Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,958 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had a near perfect day, @shanaber . The pups are too cute.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I fell off the logging/posting wagon, again! But it's a new month so let's give it another try. I read through the last page of posts. Not much for me to add.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Hi @RunsOnEspresso!! I was just thinking that I miss you, @rheddmobile and @Avidkeo!

I did want to tell you and was thinking of sending you a dm instead but can mention it here. I tried to listen to your last podcast (on feeling like a fraud) on Spotify and it stops right after the entrance music. I have downloaded it a few times and also tried streaming it w/o downloading. I can play all your others w/o issue so not sure if it is me or an issue with the podcast.

I got in a lot of activity today. Walking with the pups then going for a decent run by myself. It was hot so I did the 60/40 intervals. I stopped quite a few times just to cool down a little.

When I got home I made a big batch of peanut butter as well as almond butter. While I was making it I realized I haven't made it for over a year. I have multiple (small) containers of peanut butter in the freezer now as well as two containers of almond butter.

At PT yesterday the therapist worked on the area at the back of my shoulder, right on the edge of my armpit - kind of hard to describe exactly. Apparently there are a bunch of muscles and tendons that attach to the top of the bone there. My shoulder had been aching and he manipulated to see where the pain was coming from. He used his elbow to dig into and massage that area and oh goodness it hurt so bad but I was amazed at how much better it felt afterwards. It is still tender but I used a massage ball (per the PT) on it to hopefully keep it from getting stiff again.

Jeepers goes home tomorrow afternoon and I think Hobbes is going to miss him!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @shanaber It was a me/podcast issue. When I downloaded it from the editing software there was no sound and of course I didn't listen to it before uploading to server. I re-downloded (and triple checked the sound) and re-uploaded over the weekend. It should work now. It did on my podcast player.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Hey guys.

Well the last month has been awful and I just couldn't come here. I'll have to listen to @runs_on_espresso podcast of feeling like a fraud cause that's me.

Covid hit me so hard I was unable to exercise. For the first few weeks after having covid, I could barely work. So I've been taking things very very slowly and carefully. And because of all my colleagues coming down sick with covid too I've been working lots of weekends. I thought I might have been better last week, and went for a gentle run, but the following day I was so short of breath and had chest tightness. Its been awful.

So I had to give myself another week, and I attempted my first run again today. I noticed my HR wasn't going as high as before. Which is fantastic. Its been a few hrs and I'm tired but have had a busy day lol.

In big news it looks like I'll be doing masters, and as a big project for work as well. Still in early stages and working on the proposal but it's a huge thing that could make a lot of changes in my line of work. Very exciting!

I want to come back daily, I miss you guys so much. my ability to stick to anything atm is distinctly lacking. I will try come in as often as I can. My eating has been appalling and I'm the biggest I've been in 4 years. Sigh. At least I seem to have made the gain stall...
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I'm glad to see you check in @Avidkeo . I was getting worried about you and how CoVID had affected you. It's good to hear that you are feeling well enough to try running, at least. I have heard of a lot of people who have gotten heart issues after having CoVID - AFib, racing heart rate for no reason, irregular heart beat, etc. In my case, I think that is why I was having the PVCs and PACs, which, thankfully, aren't dangerous like AFib, but still made me not able to breath at times. Fortunately, that seems to be under control now (taking 800 mg of magnesium a day). I guess I am saying this so that you are careful and maybe talk to your doctor if you notice weird things going on with your heart. CONGRATULATIONS on your work advances! I do need an explanation of what "doing masters" means. Are you getting your masters degree or will you be working with those who are? If this is obvious to everyone else, sorry. My brain just may not be working yet this morning. :lol:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I assumed masters degree but I forget things mean different things elsewhere! I should stop ASSuming 🤣
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Lol i don't know if it's a me-ism or if its what people say here. I will be working towards a masters degree, and frankly the amount of work this project involves I'll probably go all the way to PhD (because why not).

In good news. I didn't need my Inhaler all night! And no chest tightness so far. Last time it hit before now so I'm feeling quietly confident...
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    That's awesome @Avidkeo - on working towards your masters/PhD! Great news about your breathing too! Hopefully you are on the mend. BTW, I would have assumed you were working on your masters too, had I now known that you "teach" at your job.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Oh @avidkeo! It is so good to have you back here! Like the others I was really worried about you but then I was hopeful when I saw you pop up on Strava for a run! Covid is such a strange beast and seems to strike everyone so differently. Some nothing at all and for others completely debilitating. I am glad you are starting to feel better! one of the other ladies in the running challenge was also hit pretty hard and has been trying very slowly to get back to running as well.
    Congratulations on your new project and working toward your Masters/PhD! I know it is a lot of work but can be so rewarding once completed. Is your work supporting it? I hope so!

@RunsOnEspresso - I am still having issues with that episode but I think it may be Spotify on my phone, not actually re-downloading the content even when I have deleted it from the downloads. I am going to try it with something else and see if I can get it to play.

I listened to a really good podcast the other day about body image and how we are so hard on ourselves, especially as we get older and our bodies change so much and don't cooperate any longer regardless of what we try. They were talking about 'older' women and athletes in their 40's and 50's and I thought they should realize it impacts those of us in our 60's too... It did make me realize though how much body image impacted me when I was younger. Losing weight and getting in shape really had such a huge impact on my self confidence and thinking about it now, I was the same person with the same knowledge before and after... why? Just why?

Food has been pretty good. We have lots of fruit and vegetables left over from the weekend that I am eating through for lunches and snacks. I am also trying w/o much success to get more fiber.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Thanks @quilteryoyo I do teach in my job. Sort of. I'm the clinical tutor, which means I supervise undergraduate radiographer students when they are on placement. So not masters or PhD (yet bahaha).

@shanaber was that you who commented? That meant so much. I rarely actually look at strava but get notifications when someone comments.

I've got to the end of the day an no I'll effects! I really feel for those who get long covid. We've had a lot at work and it's debilitating. Especially when you are so used to being active.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber I have had body image issues most of my life. I remember looking at a picture from college later in life and thinking "Wow. You were so skinny. Why did you think you were fat?" I'm not sure what it is or why we are so hard on ourselves. I'm okay with the way I am now....still need to get back to where I was about 1.5 years ago, but at least my weight yo-yo string is shorter. (I had something else I was going to say, but my train of thought got derailed. :lol: )

@Avidkeo Great to hear that you have done well for a couple of days. That's a fantastic start. Just listen to your body and if you're super tired one day, go with it and take it easy.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I have looked back at photos too and thought why did I think I was fat? I think a lot of it is society expectations. We're all supposed to be young and thin looking!

Also, we need more info in general about women's cycles and menopause. We know so little.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    edited June 2022
    Options
    @shanaber I'll take a look at my podcast host as well. The refresh worked on Podcast Addict but maybe there is something on the backend.

I am so annoyed with technology lately! Nothing is working right. I posted a podcast AND video that had no sound. My blog was scheduled to autopost and never did. All of my photography posts from last week only posted on Facebook and not Instagram. Although that did make IG scheduling easier for this coming week, just re-use the FB ones. LOL I am about to give up and go live in a cave in the woods hahahaha

ETA: I refreshed again on the backend. I went to spotify and it worked but I don't have an account so it might be that it got stuck with the old version for you? I've heard of that happening with different feeds/players.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @Avidkeo - I'm so glad you are feeling better!
    @RunsOnEspresso - it is definitely a Spotify issue. I can't listen to it on either my phone or the PC version (they synch so reflect the same starting point/time remaining, etc.), but it works just fine directly from your website. I am sure it is the way Spotify is cacheing the download and I know of no way to clear that. I hear you on technology issues, they are a pain in the butt even for someone with that background!

There is more research being done regarding women's health and the changes in peri-menopause and menopause but it certainly isn't enough. I think the aging of the population (and that we tend to be much more vocal) is pushing it. I haven't ordered it by Dr. Stacy Sims (author of ROAR) has just come out with a book on menopause (Next Level - YOUR GUIDE TO KICKING *kitten*, FEELING GREAT, AND CRUSHING GOALS THROUGH MENOPAUSE AND BEYOND) and I have found the Selene Yeager podcast and blog to have so much good information that I wish I'd had years ago.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Avidkeo - I'm so glad you are feeling better!
    @RunsOnEspresso - it is definitely a Spotify issue. I can't listen to it on either my phone or the PC version (they synch so reflect the same starting point/time remaining, etc.), but it works just fine directly from your website. I am sure it is the way Spotify is cacheing the download and I know of no way to clear that. I hear you on technology issues, they are a pain in the butt even for someone with that background!

There is more research being done regarding women's health and the changes in peri-menopause and menopause but it certainly isn't enough. I think the aging of the population (and that we tend to be much more vocal) is pushing it. I haven't ordered it by Dr. Stacy Sims (author of ROAR) has just come out with a book on menopause (Next Level - YOUR GUIDE TO KICKING *kitten*, FEELING GREAT, AND CRUSHING GOALS THROUGH MENOPAUSE AND BEYOND) and I have found the Selene Yeager podcast and blog to have so much good information that I wish I'd had years ago.

I keep meaning to read her stuff. Since she's a kiwi she's hugely popular here but I just haven't got around to it. I know she is an absolute pioneer in women's sports and it's awesome!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Oh yah, I did see she had a new book. I'll probably read it eventually. I did the audiobook of Roar but I still want to find a copy to reference.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I'm also very annoyed with technology. My internet is just awful lately. All weekend it has been off much more than on, so I give up trying to post anything. They "fix" it and it works for a day and then out again. I really need to see if Hughes Net will work here, but last time they said no. I think I'm putting off calling because I don't want to be disappointed again. LOL So, if you don't see me for a while, that may be why. Seems like it is always off when I have time to sit down and do something. And, I do have a couple of things that I really need to do that can't be done without it. I love living in my "cave" of sorts, @RunsOnEspresso , but there are some pitfalls. :lol:
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Well i called it. DOMS have well and truly set in. I love strength training when I'm doing it but HATE the first few days. Always awful. But it feels so good to be back into it.

I'm feeling good (ignoring the DOMS) so will try a gentle 30 min run tomorrow. Feeling confident I can slowly gently start building. I'll keep going easy this week. And I have to be aware there will be setbacks. Its never linear is it!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    It isn't ever linear @Avidkeo ! Glad you are back at it!