Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Annsie35
    Annsie35 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm still on track with my 30 minute trot. Day five. I found maintenance calories to be my downfall when I went on a serious diet last time SANDY. If I make it to ideal weight this time I'll carry on as is and just add one piece of my favourite shortbread if I continue losing. I'm trying to eat a very balanced diet. Just less of it. Porridge today with a sprinkling of flax for breakfast, mid morning banana and so forth.

Love all the photos JERI. VERY Canadian!

We had a touch of your problem JACKIE regarding little dogs. Mike turned up, decided to take Bean out and she refused to wear her nice warm coat. So off they went, one furry dog and one bundled up Mike. Five minutes later they were back. Bean did what she was supposed to do and refused to carry on!
    He hung around a further two hours and offered to take her out again but she made it perfectly clear she would rather have a tummy rub. Can't say I blame her!

Well, I woke up very late for me, so must away for a shower and see what Monday brings.
    A big good morning virtual hug from me to all you lovely folks out there,
    Annsie.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Gloomy is the best description of what’s hanging round us today. Little to be seen beyond the bottom of my garden so after my 35g weighed out bowl of porridge and banana I drove with George and Betty to the moors hoping we could climb above the fog but no such luck. So we didn’t get lost I walked within tractor tracks but of course the dogs found every muddy puddle to splash through and this time it was my turn to say let’s go back because my fingers were frozen in no time.
    Before coming home I drove into town to buy some low fat denture sticks for Betty, a few packs of George’s raw meat and a bag of peanuts for the wild birds. The hens have been mucked out this afternoon but then fine, soaking drizzle drifted in so we’re indoors and I’m about to light fires after chopping kindling. I have been busy even if we didn’t walk far... just over 3000 steps!

Bob, your comment about old cornflakes Ads made me smile as it reminded me of an episode of Gogglebox I watched a couple of weeks ago. A rather gross programme was being watched by the participants in which young people picked someone they’d like to date who stood naked behind a screen that gradually exposed body parts! I was thinking how sad that the romance of getting to appreciate a personality and shared interests has gone out the window when one lady watching at home said “I wonder what Jane Austen would think of this”. Another case for a heart attack!
    Love all your photos and how clever to pop yourself into the group shot.

Jeri, someone mentioned on a late news programme last night discussing European efforts to control which countries get the vaccines that Canada ordered 10 times more than would ever be needed so hopefully you won’t have to wait too long unless there are supply issues.
    Gorgeous photos... stunning scenery and a stunning couple! 😃

Goodness, 5pm already so I need to think about what I’m going to eat this evening. I’m doing my best to eat earlier rather than later so I might burn a few calories before bed.

Happy Monday. Stay safe.
    Jackie
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,042 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) Ten inches of snow fell yesterday and it is taking some time for the guys to get things cleared.
    I am sure the main roads are clear for my eye exam so I should be fine.

Bob, I have a couple of questions for you and hope you aren't too snowed in to answer. Where do you buy your eye glassed online? I am getting a new prescription today and I would rather not spend hundreds since I will need two different pairs of glasses, one for reading and one for night driving. I think I have a stigmatism so does that matter?? I would like to go to Costco but I am not a member.

Can you explain why when I do my bike riding and get 300 or 400 calories why does MFP deduct those from my exercise? I have my goal set to 1200 calories so I add the exercise calories and in most cases it deducts my calories from Fitbit Calorie Adjustment. What's the point in exercising if I can add them to my calorie intake?

I will be back later and hope everyone is well.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    The morning flew by. 5:30am dropped off “Valentine’s Day” bag for the grandkids (T-shirts, window gels etc.). Then grocery shopping with no customers (60 seconds after open). Back home – baked some fresh turkey breast and veggies for lunch.

Had purchased movie tickets last week for tomorrow morning – but now a morning snow storm forecast. I guess it’s better to be careful and avoid certain risks we might later regret – so I cancelled. Let’s face it – “The Marksman” isn’t exactly “Gone with the Wind.”

s0tiyq7hqcep.jpg

Sandy – Glad you made it home safely…sounds like you are having the weather we expect tomorrow morning. Can’t recall if we watched “The Vanished” and will have to check – this Covid-19 has movies blending in my memory bank. LOL. We did watch The Next 3 Days. Still waiting for some of our regular programs to return. I miss the old days when seasons were a lot longer with a brief hiatus. Yes, we get along with ex and there was an adjustment period prior to grandchildren. Now with 3 grandkids with each having school plays, dance recitals, sports, holidays etc. we have found a happy medium and the grandkids love that we all get along. To be honest, that is my nature. I hold no grudges against anyone in my life and pretty much look at everything thru the lens of the Serenity Prayer when it comes to accepting things. I think I came out ahead - my former mother-in-law (now deceased) met Jean before marriage and said “Bob, you done good, she is lovely.”

Speaking of lens – good luck with your eyeglasses! I order from 2 places – ZenniOptical.com and eyebuydirect.com --- prices are “excellent” and I have back-up’s. I have more glasses than I need. The important thing is having the correct PD (pupillary distance number). My lenses have been on target with both companies.

Jeri – Nice photos. I can relate to cold walks, beautiful snow scene (even if I am not a winter-lover) and of course the “art work.” I have some similar pieces. Good luck with your slow opening & vaccines. I will likely get the vaccine, but haven’t really pursued. I have a couple appointments this month and wondering what the availability will be in 2 weeks when I go to the heart center.

Anne – congrats on being on-track with your 30 min trot. Maintenance can be a challenge…but this time I think intermittent fasting tied to low-carb has been my personal answer and for the last couple months I only vary by 2-3 pounds…and that can just be water etc. Back at ya with a virtual hug.

Jackie – I think Gogglebox sounds like a horror series LOL – I mean naked, with gradual exposure? Yikes, only a power outage would save me. I totally agree on the “romance” “shared interests & beliefs” etc. I interact with a “LOT” of young people and it is sad “what some don’t know – that they don’t know” and are missing. It’s no wonder many end up with so many bad relationships that only seem to repeat.

Adios for now all! Bob

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Soggy day today. But we are starting the week with a determined focus. Laundry started and dish washer humming along. The funny thing going on here is our air purifier. When Katie walks by it or if I start cooking, the silly thing starts chugging and clanking. We got it during all the big wildfires and smoky air, and it was a real life saver. We use it now in case of mold spores, dust (it doesn’t dust for me!) doggie dander etc. I am convinced this thing has a mind of its own. Just as an idea from wet soggy Oregon, it does seem to help with allergies and sinus inflammation. It has a hepa filter that needs to be changed once or twice a year. Our furnace filter doesn’t work as well.

Had phone visits with our kids on Sunday and that was nice. John is really feeling cabin fever these days. He must make trip to the post office and Walgreens today. It will be good for him to get out of the house, even for a couple of errands.

Jackie: isn’t it funny how caring for our animals is never too expensive or a burden? I cook for Katie, like you and Anne do for your beloved animal family. I feed her people grade food. I honestly am convinced it makes a big difference in their life quality. I use suggestions from our vet and that wonderful Canadian vet Dr. Jones on YouTube. Just to say...you are a great mom to your animal family.

Sandy: our eye sight becomes a huge issue as we age. So I wanted to say that our experience with Costco eye glasses was HORRIBLE! The lens were the wrong prescription, the frames were cheap and fell apart and were poorly fitted and adjusted. That department has closed now in our Costco. Not sure how things are where you shop. With the Covid restrictions it could be all Costco stores.

Anne: your food plan is similar to ours. John refuses to consider not allowing himself good food or the occasional treat. We do portion control, exercise and we are naughty with a glass of wine before bedtime. In truth....there are times when we are not doing what we know we should. There is when it is good to have someone to shake their head and say...”get on your exercises! Skip the notion of an extra helping!” I can be that adult delinquent brat, from time to time.

Lin: I have often thought your card designs were very special. Anyone lucky enough to get one should treasure it. I usually send St. Patrick’s day letters instead of Christmas letters or cards. Christmas is such a crazy time for me. Anyway I design a sort of letterhead for my St. Patrick’s day letters. I know how much goes into designing cards or letterheads!

On to laundry folding and cleaning bathrooms...........
    ☘️Patsy🪣🧹
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,091 Member
    Options
    lipoaomzjztt.jpeg

Enjoy your day.

Hugs. ❤️❤️

Lin
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Thank you Lin, that’s the prettiest start to my day 😘
    Jackie x
  • Annsie35
    Options
    OH JACKIE, is it your birthday already!!! With this darn virus days all blend in together and if it hadn't been for all the valentine day chat I wouldn't have realized we had already reached February.

I hope you have a marvellous day despite lockdowns, shut downs, social distancing etc.

A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR JACKIE FROM ANNE AND JILLY BEAN.❤️
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    <3Happy Birthday, Jackie.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    2796751yepgcdnedb.gif
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Dearest Jackie! On your birthday we get to tell you how much you mean to us...you, my dear English friend, bring such charm, joy and wise advice to us here. You are a delight. On your birthday I am feeling so grateful to count you as a friend. We all yearn to be with you to help you celebrate your birthday. My sincerest wishes for a happy birthday as well as many virus-free years to come.
    Love and friendship,
    ☘️Patsy, Katie and John too!
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello everyone. Sorry I didn’t get here yesterday. I bet you missed the daily teapot!

dyshmqek0bam.jpeg

I have been immersed in the starts of Easter cards. A photo cannot show all that goes into the totally unremarkable little stack that represents several days of work. 🙃

Wishing everyone happy and safe days. A number of friends are really pushing me to get in the hunt for any kind of COVID shot I can find. And another friend called her doctor’s office saying I don’t know how to do this. Playing the helpless card and they put her on the schedule so she didn’t have to struggle with it. Argh! So it is true. Doctors do help some people.

So everyone, take that with a grain of salt. Fair play is not the rule of the land.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    In the words of Simon & Garfunkel – “Slip sliding away, slip sliding away…You know the nearer your destination, the more you slip sliding away.” That was my morning. And then it was onto turkey/bacon lunch prep etc. Lots of people I know working / schooling from home after switching virtual schedules. We are hibernating.

pfkfbch1kuzq.jpg
    l3o3v5y71pjz.jpg

Patsy – You are so right with regards to our eyes. Family history and meds have me at the ophthalmologist every 5-6 months. I was VERY apprehensive about ordering online the first time & did a lot of investigating. My biggest concern was RX being filled with the proper PD reading. Many doctors don’t give it out. I was fortunate enough to get mine. My script changes every 2 yrs. so I didn’t want to shell out big bucks. Last pair were buy-1 get 1 pair free – cost about $50.00 total. So I am a happy camper at this point. Glad to know about your experience at Costco.

Jackie – Enjoy some cake or “beverage” for me! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

ptjdv2glpd99.jpg

Bye for now. Everyone stay healthy, warm and virus-free! Bob
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! :) My sitting times have changed on Tuesday to 2:00pm. I ordered my groceries for pickup tomorrow. I have a call into the eye doctor because if I want two different pairs of glasses I would like to know my prescription for each pair. They just gave me a prescription so to order online I am confused. Bob????

Jackie, I hope you have a wonderful birthday and indulge in something fun, you deserve it.

Really have to get ready, I will also be making mini raviolis for our dinner at the kiddos house. Keep warm, stay safe and healthy.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Options
    Just a note. Costco’s eye care department has been just fine for me. So far.

Working on a sympathy card and a birthday card today by the way.

Bob, ack, not great weather for you.

Sandy, happy sitting this afternoon. And good luck on your order tomorrow!

Back to work.

Lin
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Thank you lovely sneakers for all your good wishes. In spite of lockdown I’m enjoying my day with phone calls, FaceTime chats and a visit from my bubble neighbours for tea and cakes. It’s times like this, including the virus, that I remember what wonderful friends I have and I do honestly include all of you in my special group. February 2011 was when I first registered on MFP, 2 years after I’d retired and well on my way to becoming obese because I had time on my hands to do nothing and eat plenty.... what I refer to as my slob period! It never crossed my mind I would meet such delightful people, pooches and cats that I now care about, sometimes worry about but always refer to as my best friends. 😘

Another FaceTime call to make while I indulge in a couple of Dairy Box classic collection chocolates so I’ll wish you all a safe and warm Tuesday... happy hibernating Bob!

Jackie 😍
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    8phy533kod1i.jpeg
    Happy Birthday Jackie.

Slow day here. Yesterday was so nice and lots of fun as we went for a walk outside with Melanie and 9 of her kids. Zach had too much homework.

Today was dull and cold and we have a snowfall warning.

Sorry don’t have time to reply to everyone but big hugs.

Jeri
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Jeri, is that your daughter Melanie?? If so she looks too young for ten kids.
  • Annsie35
    Options
    Before I get down to vacuuming want to wish everyone a happy day. Mary Jo tried to order Ontario seeds for their veg plot, but all orders are on hold because they are flooded with orders! Everyone is expecting another year of lockdown. Reminds me of when I was a kid in the war and the slogan was "Dig for Britain."

Talking of which I watched "The Stranger" on Netflix. Right up my street. Had me enthralled for the past two days with a rather satisfying ending. However it didn't help the homesickness viewing the houses and gardens and woods. Did you watch it JACKIE? What was your reaction if so.

JERI, I think the beautiful young lady with an equally beautiful Jeri is one of your grand daughters?

Interesting that Jackie joined MFP for the same reason as myself. I found an article by chance in a magazine in the hairdressers. Thought that looks intriguing and here I am! To think that I would never have known all you lovely souls and your various lifestyles if I hadn't sat waiting for my turn with the "sheep" shearer.

Not much to report I'm afraid although Mary Jo and myself have just had a long chat how we can persuade one of the boys to dig up my hydrangea and move her to a sunnier spot. That and the unavailability of carrot seeds etc. My brain is all gung ho for digging up half my lawn but the knees say forget that Annsie.

Must away and get something done.
    Anne and the lovely Bean who had an upset tummy for the past two days. Seems on the mend today barking at passing dogs and dog walkers.
  • pinkperil
    edited February 2021
    Options
    A long walk high over the hills this morning and a short trip back to the pet shop because they had run out of Brady’s favourite sachets on Monday probably because they are on a special offer. Met my hairdresser in the queue buying for her 2 pooches so we managed a quick catch up. Funny coincidence because I had an appointment booked for this afternoon and boy, do I need a trim. Hopefully she’ll be open by April.
    Three of my friends have now had their first vaccination so should be my turn soon, not that I’m worrying as my lifestyle is so shutdown at the moment. They had underlying health issues so moved up the queue which is as it should be.
    The sun is shining so I’ve 2 loads of laundry hanging out and after attacking my bedroom with vacuum cleaner, duster and a damp cloth round the window frames I’m ready to do a couple of hours gardening. Enjoyed too many delicious chocolates last night so must work some of that sugar out of my system!

Anne, I still haven’t decided on getting Netflix since I’m not a regular tv watcher but have to admit they do show some excellent drama. I’ll add The Stranger to The Dig for my first to watch if I do subscribe.
    As for veggie seeds I managed to buy what I wanted online at the beginning of the year but noticed several varieties were already unavailable. It’s wonderful that more and more people are interested in growing their own but frustrating for MJ when she has always done so. A shame I’m not allowed to pop a few packets in an envelope and post them across the pond.
    I smiled when I read your comment about wanting to dig up half your lawn. My brain was gung ho to turn my mattress earlier and saw in my mind a quick slide outwards and flip over but in reality the hefty 10” deep thing was a struggle. Won’t be long before it becomes impossible!

Gardening calls! 👩🏻‍🌾 Big hug for Jilly from me and the gang. Happy, safe Wednesday to Everyone. 😘
    Jackie