Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Good morning!

It is sprinkling here today, the weather lady said this was probably our last chance of ran this season and we are only expecting 1/4 of an inch.

@runsonespresso I really like the idea of talking about not doing things because I am embarrassed about my weight gain or more so, my fitness level. When I am going on vacay in May, some of my Mom's friend are coming to see me, and my first thought was "oh, they are going to see how fat I got". I LOVE Oiselle pocket joggers and their longer shorts with pockets, they are the only ones that fit. I always have my eye out for them on used clothing sites since they are so pricey new.

I was thinking how lazy I have gotten after work lately. Pretty much change, maybe do 1 or 2 things and then my butt is planted on the couch. I usually get home around 4:30 and dinner is at 5:30 ish...then an episode of Knight Rider, those are an hour and it is time to get ready for bed it seems. I feel like I should be doing more.

Got a WOG in this AM, working towards a JOG 20 min straight. I wore some old Hoka's this AM and my ankles and lower legs were really working. I think my ankles wobble a lot more with all the cushion. I quit running in them a couple years back after 2 bouts of severe IT band issues while wearing them. There were other factors involved I am sure, but since I quit, my IT band tightness is normal. I seem to do better with the firmer foams, currently loving Saucony endorphins right now.

Food was meh yesterday. I started off ok, but at lunch DH and I ordered a goat cheese hamburger and as we were picking it up from the grill (we were eating at the chow hall) I saw it was allegedly 1100 calorie.. damn damn damn. DH loves to snack in front of the TV, he can eat a big dinner and then get a big bowl of PB pretzels, pub mix, etc and just crunch away. He is not immune though and has developed a bit of a gut...there is a top about body image...why does it seem men don't care about having a gut? He just goes out and buys a bigger shirt or pants. So yesterday was a bust.

Lead guy is gone for the rest of the week at work so the kiddo and I are muddling through the best we can. Quite humorous. We get a long great and she is still a good worker. Seems she just needed a different leadership style and a job with a lot of flexibility.

Best get to it, have 3 more going out the door in 2 months.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @quilteryoyo Yes! Great topic, could probably be its own podcast LOL I have always had the same issue with pants. wider hips, bigger butt, and small waist. My measurements have always fallen into the actual definition of curvy with my waist being 8-10" smaller than bust and hips. I remember one year when we had biometric testing the woman measured my hips and then lectured me about having a waist measurement over 34 or whatever. I ignored her because I'm like *kitten* you measured my hips!

@CMorning99 yes, that's another good point about not wanting to do or see people when you don't feel fit. And as for men, I think some of that is related to patriarchy and media. Ever notice how all the middle age actors are called hot dad bods but for women it's like she gained weight! or whatever other crap they say about them.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,387 Member
    @RunsOnEspresso - I also like the somewhat longer (7") running shorts but more because I am just not comfortable in the short shorts... My favorites are Lucy shorts but they are no longer a company (NorthFace bought them out, were supposeedly continuing the sales but then all disappeared) The Lucy shorts never creep up and they were one of the first to have 2 side pockets in their shorts and capris. When they were closing I bought all the ones I liked in every color, available in my size and I am still wearing them!
    @quilteryoyo - I have the same issue with clothes fitting right but for different reasons. I don't have much of a butt and my waist to butt ratio is small. Most pants, even now, have a small waist compared to the butt and to get the waist to fit the butt is huge... I have found some brands have tried to create styles for different body types in the last few years. Ann Taylor is one. They are expensive but I bought a couple of pairs of jeans on sale that fit perfectly and have lasted now for several years. When I was working I would have to have all my pants tailored to get them to fit correctly.
    Another issue I had along those same lines was when I lost so much weight and literally had to get new clothes (old suits, etc could not be taken in anymore) I had the hardest time seeing myself in a smaller size. I would invariably pick out things that were way too large. It has taken many years to get beyond that and I still at times think oh I need an XL in this when really I need a small. It is tough to reset our image of ourselves.
    @CMorning99 - so glad your kiddo is working out! Sometimes all it takes is someone being understanding for another to flourish.
    Since we started the eating between 8:30am and 5:30 pm my dh no longer snacks at night. Once in a great while we will have a dessert or a piece of chocolate but usually not. I am still trying to encourage him to go for a short walk in the evenings with me after dinner but trying not to nag. Since he started new diabetes medications and his numbers have dropped well into the normal range he no longer seems to have much incentive to change. 'Better living through chemistry...
    Also I cannot run on cushioned shoes. Even walking in them makes my knees hurt.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,948 Member
    @CMorning99 It is so hard to get out and exercise after work. I can do it, but it is hard. I have to go before I fix dinner or sit down, or it just won't get done. Good job on getting in the wogs. That's a great way to get back into running. Glad your new worker is working out.

@RunsOnEspresso That's hilarious about her fussing at your waist size when it was your hips. I think I would have pointed that out. AND I'm sure she had worse measurements. They usually do.

@shanaber I like the longer shorts too. I think I'm too old for short shorts. :wink: I lost weight during the pandemic and have yet to go buy new clothes. I need to, but at the time all the dressing rooms were closed and I had no idea what size I needed. I didn't want to have to take everything back, so just didn't buy anything. Guess that saved me money. I'm glad your DH has his numbers under control, but wish he'd get interested in walking with you again. Just keep asking. You never know.

Oh no @Avidkeo . I didn't know that. I hope you are on the mend and get well quickly. I never lost my sense of taste or smell either.
  • shanaber
    @Avidkeo - I had no idea you had Covid! I hope you feel better so soon! Did your family all get it too?
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Good morning!

@avidkeo I am starting to notice people I know who have made it through the whole pandemic without so much as a cold are starting to get it. I suspect it has to do with the relaxed attitude to it. I was reading that Boston is recommending mask wear again, I guess the marathon spread some germs.

We had rain! I am not sure how much we got, probably at least the .25 the promised. It drizzled all day and I thought it was bust, but overnight we had several big heavy cloud bursts and a couple today so far as well. So happy about it, but damn the weeds are going to be back.

We got the first draft of the house plan to look at. Couple fixes and a couple areas we just aren't sure about (like no butlers pantry). I hate food in the cupboards because they are usually high and deep and make it impossible to see what you have. Our first draftsman who tried for a week, had good ideas and would make suggestions...this new one, is literal and does what we say, even if it is obv that something does not work (like doors that are going to bump into each other).

The county got back on the split. Now they are saying we might have to make some drainage improvements. Why? The land is undeveloped and has been that way for 50 years, not to mention it doesn't rain here LOL. So now we wait to see what they say.

Today I am going to make an effort to get into that neurology clinic. I was going to give up but I think the universe is saying no because for the last 24 hours 3 of my fingers have suddenly been mad tingling. I wonder if it is my neck, I haven't been able to turn my head in 2 months, I just assume it stress and knots.

No WOG this AM due to the rain and I was just generally running behind. I haven't slept to my alarm clock all week but I was later than normal getting up. Grey cat's eye seems to be bothering him, he is squinting and sucking it back in (or it is way smaller). There are no more obv open sores. Last night though he started to almost neurotically groom his face, almost frantically. I had to stop him because I was worried he might catch a nail or reinfect the eye. I told DH I feel like the cats are both ticking time bombs without a clock...I am just on edge waiting for the next emergency. I am so anxious about my trip in May, DH is going to be looking after the boys himself and he just isn't as observant and I worry something will happen...or worse if we lose one while I am gone. But I can't live in fear.

Best get to it, I am off for 3 days next week :)
  • quilteryoyo
    @CMorning99 I'm glad you got some rain and that there is progress on the house plans. I hope you got into the neurology clinic and got some answers. Sometimes running behind is the only running I get done too. :lol: I hope your cats have a lot more quality life left in them. It is hard to not be anxious, but you are right, you can't live in fear....and you have to live - take the trip. Enjoy your three days off next week!
  • shanaber
    @CMorning99 - I would push for the butler's pantry too. I can't reach most of thee cupboards in my kitchen so there is very little food storage there. I have most all of it in the hall cupboards and I have installed these drawers from the Container Store that have doubled the space available and make it easy to reach/find the items in the back.
    I hope you can get away and enjoy yourself. I would be worrying too but you really need to put it aside to relax and enjoy.

Our dd is here for the weekend to visit a friend who had moved back from Australia. She is staying with us tonight so we get to enjoy her for a bit before taking her into LA.

Opps - just realized I typed this all in last night and never posted it. Guess I really was tired 🥱
  • quilteryoyo
    Enjoy your daughter's visit @shanaber !
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    @shanaber yeah the whole family got it.

Our girls friend who lives across the street got it Thursday week ago. Jessica and Katie were at my mums for Easter weekend, and Katie started getting a runny nose on Monday. Tested her Tuesday, positive. My mum tested positive on Tuesday as well (symptomatic by then) Tested Jessica Wednesday, positive. I was OK but very tired, had had an awful weekend Easter weekend with 18 call outs to work. Assumed it was that. At 12 on Wed I was exhausted walking from the ward back to the department. Talked with my boss about it. My rapid tests were all negative at this point. Decided to go home. By Wed night I was full body aches, headache etc. Rapid was positive Thursday morning. Ian had avoided it but was positive on Saturday.

NZ were so lucky. We didn't have covid for basically 2 years. The Omicron hit and its just swept through.

I seem to be on the mend. Down to a cold now. Though I get tired so fast.
  • quilteryoyo
    @Avidkeo I hope all of your family is on the mend by now. Omicron does seem to spread so must faster and doesn't really care if you had the vaccine or not....at least it feels that way.
  • shanaber
    @Avidkeo - I hope everyone is feeling better and no one has any long coved issues!
    I have to say we kind of feel like unicorns in that we have remained covid free. But then we don't have kids at home and really don't go out much. We are also continuing to mask up regardless of the mandates and rules being lifted. I have actually been pleasantly surprised at ho many people are still masking inside the stores.

Had a lovely, very short visit with our dd. It was more than we expected as she was actually coming to see a friend and we figured we would just see her for a few hours before taking her to meet up with her friend. She ended up spending Friday afternoon and night with us and we took her up to her friend's around lunch time. We got take out from our favorite taco place Friday night and donuts on Saturday morning. She and I had a really nice walk where we could talk about all the things.

Today I took a hike/walk with a young friend from Agility class and her pup. We have known her and Jeep for almost 9 years and never had the pups together outside of class although we have talked about it. We met up at a trail around a lake 15-20 minutes from my house that I never even knew existed. It was nice and even a little chilly with the wind blowing so hard but it was 80F by 9am! The next few days are supposed to be blistering hot again. Ugh...
  • quilteryoyo
    @shanaber Glad your daughter stayed longer than expected and you had such a nice visit with her and your friend from agility class.
  • shanaber
    @swenson19d - how are the pups doing and that new little kitty?
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    edited April 2022
    shanaber wrote: »
    @swenson19d - how are the pups doing and that new little kitty?
    Okay. Kev is at training another week. Sandy is over her poops but has a sore on her side. I swear its a bot fly. I'll call the vet today. Maybe Should have gone to vet school instead. Baby cat tater tot Malory is doing good. Playing, romping, and being cuddly. She loves Bear and Cori. Bear had been her protector. She still has poops but is still on meds, 2 twice a day. Scratches anyone?

I'm working on finals and violin for a thing... uh a recital. Love it when words escape you? I am suppose to record myself since it all sounds like notes to me and not music. Perhaps I'll, Ok I will share it. It won't be perfect. I was very slow to get my anxiety down and confidence up. So... ya know and I have a thing where I get overstimulated and I have that sensory processing thing that goes with ASD. I feel like I hyper focus on everything and it become unintelligible in my head.

Ive been up since 230. No Idea why. Fingers crossed the vet can get me in today. Ima obsess over the BOT FLY. But i'm trying to leave it alone. Occasionally Sandy will jump up like something is getting her... grrrr. Bot flys are cool (ish) but I don't want one in my dog.

ETA
    Ive been working with Sandy since I dont have Kev in the way. Yesterday we started Find It- with my shoes. she did good. Service dog!!! Trainer said Kev won't make it as a therapy dog if he cant control that barker. haha! she took him out and he barks in the car at people and other dogs. haha! I said "I Know Isnt IT CUUUTE!" its a social no-no for doggos. dern. I liked the car barker. Maybe it'll help them not bark at walkers. I have no idea how to curtail that in the old dog. Leash and drag her but inside I guess. Squirt bottle worked well with her too.
  • quilteryoyo
    I'm glad that the pets are doing well @swenson19d . It is hard to make them quit something they shouldn't do that you think is cute. I, personally, hate it when Tippy barks in the car/truck at other dogs. It hurts my ears. Tippy loves to play "find it," but I don't do it with her enough and she's over it after 2 or three times. Good luck with the violin recital. Looking forward to hearing your piece.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    edited April 2022
    I'm glad that the pets are doing well @swenson19d . It is hard to make them quit something they shouldn't do that you think is cute. I, personally, hate it when Tippy barks in the car/truck at other dogs. It hurts my ears. Tippy loves to play "find it," but I don't do it with her enough and she's over it after 2 or three times. Good luck with the violin recital. Looking forward to hearing your piece.

I found 3 treats that she loves. Both dogs are food driven and I get 110% focus when we are learning. Chicken jerky, freeze dried chicken, and chicken cranberry treats all from Whole Hearted. She knows its serious when I get these out. Baby cat had eaten most of the freeze dried chicken. She is so picky. Some day she'll eat better and I miss the cat crunchy treat days as food.
    Yesterday DD told sandy "get out of the kitchen Sandy" in the calmest voice and out she went. Dh is the only one who violates the feeding rules and wonders why Sandy is on him when he has food. Sandy's bark is nice and deep. Kevin has a higher pitch and you can feel his bark pierce your ears. So hopefully we dial that back.

Bear and Tater
    tgwqg6cdf8td.jpeg
    Sandy and Mal coming back from the vet for poops
    i444qa2e6lrv.jpeg
  • shanaber
    Hi @swenson19d! Love the pictures and how well all the critters get along. Mallory cat has beautiful markings and such a sweet face ❤️
    I hope you got an answer to Sandy's wound. I had to look up Bot Fly - seems they are pretty rare in the US. There was a case in FL though of a moment that got one in her groin while on her honeymoon in Belize and they had to remove it surgically - yikes!

I have taught Hobbes 'no bark' sort of... I use it at home (gardeners, mailman, etc.) and in the car. Mostly I need to see the person he will bark at when we are in the car and tell him no bark and when he doesn't he gets a treat. He still wants to bark at home, guarding the house, but at least I can get him to his bed and calmer than before. He will also bark if he hears delivery trucks on the street whether they are at our house or not. Interestingly he never barks at them or the mailman when we see them outside. I really wish it were something I had worked on when he was younger. That and training not to go crazy with the doorbell or a knock...

Hope the recital goes well and looking forward to seeing the video! I was listening to a podcast the other day and thought of you. They were talking about things you can do to keep your mind healthy and holding off dementia - learning a new language and learning a musical instrument were at the top of the recommendations.
    Good luck with your finals! I am sure you will do great!
  • quilteryoyo
    @swenson19d Tippy is very food driven too. Love the pictures of Sandy and Mallory. They are too cute.

@shanaber I wish I had worked on no bark and "come." She does the latter if she feels like it. LOL