Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Non Scale Victories

Options
1568101157

Replies

  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    merph518 wrote: »
    I ran 3 miles this morning without stopping to walk. I still can't get over how far I've come since I started running -- at the beginning of August I was barely making it through a minute and a half jogging interval without being completely out of breath and having pain in my lower legs.

    That’s a huge improvement in mobility. 5k competition here you come!
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    merph518 wrote: »
    I ran 3 miles this morning without stopping to walk. I still can't get over how far I've come since I started running -- at the beginning of August I was barely making it through a minute and a half jogging interval without being completely out of breath and having pain in my lower legs.

    that's awesome! great job! man, it's crazy what a body can do with training and support. that's basically a 5k right there! next up: 10k? ;)
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I dunno. I'm interested in 10k training, but I'm already pressed for time in the morning when I run. That'd mean I'd need to get up at 5am instead of 6. For now, I'm going to focus on 5k and work on my pace.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    that's an excellent plan. plus, it should be as enjoyable as possible! less sleep doesn't sound super fun.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,113 Member
    Options
    merph518 wrote: »
    I ran 3 miles this morning without stopping to walk. I still can't get over how far I've come since I started running -- at the beginning of August I was barely making it through a minute and a half jogging interval without being completely out of breath and having pain in my lower legs.

    That is absolutely brilliant, it just goes to show what can be achieved if you put your mind to it.
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love reading these. Well done Losers :smiley: x
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    ha, that's great @katy9599. I don't think I'll be borrowing my six y/o's clothes anytime soon ;)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    merph518 wrote: »
    ha, that's great @katy9599. I don't think I'll be borrowing my six y/o's clothes anytime soon ;)

    Not with that attitude! :wink:

  • Usman70lbs
    Usman70lbs Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I have 72lbs to lose and I've started well so far, losing 7lbs. I'm keen to keep it going. Reading through the comments above and I know the feeling.

    The non scale victories are the best ones. I was able to tighten my belt hole to the 2nd before last rather than the last one this morning.

    I'm finding that drinking more water has helped me a lot.

    Happy for you guys to add me to stay motivated
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Usman70lbs wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I have 72lbs to lose and I've started well so far, losing 7lbs. I'm keen to keep it going. Reading through the comments above and I know the feeling.

    The non scale victories are the best ones. I was able to tighten my belt hole to the 2nd before last rather than the last one this morning.

    I'm finding that drinking more water has helped me a lot.

    Happy for you guys to add me to stay motivated

    @Usman70lbs

    Hello and congrats on the belt hole. I do think the NSVs are more meaningful especially in this group because we are not really fighting numbers on a scale as much as fighting to get to versions of ourselves that are healthier, more freely active, and comfortable. The scale number helps me manage what is happening and, yes, I like a good milestone number but the NSVs are how I measure the improvement in my life.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    awesome, @Jackie9003
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    @amkita I did that same thing with work shirts. There was a nice *kitten* designed I liked at DXL (Men's Big and Tall store). I initially got a 4x shirt as a gift, then bought a 3x and a 2x.

    Unfortunately, the 2x is getting baggy now (the shirts run a little large) and I don't think they make smaller sizes, so I'll have to find something else going forward.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    merph518 wrote: »
    @amkita I did that same thing with work shirts. There was a nice *kitten* designed I liked at DXL (Men's Big and Tall store). I initially got a 4x shirt as a gift, then bought a 3x and a 2x.

    Unfortunately, the 2x is getting baggy now (the shirts run a little large) and I don't think they make smaller sizes, so I'll have to find something else going forward.

    I have found that my initial excitement of being done with Big and Tall shops is being muted by the fact that I really liked some of the shirts I got from there (design-wise) and I cannot find similar elsewhere. Kingsize has them in my size but I need too many clothes right now to be paying full price for more shirts from which I am going to size down. I don't know for sure but with my frame I am assuming I will stop at the Large size.

    How does 'size down' seem as an opposite of "grow out of"? I have struggled finding an opposite expression for a long time.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @novusdies My wife suggested that I tried shopping at Peter Harris, which sells heavily discounted surplus clothes. I don't know if they have them around you, but I was able to get quite a lot of 2x clothing for not a lot of money.

    The downside of the store is that the clothing tends to run small for the size and there's virtually nothing 3x.

    Right now I've got my closet split into halves -- left side fits me, right side doesn't yet. I keep trying stuff on intermittently and eventually more from the right side migrates over.