WaistAways-July Chat 2021

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,013 Member
    Happy Tuesday!

It is sweltering here too, and terribly humid, so a quiet day will be had, I suspect.

@DD265
    Your bloody good life program sounds wonderful - and the productive, not overwhelming day is an excellent way to sum up a good day. Getting more productive without adding to anxiety is sometimes hard - even though the anxiety that goes along with doing new things, meeting deadlines, or mastering a difficult skill isn't always something to worry about, as long as it is not overwhelming. Any program that prevents that from happening is worth trying. My closest friend is currently training as a mindfulness coach/leader/whatever you want to call it. She has been going through a terrible period of stress and anxiety (definitely overwhelming!) and this is helping her a great deal. Whether or not she goes on to help others, it is certainly making a difference for her. I'm glad when you and others on the team bring up the ways to work on stress and anxiety - it is certainly a big reason for emotional eating. Finding tools other than stuffing ourselves is so important!

I think I'll go to the air conditioned grocery store today. That'll be my excitement for Tuesday!
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    So many tempting snacks.... I must resist!

I allowed the kitty glue to keep me in bed this morning instead of doing my workout. *sigh*

Even though it's ridiculously hot and humid here, the plan for after work is to replace some of the wooden boards on the old staircase landing with some boards in better condition we kept from the demo of the upper deck. I will definitely be going for a swim to cool off after that.

K, this post has distracted me from the snacks. Mission accomplished. Back to work!
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,052 Member
    Greetings Friends!

Hoping for cooler days for our friends across the pond who are struggling with insane heat. I almost feel guilty for sitting here with a cardigan on as it's a bit chilly here!

So I've finally connected up my "new" Fitbit. But I've forgotten how to find out my Fitbit email address - can anyone help me with this? It's a Charge 2, so quite an old model - and it sits quite nicely on my wrist, almost lady-like. I didn't realise how much more manly my smart watches have been of late. Hopefully this will keep going for the next year or so.

When I reported my steps and exercise stats for last week, I was struck by how few steps I took on an average day. This must change, so this is my goal for July.

So, I would like to welcome or newcomers and returners to this marvellous team.

My name is Yinka and I am an online English language teacher, a business trainer and an intercultural communications coach. I work from home - except when I am helping out a couple of days a week at our local museum café. I am currently training for a 25K London Bridges Trek in September, in aid of the Multiple Sclerosis Society. I live in Bewdley - a small market town in Worcestershire UK - and I am married with an adult son who lives in Virginia USA. And we have a cantankerous elderly Jack Russell cross called Edie, who rules our house.

My weight journey has been stagnant for a while, but I am seeing small chinks of light in my current activities - eating right (mostly) and regular (5-6 times a week) exercise. My current favourite workouts are by Gillian Girvan, available on her YouTube channel. I am currently halfway through her Epic 1 programme, and I love it.

And I've also heard that my favourite Zumba coach, Louis, is starting classes again on the 19th of July - I am so excited!

Once again, welcome one and all!
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    too hot here in Massachusetts. Eating on target today, not much exercise. Another day of the heat then relief. I've been living up to my username...eggs at breakfast and a boiled egg in my salad (I love that).
  • jugar
    Before too much time goes by, here is a short report on the stepping and exercising trackers for the end of June!

June Week 4
    Total Steps: 351,635 - that's around 268 km or 161 miles. I figure that would be about half way from Fairbanks to Anchorage - just to inspire Gary on his trip to Alaska!
    Top 3 steppers:
    @KellyBgetsfit @jugar @sunny9847

JUNE TOTAL 1,633,098 steps! That's equivalent to 1244 km or 746 miles - all the way round trip from Fairbanks to Anchorage! Go team!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,119 Member
    Tuesday exercise

9,349 steps + 15 minutes yoga

• ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,119 Member
    @gak71 Congrats on day 1.. sounds like a big milestone for you to kick that habit to the curb!

What are you most looking forward to about Alaska?

I am exhausted tonight... bed is calling!!
  • eggfreak
    edited June 2021
    gak71 wrote: »
    This will be my first day in many years with no soda! I shifted from Coke to Diet Dew this year to help with weight loss and today I have shifted to water. My 8:30am Dew was the hardest to get past but once I was able skip that one the rest of the day has been much easier. No headache yet and I’m only feeling slightly irritable!!

I don't think that I was ever hooked on sodas but I do know that for whatever reason, plain water, isn't cutting it for me now. But I do drink a lot of water...I buy the crystal light lemonade big packages from BJs, and tap just a little bit into my mason jar of water, heavily diluted, it gives just enough taste that I'll drink it right up. -a package lives on my counter and another in my office drawer.

on another subject, I had a fabulous salad once in Isla Mujeres Mexico - I remember a few thinly sliced strawberries & some blackberries, candied pecans or walnuts, greens but I can't remember what the cheese was...I'm thinking it might have been goat cheese or even a goat cheese dressing. Strawberries in season right now - I'll try to recreate the salad this weekend and report back if I get it right.
  • gak71
    gak71 Posts: 192 Member
    @gak71 Congrats on day 1.. sounds like a big milestone for you to kick that habit to the curb!

What are you most looking forward to about Alaska?

I am exhausted tonight... bed is calling!!

Thank you, nothing about losing weight has been easy and eliminating the soda has been the hardest thing to change to this point.

In Alaska I’m most looking forward to the hiking. We’ll be doing a lot of it and I love being on the trail in the wild! I’ve grown up in flat, hot, and humid Florida my whole life so I also love the cooler weather and seeing the mountains. We haven’t been on a real vacation since January of 2020 so it will be awesome to start getting back to normal! My parents came to town yesterday and will be staying with the kids ….. this is an adult only trip!
  • jugar
    Happy Wednesday!
    I forgot to do the nightly reminder last night - I'll get right to it! I'm sure you remember, but just in case...

Due today:
    @PlaneMonkey
    @AshenMoon
    @EvMakesChanges
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @MoStacy

overdue:
    @graceojo999

Thanks!
  • jugar
    gak71 wrote: »
    In Alaska I’m most looking forward to the hiking. We’ll be doing a lot of it and I love being on the trail in the wild! I’ve grown up in flat, hot, and humid Florida my whole life so I also love the cooler weather and seeing the mountains. We haven’t been on a real vacation since January of 2020 so it will be awesome to start getting back to normal! My parents came to town yesterday and will be staying with the kids ….. this is an adult only trip!

This sounds wonderful. Hiking in the forests and mountains is one of the most refreshing things ever - and Alaska certainly has plenty of both. Your birthday and the whole trip are going to be amazing!
    eggfreak wrote: »
    on another subject, I had a fabulous salad once in Isla Mujeres Mexico - I remember a few thinly sliced strawberries & some blackberries, candied pecans or walnuts, greens but I can't remember what the cheese was...I'm thinking it might have been goat cheese or even a goat cheese dressing. Strawberries in season right now - I'll try to recreate the salad this weekend and report back if I get it right.

That sounds like a memorable salad. I make a similar one and use mashed feta in yogurt as the dressing - goat cheese works well too - a nice soft one. Can't wait for the fresh strawberries - due any day now around here. Apparently it is not a great year for them, but I'm sure there will be some. Enjoy!
  • PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    CW 192.6

Welcome back @Gidgitgoescrazy! You will get back on track in no time. Empty nesting must be a huge change.

@eggfreak I make a similar salad with baby spinach, sliced strawberries or raspberries/blackberries, toasted pecans or walnuts, red onion and chunks of goat cheese with a drizzle of balsamic and olive oil. Absolutely love it. It's great with a maple vinaigrette as well. I usually eat it with poached salmon. so good!!

• eggfreak
    CW 192.6

@eggfreak I make a similar salad with baby spinach, sliced strawberries or raspberries/blackberries, toasted pecans or walnuts, red onion and chunks of goat cheese with a drizzle of balsamic and olive oil. Absolutely love it. It's great with a maple vinaigrette as well. I usually eat it with poached salmon. so good!!

mmmm that sounds good and very similar to what I remember except for the balsamic dressing, I think I would have remembered that. @jugar that dressing you describe with feta & yogurt sounds interesting...I do remember it was a creamy dressing.
  • eggfreak
    Well hello ! If its okay with @Jugar I think I will rejoin.

My name is Vikki, and I fell off the wagon, got run over by it, and drowned my sorrows in donuts...

I was really embarrassed to come back, because I gained almost 10lbs back, but I'm over it...

My current weight is 169, and I'd like to change my weigh in days to Thursday.

My goal is to get under 160 by my 50th bday... ( Aug 31) so Ive got 8 weeks to be on point.

Welcome back Vikki, I think you've got a reasonable goal...you can do it! Thursday weigh ins are the best in my opinion, you can ease off (a little) over the weekend and still have Mon Tue & Wed to rectify things, ha! I've also been absent but am reinvigorated with an August goalpost as well.
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    @jugar I got woken up at 5, but somehow I didn't manage to step on the scale. Mabel was very cranky. I will weigh in tomorrow.

@Gidgitgoescrazy I was actually worried about you! I don't remember you saying you were taking a break but I noticed you were missing. Welcome back!

I loved yesterday's workout, but boy did it leave me sore!!! I am going to do piyo to stretch out. It's raining so my steps will be low today. My eating has been on par the past few days. I am feeling great.
This discussion has been closed.