The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,226 Member
    Options
    Hi Ang! Welcome back. Marla and I are still struggling with the weight and exercise and COVID Stay at Home has not helped us. Russ and I retired and moved to Michigan. We bought a house in a rural area outside a small town where I grew up. We have 10.5 acres and have orchards, paths and farm roads to walk on with our dog. I bought an electric bike to assist me when pedaling up hills on the local bike trails. I'm ready to get riding. Right now I'm practicing intermittent fasting, eating between the hours of noon and 7:30pm. I'm walking with my bad knees once a day but can't do more than a mile at this time. I've been up and down in weight since I retired last June. I had lost 16 pounds but gained 4 back and am stuck for now. I'm hoping the walking, biking and eating schedule will help me.

My workout partner, Laurie, has had both her vaccines. My first one is tomorrow and my second will be mid April. Once I'm done, we can work out together without masks. We are looking forward to getting back together. She is over COVID and is not a long hauler but her husband still has headaches from a bad case of COVID.

Marla, I don't know what the grand kids will call me. I've suggested to my sons their children could call me Grandma Jenny, GiGi, Nana, etc. but don't know what will happen. I imagine it will end up Grandma.

Nice weather here and hoping we get an early spring for once.

Ang, when did you stop running? COVID is getting to all of us. How is your community with it?

Tomorrow is my Moderna shot. I can't wait!

Jenny
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Realized you ladies haven't met my new friend. Met Wesley. I adopted him from a local shelter in July. He's 10 months old now. He's a total brat but a total lovebug!

sn20fqaw05ch.jpg

We got snow today. Ugh. Winter wanted one last hurrah before the first day of spring tomorrow. No running today. The sidewalks aren't cleared yet. I need to get a workout in before the end of the day. With working from home today, I feel lazy. I need to get something done today!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Hi Wesley! He's a cutie.
    Ist vaccine done. So far arm is not sore but I took two Ibuprofen when I got home. I'm feeling tired but don't know if that is from the shot.

Ang, would you take walks when weather makes running dangerous due to ice?

TGIF Marla! I know you love your weekends.

I had a nice walk today in the sun. Russ and I walked Charlie together. No word on my bike being ready. I'll call tomorrow.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Hi Wesley. He looks so much like the cats that my grandparents always had on the farm.

Shot one done for Jenny - yay!

TGIF for sure.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I picked up my e-bike and am charging the battery now. Trail looks clear so I may take a morning ride tomorrow. I hope my sister and I can ride this week.

Jenny
  • angf0679
    Options
    Jenny, I havenèt been doing much of anything all winter. Blame the pandemic. I am.

It will be a bit yet before I qualify for a vaccine. They are at 80+ for the general public.

I tried to go for a walk/run today. It snowed yesterday. The sidewalks weren't clear. I ended up turning back and only did 1km, Did an indoor workout instead. About 3 hours later I went out to do errands, they were clear by then!! I'm going to attempt to get up early enough to get it done for the virtual adult Sunday School.

• mizpaden74
    Options
    Jenny, I hope conditions are favorable for your ride. I know you have been looking forward to the bike.

I love Saturday.

That is all. ;>)
  • jrbanta
    Options
    It's been slow going getting on the bike. I brought it home and charged the battery but when I put it back on I couldn't get it locked on the bike. I took it back to the store to get a lesson on putting on the battery and locking it so it doesn't get stolen or fall off when I ride. Brought it home again but couldn't get the motor to work for the assist up hills even though battery was charged. I took it back to the store and learned there is an on/off button on the battery I didn't know about. Needless to say, my tutorial at the store was lacking but now I know what I'm doing. Very friendly guys at the store and very helpful, but two too many trips back there with the bike to learn how to use it. When I test rode a few times, the guy had already turned it on so I didn't see that part. When I picked it up the first time, my lessons were obviously lacking details. I rode it up and down our long driveway and on our rode to make sure all was good. Charlie, dog, had a blast racing me and running up and down and all around. 60 degrees today but didn't get on the trail. Hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday. I guess it will snow again by the weekend. Expected but not happy. I was thinking we deserved an early spring with no more snow. At least it will melt fast now that temps are so much warmer.

Ang, in Michigan they started with 65 and older for the vaccine and worked down the age groups. April 5th will be when anyone 16 years or older in Michigan can get the vaccine if they want it.

My brother leaves tomorrow morning. He is heading to visit a friend in southern Michigan and then on to Nashville to stay with another friend as he makes his way back to Arizona. Beginning of April he will head up to Bellingham Washington to see his daughters and engage a builder to build his new home. He will move there sometime this summer and do some of the work on the house himself.

We met at my sister's today and sat on the deck in the sun. Russ took pictures of my siblings and I together, my two brothers together and my sisters and I together. It seemed a good thing to do since Steve will not be with us next year. He is really holding his own and seems to be doing well but I know that people with cancer can go downhill pretty fast. The doctor originally didn't give him longer than July so we will see. It will be so sad for all of us.

Well I hope you have a happy Monday.

Jenny
  • angf0679
    Options
    Jenny - They are now saying with more vaccinations coming up, everyone that wants it will have their first dose by the end of June.

My body is feeling the fitness routine I am forcing it back into. I have a dull ache all over. It's a combination of that and being over 40 I think. Yesterday and today I ran on my lunch break. I need to do that more. It frees up the evening to get things done I need to do. Like last night I made 22 cards! (21 Thinking of You and 1 Sympathy). My runs the last two days have been short sleeved shirts and "the pants should have been shorts" runs. Spring weather is here!! Of course that also means rain. It's going to be nice tomorrow but then rain for the rest of the week.

On Saturday for the first time in a year and a half I have real race! A real one! One with a start line and a finish line and other people! I so can't wait! It's a social distancing one, within the current gathering limits outside (150 in Nova Scotia). I have to have a mask on at the start and finish, but can take it off when running. There are 3 starts times, 75 minutes apart from each other and you MUST finish within 60 minutes. With the shape I am in, I am thinking I will be 40-45 minutes (It's a 5km), but with it being a race, that always helps me go faster. I will have to wait and see on Saturday!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Ang, I'm glad you get to do a real race again since you enjoy them. Those must be motivating for you to keep running so you can enter and do well. I am so looking forward to spring and no hint of snow.

Marla, what's new with you?

I rode 10.25 miles on my bike today. I saw 4 other cyclists, one runner and one walker on the trail during that time. I will enjoy it while I can because once the tourists start arriving the trail is heavily used. I catch a trail head within a 1/4 mile from my house so that is nice. I hope to build up to 25-30 mile bike rides but need to take it slow and get my muscles and knees stronger.

My brother left yesterday so we have the house to ourselves again. I had my oldest sister over for dinner last night since she came over in the afternoon to chat. I am going with her to a meeting regarding my brother's finances at his bank tomorrow. She is the POA when he can no longer take care of things. He is there now but won't admit it. He is very uncooperative with her and won't share his financial information willingly. The meeting will be interesting since he will be there too. I'm an extra set of ears. Thursday we meet with the Hospice social worker and Steve to discuss him moving to a facility (assisted living). He is going to need more care and he and my middle sister are miserable living together in her home. It was meant to be temporary, about 2 months and he has been there over 3 months. Stressful for both of them.

Well I'm going to read and relax. I love retirement!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Good luck on your race Ang.

I'm glad your brothers had a good visit. Your bike sounds really cool. Fun for you to have!

So much rain here. Five inches less than a couple of weeks ago and now over three in the last two days - and it's still raining. Caleb's room (in the basement) took a lot of water today. His egress window just streamed it in all day. Caleb and I pulled everything out the best we could before he left for work. Except for the big 9x12 area rug. It was soaked and too heavy for me. Bernie drug it out when he got home. He will have to pull the laminate out and replace it as well. I'm worried about getting whatever is allowing the water in fixed. We have never had this problem in 15 years we've been here. Not even two years ago when there was devastating flooding. I don't know if it's just because of settling or what. What a mess.

I'm thinking I may be getting arthritis in my wrists and knees. Or something. I am getting shooting pains especially in my left wrist even just using it to lever myself up. And getting up off the floor requires a lot of extra pushing with my arms than it used to and my knees just scream. I'm kind of stunned. I'm only 46 and it's like ever since COVID I am just falling apart. Every week something new.

Rain go away!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Marla, could you have carpal tunnel syndrome? Any nerve tingling in your arms or hands? Arthritis feels like pain and stiffness in the wrist/thumb joint and possibly finger joints depending on how it manifests in your hands. The doctor could do xrays of knees and hands to see if the bones show arthritis. Read up on menopause too. Joint pain can occur during premenopause and menopause. Many women experience that including me. I do have arthritis every where though and mine started in my 30's in my thumb joints. If you are on any medications, side effects can include joint pain for some. It's painful and unpleasant.

I wonder if the ground is still frozen and the rain hits it and then just flows toward the house since it can't be absorbed in to the ground? Has the grading of the yard sunk and needs to be redone or some rock put around the house with the ground graded away from the house? What a mess. Sorry you are dealing with that. What a stressful year!

Things here aren't good either. My family is so dysfunctional! I just want to scream at my siblings who are much older than me to "grow up!". My brother and middle sister who live together are so difficult. I have to attend a meeting with them and hospice tomorrow morning that is going to be unpleasant. I'm taking donuts from the local bakery to give me something else to focus on. Emotional eating!

On top of a rough day, our airbnb in Atlanta canceled on us and refunded our money with out telling us. I contacted her through the site and asked why because we didn't initiate it. She said she has a stalker who is looking in her windows and won't leave her alone. Another woman and she has taken out an order of protection. Her husband had tried to intervene but no solution. She doesn't want renters at risk. Weird and crazy! We booked another one where we have the house to ourselves but it is more expensive. We also booked our trip to Alaska for end of July. Expensive year!

Well I'm tired and stressed. I hope you both have a great Thursday.

Jenny

• jrbanta
    Options
    This week isn't any better today. I will start a new beginning next week. I am going to have to keep my distance from my middle sister and brother by visiting once in awhile and staying briefly. If they begin to argue with each other or vent to me about the other, I need to leave. No words spoken to them will change the situation. They went and looked at an assisted living facility today fore Steve but he "needs to think about it". That means he won't make a decision to move. He researches everything but never chooses anything. He will talk about his "research" for 10+ years (no exaggeration) but never buy what he is researching. Now he wants to tour every assisted living facility in Traverse City even though the Hospice Social Worker did research on cost and availability for him. She highly recommended this place because of the younger clientele and the owners who are so caring. They will even make him his Vegan meals and buy organic veggies for him. He must have some mental health issues that keep him from making any level of decisions. It drives us all crazy and I'm tired of it. My sisters enable his behavior by tip toeing around him and allowing him to intimidate them. I'm not going to do that but I also don't want to yell at him when he is dying. I just need to keep visits brief and occasional.

Russ and I went and got library cards today. One from our town's library and one from Traverse City's library.

Baby Miles is due today but no arrival yet. Hopefully this weekend or they are going to induce at the end of next week. Full moon Sunday so maybe he will arrive then.

Have a nice weekend. Hope you are both well.

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Thinking good thoughts for you Jenny! Hopefully the baby safe and healthy and soon. That is something to look forward to. I'm sorry about the continuing difficulties with your siblings. Such a stressful situation all around.

I hadn't realized joint pain could be part of menopause. I definitely think I am at least starting menopause. I think the hair loss is both COVID related and menopausal. The horrible hot flashes, unable to sleep, increased anxiety, going on three months no period. What I had read it's not 'official' until it's been a year. But suddenly noticing this increased pain and suffering in my joints at the same time as those other symptoms makes more sense. I do believe I have some carpal tunnel, but only on the right side. The tingling and heaviness. Symptoms more in line with repetitive trauma. It's suddenly my left wrist that gives off this shooting pain when I put pressure on it (like leveraging to get up). Same with my knees - trying to get up off the floor is suddenly intense and a problem.

Mammogram Monday. I had put it off longer than normal. First sick, then recovering for so long, then just not wanting to go the hospital - because germs.

Bernie is tearing the floor out and getting supplies like he is ready to replace it. While I appreciate the fact that he is making moves like this won't be a ten year project - can we first make sure that he has addressed the issue that caused the leak? I am not interested in spending all that money and have it happen again next storm. But of course I can't say anything because then he will just stop and not do anything. Last week I had a rough week and at the end of it after not seeing a single meal shopped or cooked for by Bernie (he was off all week) I snapped at him that I was super excited for another Friday and another bowl of cereal, and then he snarls that my unreasonable expectations ruined his week off. Azz.

Can't believe it's Palm Sunday this weekend and Easter next weekend.

TGIF.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    Slept relatively ok - with the help of a slug of benedryl. I just wish I could get more sleep hours during the work week. It's just not enough to try to 'catch up'. I just ordered some 'cool jams' cooking sleepwear and sheets. We'll see if that assists in a positive way. I am really picky about how things feel.

Caleb's Europe trip voted to postpone to next summer. I'm glad they aren't just crossing their fingers and hoping this summer will work out - because it sure looks unlikely with all the closings still. I am also down because that may make it impossible for Hawaii next summer too. Or do I just go for it and tell him that will basically mean he won't be able to work at all next summer. I'm just running out of options. Next summer will be the summer between Zach's junior and senior year and I can't expect that Zach will be able to take up two weeks off after his college graduation when he will (hopefully) be needing to start his 'real' job in two more summers. And yes at this point for how long I have had to wait and how it will probably never happen again - if at all - I am going to pretend I am shooting for two weeks. Hmmft.

I am debating about getting Caleb on the lists for the vaccine. He could probably get it pretty quick (well the one that is ok for 16 year olds) since he works food industry because they are prioritized. Just not sure. I'm not usually so wishy washy about this stuff. In general if the meds support it - I go for it. Flu shot? Every year. I just keep remembering that after the first Gardisil shot Caleb had some reactions to it and a FB friend at the time her daughter had a major vaccine injury from it and has ended up fighting autoimmune encephalitis for the last however many years. She has gone from being wheel chair bound and having to go all over the US for treatment including chemo and immunotherapy. Crazy. From getting a vaccine. That's 'safe' and 'recommended'. So - here I am still hemming and hawing.

Have a great day. Sounds like sun today and more rain tomorrow. Joy. Not.
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I didn't know joint and muscle pain was part of menopause either. I just read it recently but have been suffering with it since my mid 30's. I started hot flashes, arthritis/joint pain around age 36-38 after I had Rory. My Mom began menopause/perimenopause after she had me at 35. The worst are the heat flushes/sweating when in bed. I'm taking a product I ordered called Provitalize. It is for menopause symptoms and has helped my night sweats when in bed. It is also a probiotic and my digestion and bloatedness is getting under control. I ordered 3 bottles to give myself 2-3 months to see if it helps me. I'm still on the first bottle of capsules. I saw it on an add on FB and then read up on it. It is suppose to help with weight loss too but not happening yet for me. Hopefully when weather is better and I'm outside and active.

I have been painting my master bath room vanity this weekend. Two coats of midnight blue on the vanity and I think it looks great! I have one coat on the drawers and two cabinet doors then I petered out. Tomorrow I will do second coats on the drawers and paint the other side of the two doors. It will take me a couple of days to get to the other two doors. I need to buy hardware and hope to be done by Friday. Then I will start on some small end tables I have down the basement. Easy to paint and finish.

Rory turns 26 today. Where has the time gone? No sign of Miles yet. I was hoping today so he could share a bday with Rory. He is over due but will be here by the end of the week one way or another. Halen turned 15 weeks today. She is so huggable and adorable. I can't wait to meet her in July.

Rain and snow flurries today with high winds. I took Charlie out mid day to pee and he turned around and went back in garage.

It is hard to plan vacations. Not my favorite thing to do. It's always the woman that has to do it too. Marla, you will find the older the boys get the harder it is to vacation all together. I'm hoping we will all be together at Jeff and Karah's wedding in the Fall. At least I don't have to coordinate everyone but I bet I will be expected to find accommodations. Hope not...

Enjoy your evening,
    Jenny
  • angf0679
    Options
    Jenny, sorry to hear your having issues with your family. I know how hard that can be. When my Uncle Garth died last year, we heard it third party. They never called my dad or my Aunt Joyce - Aunt Norma (his widow) only two surviving siblings.

I had a race!! A real race! It was definitely different from the way we had to line up, face masks at the start and finish, and the small amount there. It was capped at 150 - our current outdoor gathering limit. My goal was 40-45 minutes, which is what I have been averaging lately. I was thinking closer to 45 minutes, due to the hills in the park the race was in. I did it in 36:47!!!!!!!! I can't believe I went that fast. I can thank the people around me, I was trying to keep pace with.

Feeling the Monday blue today. I blame it being Monday and the rain last night and this morning. Unless it wasn't snow!

It could also be that it's 26 years ago today my Nanny died. Nanny was the only grandmother I knew as my other grandmother died when I was a toddler. She was only 64. I still get a little jealous of those that have a grandmother and I don't. It's a little less now that I'm in my 40s' then when I was in my later teens (I was 15 when she died) and into my 20's and 30's.

• jrbanta
    Options
    Family situations are always interesting. As of today, my brother is moving to assisted living on Friday. We are trying to gather furniture, bed linens, etc to furnish his apartment. I think it is a large studio apartment in an assisted living building. He will have a kitchenette with a microwave, small sink, and cabinets. I came home from my sister's today and painted a small coffee table that I was going to paint for my basement bunk room. I will repaint after he doesn't need anymore and put in my basement. I have a list of stuff to pull together in the pole barn and Russ and I will deliver on Friday afternoon. My sister is also contributing and luckily we saved some stuff from his house when we cleaned it out. Hospice is providing a hospital bed.

Congratulations on your running time, Ang! You cruised! Did it feel good to be running with people again?

I have an aunt, my Dad's oldest sister, that died 2-4 years ago and none of her children reached out to let cousins know. She lived in Florida. My Dad's parents died young before I was born. My maternal grandmother died when I was 7 and maternal grandfather when I was 11. I only saw them a handful of times in my life so I feel like I never had grandparents that were part of my life. I was always been envious of friends who knew their grandparents and even great grandparents. My kids have a similar situation. My Dad died when I was 12 so he wasn't in their lives. My Mom lived in a different state and we saw her once a year. She wasn't very grandmotherly either. Her dementia/alzheimers emerged when Rory was 3 years old so he doesn't have any memories of her except not knowing him and not being able to converse.

Well I'm tired from all the painting today. The drawers of my vanity are done and still working on the doors. The table needs to get done first so Steve can have it in his apartment. I bought the hardware for the vanity and I can't wait to get it all put back together. Hopefully by the weekend.

Miles still hasn't joined us. They will induce Wednesday if he doesn't come before then. The doctor scraped her membrane today so maybe tonight!

Jenny
  • angf0679
    Options
    I got in!!! I'm running the virtual BOSTON MARATHON!!!!!

They opened the virtual to 70,000 people - no qualifying times required. That means everyone like me, who has no hope of ever running it in person tried. We crashed the website right at the time that the registration opened. It took 25 minutes and refreshing and trying multiple times, but I got in!!!!!!!!!!! I am on cloud 9 and so excited! I'm going to get that unicorn medal!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Yay Ang! That is wonderful for you. I don't understand how a virtual run works. Do you run with your own camera on Zoom or just report how far you did and time?

Miles has not entered the world yet. He must be content in his little womb.

I finished painting the table for Steve and worked on a couple of cabinet doors for the master vanity today. Tomorrow I will finish the two doors and start on the last two doors. I should be done by Thursday or Friday, hopefully. Then on to the next painting project, either a dresser or end table.

I'm Zooming with my MN knitting group in a few minutes.

Hope you are both having a good week.

Jenny