Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,959 Member
    Options
    @CMorning99 That either didn't make the news here or I just wasn't watching. I know that is a stressful situation which I, fortunately, did not have to deal with. A rocket blew up right after I was transferred from Cape Canaveral, on the pad that we used to launch from. I think it was high enough over the tower that the debris destroyed a lot of cars in the parking lot, but don't think anyone was hurt. I think I would just let the day unfold and not worry about your food/activity. You can't account for emergencies and the stress probably burned more calories that you would normally burn.

@swenson19d I had to look up aphantasia. I had never heard of it before. The mind is such an interesting organ. Congrats on being accepted into TWU!
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I am back at work. The weekend went well enough and I was off yesterday to get an oil change and a recall done on my car. The nearest dealership is just over an hour away so I just took the day and went thrifting. I found my first vintage t-shirt! In the reseller community there is always a joke about the "vintage t guys". You can spot them a mile away, young men in very skinny jeans LOL. They are aggressive too and like piranhas in the t-shirt section. I see why though, I found a 1994 flintstones shirt and it looks like it might sell for between $60-100.

I had the guy who is moving our mobile home reach out to me, his daughter is going to one of those accelerated nursing programs near the ranch and they live about 40 miles from the ranch. He asked if he could put a trailer up there and hook it all up and she would stay there on school nights so she didn't have to drive 75 miles. He asked how much I would charge...I never gave him a price...I don't know what is fair. He is also throwing in a lot of extras with the mobile home move. The financially responsible side of me should charge...but at the same time, it feels mean.

So update on challenge (spoiler...I am sucking)

1) Take vitamins everyday (3/16)
    2) Drink 64 oz of water a day (0/16)
    3) 5K steps (3/16)
    4) Strength training 3x (1/3)
    5) Run a total of 25 miles (3.5/25)
    6) Use all my face creams (I have a bad habit of not moisturizing and I have really dry skin) (7/16)
    7) Collagen smoothie for breakfast everyday (3/16)

In court today. Hopefully we get the final doctor's report and a determination. Maybe a trail date? But that is pushing it.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Hi all! just checking in... we had a great trip up to No CA revisiting memories from when we were first married and then some. We visited my alma mater and tried to find our first house but neither of us could remember the address. In SF we went to some of our favorite places. It was weird though; so many people warned us about how dirty the City was and the homeless were everywhere and we did not see it. The City was beautiful and the homeless situation honestly was worse when we lived there in the late 70s. We were saddened though by how many places were boarded up/closed. We walked ChinaTown one evening looking for dinner and were so surprised by how few people were out on a Friday evening and how few restaurants and shops were open. Fisherman's Wharf on a peak season Saturday was moderately busy but not packed the way we have experienced it in July before and several of the landmark restaurants are closed permanently. I didn't run and I didn't log much - it is just too difficult when you are eating out, but we did walk a lot. We typically had a big brunch at the hotel and then dinner later. I didn't lose or gain so I am good with that.
    I have been trying to get out earlier to run with moderate success. It is just getting too hot, too early otherwise. This weekend it is expected to be miserable and then cool off slightly.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @CMorning99 - hope you got some progress with the trial!
    I would consider letting the mobile home guy put the trailer up as long as he is paying the utilities and water. Maybe consider a nominal rent - $100 or $150/month
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 I hope you were able to get a trial date set..and they go through with it this time. I know that has to be so frustrating. I agree with @shanaber . I'd consider a nominal rent, because it may make your land taxes increase. It would around here. Also, as far as your challenge goes, at least you are keeping track, so it is on your mind. In my book, that is a good start.

@shanaber Glad you had a nice anniversary trip, even if a lot of things were different, in a bad way. It seems they always are and the old saying, "You can never go home again." is usually true. Everything changes so much over the years that it just isn't the same. You are doing great with your exercise that I see on the newsfeed. Maybe not what you would like to be doing, but you're getting out there and doing what you can.

A little girl at daycare had this t-shirt on yesterday (under the spoiler). It sort of summed up how I have felt about worrying about food and exercise this week. LOL
    brgmmlftkbj2.jpg

I do hope to do better next week. I'll start by not buying chips and dip. Did that twice this week and they are all gone. Yikes. That is why my weight is up to the "not going over again" point this morning.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! (Well, mostly. I don't think lenny is in here much anymore)

I'm trying to get back to logging starting today. 🤞🏻 Today is day 1 (again) of fat/weight loss this summer.

Women's fitness day is the end of September. I want to focus my podcasts on women runners. For the short pod I plan to talk about 4 notable women runners. Are there any first/top women you'd include? (I do have a few in mind but am curious who you'd include)

The long episode topic is still up in the air. Any ideas on something more specific than women runners?
  • CMorning99
    Options
    Good morning!

@shanaber I am glad San Fran was beautiful still!

So what happened last week... who knows LOL.

I was busy with a safety inspection all week and the squadron did really well. I got named again by the Base as a strength in the program...that is #3. I don't get anything for it, but it is a nice validation. Nothing much else happened that was noteworthy all week.

We had court. The Doctor had just submitted his report the evening prior and it was 34 pages long. They didn't say what was in it. LS had quite the fan club on Zoom. As soon has he came into the video room at the jail, 2 girls cameras popped on and they were waving and mouthing stuff. He was smiling and waving back. The Judge shut that down though and made them turn their cameras off. But we walked away with a trial conference date in 5 weeks to schedule the trial. So I guess that means they think he is competent to stand trial at least.

This weekend black cat had his B-12 shot. His vet is in the middle of Pismo Beach and the place was a madhouse! I came home and told hubby that if based off that, I would have no idea there were economic problems. I thought I was in Santa Monica! We got both the cars washed and waxed, the hardwater is doing damage already on the Tesla. DH did a deep clean of the house, we were actually surprised at how much dirt we found. The boys also both got baths.

I got my thrifting in and did pretty well. I did have a lady message me on eBay, she only has 1 review so IDK if she is new or not. She bought some Skecher Shapeups from me. They were kinda beat up condition and honestly I probably should have not have picked them up because the foam can fall apart. She sent me a grumpy message that they fell apart. What was weird was she said she took them to a show repair man and he said they could not be repaired. Who does that for $20 sneakers? She demanded I refund her money and sent some really bad pictures, I couldn't even make out the damage on the shoes. I asked her to open a return in eBay so I could send her a return label to return the shoes. I haven't heard from her. Either she is new and isn't on eBay much or it was a scam. I can't be sure...the shoes where old but there are some red flags. I hope this is not my first negative review.

So update on challenge (spoiler...still sucking)

1) Take vitamins everyday (5/16)
    3) 5K steps (7/16)
    4) Strength training 3x (2/3)
    5) Run a total of 25 miles (9/25)
    6) Use all my face creams (I have a bad habit of not moisturizing and I have really dry skin) (12/16)
    7) Collagen smoothie for breakfast everyday (4/16)

No weight loss.

• shanaber
    Options
    Hey ladies! (Well, mostly. I don't think lenny is in here much anymore)

I'm trying to get back to logging starting today. 🤞🏻 Today is day 1 (again) of fat/weight loss this summer.

Women's fitness day is the end of September. I want to focus my podcasts on women runners. For the short pod I plan to talk about 4 notable women runners. Are there any first/top women you'd include? (I do have a few in mind but am curious who you'd include)

The long episode topic is still up in the air. Any ideas on something more specific than women runners?

@RunsOnEspresso - I have two that I would love to see included - Deena Kastor and Gabe Grunewald

@cmorning99 - sounds like you are inching closer to actually getting a trial date. It always amazes me how long these things take and the pandemic just made it all worse.
    Can you cover the Tesla to protect it from the hard water?
    I couldn't deal with people who think they can just demand things like that and expect that you will just cave in and essentially give them the items for free.

I had an interesting experience this last week/weekend. I ordered a pair of 15lb dumbbells on Amazon Prime Day. I had been waiting, hoping they would go on sale and jumped to get them. They were shipped and then I got an email from Amazon that there was a problem with the shipping and they were cancelling the order and would be refunding my money. I left a non-product review about my disappointment that the order was cancelled and wondering why it wasn't just reshipped - pointing more at Amazon and not mentioning the seller because the order was fulfilled/shipped by Amazon. Well Amazon refused to post the review because it wasn't a product review and said I should review the seller instead. I figured I would just drop it. Sunday I got an email from the seller saying they had seen my review and while they couldn't see what had happened since the order was fulfilled by Amazon, they wanted to send me the dumbbells! I shared the email about the cancellation with them and they have sent the dumbbells to arrive on Wednesday!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @shanaber Oh! Those are great choices I hadn't thought of! See? This is why I like to crowd source!

Ugh, I hate that about Amazon. I've had similar happen and you can't do *kitten* about it. The worst was I ordered a used book from a place with high ratings and it was dirt cheap compared to others. They canceled saying they no longer had it in stock. I tried to message seller and they just said too bad, you can find it from other sellers. A day later they suddenly had it listed again at similar prices to other sellers. Amazon wouldn't let me review. 🙄
  • CMorning99
    Options
    Good morning!

@RunsOnEspresso How about Courtney Dauwalter? She is an ultra runner who is so humble and an incredible natural talent. She brings an interesting perspective of surviving the "pain cave" and resiliency.

@shanaber I am glad you got your dumbbells! I don't remember them being so expensive but mine are pretty old. The FBA and FBM programs is so confusing (to me). I know a lot of resellers who are doing FBM now b/c Amazon is becoming greedy and very preferential on who can sell what. I think this has led to a slow down in shipping and cancelled orders. Some people make really good money, mainly selling discontinued products. I am sure once you have it set up it is easier, but I am not interested.

Yesterday was a weird day LOL It rained for about 5 min...big heavy drops and then quit and was sunny. Then it got humid and miserable 75 degrees LOL I went running after work at 3:45 and it felt like it was 95 out there...I went into the gym for a 10 min peloton upper body workout and I had sweat dripping down my face. It doesn't help when we are back to masks again. We have whole shops out with people with covid. When we had our hearing, they also said there was an outbreak in the county jail. I am sure the massive county fair is not going to help matters this weekend.

I had to submit a new construction request to have the gas meter put back that they took without my approval. The gas guy was telling me that I had to get new "reset permits" and was asking who was signing off that the mobile home was safe for occupancy. He also could not wrap his head around what I was asking. I kept telling him the pipes were there already and were used 3 months ago, just put the *kitten* meter back on! He kept asking, "so service was there?", "The pipes are there?"... I messaged the guy moving the trailer and he was WTF? In my best I know what I am doing voice I told the gas guy that I don't need any approval, just put the meter back. He said he would dig deeper and call me back. If he is going to be a pain about it, the back up plan is to trench the current meter to the new location (it is actually probably closer to the new location than the old one) and just hook it up...no one has to know. IDK if the gas company keeps records...I guess they do...but you know, things change LOL. The only "problem" with that is when we build it may create an issue when they go to hook up the new house and the pipes are not quiet where they expect them.

Well, best get back to it.

1) Take vitamins everyday (6/16)
    3) 5K steps (8/16)
    4) Strength training 3x (2/3)
    5) Run a total of 25 miles (12/25)
    6) Use all my face creams (I have a bad habit of not moisturizing and I have really dry skin) (13/16)
    7) Collagen smoothie for breakfast everyday (5/16)

• RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @CMorning99 ohhhh another good one!
  • shanaber
    Options
    I listened to this podcast this morning about a video game treatment for ADD/ADHD in kids and maybe adults in the future. I thought of you @RunsOnEspresso and @swenson19d

My weight is up like almost 3 pounds since the weekend. I can't figure out why since I am eating pretty normally. For a few days I was struggling to eat much but I have been trying to get at least 1500/day. I am going to hold steady and be consistent and have confidence it will go back down again. Maybe it is from inflammation since I started lifting weights again this week... IDK I am also having an IBS flare up so that is making me feel yucky and the heat isn't helping.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Sorry you aren't feeling well @shanaber . I hope the IBS settles down soon and you get some relief from the heat. I'm thinking it is probably the weight lifting that has caused you to gain a couple of pounds. Hang in there.

I am doing a lousy job with my exercise and logging and eating lately. I don't think I'm going to worry about too much, since I can't go back and change it. I will just try to do better going forward.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @shanaber Anytime you add exercise your body will hold water for healing, as an inflammation response. I would'n worry about it. It seems that you can counter it with a bit of sweets, maybe some fruit, or granola etc.

I ate ben and Jerrys every day for the last 3... pizza and local tamales, jalapeño cream cheese... so good, but I am going to have to fast for a week!

I bought a viola from Dublin Ireland directly from the luthier. It is in transit. I am so excited to get it. Pics below.
    k49csh0m1l3o.png
    It is not new, made in 2010 and numbered 136. He had it for a rental so it has been well played. They need to be played to cause micro fractures in the wood, which causes unique tonal qualities. It will be beautiful from the get go. A new one was well out of my price range and it took him 2-3 months to find something for me (that he made).
    9dz1hgesayuv.png
    He is setting it up for me here.

Grumpy pain
    I've been getting massages one a week for the past two. It seems to have helped some with leg strength although I still lose my balance. perhaps it'll get to being able to go for walks and hikes at some point.
    I seem to be in a flare of some sorts. Both of my wrists are sprained and I get a sudden sharp pain with the odd movement. My shoulders are incredibly sore today. The massage was 2 days ago, so I don't think thats it. It could be stress and that I am on the laptop all day trying to finish up finals, one is due today.
    I asked my hip doc about the source o my chronic pain and if a rheumatologist visit might be useful. Of course, I have been recommended to a rheumy. I'll probably go. But I am not expecting to find that it is anything more than OA.

Baby cat meets snake.
    I put Beary in charge of raising her and he had been so good looking out for her. This last week he seems to be giving her a bit of independence, its been 110-117F for a bit. Horrible when we have 101f and it isn't too bad out, haha! Anyway, I told Cori to step in and teach her to get birds, not shakes.
    She is fine. No intervention needed. She is on antibiotics for what seems to be c. diff . Kinda gross. I got her from the egg lady who has 40+ birds and an open human sewer. Poor Baby Cat Mallory.

Dry warning bite. Assume pygmy rattler.
    j7ipe6eqohu5.jpeg

My most recent painting.
    No technique. Just grab some colours and see what it looks like and then go from there. It's in my bathroom with a deep red shade over the window. And Yes, I still pain in the dark with a tiki torch, sitting on the picnic table.
    ckazjpuitada.jpeg

Go paint, take pictures, bird watch, play music, dance, and see the beauty in life. Enjoy the food. Or for the love of Bourdain...@shanaber

"Eat at a local restaurant tonight. Get the cream sauce. Have a cold pint at 4 o’clock in a mostly empty bar. Go somewhere you’ve never been. Listen to someone you think may have nothing in common with you. Order the steak rare. Eat an oyster. Have a negroni. Have two. Be open to a world where you may not understand or agree with the person next to you, but have a drink with them anyways. Eat slowly. Tip your server. Check in on your friends. Check in on yourself. Enjoy the ride".
    - Anthony Bourdain
  • shanaber
    Options
    @swneson19d - That viola is gorgeous! I bet it will sound fantastic too! I am always so impressed with the people who make them. Watched a special a while back on Stradivarius - amazing.

I hope you do go see the rheumatologist. They may not be able to give you a definitive diagnosis but they have tricks that can help. I didn't get a specific diagnosis either but they know something is going on and I have a couple of markers (ANA +) so she prescribed a drug often used for RA and it has helped. My symptoms aren't completely gone but are so much better.

Poor baby cat! I am glad she is ok and the snake didn't do any lasting damage.
    Love that you paint by tiki torch outside on the picnic table! Love the painting too. Also love the Bourdain quote. It is definitely so important to try new things and meet new people and just enjoy the world around us!

We went to the Hollywood Bowl on Friday night. Our first concert of the season because we missed the first of our series when we were in SF. This concert was Ricky Martin - I used to like some of his music but overall the concert wasn't great. He still has the moves but his voice was really straining on almost all the songs. IDK maybe it is just me being picky 🤷🏻‍♀️ but sometimes these performers just need to retire and do something different.
    Here's a couple of videos - 1st the LA Phil with Dudamel conducting (love him!) a piece by a Cuban composer who happened to be in the audience!
    https://youtu.be/1BOFhls0hv8
    One of the songs I thought Ricky Martin sounded really nice on...
    https://youtu.be/D7wxQmrrV_E
    This one was fun but...
    https://youtu.be/oB_jCHaQ_zA
  • shanaber
    Options
    I just realized I didn't post the link I thought I had to the ADD/ADHD video game podcast. If anyone wants it let me know.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d That viola is beautiful. I hope you enjoy it. Poor Mallory. I hope she is okay. You're painting is very good. You are very talented. I hope the rheumatologist can help figure out things to help you be in less pain.

@shanaber Love the videos. It sounds like you had a good time, even if the concert didn't live up to your expectations.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d That viola is beautiful. I hope you enjoy it. Poor Mallory. I hope she is okay. You're painting is very good. You are very talented. I hope the rheumatologist can help figure out things to help you be in less pain.

I doubt there is talent there. I am just surprised that it actually looks like something haha!

@shanaber post the link to the ADHD podcast when you get a chance.

Mallory is fine. She was the cutest lil chipmunk kitten for a day.
  • CMorning99
    Options
    Good morning!

I am back after a tiring and eventful 4 days off. We had a friend come and visit for those days so we were much more busy than normal and I am worn out. I did catch bug I think starting Friday. I woke up with my sinuses feeling a bit swollen (not stuffy). We went out running and saw the Falcon9 rocket launch and I figured I had allergies. By the end of the day if I swallowed really hard I felt a bit of a sore throat. We went out and ate all the things and went to a Melodrama on Friday night. We went to the MidState Fair and it was sooo hot! We were there only 2 hours after paying $65 for the 3 of us to park and get in LOL. We walked around and had a funnel cake and left. By the end of it I felt a bit more ick but I was also wicked dehydrated and hot. That evening I wasn't hungry but we went out and I nibbled. I got home and within an hour I was hit with terrible stomach pains...it felt like food poisoning. I slept 11 hours and woke up with still a tiny stuffy nose and sore throat and a lot milder stomach pains. Sunday I was tired but still did a few things and company left late morning.

DH asked if I wanted a COVID test, I didn't feel like going and finding one and so we will never know. The other weird thing was my TOM was 6 days LATE...I am clockwork! I am not sure what the symptoms are of COVID these days (I could still taste) and I am pretty sure stomach bug pains are not part of it.

Back at work today and still feel off and still have stomach pains (like actual stomach). Probably no point in a COVID test at this point. I skipped my run and plan to rest after work.

But going to start a new challenge anyway. The 16 day one seemed like a good timeframe, I will go 14 days from 25 Jul - 7 Aug. And my pants are so tight.

So Goals:

Vitamins daily (0/14)
    Run 40 miles
    Strength 4X
    Drink my 70oz water jug (0/14)
    5K steps a day (0/14)

There are a few other updates but this water is hitting my hard and fast...gotta run!

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    Sorry you are feeling poorly @CMorning99 I hope you feel better later today. Sounds like a good 4 days otherwise.