Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,681 Member
    Options
    Didn't make the stirfry last night - will make it this afternoon. That should be good as a main meal for three days. It is still chilly and rainy out here - so warm meals are the ticket.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Made a Mexican lasagna for lunch today because I had half a box of noodles, refried beans (nonfat), salsa and some low-fat pepper jack cheese. Tossed in onions and cilantro. We’ll see how it turns out. I figure it’s about 400 calories for a 4” square. A salad to go with it.
    Between the lasagna and breakfast, I have 400-500 calories left for the rest of day?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That sounds good, Yooly!

I still haven't made my stirfry. Was out all day - just got home and it is too late/I'm too hungry to prep veggies to make a stirfry. So it is boiled baby potatoes/veggie hotdogs topped with a half serving of chilli (from the freezer). Quick!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Cooking up a big batch of kapusta (kraut) with apples, onions and caraway seeds. Some for Sunday dinner with sausages and mashed potatoes. The rest goes into the freezer for future meals.
    I’m still working on trying to do all my eating in a ten hour window although for me it’s more like 12 hours. My biggest challenges are the grab and go snacks that don’t seem to register in my head as “real” calories. But they sure do register on the scale!!!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I have that problem with nuts. I'll grab a five or six almonds or walnuts - and they don't feel like anything but wow those calories add up.
  • lauriekallis
    edited October 2022
    Options
    That sounds good, Yooly. Very appropriate for fall - does this mean your temperatures are staying cooler??

Today will hopefully / finally be my stir-fry day. It has to be or those veggies in the fridge are going to spoil.
    I'm working on a garage door mural - which is a bit challenging physically. The shoulder is starting to complain - and sitting on the ground for hours yesterday working on the lower levels (the door doesn't open) left me a bit stiff this morning. Today I will work "higher" :)
    Fingers crossed I will/can keep my eye on the stir-fry prize and come home after a few hours and cook ... I'm only going to work for two hours at a time - and today I will only bring the pups for the first session. Yesterday they were getting a bit restless.

Stirfry stirfry stirfry STIRFRY!!!!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Man, it's been some time since I did a stir-fry too, good idea!

Papoutsakia day today!

np0isxE.jpg

rbCIKoR.jpg
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    Did pretty good yesterday.

Breakfast was just a iced red tea latte with oat milk and honey. Found a coffee and tea shop that has multiple fun decaf options. And it is like a block away or so.

Lunch was a Cobb salad. Nothing special but it hit the spot after a lot of walking in the warm weather.

Dinner was pad thai because I forgot to take out the burger patties to thaw. Ordered for a place nearby. Really good. Loved that they had cabbage mixed in with the noodles for added crunch and veg. Another place that is super close!

Finally I had an apple turnover with a single scoop of vanilla ice cream. It was okay. Kinda sad I wasted calories on it. Oh well.

Gonna start today with an almond croissant and some water before I head out for the day. No clue what the rest of the day will bring food wise. Kinda depends how much time I spend at the museum.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Omg Dante - torturing us yet again with a spectacular meal! I had to look up the recipe because it’s finally cool enough here to use the oven. Definitely on my to do list because we love eggplants.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That looks delicious, Dante! Is it similiar to moussaka flavour wise?
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Today we had chicken quesadillas for lunch and then the array of varied things for dinner. I had rotini with red sauce with turkey sausage seasoned Italian style in it. Fiance had red sauce with sausage in it but over pan-seared zucchini chunks. Girlfriend had rotini in cheese sauce with hamburger and broccoli stirred in, cause she doesn't eat red sauce and loves broccoli.

I have started walking the dog three times a day. Varying distances as I can only handle the pulling for so long, but he's gradually getting the idea that hey, maybe you don't have to pull, if you walk alongside Mom, you'll get there five seconds later and she'll let you check all the smells you want and patiently wait while you try to pee higher on the post than all the other dogs have done.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Omg Dante - torturing us yet again with a spectacular meal! I had to look up the recipe because it’s finally cool enough here to use the oven. Definitely on my to do list because we love eggplants.
    That looks delicious, Dante! Is it similiar to moussaka flavour wise?

Pretty similar, you can view this as "moussaka light" in a way. It is also far faster and easier to make (a must for an idiot like me) :D

Have in mind that we also use a vegan/fasting version of papoutsakia here, substituting the minced meat with mushrooms+more veggies.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Ive made moussaka with lentils instead of minced meat - I imagine the papoutsakia would be must faster - definitely trying this soon!
  • Athijade
    Options
    Yesterday I ended up not having the croissant before I left, though I stopped at the tea shop and go another red tea latte with oatmilk and honey. SO good. Then I had a slice of cheese pizza at the museum. Finally I came home and had the left over pad thai plus a slice of apple pie for dessert. So not the healthiest of days.

Today I will have the croissant for breakfast in a bit. Lunch is still a question mark (maybe a salad or a frozen meal or a ready to heat meal from the store) but dinner with be a cheeseburger with mac and cheese and 3 bean salad.

• Athijade
    Options
    So the almond croissant was good, but not great. Too little filling. So I don't think I am going to eat the other one. I hate wasting food but it's just not worth the calories.

I ended up having a ready to eat meal yesterday when I ran to the store. It was a chicken tamale, rice, and refried beans. Really good. I will for sure get this one again or even just the tamales and doctor them up. Like a tamale with some lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, and sour cream (and/or guacamole) on top. I think that would be amazing.

So today the plan is:
    Breakfast: Oatmeal with PB, banana, and blueberries
    Lunch: Salad with romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, blue cheese, and chicken
    Dinner: Cheeseburger (no bun... I didn't like the buns I got), mac and cheese, and 3 bean salad

I will have the last slice of apple pie with ice cream tonight for dessert.
  • Athijade
    Options
    Decided to go out to dinner tonight.

So I am downtown in the office today because I had to get a professional picture taken for my ID and the website. (1) I hate having my picture taken. (2) I had to get up an hour and a half earlier then normal. (3) I had to figure out what bus to take and where I had to get off which was stressful.

As such, I made a reservation for after work at one of my favorite downtown loop restaurants. Which means I get to have wonderful German food including German Potato Salad and Black Forest Cake. The place is like 2 blocks away. After I eat I will splurge and get a Lyft back home since it will be getting or will already be dark.
  • Yoolypr
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Sounds like quite an eventful day for you Athijade! Glad you were able to at least save the day with a good German dinner. The only way for me to get German food is to make it myself because German restaurants are nonexistent here. Sad😢.

I’m trying to be restrictive this week because we’re going to Santa Fe next week. Much Indian fry bread, enchiladas, & chilaquiles will be eaten!

So today I’m having tuna salad with some Wasa crackers for lunch. Dinner will be soup and salad. Maybe vanilla yogurt and a banana later?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    What a great example you set for us with this plan, Yooly.

Athijade - was dinner good????
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I’ll be taking food pictures in Santa Fe ala Dante! My game plan is to eat half of everything- hubby can easily polish off what I can’t eat! And there’s going to be lots of walking.
    Hope to get back home without too much damage. It will take a week to lose the airplane swelling and salty food water weight though. Worth it!👍
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I have no idea how the eating will go in Newfoundland these coming weeks. Kids don't have their house finished - though there might be a working kitchen soon - not sure where I'll be sleeping. But as a vegetarian in rural Newfoundland I'll definitely be a fish out of water :) Thank goodness my daughter in laws mother is wonderful - kind and a good cook! - and there home will probably be home base - so I'm in very good hands <3