Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,123 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Are you leaving us, or just going to make a new account? I hope it's the latter.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Never mind. I see that you said you haven't created a new one YET - which implies you are going to.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Are you leaving us, or just going to make a new account? I hope it's the latter.

Ill make a new one...
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Ill make a new one...

I think Ill just use Alex's account.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Hugs elise

Well I've been Mia. Fallen apart again. I need to find a balance. This boom and bust cycle is driving me crazy.
    Doesn't help its birthday month (husbands, nephews and mine), then Christmas. Food all the time everywhere. Just constant. I usually just give up for 2 months and pick up again in January.

Running, been following the plan. Right calf is good. Starting to get weird sensations in left shin. Feels a bit like shin splints, but with pins and needles. Anyone else had that?
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Avidkeo I usually just give in to the holiday's and make up for it when I can. Glad the calf is good. I can't help you with the shin pain though. Sorry.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,414 Member
    Options
    Thanks @quilteryoyo... today seems better and getting out for a walk and not pushing myself to run was nice. I was thinking I might try running tomorrow but I am going to wait until Monday and go for another walk tomorrow instead.
    @Elise4270 - I really hope you aren't leaving us completely. You are one of my longest friends here, you and @ddmom0811. I would really miss you! I can however get used to you with a new id, @swenson19d I just have to learn it so I don't have to look every time I type it.
    @Avidkeo - late November into December is tough for me too. Like @quilteryoyo I just try to get through and enjoy it without stressing and then just deal with it afterwards. I hope the shin pain isn't anything worrisome.

On my walk today I listened to a podcast called Stop the Leaks. I am pretty sure someone mentioned this problem previously or there was a discussion about it. Anyway the podcast was really interesting to me as it discusses the physical way our bodies function in relation to the diaphragm and the pelvic floor. I had no idea they were even related! Also how things like having uneven hips or a hip that dips/collapses when you run can be part of the problem. So far I have listened to 3 of their podcasts and have found them all very interesting. They are focused on endurance athletes and menopause/peri-menopause. I wish I had the information years ago.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber I might have to look up those podcasts. So far, I haven't had an issue, but I know that I have uneven hips. I really should probably start seeing a chiropractor or something - but not in these times. I know when I had PT for the gastroc injury they would realign my hips almost every visit. I think they may have given me some exercises to help, but I quit those long ago.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo Pins and needles sounds like nerve compression issues - could even be related to the calf since that big nerve behind your knee goes basically everywhere. If anything anywhere is swollen/inflamed it could be pressing.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo I agree with @rheddmobile it sounds like the inflammation is irritating a nerve.

I'm not leaving, just trying to manage. I really like Alex's account so far, the ads are men's shirts, much nicer to look at ;)

I ate so much yesterday.

Still jerky/twitchy. Dr Google said that if it is med related they may persist as long as I am experiencing withdrawal. And I am, but down to 2- 20 mg/dose a week. I am an unhappy crying angry person off this med. But it keeps dh on his toes.

That's really funny that others have uneven hips. (not haha funny). My Pt has me not doing any cross over stretches (that the surgeon has me doing) on the up side. I can stretch that leg straight down. I also lay on my back with knees up and apply counter pressure with my hand as I push (gently) the knee towards me. The pt won't let me do anything that incites muscle spasm/spasticity, so everything is super light, even the massage or trigger point manipulation. most of the time I can not feel her touch. (which I am sure isnt a good sign). But now I know why I hate dh hugging me, er why it hurts and causes muscle pain/tightness. well not "why" but that there is some underlying cause. I had deep light therapy in the up-side hip and it doesn't seem to be experiencing the muscle twitches anymore. I'll have to mention that. It is not covered by insurance and expensive, but I'll probably continue with it. It is similar to ultrasound therapy but with light. I recommend it. They do everything- the owner treats her DH for trigeminal neuralgia and has good results. I guess it's newish, since there are only 4 in the state and insurance isn't on board.

enough stalling... I am studying drugs today for tomorrow's exam... then dead week, then finals dec 7-9th.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - I need to listen to that podcast. That is starting to happen to me, especially toward the end of a run.
    Sorry you have been feeling so depressed/down. This world right now... it's just too much for all of us.

@elise4270/@swenson19d - glad I caught myself up, I would be really confused if I just went to this last page and saw a swenson19d, posting things that sounded like Elise! Pies! We have two huge pies from Sam's which is ridiculous - it's just four of us. But I like pecan pie - and they like Apple.

We decided to bring MIL and her BF over to the beach condo. The plan is I pick them up on my way home from work Monday. We have a little tiny gathering with the four of us Tuesday. We drive them home on Wednesday. Then we are supposed to go to my son's house with the two granddaughters on Thursday. I feel like I'm the least safe person out of any of us, even though I am very careful at work. We did get four cases on Friday at school - and had to quarantine a ton of kids after that (those that sit next to the positive ones).

@quilteryoyo -I agree with @shanaber - that might be risky to go somewhere if the people are deniers. But I totally get wanting to see the kids! That's how I feel with granddaughters!

@avidkeo - I have only had tingling in the bottom of my feet and it is coming back (neuropathy). I guess I need a shot again.

@bearly63 - Yes, I definitely didn't go all-out enough on the test. I'll be away from Pellie until Nov 30. :cry:

I'm not sure what's going on with my weight. Ok, that's a stupid commend. There is no mystery. I'm eating desserts/chocolate after meals! Eating well for meals but then I follow the meals up with crap.
    I only work tomorrow and them off the rest of the week and staying at condo, so plan on exercising/running more. I think I will do the annual holiday run streak, but it will be less miles since I'm riding Peloton too.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    The only time I've had tingling in my feet was because my laces were too tight and feet swelled while running.

Still hit or miss on logging.

Weight was down almost half a pound. So almost back to where I was before election week.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Well i gave left shin a good deep massage yesterday and today it seems to have come right. Right calf continues to be good.

Managed 3k again this morning, and cycled to work! We are about to have a new hospital wing built, which will take away one of our carparks, so parking is about to get scarce. So I'm riding to work. Its only 3k. And all the stationery cycling has paid off, it was a fairly easy ride in, I really enjoyed it!

Will see how the legs go for the next few days. Physio on Friday (he was sick last week so couldn't go)
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Wow....we all seem to have some uneven hips! I have been told and read that lack of flexiblity, tight hips, hip flexors, weak glutes, weak core etc, all lead to hips getting disaligned and it affects everything else.

@Elise4270 / @swenson19d glad your not leaving but just refreshing....good luck on the tests.

@shanabar that podcast sounds interesting. I will check it out.

@Avidkeo I am the same....the holidays are just hard...usually so many gatherings are my excuse but this year, its just staying home and stress eating and drinking which is scary because that might not end in January unless I am strong enough to end it. I need to be..... Glad you are riding to work....fun!

@ddmom0811 sounds like a good plan with MIL. Running on the beach sounds lovely!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Avidkeo Glad your calf is holding up and that you are able to bike to work. Do you have a plan for rainy days?

I was horrible with food over the weekend - salty food was my friend. I ate an entire large bag of Cheddar Cheese popcorn Saturday night and then popped more popcorn yesterday and added butter and salt. I gained 2.5 pounds because of that. I had been doing so good, but I caved when I went shopping Thursday and bought the popcorn. I realized this morning that I really, really need to stop that because it can raise my blood pressure, which really is not good for the aneurysm. I did take my BP this morning. It isn't horrible, but is a lot higher than it normally is. So, I am going to be good the rest of the week....even try to limit salty stuff on Thanksgiving, but that is hard when you aren't the one cooking and don't know how much salt people add.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I really enjoyed the ride yesterday! I was surprised at how easy it was compared to a year ago. I think all the riding on the stationery helped a lot.

So much so that today I went for a 20k ride by the sea. It was fantastic! I wasn't brave enough to cycle down and back so I took the bike on the car, dropped the kids off at school/Kindy. Then proceeded to the start point.

I had a blast! I absolutely loved it.

Eating, I've pulled my head out of the gutter, and stopping the self pity cycle. Have eaten light for a couple of days to counter a bit of the extreme excess of the weekend. I always always forget how much better I feel when I'm eating well vs all the garbage. It might taste good at the time, but always ends up leaving a sour taste in my mouth. If only I could remember that all the time.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Glad you are enjoying your bike rides @Avidkeo . Good for you for doing better with your eating too! You've got this.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    We went to Sprouts to get gf pie crusts. I bought everything gf peppermint that was available LOL
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    Logging is still hit or miss but I'm being somewhat aware of what I'm eating. Mostly what I usually eat.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I thought I did better with my eating yesterday, but was up another pound this morning. I had hoped to stay below 140 this week, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen as I was at 139.4 today. I know it is all my fault and SALT. I have not really eaten that many calories! But, I have to confess, this weight going up 5 pounds in a week is starting to make me feel defeated. I have to get that out of my head and know that I can lose it back next week. The rest of this week, except for maybe tomorrow, are going to be BAD eating wise. I just need to suck it up, try to exercise, enjoy the food, and work really really hard to start getting it back off next week.