Options
    User: kcpond

Weigh In Day: Wednesday
    PW (Previous Weight): 248.9
    CW (Current Weight):247.3
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much @CasandraW. The weekend was emotional, especially since there was also a brief scare at the Washington, D.C. rally when people started running in fear because someone in the audience scared them. I was nearby but far enough away to observe more calmly what was unfolding. However, many of the people who have survived gun violence were really shaken up and I felt so sad that they had come to promote positive change, and remember their loved ones, only to experience the post-traumatic stress of reliving the past events. Yesterday, there were many tasks I was hoping to accomplish but my mind kept wondering and I felt really tired.

I was a little disappointed with myself last night because I pushed so many things to today but I feel better now. I slept a little better last night and my mind is not as foggy and distracted. I was also able to row this morning - twice! - and can feel the benefits of spending time outside and exercising.

My dog also had a good walk and we’re ready to face the day with a fresh perspective. Thanks again for your support, Cassandra, and all the Shape Shifter group members! Best wishes for the rest of the week. We’re halfway through —

Enjoy!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    @coblujay - Let’s reset and face the day anew! The next decision is all that matters. Let’s make it a good one. Good job on the hike. I’ll bet you felt a sense of accomplishment after a healthy walk outdoors. I’m going to carry that image forward with me today. Every choice is another chance to be the person we want to be. Take care!
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,087 Member
    Options
    kcpond wrote: »
    User: kcpond

Weigh In Day: Wednesday
    PW (Previous Weight): 248.9
    CW (Current Weight):247.3

Very nice loss @kcpond! WTG!
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal Emotional days can be exhausting...glad you slept better last night and were able to clear your head a bit. I've been resting myself, in between a few appointments, but I'm enjoying my time away from work. Hope you have a great rest of the week!
    Jess
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Recently, I agreed to serve as one of the Shape Shifters motivators. So, I thought I’d ask:

-What motivates you? Are there any typical motivation approaches that don’t work for you, or have the opposite effect?

Here is a list to help prompt your thinking and I encourage you to add your own thoughts and ideas.

-Praise,
    -Recognition,
    -Celebrating milestones,
    -Receiving peer support,
    -Encouragement,
    -Sharing your knowledge/skills on health,
    -Feedback
    -Tracking progress data,
    -Positive quotes of encouragement/success,
    -Correcting/being ‘called out’ for accountability,
    -Setting group goals for us to work toward,
    -Describing the value/purpose of a specific aspect of fitness or weight loss,
    -Visualizing what success looks like,
    -Problem-solving together,
    -Learning together about a particular health or fitness topic,
    -Helping to reframe negative thinking/ behaviors,
    -Demonstrating active listening/ feeling “heard,”
    -Offering a safe place to experiment with new approaches to improving health (and a safe place to share ‘failure’ and learn from it).

I’d love to hear what works - or doesn’t work - for you. How can we improve this space so you can find the support or motivation that helps you thrive? Do you feel supported within other groups you belong to, outside of the Shape Shifters? What kind of environment brings out the best in you?
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    To tell the truth @PatriceFitnessPal at times I don't feel supported here - when I post things here, most times there's really no reaction/response, but maybe it's just me - so I've been keeping to myself - I feel disjointed here
    So for me I use the activity tracker that's set up and I write goals down in a journal + track my steps
    I use Pinterest- I set up a motivation board for workouts and anxiety board to look at things when I need help
    And I do read everyone's post and react
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    @Jax_Grim - I can only imagine how scary and frustrating the waiting period must be for you! I share your disappointment in the U.S. health insurance system. We really need to invest in health since that’s the foundation for everything else — learning, employment, etc. I hope you get your monitor soon and can quickly resolve the problem.
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Thanks for your quick response to my questions about motivation, @LaurieWrobo!

It sounds as though the Habit Tracker is working well for you. Do you think it would be helpful to create some opportunities here in the chat area to report our tracking progress data and offer ideas and/or feedback to one another?

I’m trying to brainstorm how we might link the two spaces if it would contribute in a positive way. Of course, we don’t need to use every tool or resource available to F2F members. So, I’m not trying to push a connection if it’s not useful, but what do you all think?

The Pinterest Boards sound interesting. I had never heard of an anxiety board. Does it include pictures that soothe you or is it something else? I can imagine a board with pictures showing active people doing different exercises that motivate you yo try them but I can’t really picture a motivating anxiety board. I’m going to look it up —

I’m sorry to hear you’re not getting the kind of support you need when you post things here. I remember a few people apologizing and committing to make an extra effort to respond when you shared your perspective about not really getting any reaction/response. Can you reflect a little on what type of response would feel good to you? e.g., encouragement, feeling heard, or is there something else that motivates you?

Usually, I comment on the posts just before mine (at the time I visit the site), but I don’t always go back very far because it feels as though I missed the opportunity to join that ‘conversation.’ Also, I’ll often react to a comment but I don’t always say ‘good loss’ in response to a simple weigh-in report. Typically, I’ll just select the ‘like’ icon in that case so it doesn’t make someone else feel badly about reporting a gain. If we are learning and progressing along a comfortable forward trajectory, that’s worth celebrating, too!

Thanks again for answering the questions posed. I’m looking forward to hearing more from you and others.
  • Walela617
    Walela617 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thank you Jessica! I will correct on this Sunday's weigh-in, Week 4.

Today's steps: 13,436 Wed. 6/15

We had a very active function at work and I also walked to and from work today!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    Here’s my weekly maintenance weigh-in report:

Name: PatriceFitnessPal
    Weigh-in Day: Thursday

PW: 128.3
    CW: 127.5

SW: 168
    LTD: 40.5

Maintenance range: 120-130
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal my anxiety board has positivity mantras thoughts, chakra items to help me realign my thoughts
    I don't know how you can link the two - i think you're already doing it with the Challenge every week
    I don't know what would help - I guess I'll just keep plugging along
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    To tell the truth @PatriceFitnessPal at times I don't feel supported here - when I post things here, most times there's really no reaction/response, but maybe it's just me - so I've been keeping to myself - I feel disjointed here
    So for me I use the activity tracker that's set up and I write goals down in a journal + track my steps
    I use Pinterest- I set up a motivation board for workouts and anxiety board to look at things when I need help
    And I do read everyone's post and react

@lauriewrobo I can relate to your comments, even as a leader here, I feel my notes get very little attention. There are a few people who stay in touch with me and when I get those one or two notes, I try to wring every emotion from them that I can. I'm not sure if it's just me feeling needy during those times, but I so badly want to post "Leaders need love too!" messages and I know that would be childish on my part. I wish I had time to answer every single post but I just don't, so I try to hit the highlights and I also leave PMs or notes on as many announcement threads as I can both on Fitbit and on MFP with those on my friends list. I'm sorry that you feel slighted, Laurie and I sincerely hope it wasn't me who failed to answer you, especially on days when you really needed a response. I keep telling myself on days when I feel that way, people are just busy, but that doesn't help when you're hurting and need that one ray of sunshine to hit you. I've been reminded by others in leadership too that there will always be those who aren't very chatty or aren't interested in that level of support, so too, it's hard to know who's at what level.

Perhaps we should all strive for a little more companionship and support...good lesson for all of us.

Thanks for sharing!
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    Jax_Grim wrote: »
    Step Goal 14k
    6/12 - 9377
    6/13 - 15146
    6/14 - 14260

I had to go to the ER on Sunday. My heart was acting up again and I was hoping to get the ECG so they could diagnose it. It managed to stop having issues seconds before they had me hooked up. I have to wait a few more weeks before I get a 30 day monitor. I had to pay $50] out of pocket for it despite having 2 insurances. US healthcare...

Did you have steps on the 11th? Please advise. I hate US healthcare BTW, it's too profit driven and not patient driven. Wish we had universal HC as Canada does and most other nations...
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    Options
    Anyone have a recommendation for next week's Group Challenge? I could do another Bingo as most people love those...or a walking/running challenge...or something on self-care...any thoughts/suggestions/complaints/comments??
    Jessica
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    @jessicakrall8 I'm not a big participant in the weekly group challenges but I do like the idea of the self care ones. I'll put some thought into it
This discussion has been closed.