Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Wow! Hot day today. Makes me want to hide in the dungeon and play with all my toys. Glad the summer is winding down. I have had many moments of discomfort and unsettling thoughts this summer. If I were a bit younger, I would try to find a way to do a YouTube story hour. I still have my Auntie Goose costume. It would be a commitment and I would need permission from authors or publishers. The tangle becomes too much, so I will give up that idea, as much as it appeals to me.

Our meals are not photogenic but they are worthy of pushing into our mouths. I do better some days but I can whip up some unattractive sad looking grub from time to time. Bob: you are an inspiration.

For some reason, the text box on the forum is pushed way over to the side. Some of the words from the post are not visible. Is it me? Or is the MFP poltergeist playing with us again?

Buzz: my mom called my brothers and me and told us either we went through the house and deal with all the stuff or she would have an estate sale place dispose of everything. We went through the house and it took weeks to go through a life time of stuff. Mom giggled and said she did this as revenge for all the times we didn’t clean our room. She had a wicked sense of humor right to the end. But she did say she felt a huge sense of relief not having to deal the details of downsizing.

Lin: the joy of receiving a handmade card cannot be underestimated. It is such a sweet moment. Do not apologize. Turn this around, you know how delighted you would be to receive a hand made card.

Sandy: a sleepover with grandmother. Great memories for your little grand babies. You are a great grandmother, Sandy. Wonderful bonding experience.

Hope this is readable. Can’t see about half of the words.
    Patsy☘️
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Another warm day so the pooches and I were out on the moors just after 7.30 and enjoyed a pleasant breeze for the first mile or so before the sun's heat took over. I drove to an area I haven't visited for months because it is usually quiet but there were camper vans dotted about as well as a few cattle and even more horses.

Sandy, When George was younger he used to chase the sheep but severe words soon broke him of that habit. I do remember the first time I let him off lead while strolling with another dog walker George saw about a dozen sheep and set off to round them up. Unfortunately they ran off towards the horizon with George in pursuit before turning and heading back to where they had been grazing. George was so pleased with himself but I knew if a farmer had been anywhere near he would have been in his rights to shoot him, as small as he is, so he was given a good talking to! Never did it again although he does stop to stare quite often but usually a sheep in the pack will stamp its feet and he runs away! This morning as we passed a group of cattle the calves showed a lot of interest in the dogs in a gentle sort of way but George did a wide ark round them while Betty stayed at my heel.

Home again I've enjoyed muesli with fruit compot and Greek yogurt, washed the kitchen floor and vacuumed the living room that is currently getting constant traffic from the room that's being stripped down which means dust, bits of cardboard and crumbly cement on top of Betty's molting fur. George doesn't shed his fur so I'm afraid Betty's habit is a shock to the system, not that it's her fault of course. Bob, Pulling the boards off the walls could be done by the builder but I'm doing it out of curiosity rather than necessity and am pleased that so far no major problems have shown themselves.... don't speak too soon Jackie!!

Patsy, your idea of a You Tube book reading hour would be wonderful, especially in your goose outfit. What a shame copyright laws get in the way of such an innocent project. I shall ponder that one for you!!

Just gone 11am so time for a coffee break. It doesn't feel as hot as the past couple of days, in fact there's a haze in the sky but we have a warning of severe thunderstorms for tomorrow and Tuesday so a few towels washed and out to dry (you're right Bob, can't beat that fresh air smell to push your face into!) and plans afoot to muck out the chooks later.

Happy Sunday everyone.
    Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,108 Member
    Options
    Lost my post. But here is a lovely teapot. Fresh from the store apparently.

mvnzgji7bfjk.jpeg

❤️❤️
    Lin
  • linder4866
    Options
    Okay, just finished watering and it looks like it may rain soon. 🤣😄🤣

Meanwhile, I found this to be very entertaining.

uyda03rzeob6.jpeg

That is sooooo beyond teapot.

Hugs.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Blue iris teapot Lin... stylish but I suspect made in China. The lampshade is yet another accident waiting to happen! 😧😮😲. Hilarious but I wonder what sort of mind thought that one up?

Just had a mad half hour washing the floor and sills in my garden room when the thermometer on the wall indicates 95f. It does look a lot better out there and I must have lost a pound in weight but I’m ready to collapse in a heap with the mucking out still to do. 🥵

Ok, cooled off a bit so back Outside to finish my chores.
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Good heavens, I had no idea people, presumably the ladies, could be so enthusiastic about the humble teapot! Well, at least my family won't have much to sort through when I pour my last cuppa!

I picked up the Lutein yesterday and bought Mike a container as well because he's always had an eye problem from birth. I'm hoping by Christmas I will be able to see the city of Buffalo across the lake!

PATSY, I feel for you, physically and mentally, when you mention suffering in the heat. I've always had a problem, even in my younger days when the climate in the UK was more bearable. Both myself and Mark have suffered from heat stroke in the past and it's no picnic! With two A/Cs and lockdown I've fared pretty well this year, but not so the poor garden. At the side of the house (Harry's side) I've got a superb thistle growing that is taller than me! It peeps at me through the kitchen window. The garden is a total mess, Ivy tendrils wandering over the lawn and baby maples everywhere. Roll on September because much work is needed. However, good news, I've got a garden full of beautiful butterflies and bees. Mike who's no gardener thinks I should just say I'm cultivating a wild flower garden to help nature.

I'm so proud of my little Bean. We met a very small person out with Mom. Could the small person pat the "puppy".? Jilly lay on her back and tolerated small fingers and a tail pull. She took it all in her stride good naturedly.

I see pink peril in the form of JACKIE is ahead of me, it's useful getting the warning as we post because we don't miss anyone. Let's see what our Jackie's got to say.
    ❤️to all, Anne.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday. I seem to have slept through much of it following my oatmeal breakfast. Another lazy day.
    I certainly admire how well trained both JACKIE and ANNE's pups are!
    Occasionally my screen moves to one side and it's annoying. I usually have to exit the website and log back in, after copying anything I really need.I believe it has something to change in settings, but can't figure out what.
    I suspect several of us would like to live near BOB and JEAN. My meals are just slightly better than institutional or it might be BBQ'd spareribs, which I never choose, much as I'd like to!
    Our temperature today is 91, feeling like 105! Must be very humid. Thank goodness for A/C...
    <3 Buzz
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Hello Buzz❤️🙋🏻 ❤️. Resting is good, after all you have been through a lot. Patsy seemed to have similar computer problems yesterday with her page going to one side so perhaps it is MFP gremlins. I remember a dear friend, similar age to you, experiencing a hospital stay followed by a few weeks in a community care establishment saying if I find mashed potato on my plate one more time I will throw it across the room! Of course she didn’t! 😄
    Enjoy your afternoon. I must think of something to cook for my evening meal.
    Jackie
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    j3um6xecvkdp.jpg

Sandy I followed your instructions and this is what appears at my end. Do you see a picture ?

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,061 Member
    Options
    Indeed I do....what a cute guy. Diane was having problems posting a picture so I helped her.This is Jacquie, he is 10.5 years old and their baby. <3
  • OhDD65
    Options
    Spent some time trying to figure it out last night. Turns out what I sent blows up into a picture. Yea !!! Special thanks to Sandy for her help here !!!
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,061 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) I did not nap yesterday so went to bed fairly early and made up on sleep.
    I have a zoom call with my kids this afternoon, followed by a cocktail zoom call at 5:00 and then another zoom call at 7:00pm for my grandson and his wife birthdays which were yesterday and today. This is the grandson that lives in Hawaii, his wife was 21 yesterday and he is 24 today. My brother's was yesterday, he was 87 and I facetimed him and he looks good.
    I hope I find time to ride my bike but this day is going fast.

Buzz, the more rest you get the better, if our bodies are tired they let us know. <3

Anne, lots of people have wild gardens, just join the crowd. Aww, we all know Jilly is a friendly little pup except when she's guarding mommy in the house.

Jackie, settle down lady and take some time for yourself, you are working too hard. Sunday is a day of rest although all my days are like that. lol

Lin, now I think that is an interesting lamp, no children or pets allowed.

Patsy, I am trying to make memories for my grandchildren since they are so young. I hope one day when I am gone they remember me and have pleasant memories.

Time to move or I will be having my zoom calls in my robe. Have a great day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Looks like we are going to have another hot one today. Now I want to tell you all a secret. The weatherman has some sort of crazy trick he pulls all the time. The predicted high here is 71 degrees. On our back deck it is well over 100. Even if decks seem to be heat sinks...you really could bake bread out there without an oven. The front yard area is no better. Everything looks parched and wilted. Okay...enough. I am heading to the dungeon with a mug of coffee and a mandarin orange. Today’s fare will be a chicken salad with black grapes, Romain lettuce and almonds. Easy, cool and I will not turn on the stove! Chicken was cooked yesterday

Trimmed my hair yesterday and it looks okay. At least it looks like I was not attacked by a demented weed whacker. Personal upkeep is hard when you don’t have a social life. But I feel like a horrible slug if I don’t make an effort. John, however, only dresses for comfort. He has a closet of really great clothes left from his college admin days. Now he is most comfy in baggy jeans, ball cap, and a tee shirt. I am actually glad he is comfortable and if the occasion were to emerge, he could jump into his Armani suit and silk tie. Knowing my dear John, he would just send flowers or a congratulatory card.

Our democratic and republican election offices have closed their doors. No one to man or woman the office and phones. We only have a telephone tree now. I have a list of people to call, they have a list to call and on it goes. Mainly we are just reminding people to vote their choice no matter who. Oregon was one of the first to have mail-in voting. Not sure how you feel about it, but we have had no problems at all. Here we usually have one place to vote in person. We Also have a place to drop off ballots instead of using the official post office. All bases are covered.

Anne: I, too, was impressed with Jilly’s tolerance. Katie would have barked loudly at the child and hide behind John or me. I have seen this before. She doesn’t enjoy strangers and is fearful by nature. We try to socialize her in a controlled way. I would never trust her with small children. She will decide some people are fine and others she stays as far away as possible. Why? Who? John says she is just a natural born wing nut!

Enjoy, it is a popsicle kind of day.
    Patsy☘️
  • linder4866
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hello again. The day has run away from me again. I chatted with a friend this morning and posted in Facebook. Then I attended online church. Made lunch and have spent oh-so-much time trying to find some small pictures I hand colored as I wanted to put several of them in cards I am making surprise! They are missing. I am not sure it is worth hunting any longer. I found the original drawings and they were done on very thick glossy stock which is why I remember I made copies on a lighter weight card stock. But what I did with the ones I had not used, I have no idea. Anyway, I don’t have time to copy and color new ones right now.

I do have two get well cards ready for the mail now. But have not started the birthday cards.

Meanwhile, I am so happy to see Diane’s post with her photo of Jacque. 👍🏻👍🏻❤️ Now we have photos of all the Sneakers furry family members I believe. ❤️❤️

Sandy, run along. What a busy time you are having on Zoom. Some very happy times. ❤️🥳

Buzz, yes please try to get enough rest to restore your health and strength. Many best wishes ❤️❤️

Anne, did I miss your shopping trip update? Other than the lutein? Did you look for Christmas gifts? Stock up items for yourself?

Jackie, how much do you do in ONE day? Wahoo! We had a sprinkle of rain this morning after I watered my plants and now it is hot with the air conditioning running non-stop. I hope it is not too hot as you worked outside.

Patsy, I agree, if there were not so many hurdles, a video with a costumed Patsy reading for the children would be lovely.

Bob, I think my new batch of sprouts will be ready tonight or tomorrow morning. Yes!!

Well, I think I will have one more go for the hand colored card enclosures. Looking forward to watching PBS for hours later this afternoon and this evening!

Be safe and happy.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Started the day with a great morning walk while listening to: Righteous Bros., Bruno Mars, Eagles, Kenny Chesney, Boz Scaggs, Bee Gees, Rod Stewart and Harry Chapin. B)

Then it was a drive to see Jean’s uncle and bring him some tomatoes. He turns 89 this month and active as anyone could be. Always involved with multiple projects going. Love his stories (NAVY, decades as a fireman, young days growing up with Jean’s dad etc.) – awesome guy! Reminds me of how spread out in ages my siblings are… the oldest passed away a few years ago at 83 and the youngest turns 65 this year. My older brother is 79. (Four of us remain).

My new Rx eyeglasses arrived yesterday. I try to keep a back-up pair of regular and sunglasses. Hard to believe in the old days I would pay $300+ for one pair. My cost though ZENNI for regular prescription glasses ranges from $12.95 to $35.95. Price includes frame + basic prescription lenses, anti-scratch coating & UV protection. Of course there are other add-on choices. I took a few selfies and then played with making a new temporary profile pic. (see pic.)

b68ho9u8edgr.jpg

Took a second walk with Jean – and then it was time for lunch… (see pic). Now it’s time for some other projects I have going.

8s4we76ospmp.jpg

Lin – We obviously see eye-to-eye on broccoli sprouts and onions. More would have been on the plate but wouldn’t fit. :D

Jackie – There is nothing like the smell of fresh garden vegetables. As for my salad, I never know where I am going to end up… sometimes I have to tell myself – “enough already!” It only gets bad when “we” argue in our head. LOL

Sandy – sounds like you had a great time with the kids. I love the memories & traditions we have built with the grandchildren. They certainly can keep us young and after a “day of fun” it can leave a person a bit tired.

As for lunches, I enjoy concocting things. Jean laughs at the time I spend putting a simply meal together – then I remind her that she always says “ironing relaxes me” and that she “loves” hanging clothes outside etc. I guess we all have our own idiosyncrasies. :)

Have a great evening everyone. Bob
  • OhDD65
    Options
    Well lucky you all got a chance to finally get introduced to our toy poodle Jacque. My intentions have been good, but computers, phones, kindles and I don't always get along. Some photos end up in once place and then not another place; it takes time to find what I am looking for and then to follow the directions, which are plain as mud some times. Between Lin and Sandy helping me I finally did what I have been meaning to do for some time. Thanks again Lin and Sandy !!

Finally am starting to increase my walking again. Six weeks ago while out in our RV I for the second time injured my left toe, which created a lot of swelling and patience for healing. Never expecting it to be a problem I climbed into bed on our new mattress only to slide right off the velour blanket onto my bottom somehow falling and reinjurying my left toe and top of foot. That is twice in one year....enough is enough. Shorty here never figured the new mattress on the wood box base would be too tall for me. Next time around please give me a few more inches in height !!

While on a walk Jerry and I returned home to find water gushing from the back of the house to the front gutter. With more inspection we discovered a 2 inch slit in the seam of our drip system requiring a call for someone to come fix it. That was event number Two...... Just prior to that I was attempting to open our new plantation shutters in the bedroom to let in some early morning fresh air....a daily ritual with our heat here. Suddenly the shutters come crashing down on me due to not opening them right. There is 4 louvered shutters on this window. My attempting to catch them allowed them to not fall apart completely, but several of the louvers did pop out. Thankfully I was able to reassemble them and believe me I won't do that again. From that point on I decided I was safest back in my chair....lol

Until yesterday I decided to do the wash only to discover the spin cycle wasn't pumping out all of the water at the end...a lot but not all, so did a second spin. Clothes went into the dryer quite wet on the hot towel cycle. 70 min later they were finally dry enough to hang up. We pulled out the paperwork on these two appliances 15.5 yrs old. It would cost a small fortune to fix them only to have something else go wrong. Try to find a set of appliances when you are short....3 stores later they are ordered to be delivered on the 18th. Appears lots of washers and dryers are out of stock either due to the virus issue with the makers of them or else there is a run on appliances as several others were shopping also. Who would have known and the stores were busy too. Looking forward to this new purchase, but will be glad when 2020 is over with. Can't say it has been a good year for us. Enough is enough....

Lin I must tell you that teapot lamp with cups certainly was very cleverly made as was the smaller lamp. No little children or animals in that house for sure....

Like everyone else I have had about enough of summer. It has been around 95 with temps up to the 100s for a few weeks now. I delightful cooler day and they are on their way up to 100-102 this week. I pray our 21 yr old ac continues to run. We really do not want something else to go wrong this year. Take my car in to the shop in a couple of days to fix the bumper where my husband decided to bang in the curb. First injury for my new car, but a lesson learned for sure.

Well I have rambled on enough. Needless to say the more we sit idly right now the best. Due to our ages we are not having to help our daughter move in a couple of weeks. Besides we have done our share with their many moves over time.

Take care everyone and stay cool.....

Diane

• Gawanne35
    Options
    Oh Diane, I'm so sorry!
    Meanwhile I'm out of commission myself. Simply cannot concentrate to write and just want to sit feeling sorry for myself until 8 am when I can phone the dental office. The culprit appears to be a wisdom tooth but it could be any one of two at the bottom of my jaw or the two molars above. Excruciating enough to make my eyes water anyway. After two sleepless nights I look less than lovely I can tell you. I don't expect to get into the dental chair today what with this virus and few people being seen. Terrible weekend and very humid and hot up here to add to the woes. The usual pain killers don't work by the way.
    Hope everyone else is feeling well.
    Anne, feeling very sorry for herself and facially a bit lopsided.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Diane and Anne, I am so sorry. ❤️❤️🥺❤️❤️ What unhappy news.

Just sharing a photo.

“My Porcelier teapots”

rq7d1ym3zr4z.jpeg

❤️❤️
    Lin
  • jwubben6600
    Options
    Up after a sleepless night. I was so sorry to hear about Diane's news, when the things we depend on malfunction, life gets very complicated. I always feel there is some sort of appliance virus as well. They all come down with appliance flu at once. There is no cure. Only extrication and a new install does the trick. The big extraction is from our bank account.

Dearest Anne: I am so very sorry to hear about your tooth problem. There must be an emergency dental doctor in your area. I know you hate to be a bother but you must let one of your sons drive you to a clinic. You will need antibiotics before they will do an extraction. That is standard these days. If your face is swollen you might have an abscessed tooth. I wish I could really help you. You are such a darling person that we all love. I hate to hear you are in pain. Take care, my friend.
    Off to take a melatonin and hit the pillow for another hour or so.
    Patsy☘️
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    PATSY, what a sweetheart! Thank you for thinking of me. Phoned the dentist, and they can see me at 10. I never thought I'd be happy to go to the dentist, but what a palaver! Wait outside the window in the car for virus screening before being hauled in. Mikes only just back at work so he can't take me but I phoned a very sleepy Mark and he's giving me a lift. I've had this dentist for years but he's quite a long way away now my carefree leaping on buses is over AND I don't have the tokens required these unusual days.
    Please dear Sneakers....no more mishaps because I'm number two today.
    The pain killer is wearing off so the dentist will see I'm not joking! Plus the sleepless bags under the eyes!
    Anne.