Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 785 Member
    Violin recital was okay. I'll pass on sharing it. But will offer a cute video of Kevin and Taters playing.
    https://youtu.be/HFcdv4eQITY

I have all of May to focus on violin, dogs, cats, & cleaning.

Cori goes to the vet this AM. He hurt from fighting. I'll have to make him come in in the evenings. He's been good about coming in on his own, figured last night it'd be no different. He won't let anyone touch him, but drank milk and will purr with gentle pets. I'll set a live trap for the stray male that is causing havoc and have him neutered and release him... unless it appears that he could be rehomed.

@shanaber the trainer got most of the bark out of Kevin. He's allowed 2 barks and no more. We (I) haven't been able to contain it to 2 when he is in protective mode. Runs outside like a mad man after the wind barking with the depth of a baritone titan. She has gotten him to calm down too. I have no idea how you communicate all this in 3 weeks to a dog. He still struggles barking at people when he is in the car/truck. It makes me giggle, so I won't be of any use getting that out of him. I may try taking him places in a parking lot to work with him. But not knowing how the trainer does it, it's hard to add to or reinforce it.

DH & I had a heart to heart. It had become apparent to him that he was an a hole. So, we'll see if he can make improvements. I told him that I'd send him to the dog trainer for 3 weeks if it'd help.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,940 Member
    @swenson19d Will the trainer work with you? Seems like she would want you to know how to reinforce Kevin's learning. Glad your recital is over. Also glad DH realizes he's not being very nice. How's his elbow?
  • swenson19d
    @quilteryoyo Yes I can ask the trainer. I asked her various questions about every other day. We do have a follow up with her for an hour. I think that is after Sandy is trained. Dh's elbow is healing. The incision isn't closed yet and its been 4 weeks. Doc wasnt concerned. He mowed the yard yesterday, on the riding mower and he said he was fine. I was surprised. I figured that kind of vibration would hurt. It did when I thought the massager would be a good idea for my leg.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Good afternoon!

Another day another dollar.

Weekend was unremarkable. We had huge winds 65+ knots and a couple trees went down. DH and I took the truck back up the ranch after spending $185 to fill it's tank. Ran some errands and grabbed lunch at a meh sushi place, our restaurants are just so so here. I came home and took a 3 hr nap and then went to bed early. Sunday the winds raged on so we just stayed inside and cleaned around the house.

I have been rather unmotivated at work. Unfortunate since have quite the to-do list. Nothing hard, just boring stuff. I pushed through some tasks that were overdue, oops, and then futz'd around reading old blogs LOL. I got up to 2015 where I was in a similar funk.

I skipped tracking all weekend and the scale was way up again this AM. I was also quite dehydrated which means higher weight for sure. I was going to add a layer onto my renewed habits, but alas, it seems I am just going to try again with counting...but not today. I was stressed, I was having anxiety about money. After I spent all that money on the gas and then did some shopping, fun stuff for me, the reality of retirement and a low paycheck hit. I had myself a solid first world pity party.

It is all very stupid as today I was offered another job post retirement, IDK. It is a teaching job which I would be good at, but right now, nothing sounds good. It will all work out for sure. I just need to chill out LOL. I think mentally I am already in vacay mode even though I have 11 more days.

Tomorrow we try again...cause these pants .. oof.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,384 Member
    Oh @swenson19d I love that video of Kevin and Mallory! He is just so gentle with her! The parking lot sounds like a good idea. I would just use whatever command you have been using to limit his barking otherwise and reward when he does. I would love to know how she got him to calm down too. Maybe I could use it on Beaux when he is here. He is really calm when Hobbes isn't around but thinks he needs to play/roughhouse constantly otherwise. He just needs an off switch for when we come in the house.
    Glad you had a good conversation with your dh. Hope he doesn't have to go see the away trainer... do you remember that old Doris Day movie where she used a dog training book to train her husband 😂😂
    @CMorning99 -wow we had winds but nothing like that. I hear they are coming again up your way in the next few days if you believe the forecasters. I think retirement may be ok for you especially if you have the house finished. I was surprised at how far SSI goes and we don't really have much of a house payment any more. You can make it work I am sure.

I am finally down a couple of pounds after gaining I think from all that salt. I had the leftover teriyaki for dinner tonight but it really didn't taste good reheated so I didn't eat much of it. I was low on calories with all my activity today and I have been hungry at night several times lately so I decided to have a protein drink. I usually just have it as my post run snack but I needed something that wasn't terrible, like cookies or the cheese cake dh bought for mother's day. Hopefully the extra protein will help.
    I have PT tomorrow and then we are going to get our 2nd booster. We were going to go today but dh misplaced our vaccination cards. He looked all afternoon and did not find them so who knows where they are. Fortunately I saved pictures and also pulled down the 'smart' card the state provides electronically so we don't actually need the paper cards. He was sure he was going to find them and didn't want to go until he did, regardless of having the 'smart' card...
  • quilteryoyo
    @swenson19d Glad you are working with the trainer. That's one thing I loved about the trainer I had for Tippy. She mostly did house calls and worked with the owners too. She said it's better to let the owners see what needs to be done in their home with actual issues they need to work on. She was amazing. Also glad that DH's elbow is healing. Can you straighten his arm at all?

@CMorning99 I often get unmotivated when my to-do list isn't anything very interesting. Then I do something I've been dreading and putting off for days and it only takes a few minutes and I kick myself for not just getting it done and off my mind. You'd think I would learn, but I usually just rinse and repeat with the next boring task. :lol: I remember having that panic attack about money after my husband passed away. I was fine. Would be fine. But not having his retirement anymore put me in a panic. I had to sit down and do a basic monthly budget to see that everything was going to be okay and I had more than enough savings to cover those months I would spend more that I brought in...until I could get his SS...and then there was the part time jobs that gave me my fun money. You're right. It will all work out. But I think we all go through that panic at some point in our lives. If you want to teach, go for it. Good luck with your weight. You can do it!

@shanaber Yeah for being down a couple of pounds and for you excellent choice when you were hungry last night. I hope PT isn't too painful and you don't have any reaction from the second booster.

We had some storms over the weekend with heavy winds in town. It downed some trees that have stood for years. One was a huge oak, I think, in front of one of the funeral homes. I really hated to see that one go.

Yesterday was a milestone for me...it was an entire year of walking/running at least a mile a day. Last year, on the 9th, was the day that I had the stomach flu and had to break the streak I had started the day I got home from the hospital from my surgery. I'm trying to decide if I want to continue the streak or not. It is very motivating for me to get walks in when I wouldn't otherwise. So, I probably will and just see how it goes.

My weight is staying around 146, which is 11 pounds more than where I was at my lowest. I'm really trying to get back to 140 or below. Just seems like with work life I'm not having time to cook as much as I would like, so wind up eating things that aren't the best for weight loss. I'll figure it out. Just haven't yet. Plus, I'm hoping more running will help too.

• swenson19d
    @quilteryoyo he cant straighten it yet, he's at maybe 50 degrees. I told him to expect a year of recovery based on your experience. Hang in there with the weight and try small changes. We have gotten so bad with high fat foods, lasagna, and pizza, that is difficult to enjoy low fat foods. Maybe try some healthier options of the bad foods. Home cooked tacos vs Taco Bell, etc.

@shanaber I recall the movie. I have a hard time letting him be a dog and imposing realistic expectations. Esp. when he is being protective. He scared the daylights out f the UPS driver yesterday. He was in and barked vehemently. I could hear the nervousness in their voice as they shouted "UPS!" haha oh.. oops sorry driver. I try to take Kev out to meet them. but was lazy.

The trainer recommended 2 books. I really haven't done more than thumb through them yet. Canine body language and Mental exercises .
  • CMorning99
    Good afternoon folks!

The day was kinda derailed by IT issues. Boss bought an 82 inch? TV, the damn thing is massive. He wants to use it as a scrolling dashboard of "to dos"...IDK, I like my white boards and sticky notes...not to mention the TV is right behind me...like 2 ft behind me ... and him, so... whatever, it is his project LOL.

Since it was slow I went back thru MPF old group chats back to 2015!...@shanaber remember NTHG Spinoff group? I can't believe I have "known" you for 7 years LOL. Not sure when the group died out, I think I quit in 2018 timeframe.

I was running so hard back then! It was also a 2 year period where I had my worst injuries that took me out for months at a time. I also had friends back then LOL Wow I was busy.

"Forgot" to track calories today. These large curved monitors are still bugging my eyes... the muscles around my eyes feel like I have been clenching them all day. My motivation is still down. Nothing seems to be sparking my interest...running, reselling...meh. One of my besties is going through a divorce and we used to get up and run at 4:45 am, she was telling me how much she is realizing having someone to run with helped her with stress and she said when she quit running with me (we both moved) she said her husband became intolerable (funny, but not funny).

I am in a mood since I am now 11 days out from my vacation and feel like I shouldn't start anything LOL.

Going back and looking at that old group, we used to do star challenges...pick 3 habits you want to work on and you get a start each week you successfully complete the habit consistently...anyone interested? We could start in June.

Well, it is the end of the day ... costco chili for dinner tonight. The boss asked if I am going to the gym in the AM, I probably should.

Have a great evening!
  • quilteryoyo
    edited May 2022
    @CMorning99 Sorry you are in a funk right now. I hope your vacation helps. The star challenge sounds interesting. Does everyone work on the same habit or do you pick your own?

Thanks for the advice @swenson19d I'm hoping that exercising more is all I need. If I had the time, I would cook more. I know it's healthier and a lot less sodium. I've gotten bad lately about giving in and buying chips and dip or salsa. That I need to quit and find a better, crunchy alternative. Maye not take an entire year to straighten his arm, but at least 6 - 9 months, I would guess. Of course the location of the break could affect that. Mine was 9 months with exercises every day.
  • shanaber
    edited May 2022
    @swenson19d - Did the doctor say when they want him to start trying to move his arm? I imagine if the incision isn't healed they wouldn't want him doing anything yet.
    Hobbes goes crazy for the UPS guy too but I think what he really dislikes are the trucks. He starts barking at them before they even stop - I think he must hear them coming. I have seen that they carry treats for the pups but I have never gotten Hobbes out to meet them either. Its one of the things I would do differently if I had the chance to go back and redo things.

@CMorning99 - I haven't thought of that group in a long while. One of the ladies is still on my friend list though. She doesn't interact much, just posts the occasional workout. I do remember the star challenges. @quilteryoyo - each person had their own goal(s) for the month like getting in x number of runs in each week, or strength training, or a food goal. Then we reported on how we did each week - kind of like the running challenge but you update/grade yourself for the week. I found it motivating.

ETA - I went back and checked and I left that group in 2020... there wasn't much activity anymore. Beeps has been continuing to create monthly threads with the latest one this last February.
  • CMorning99
    Good morning!

Was going through some old posts in that old group and back when DH and I split up for a time and I was seeing a therapist I made this post after a session:

She also thinks that I am depressed as well, I just don't show it like most people. My depression is manifesting in exhaustion. Which leads to no exercise and no desire to do anything even cook...which leads to bad eating...which is leading to weight gain.

I think that applies again.

Going to do 1 thing on my to do list and this AM I took "gym" time but didn't go, but I did work on my reselling for an hour instead...so it was not wasted time.

I don't know if it is an excuse or rational, but decided to not make any new habits or "promises" till after my vacation... so 1 June. That is 4 months before my next and last Air Force fitness test...time flies when you count it by when you have to take a fitness test LOL

I have not been a complete flake though and this week I have been drinking my 64 oz of water every day.
  • swenson19d
    edited May 2022
    @quilteryoyo I get the crunch chip addiction. I have chips on my no-no list because I cant eat them responsibly lol! We did cheese whisps for a while. That was somewhat calorie controlled by the bag. And I got where 4-5 of them would suffice. I still love crunchy stuff. I'd add a few to a plate of veggies that I liked, mushrooms, olives, artichoke hearts, or use fresh mozzarella. I think I just like to snack.

@CMorning99 Congratulations on the water. I still struggle with that.

Dh and I took Kevin for a walk yesterday evening and my legs kinda get resistant to cooperating. I'd probably should just drink more water. My jerks are crap today. I couldnt sleep last night because it kept on. Felt like someone was grabbing me and jerking me suddenly. I'm also so dang hot. Figure it's all just menopausal exacerbations. Ill make a doc appt. They had written it off as medication.

@shanaber The trainer is working with Sandy and the big trucks by feeding her when the high, they might be high, but I meant big trucks come by, like trash day. But she is timid and runs from them.

Kevin went to day care today. I hope he gets some of that energy out. The trainer suggested letting him run alongside the car, if we trusted him... ummm.... no. You cant even walk without him getting right in front of you and I am not teaching him to chase cars. Ugh, that's a bigger problem. Sandy will be back soon enough and they can romp and rumble. Ill try to take them to the lake or springs or something to keep them busy. Walked 0.9 miles yesterday and did okay, wasn't easy. Front of my hip was sore by time we got home from the park and hurts still today. Kevin & Maggie had fun though.

Weight.
    No idea how really, but I am 0.3 pounds above "do-some-thing!". I'd been trying to get back to IF and keep moving the eat time later and later. Today im hungry so I'll give into a nosh at 3pm.
  • swenson19d
    Why is it Kevin can't stay awake on the drive home from dog care, but is rambunctious the second we get home? I guess he had a good day. BARK! BARK! Maybe he wants me to nap with him.
    zlm692qae3zn.png
    lpco8gn8dmvg.png

@shanaber & @quilteryoyo I dont know when the doc wants Eric to start rehabbing the elbow. He is trying to use it a little as tolerated. I told him a year so he would be patient with it and not tear a muscle or something.
  • quilteryoyo
    @CMorning99 I would actually be surprised if you weren't depressed with all you have going on. Did you take a prescription back then? Would it help you now, if you did? Glad you took the hour to do something you wanted to do.

@swenson19d I've always had an issue with salty, crunchy food...ie chips. If you read the original Adkins book, that means you are a carbohydrate addict. Yeah. I know. I tried his diet many years ago. It worked for a while, but I don't think it is reasonable or healthy to cut out almost an entire food group. Moderation is now my go to diet....if I'd just moderate. LOL Tippy doesn't like big trucks either. I think it is the noise with her too. Kev does look like he is about to fall asleep. I hope Eric heals well and learns to be patient.

• CMorning99
    Good morning!

@quilteryoyo No, never was on meds. I don't know if they would help (the therapist recommended them), I have never been on antidepressants so not sure what to expect. I am going to try taking the St Johns wort again...I felt like maybe it was causing some anxiety (like that night my HR was 90 bpm in bed) so stopped. Mental health care is pretty bad in the military. You can see a therapist pretty easily but an actual Doctor is damn near impossible. And that is one doctor you can't go see on your own since it affects your cognitive state and they get a bit funny about that when you have access to stuff.

Actually ended up getting a few things done at work and had a few more dropped on my plate. The crisis exercises are starting back up and today my team is at a wild fire table top discussion...all the orgs come together and they walk through their roles and challenges if we had a wild fire. I think we had one in 2019 that was pretty bad. In June we have an active shooter table top (so glad not actual exercise) where we talk again, those aren't so bad since it mainly falls on security forces. In the summer is our big one where we play hard and nothing is simulated...always exhausting.

Food was not bad, but I did finish off half a box of milk duds. I think if we do a star challenge next month, one goal is no candy. No exercise, my eyes and face felt like they had been through a marathon with these damn monitors. Everyone else loves them! They even ordered more. I have turned down the brightness all the way and set it to "reader" mode DH said I should order blue light glasses, he thinks curved monitors give off more blue light. I just feel like all the muscles around my eyes have been tensed up all day squinting. I am not squinting though. Just googled it and Harvard did a study that says curved monitors are better for your eyes...sus.

I thought about it today, I wonder if there is some amateur personal trainer on base (military spouses are always looking for a side hustle), I don't really care if they are really good, I just want to pay them for accountability LOL...great, now I am hiring friends LOL.

Today's goal: Get up and walk around the building (not far) every time my apple watch says I have been sitting too long.

Have a great one1
  • quilteryoyo
    @CMorning99 I balked at meds for depression for almost two years before I gave in. I forgot what I took, but they really were helpful. I was amazed that in about 4 days I was driving down the road and it was like a veil lifted. I just felt so much better just like that. And, it didn't make me a zombie. I still cried when I was sad. I just wasn't in a fog all the time. I didn't want to be on them forever, so, that's when I started exercising more and after about 6 months discussed it with my doctor and was able to get off of them. Haven't had to take them anymore. It took me convincing myself that it was a chemical imbalance in my brain, sort of like an iron deficiency doesn't let your blood carry the oxygen like it should. I wouldn't hesitate to take iron, so why did I hesitate on the meds that would help get my brain chemistry back in line with where it should be?
    I hope you get used to the monitors or they let you switch back or something. Glad you are being productive. I think it is funny that you want to pay someone to keep you accountable, not necessarily tell you what to do. I'm sure you can find someone. Hope the rest of your day was good.
  • swenson19d
    @CMorning99 celexa is usually what most people are started on. It’s easy to get adjust to. I’ve been off and on it several times. It is just like @quilteryoyo described. You can get an online doc and do it all that way. 🤫
  • shanaber
    @swenson19d - love the picture of Kevin with his head on your shoulder! Hobbes is always exhausted after daycare and sleeps all the way home and then is ready to play again at least for a little while.
    Can you do some mind games with them to wear them out (in addition to physical playtime)? If you want some links to games I can send you some, but even spending a bit of time teaching them tricks can make them tired.

@CMorning99 - I worked for a while in a 'war room' environment (not military just a big system monitoring room with lots of big screen monitors). I hated it. I don't do well with flashing lights, even moving ads on websites and every time they screens updated I felt nauseous.
    When I hired my trainer (one of dd's friends growing up) it was similar to what you need. I hoped for someone to keep me accountable. If they actually helped with workouts, even better. I was fortunate that he was an excellent trainer and became a great friend. I actually miss working out with him and all the guidance he gave me.

We had a day out today with the housekeeper at the house today. Dh. wanted to go to an air museum out in the desert so off we went. Pretty much feel like I didn't eat enough but also went off the rails. Wee had Starbucks on the way out and then burgers and fries for dinner. I didn't eat many fries but devoured my burger. Was way over on fat and probably salt too... oh well tomorrow's another day.
  • quilteryoyo
    @shanaber Sounds like a nice day out for you and DH. You could have done a lot worse than a burger. I would have devoured the fries, but than anything potato is a weakness of mine.
  • swenson19d
    @shanaber sure. Send me all the dog entertainment stuff. Sandy is coming home a week early. Seems she is on the cusp of a heat cycle. I knew she wouldn't last a year haha! I'll spend time training them at home then send them both back for 2-3 weeks. I want the trainer to work with them together this time, so they don't gang up on me.

I was sending Kev to day care today, but he fell asleep and I feel bad... but if I get my shoes and the keys he'll be ready to go.
    I mentioned to the dog care (on FB) where was Kev in the pics? I wanted him playing and thought man he'd better not be sleeping my day care fee away LOL!
    https://www.facebook.com/barktownok/photos/a.1605246776218747/5100076203402436/?__cft__[0]=AZVdewawc-aMIDgHtclmb27fdMMp1nzRu1b34v51NIfOUplG-u-74TCy1o1ue8Pun1h92l2XfKa3uw3CVwYe-dALpdHPYOGZL1czmxErdos9R2JAQPYuNsmQjUVbyOUdYaZgu4vW06c8EMoZeYG0Oe4aC1XGLn8alw7cDTDHY_tl3isWPoEoKGMAq2l93Zufi0Q&__tn__=EH-y-Rtigdewc3wt03.png