Daily Check In

Options

Replies

• sunshineyourway
    sunshineyourway Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday All. Well, the heat and humidity hit us yesterday and will be unbearable the next few day with temps reaching the 90's. Of coarse, it will be a hot one tomorrow on my run day. I set my alarm clock a little bit earlier and hope I can get out before 7 am.

I did a little decluttering today indoors and then outdoors I watered my plants and opened up my seedling greenhouse so those seedlings don't bake and die. Looks like the few spinach seedlings did die. Hoping they will come back. I have more seedlings inside the house but will wait until it cools down some. It is amazing, in the house seedlings have done so much better than the ones in the greenhouse.

I have been having some serious medical issues lately, that has gotten worse these past couple of months. It has really hurt my running a lot. Many doctor appointments and PT for Pelvic Floor. Hopefully these will help and I have a follow up with surgeon next month. Hoping I don't need another surgery, this will make 3 if I do.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.. Stay Cool and have Fun.
  • gloriawrightcook
    gloriawrightcook Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Whoa Becky, that is a lot of rain! I guess I didn't realize that the surgery would cause a large blood loss but now that I think of it, logically, yeah, it makes sense. I imagine the infusions will make you feel better pretty quickly. I know you are frustrated with your progress but I think you are doing well! You are managing your day to day, you are still helping your mom, you are doing the elliptical, you are still getting out to walk. One of my running friends had meniscus surgery a few months ago and they told her it will probably be at least six more months before she runs again and you had much bigger surgery than that, so I thin you are progressing pretty well considering!

I walked with my friend last night and then this morning I was going to run but I got such a late start and it was already in the 80s and the humidity was high. I told myself that I had to pace myself SLOW and I did and it went okay but yeah, so very slow. And that is why I have a problem these days because I am not pacing myself, I go at what used to be my pace but it isn't anymore and so I can't maintain it. Anyway, I did a couple of miles and then I did a mile walk. I know I am not going to be ready for my race that is on Memorial Day. Right now it seems like I am not progressing. There is a half marathon that I would like to do in October but at this point I am thinking I just need to keep working on the 5K and 10K distance and get myself back in shape. I have been in this same place for a couple of years now and I just am not progressing and then I try to do a half which is just miserable. Well, we will see how things go. My BFF wants to do the Rock 'n Roll half in Arizona in January, that is another thing to think about. I just am not sure if I should be planning these things right now.
  • basoranno
    basoranno Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Good Evening!
    Sharon-that is hot. We had 2 days of that. I know my niece up in New Hampshire had those temps also. Here I turned the furnace on this morning. 40 degrees this morning with a light frost. I hope you get things figured out with your health.
    Today was a much better day. I did my elliptical this morning and the rest of my exercises. I was having pain down the back of my thigh down the side and back of my calf. I assume it was my sciatic nerve. I finally got on the floor and used my foam roller. It did help but I need to find some other stretches. I ran errands afterwards and after lunch I walked the dogs. Forgot to stop my time when I stopped to talk to my neighbor so my pace looks like I crawled instead of walked. 10,000 steps today.
    I so want to do some jogging but my reg Dr told me to wait. I’ll listen to him.
    Gloria-I get how you want to do these races but you’re better off trying to build back up. You’ll get there again.
    I hope your Monday was nice. I’m doing great with watching what I eat. I need to hop on the scale. I’m shooting for Friday!
    Have a nice evening!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Sharon, we must have been posting at the same time the other day because I didn't see your post. I have heard great things about the PTs who do pelvic floor so I hope that works out. It's been icky hot here too but then yesterday and today it was all of the sudden cool and it felt cold really because we have had 90s and humid so much that I guess we were getting used to it.

Becky, I am actually thinking about changing my race on Monday from the 10k to the 5k. I don't know yet if I will. I know I can run 5k and I know I can WALK 10k so if I do the 10k, at least I know I can finish it by walking. I did do a 10k a week or so ago with run/walk intervals and that actually went very well so I just need to decide.

Yesterday and today I got out for short mileage runs - and did do intervals. Today went a little better, probably because it wasn't as hot. I started too late yesterday and it was just miserable. This morning wasn't speedy by any means but better. I felt good.

Well, it has been a fairly productive day, just doing things around the house. I am going to get some ret now so I can get up early and maybe walk or something. Have a great evening!
  • sunshineyourway
    sunshineyourway Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday All!

The weather outside is pretty yucky. Very warm and humid starting out. I think we must be in the same jet stream as you all. We had two nice days of lower temps and now today will be rainy bringing in very hot and humid 90's again. Next week will be in the 90's..

Thanks Becky and Gloria. I am really looking forward to my appointment now with surgeon. I have had issues with intestinal prolapse and I am now realizing that it is definitely back. After two surgeries over a 10 year period, I thought I would not have the same problem again. It sure is not a very pleasant problem. Glad I went ahead and started doing the indoor running.

Becky, I am almost thinking about getting an elliptical. Seems like a great way to keep the legs moving without the impact. I still always have wanted a treadmill, just not sure where I could fit it in the house.

Gloria, sounds like a great idea lowering your miles for race to 5K and just have fun on Monday's Race. Whatever you decide, have a great race and run happy!

So excited.. This morning when I got on the scale my weight was back down to what it was prior to the holidays. I did not gain much but it was just so hard to lose those few pounds. I have been following a low carb/keto diet ever since I found out my parents were both diabetic back in 1995. These days it is easier to follow since there are so many food products out there then back even 10 years ago. I do splurge about every two weeks and have two slices of pizza and since maintaining I am not so strict. I have found some low carb/ gluten free pasta that is very high in protein and fiber. OMGosh, they are so good. Even my husband likes it. For my sweet tooth, I have a Halo KETO Ice-cream Bar after dinner. I also found an online bakery where I get lots of my keto products such as Monk Fruit sweetener, Cereal and keto wraps.

Got to go and get my day started. Have a wonderful day and weekend!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Happy Friday! And a three day weekend. I know lots of people will be starting their summer stuff this weekend but it is also a time to remember, honor and commemorate those who died in the service of our country. And I always think of their families as well.

Sharon, keto would be good for me I think but I do have to be careful with my kidneys so I have never fully been able to do it. I mostly eat lean meat and veggies but I eat fruit too and sometimes some pizza or pasta. It is hard for me to do it because my husband mostly won't eat that way so I struggle with cooking. My friend suggested monk fruit but I don't do sweeteners really, other than when I do eat my dark chocolate bars or get a latte or something like that. Even my coffee beverages I have cut down big time, maybe one every couple of weeks or so and I try to get cold brew with a splash of sweet cream to cut down on the sugar. My husband is diabetic but he eats just JUNK JUNK JUNK and no veggies, pretty much fried chicken, burgers, french fries, pizza and some pasta. Every day he eats a lot of snacks - candy and chips. Ugh.

Well, today we have different weather for sure! It would have been great to run today. It is very cool, much less humid and a bit windy. I couldn't run because I had an appointment for wound care at the hospital first thing...for the spider bite. They told me it is stable and I thought that is good but nope, that isn't good because stable means it is more difficult for them to debride the dead tissue. They did get some of the tissue off though. I have a prescription for an enzyme which debrides and I have to keep it dry at all times - so if I do go in the pool or kayak, (and shower) I must keep it completely dry - I can wear a waterproof cast but those aren't foolproof. If it gets wet I need to change the dressing and right now I don't have a lot of extra dressing (they are shipping some to me but I don't know when it will arrive) so I guess I need to be careful for a few days. I have to go back every week until it is better.

Since it is nice I will try to get out later, don't know if I will run - I NEED to but I need to get to the store too. I have been getting some walks in with my friends so at least I am getting out there doing something. I've been hanging out with friends a lot this week and am feeling pretty overwhelmed at this point, went to an outdoor concert on Tuesday, for a walk and houseboat with friends Wednesday, lunch with my friend in Nashville yesterday, then walked with a friend last night. How in the world did I do all of this when I was working so much? LOL, it is one of life's mysteries.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    I had my 10k today! I wasn't last! But I was slow! I did do intervals, 1:1 run/walk intervals. Somewhere around 4 miles I think (mile four was my slowest mile), I kind of felt light headed and walked a bit more. but there was a water stop there (manned by many people I know) and they gave me a bit of gatorade and that was a huge pick me up. It was also pretty warm so at that point I also used a cup of cold water to pour on myself and that helped too. I was able to continue on easily. In fact, mile six was my second fastest mile so what I did definitely was helpful. I saw a ton of friends, both running it and volunteering.

I had to change the dressing on my spider bite today. DH helped me. Ugh, that is just nasty, I hope it heals really fast so I don't have to deal with this much longer.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good morning! We had a nice weekend. Warm but super windy. Parts of the state had some pretty bad storms. Quite a few tornado warnings. We had a couple of short lived storms go thru last night. Both woke me up with the high winds. Maybe lasted 10 min. Tops. this morning it’s windy and cooler and sunny.
    I’m at my iron infusion now but I did manage a walk by my house this morning and I finally walked at the hill. I’ve been going half way but today all the way. I’m always concerned about my knees on the way down. I’ve got to get some cleaning done today so that walk will be all I do today.
    Another busy week but next week should be more of a normal week again. I still keep waiting for this iron to kick in and for me to start feeling more like my old self.
    Sharon-I love my elliptical. I try and use it most days. My knees feel so much better afterwards. I will use it even if I’m going to go walking right now.
    Gloria-I didn’t realize it took that long for the bite to heal. Glad you were able to do that 10k.
    Cooler weather ahead. I may attempt the cemetery this week. I’ve always ran it. Never walked it so it should be interesting. That’ll definitely be the test of how well I’ve healed.
    I hope everyone has a good week.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Good Morning! It is hot and humid here but I think we might get some cooler weather later in the week. I got out for a walk this morning. I went to a different area of our peninsula - haven't walked or run over there since last summer.

Becky, these brown recluse bites, if one has a bad reaction I guess they can take months to heal. I was told when I was in the hospital it would be weeks or months. I thought it was healing well but then suddenly it just quit getting better. I was bitten on April 26th so it is has been over a month now.

Funny for these races, I was never fast but I was always middle of the pack. Now I am back of the pack. I just glad I am still out there. The back of the shirt from the race has the sponsors on it as usual, and right above the sponsors, it says GRATEFUL. That is what I am. :)
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Happy Global Running Day! I went out to do two miles to celebrate the day. Then I walked a little. Tonight I will meet with the gang at Fleet Feet - I would prefer to walk because it is going to be so stinking hot but they will likely want to run at least a little for Global Running Day so I am sure we will do at least a little bit. I have to change the dressing on the spider bite today, which I absolutely DREAD and I didn't sleep well at all last night because it just makes me so anxious.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Morning! I’ve always ran on global running day but not this year. Makes me bummed when I think about it. We’ve had some really beautiful weather. Minus the wind. Today not so much. Rain in the forecast this weekend. Won’t complain. Everything’s so dry. Yesterday I pretty much felt like my old self. I was up moving early. Did my Elliptical workout. Grocery shopped. Ran some errands. Mowed my moms grass and power washed her porch plus I had done laundry and hung it outside before I even left in the morning. I used to have all of this energy and could get lots done. Hopefully this is a sign that my iron infusions are working.
    Today I had plans to do some cleaning in the house but now I’m going to Rochester with my sons girlfriend. I really don’t feel like going but I owe her seeing as she’s gone with me. I’m just going to make her go to a store I want to go to. No other big plans for the weekend here. Just get my exercise in. Hopefully it won’t be a washout this weekend.
    Gloria-I just can’t imagine having a spider bite like that. I’d probably feel the same as you when having to change the bandage. I sure hope it heals soon for you.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Happy Saturday! I got up and did my run/walk with my friends. I started out doing 1:1 intervals and that went fine, even with the hills. I was going to do four miles but I ended up doing three miles of intervals and then I walked four more miles with them. It was a beautiful morning. It started out quite cool so I wore a long sleeved shirt but by the time we were done it was pretty warm!

Becky, I am glad the infusions seem to be working! How many did you say you have to have? I had my bloodwork done again on Thursday and my RBC is still low. They said it might be because of the spider bite but it has been this way since April 28th (I have had my blood taken six times since that day and now, and it has been consistently low, the spider bite happened on April 26th). I hope the doctor notices and prescribes a supplement or something. I am already taking extra vitamin C for the bite. I am not supposed to eat a lot of red meat because it causes inflammation and impacts my joints but I bought some ground beef and some steaks so maybe I can help myself out that way.
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    I thought I was going to run three miles this morning but DH got up early and wanted to go get breakfast. So I "hurried" and did two miles. It was so nice out. After that we did some housecleaning (DH is such a good helper). My arm is still not great but I am thinking I really need to get back to my strength training this coming week.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Another wet start. It’s not cold but it’s not all that warm either. Hopefully this rain will end soon and the rest of the day will be nice.
    Gloria-I have my last infusion tomorrow which will make 5 total. I will say, I’m not as exhausted as I was. I’m still tired but that could be because of my sleep being off. I drank too much water yesterday because I was up a few times last night . I need to watch that . I don’t eat much red meat but I’ve been forcing myself to eat it right now. I just don’t like the taste of it. Plus when I didn’t eat it in the past, I just seemed to feel better.
    My arthritis has been awful lately. I hurt more in the morning now. I have meds that my Dr prescribed to me but when I read about them, they mentioned something about iron so I decided to hold off on taking them until I’m done with this an I start feeling better. They’re supposed to basically take the place of all the NSAIDs I take during the day.
    Another indoor workout this morning. I’m tired of these. This week should be closer to normal finally. My weeks have been so off. We got caught up with house things yesterday. Still things to do but I can start working on them as I have the time. Summers so short. Hate to waste it inside.
    Time to figure out if it’s an Elliptical morning or a treadmill morning.

Have a great day!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    It was pretty nice here when I got outdoors, a bit warm for that early in the morning but the humidity was still low and there was such a nice breeze. Now it is so humid and there will be rain and storms later. I need to back off the distances with my running and focus on building my endurance back up so I decided to do a mile today - straight running and no intervals. It was slow but for the heat, I thought it was good. Then I walked for a while. I am going to focus on these short distances but I still need to do some longer runs because I have a four mile race coming up - so I will do some short runs like today and I will do some longer ones with run/walk intervals, and I need to get some hills and track work in there too.

Becky, hope the rain has cleared there. We really need some rain here - They keep predicting a lot but then it never happens. Earlier in the year and last year we got way too much, now we aren't getting much at all - like the other day was supposed to be an all day rain event and then we got some sprinkles...and that was it. Funny because yesterday we only had a 4% chance of rain and it rained for about 15 minutes, nothing heavy but it was still nice to get some. Today it is supposed to rain a lot and on the radar it does look like rain is coming but we will see because we have heard that before.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Evening! I hope everyone is having a nice weekend. Yesterday was a beautiful day. All I did for exercise was to walk my dog but I got plenty of steps in. It’s my shopping day so I had running around to do. We had a campfire last night so it was a late night and today we’ve had on and off rain today plus we’re seeing more humidity now.
    No exercise today. Rest day. I’ve been tired. Tomorrow everyone leaves for a wedding. I’m staying back because of my one problem dog. I’m fine with that because it’s a 3 plus hr drive and it’s tough riding that long. I will be exercising and getting things done and spending time with my mom.
    Hot and humid starts Tuesday. I’m ready for summer weather.
    Have a nice evening!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Good Morning! The weather here is beyond hot. The heat index/feels temp yesterday got up to 112 degrees. It is really too hot to run. Yesterday I walked and today I did a run/walk/run for a couple of miles, then walked the rest of the way home. It was already in the 80s when I left the house with heat index/feels like in the 90s. I don't see any end of this in sight - however, the dew point should be done a bit for the weekend so that will offer a bit of relief for a couple of days (the highs will still be in the 90s but the lower humidity will be nice).

Becky, hope you are getting some GOOD summer weather - but not the stuff we are getting here. It is really hard to breathe in this humidity. We have heat advisories - if I go early enough, I can manage a short run.

I went to Fleet Feet yesterday to pick up a shirt I had on hold - it was on clearance. It's not really so much of a running shirt as an every day shirt but I think it is versatile and I could wear it to run too.

Stay hydrated everyone!

• basoranno
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Gloria-it seems like a lot of people are getting that heat. We had the one day where the feel like temp was 108. Yesterday we had rain. Today we should see mid to upper 80’s but low humidity and windy so it’s not all that bad.
    I did my elliptical workout this morning and then I took my dog for a walk. It was a training walk so I didn’t log it. This week has been a good week for my legs. I’ve gotten in more exercise and I weeded my flower beds and my knees have really held up. I’m hoping That I’m making progress now and this will continue.
    Plus My weight is now going in the right direction. I still have a ways to go but I’m making progress.
    Hopefully I’ll be in a good spot come Fall. I don’t want to have to buy all new pants. I just need to get thru these weekends. Too easy to fall off the wagon on the weekends. Especially this time of year.
    I hope everyone gets relief from those temps soon. I know it’s going to be summer soon but triple digit temps aren’t fun.
    Have a wonderful day!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Happy Friday EVE!! Becky sounds like you are doing so well! I am so very glad for you. I know you have been working hard to recover from your surgery, and then having your knees hurt on top of that. You are making such great progress.

Yes, the heat and humidity here seems to be never ending. It looks like we will get a couple of days with lower humidity, still very hot though. Then next week probably it will be back in the 100s, at least according to the current forecast. Currently the actual temp here is 95 and the heat index/feels like is 107 and it is still early, it will get warmer as the afternoon goes on. It's the humidity that is so bad - even in the mornings when I try to run.

I am trying to run a little bit, a mile here, a couple of miles there. If I run further I am doing run/walk/run intervals because it is just too hot. My pace has been very slow but I think it is okay in this weather and if I can keep it up and build up my distance, I should have a good start for fall training. I haven't decided what races or distances I am going to do - I told my friend that I wasn't doing the Half Monkey this year and she was super sad. I told her I might change my mind. Then I was hoping to do the Women's Half in Indy but they have changed it up so much that now I am not sure if I want to - I am not ruling it out yet. But I would rather stick with 10K or less for the time being - so unless I am really enticed or talked into it, maybe I won't be doing half marathons for now. Plus I keep thinking I should get a job and if I do, that will probably mean long hours, a long commute, and no time to exercise.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good evening! I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. Ours started out wet. It was supposed to rain all day but it’s been dry most of the day. It is very humid plus no breeze whatsoever.
    It was a hot week here. They kept raising the temps as the week went on. Doesn’t really bother me because there was always a breeze. Tomorrow a slight cool down but the heat will be back.
    I haven’t been down to the lake in quite awhile. The knats have been bad and I prefer to work with my dog. Just wish I could find a place to take him where it’s just him and I. Anywhere we go, there’s unleashed dogs running. He’s too big for me to have to deal with that by myself, but we’re working on it. Hopefully someday soon we’ll conquer that.
    Gloria-I wish I could do that mile here and there. I used to run when it was humid and hot. My BIL is down in FL and went out early this morning for a run and he said it was awful. I couldn’t imagine it now. The advantage with running is you can get done sooner.
    Just thought I’d pop in here to see how everyone is doing. I hope you all have a nice weekend.