about it too much! I've done a face to face picture between when I started and now, and the difference is visible so I want to keep going..it's good motivation!
    0i2a611magdi.jpeg
    @lsjhudson Awesome job! You can definitely see a difference and why pics help! Great job!
  • AB0215
    Options
    digger61 wrote: »
    Daily Post: July 11
    Calories: under
    Water: 96 oz
    Exercise yes walkung

@digger61 Awesome day!!
  • gjaholy33
    gjaholy33 Posts: 2,626 Member
    Options
    Username: Gjaholy33
    Weigh in day Wednesday
    Week: July Week 2
    PW: 455.2
    CW: 459.6
    Goals/comments sad but true I gain this week, oh well no use crying over spilt milk just need to be more active

Daily Post Thursday
    Track yes
    Calories yes
    Exercise no
    Water 140oz

Daily Post Friday

Track yes
    Calories yes under
    Exercise no
    Water 120oz
  • jeapri17
    jeapri17 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Daily Post: Friday, July 12

Track: yes
    Calories: no
    Exercise: yes. Housecleaning 10 min, stretching and arm exercises 30 min.

Gotta get back on track next week. Found a few pieces of cake and homemade pork and shrimp spring rolls in my freezer on Wednesday. Went way over my calorie limit on 2 days this week. Took it easy on exercise, too, most days this week.

Congrats to everyone who is doing well this week -- keep going! For the rest of us, we can and will do better next week! We got this!
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Daily Post: July 12th

Track: Yes
    Calories under goal: Yes
    Exercise: 10,100 steps

I had my biopsies today and everything went OK. I should know the results Tuesday or Wednesday.....and then go from there. I won't be able to exercise for the next couple of days (just lightly "stroll") so it will be Monday before I get my steps in again. I'm glad I got my walk in early this morning.
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    @CindyJNC1963 I’m glad to hear the biopsy went ok for you. I’ll be thinking of you and hoping for the best possible outcome 🤗
This discussion has been closed.