Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Sorry you're being forced to take a day off instead of working from home when it is OK for you to work from home on other days! I mean... ugh!!!

34g arugula, 260g tomatoes, 20 Cal worth of "blue menu" zesty italian dressing while waiting for the red potatoes and the carrots to boil so that I can "grill" the strip loin steak that will go with them!

351g raw, 308g cooked... I snagged 126g... the rest went to the parental! Plus 280g red potatoes and hmmm.... maybe 600g of carrots :blush:

Oh: and 37g dried strawberries right after.... me thinks I've got me bunnies today!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Now that dinner sounds good!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Today we're having patty melts for lunch, which is easy cause I precook the burgers. We have hamburgers on Wednesday, so I just cook six instead of three, put the other three in the fridge, and warm them for the patty melts on Friday.

I'm doing a lot of cleaning in the upstairs room, as Eldest Son is going to move in this weekend, and it's time, anyway. I like to move furniture and clean Under and Behind stuff about once a month, and I don't think I've moved some of this stuff since I moved in last year. Cat hair does get everywhere. So I'm not going to work out at the gym today, I think I'm getting enough of one.

Tonight is carnitas and such, which is easy enough to do, since the carnitas are precooked. I just have to spread them out on a pan, drizzle them with their sauce, and frizzle them a bit under the broiler to get that lovely texture. Then dress them on tortillas with pico de gallo and roasted peppers and a lime squeeze, and they are good.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,612 Member
    Options
    love reading your meal plans @AlexandraFindsHerself1971 - the care in which you describe everything says so much about the food you serve. Hope your cleaning is going well!

@conniewilkins56 You know how we need balance in our lives? My cooking plans today are almost sure to balance out that nice dinner @PAV8888 shared. >:)

I just finished off my freezer supply of "Breakfast Daal" - hoping to pick up what I need to make the next batch in the morning. Moong daal, spinach, pumpkin, bit of ginger, garlic and onion and Indian spices. So delicious! Handles freezing so well and if I take it out before a good walk, and put it in a sink with some warm water, it is all ready to reheat when I get back.

But that isn't today's dinner plans. Haven't worked that out yet - though I'm kind hoping for some of that cauliflower rice! with ????
  • PAV8888
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I will be good tonight, I promise :smiley:

Just for Connie, it will be something "silly" such as frozen sockeye salmon (skin on, bone off fillets, straight to the pan.... at home I would do pink salmon instead of sockeye... but dad has 'standards' and wants tastier even if it means higher co$ts in terms of calories and dollars!). Probably with carrots and potatoes again like yesterday (I had two two lb bags of carrots in dad's fridge that I am trying to empty before I head home for a week...)

But, yes, I did start the day with 200 Cal (58g) worth of "fruit jellies"... you know the little orange, pear, and other fruit type shapes... https://caffeinecam.com/presidents-choice-real-fruit-jellies-225g-7-9oz-imported-from-canada/

<-- by the way, I don't know what these guys are smoking... but this price is like 6 to 10 times more than what I pay for this product depending on full price vs sale.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    But, yes, I did start the day with 200 Cal (58g) worth of "fruit jellies"... you know the little orange, pear, and other fruit type shapes...

Sounds like you got all your bunnies in for the day with breakfast!!! B)

• lauriekallis
    Options
    Found dinner! Picked up a couple of super fresh looking zuchinis at the store - yellow and green, sauteed them in a tsp of olive oil and a dab of butter, with a red pepper, a carrot, some ruby gem potatoes and then added veggie sausage left in the fridge. A spoonful of sour cream and avjar (red pepper spread) made it all feel pretty luxurious. Ate half tonight - half left for tomorrow - just about right at 400 calories for a big plateful of beautiful colours! (not just green :) )
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is chicken patty sandwiches for lunch, and then peanut pork for dinner, with rice and Thai spinach. Eldest son may order himself a pizza while we have that. His palate is more autistic than mine.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Dinner tonight was turkey kielbasa, broccoli with a slice of cheese, tossed salad and another slice of the yummy cornbread!….dessert/snack is going to be walnuts and chocolate hummus!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Wait what? Did you pollute your beautiful green trees with CHEESE?!?!?!

Laurie: your dinner sounds excellent... for ONE sitting, with ZERO left-overs! :wink:

I did go for the salmon pieces (cooked straight from frozen... this is like a game changer for me: do the non skin side first on the hot grilling pan, then flip to the skin side, season... and 4-6 minutes per side later serve!), with carrots (nuked from fresh), sting green beans (nuked from frozen), and mashed potatoes (hot watered from cardboard box!)

I still have a bowl of some mashed potatoes with carrots and green beans and garlic for a snack later tonight!

qs3wm6pakvj8.png

• conniewilkins56
    Options
    Mashed potatoes do NOT come out of a box but cheese does belong on broccoli….it was all nice and melty and gooey!……changed dessert to a chocolate rice cake with peanut butter!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Mashed potatoes do NOT come out of a box but cheese does belong on broccoli
    where else would mashed potatoes come from? :mrgreen:
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm a little ashamed to admit...I actually prefer instant mashed potatoes. But I blame this on the fact that my mom served homemade mashed potatoes with dinner nearly every night when I was growing up, and I didn't taste the instant variety until I was older, so to me, they were like a special exotic treat 😂

Also frequently found on our dinner table was broccoli topped with American cheese. It's a classic!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    why oh why are there not "smiley" emojis available along with the "likes" and "hugs" and "disagrees" !
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    We buy Bob Evans mashed potatoes. They are in the cold section or deli depending on which Walmart I’m at. They are actually close to the real thing and they cook in the microwave. Super easy!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    We buy Bob Evans mashed potatoes. They are in the cold section or deli depending on which Walmart I’m at. They are actually close to the real thing and they cook in the microwave. Super easy!

Shhhhh….I use these a lot!….I like them on top of Shepherds Pie and as a “ crust” on Chicken Pot Pie!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Mashed potatoes do NOT come out of a box but cheese does belong on broccoli
    where else would mashed potatoes come from? :mrgreen:

They grow these things in the ground called potatoes!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Pasta tonight!….
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Shoot!…scratch the pasta, I forgot I have corn on the cob I need to fix!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Cheese sauce thing-gummy turned into Mac & cheese with homegrown wobbly wobbly carrots & sugar snap peas - was delicious - added bacon!
    The potatoes were just boiled - so tiny - only took a 10 mins! Added lots of chopped mint - is taking over veg container! - & some butter!
    Bacon & butter - my cooking saviours!
    Tonight is Pizza - takeaway with salad, coleslaw & potato salad - too hot today to cook!