Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    @CMorning99 Glad to see things are moving along and that black cat seems to be holding his own. I hope your rheumatology appointment went well. Teddy Roosevelt said "Comparison is the thief of joy." It's hard not to, but he is right. I know that doesn't help, but thought I'd throw it out there. I wish I would listen to my hunger clues, but I don't. I eat because I think I need to and if I get full and there's still food on the plate.......well...... That's why I can't seem to keep my weight where it should be. I know that. Doing something about it is another story altogether.

@Avidkeo I'm glad you are loving your plan. I sort of like hill repeats. They make me feel fast and powerful. Enjoy the Elton John concert. That quilt is amazing! I love the backing you chose! You are very talented and I'm sure your friend is going to love it!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @Avidkeo Ohhhhh enjoy Elton! That would be a fun show to see!! And I LOVE the quilt! I love owls too.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    @Avidkeo - I love the quilt! It is beautiful! I hope you have a wonderful time at Elton!
    @CMorning99 - besides building your house, remind us again what all else you are trying to get done at the ranch?

I have been having IBS issues the worst that I have had in a long time. Tuesday I essentially spent the day in my jammies. I did send a note to my PCP but she is out until next week. I have a video appointment though for when she returns. I'm trying to get out and move as much as possible and even got a run in yesterday after my body decided to calm down a bit.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Good morning!

Friday roll call!

@shanaber We are working on splitting the property into 2, 5 acre parcels. That is what all these surveys and new maps are for. The county is treating me like a developer since I am "creating" a new lot. We haven't even started the county process to build our house. Right now our architect is working on the engineering for the house.

Rheumatology appt was a *kitten* show. After all the back and forth with my records, the Doc said she didn't have anything and wanted to order all new stuff and see me in a month. I only did the bloodwork there since she ordered a full panel and I am curious what my numbers look like. I later got a call from the hospital with "questions about my insurance"...but again they just gave me a number that goes to a recording. These people are clueless. After 5 months of trying, I finally get told that it might kind of sound like rheumatoid but I don't have the classic symptoms so we can give you a drug what is terrible and see what happens. FFFF that!

On a good note, my podiatry referral went right through and I already have an appt in 2 weeks.

The oncologist called back about black cat. She said his kidney values were slowly getting worse but not enough to warrant sudden and extreme weight loss. So we are switching chemo and unfortunately the new one is injectable...so every 3 weeks for ???? we have to drive 1.5 hours for a 4-6hr appt. We will have to alternate on who takes PTO to take him. His new appetite increaser is also an anti-depressant and little dude is wild! He is bouncing off the walls and all about being up in our business. Grey cat thinks he is annoying.

I met the new DDA prosecutor yesterday...I was not impressed. She had read the reports but hadn't looked at any of the photos or anything and so she was really confused by the layout of the ranch (and the changes I have made). It was obv she had not done her homework yet and we are maybe 2 months out...but then she even said that date was just kinda "thrown out there". [Insert screaming]. The Detective did tell me a story about how LS while he was snooping around the ranch when my Mom had run into town, he tried to ride one of our "donkeys". I am not entirely sure what he tried to ride since city folk have a hard time telling a donkey from a mule from a horse (and there were all three up there)...but the Detective said LS admitted it didn't go well for him. He also said that LS had anger issues and that he had been living with his grandparents and he got angry one day and trashed their house so they threw him out. He had been renting a room but was having issues there because I guess he thought once he was an adult he could do whatever he wanted and was mad people still told him no. Adulting is hard.

Eating was ? this week. I really tried to work on eating when I was hungry. But like the book said, after years of dieting, I can't read my hunger cues. IDK if I believe in true intuitive eating, there are always decisions and choices to control what we eat. One critic said it was the "kitchen pass for the privileged white woman to walk around with a donut". I def see both sides.

No exercise this week.

Have a great weekend!

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Concert got cancelled at the literal last minute. Its been raining, and the rain got so heavy that there was flooding everywhere. Even the venue was becoming a lake. So they had to cancel. Driving back to the hotel took about an hour (we were only about 2 miles from the venue) because of so much surface flooding. I went to drive down one road and turned around because I wasn't confident the car would make it.

Here are some pics of our non-concert.
    wsi0d9d9jqa8.jpg
    s6e9erc99fh3.jpg
    qjdvvafd48ho.jpg

And now our flights home have been cancelled so I get an extra day of hanging out with my friend, which is one bonus! I did bring my running gear but don't think it's safe to run today.
  • quilteryoyo
    @shanaber Sorry about your IBS. I'm glad you were able to get a video appointment for next week. You do great to get out and do what you can.

@CMorning99 Sorry the rheumatology appoint went so badly. The AF isn't what it used to be. I'm glad Black Cat is doing okay, but that the meds is making him wild. Hugs for the trail. It must be awful with things always up in the air. I hope you have a great weekend too.

@Avidkeo Sorry the concert got cancelled but it looks like you and your friend still had a good time....and bonus to get to spend another day together.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Hi all. I’m trying to get back to logging food daily. I haven’t logged since losing Alex. I am afraid of the scale. The lunar year is the bunny. I am trying to learn to eat like one, more veggies.

I’ve submitted my applications for graduate schools. OU is relatively close and the best choice. I also applied to Johns Hopkins… who knows until you try lol! Doubtful but eh why not. I’ll try to catch up again soon.

Miss everyone
  • quilteryoyo
    edited January 2023
    I wondered where you have been @swenson19d . Glad to see you back. Fingers crossed that you will be accepted into graduate school. When will you find out?

I made a couple of batches of Super Hero Muffins yesterday. I have the ingredients for another kind, but ran out of unsalted butter. LOL I'm hoping these will give me a semi-nutritious snack when I'm running short on time.
  • shanaber
    @CMorning99 - that is really awful that the rheumatology appointment went so wrong! It isn't unusual for them not to be able to give you a definitive 'it is this' diagnosis. While I have some of the markers for lupus they can't say I definitively have lupus but gave it a more nonspecific name and put me on a common medication used for treating lupus that has few downsides. The rheumatologist told me it doesn't help everyone and it may end up a trial and error process. Fortunately it has helped - hasn't made all the symptoms go away completely and they still flare up but it is so much better than before.

@Avidkeo - I am so sorry the concert was cancelled! Will they reschedule and honor your tickets? Glad you were able to spend extra time hanging out with your friend! Also hope you made it home!

Hey there @swenson19d! My DD went to grad school at Johns Hopkins. She never thought she would get in either so you never know! It's a great school but in a really crappy area. She took the subway and had an ID that let her (and other students) go into an underground passageway from the subway directly into the Public Health buildings. It was great for personal safety as well as in the winter when it was so cold out! How would you manage being away from home for the duration of the graduate program?

@quilteryoyo - is there salt as a separate ingredient in your recipe? When I don't have unsalted butter I use regular and cut back on the added salt in the recipe. It has never been a problem so far.

I am trying to eat more of a Mediterranean diet... so far mostly unsuccessfully but I am trying baby steps. Doesn't help that DH gets donuts for breakfast and BBQ for dinner... I did have a donut (part before my run and part after) and not much else the rest of the day and I ordered a green salad with the BBQ so that helped I guess. I just need to eat better and more of it. When I hang around 1200-1400 calories my body wants to hang on to every ounce. I have data going back years and I can see calories vs weight and there is a direct correlation, assuming the logging and caloric amounts are somewhat accurate. I am also sure that my eating is not helping all the IBS and other issues even with lots of veggies and fiber...

• AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,902 Member
    The weather has me sullen and sulking. I do not like cold (rain, wind). Looks like the next week, we go back to winter. We had a day of Spring on Saturday and one last week. I am struggling today and trying to figure out what other triggers have set me off to want to eat everything. My weight went up again and I am pretty certain it is the sodium levels, but still sets me off. It does not help me at all that I snack on Splenda. I did get to go back to church, but Mom's friends left (church split over the last month). I told her we will be staying right where we are because neither she, nor I want to deal with looking for another church home. I like this church, but I do not take a great deal of time to meet/greet others. My sole focus is on managing the environment to keep my mother safe.

I was not able to keep up with my running partners on Saturday. Knowing I fell, my hip aching, but still put myself down. I know that is wrong, but it is so completely awesome to 'have friends' that I fear they will not run with me.

I really do not know what I am typing/saying. I am reaching out in my own way. There are so many things flashing through my brain.
    I just finished a good book and working through another.
    Stop Overthinking by Nick Trenton
    The Yamas & Niyamas by Deborah Adele (running partner wanted to do this together)

Just a vent, trying to keep food beast in his cage. I appreciate having a spot to drop some of this.

• quilteryoyo
    @shanaber The recipe does have some sea salt, so I could probably substitute and just leave that out. Thanks for the idea. Good luck with the Mediterranean diet. I'm not following any specific diet, but am trying to get back to less processed foods. I really have been horrible about that lately and I can tell it.

@AlphaHowls I get the weather being depressing. After church today, I spent the afternoon on the couch napping and watching TV. It was good weather for that. I'm glad that you and your mom were able to make it back to church. Sorry your mom's friend isn't going there anymore. I know that makes it different for you both, but you need to go where you both are comfortable. I'm sure your running partners understood why you couldn't keep up and are in awe of the fact that you ran at all. Once you heal, you'll be back out there out running them. You can reach out and vent here anytime you want. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

I did get in a 2 mile walk on the treadmill for my "rest" day, after spending the afternoon on the couch. I ate way to much for lunch today - my Aunt's church had a fundraiser meal. Mom and I helped with that and then ate. I should have only eaten half and saved the rest for tomorrow, but no. I ate it all. I'll be sorry tomorrow. But, I always overeat on Sundays, so I try to not stress about it. I am working at daycare tomorrow, so I have made a salad to take for lunch. Now, as long as the kids don't have something I really love for lunch, and there are leftovers, I should be good. I have such a hard time passing up free pasta especially.
  • CMorning99
    Good morning!

@avidkeo Bummer about the concert, are they rescheduling?

@Shanaber I really don't know what I have. I feel like it is not rheumatism, but just plain old wear and tear. MRIs are a last resort so maybe I can get one on my hands. I did ask for an MRI of my neck, we will see if my PCM agrees. My neck has always been poppy and grindy so maybe it is a pinched nerve. I love a Mediterranean meal plan, I am just too damn lazy LOL.

@swenson19d I don't know how you have the patience for so much school LOL. The thought of writing a paper still sounds terrible after 12 yrs from graduating.

@AlphaHowls Weather is always an excuse for me now LOL. I used to run in the bitter cold in the dark and that just sounds so unkind to myself. Now if the weather is terrible or I am "resting"...I go for a walk, I tend to find I enjoy it more sometimes.

@quilteryoyo I love superhero muffins! I have both Shalane's cook books, I just need to get over being so lazy LOL

The weekend went well! I didn't have to go up to the ranch since I went up during the week so we had Saturday all to ourselves! We did some house cleaning and caught up on some paperwork. I gave the grey and black cat baths and they are sooo floofy! Grey cat has so much matting though, I need to get after that little by little. I also got some reselling done. Sunday was a usual thrifting day and I worked in my office a bit. I was tired though and went to bed early.

I weighed myself and it seems I have not really gained weight in 6 months. Holding steady. Just holding too high LOL. I packed a gym bag today and plan on doing a good walk after work. Since it seems I have reached equilibrium on eating, I don't want to change that...so that leaves exercise. Now to either come to terms my body has a happy weight that I don't like, or try to not eat back exercise if I get hungrier.

Best get to the week!

• quilteryoyo
    Sounds like a nice weekend @CMorning99 . I hadn't made the blueberry,beet, molasses muffins before. I was afraid of what they were going to taste like, but they were pretty good.
  • shanaber
    @Avidkeo - saw reports of lots of flooding and issues in New Zealand. Hope you all are safe!
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    @shanaber The JH programme is online and requires one visit per semester. The visits are 2-5 days. All of the DNP programmes online have this component. OU is the most practical. It is the cheapest and closest. IDK what eric would say to a 25K/semester education. Not sure I could, but JH seems like it'd be a wonderful opportunity. It is a 3 year programme from the BS. That seems odd, I think OU is 5.

@CMorning99 I know. The school does get a bit demanding, but I am not doing anything else, well other than dogging doggo's. If I didnt stay engaged, I am sure I'd get dangerously depressed.

@quilteryoyo OU deadline is June 1st. JH seems to be rolling. the deadline was jan 15 but still is accepting apps. SO... IDK on JH. OU hoping July-ish.

• AlphaHowls
    Keeping head up, isolated, no contacts over last few days due to ice storm.
    Had a moment when a phrase I know hit me hard:

If nothing changes, nothing changes.

OUCH!
    It applies to me to and not just a phrase for me to repeat. Stripping my food down and will make a daily effort to reduce sugar and increase protein. Not telling myself I cannot have sugar or desserts, just need to reduce to see difference and work on fueling patterns.
  • quilteryoyo
    @AlphaHowls Fortunately, we didn't get the ice storm here, just rain. Stay safe. I hope the trees don't break power lines. That's the worst. I like that quote. You can do it. I'm with you about not telling myself I can't have something. If I try to cut out something all together, that's the one thing I "have" to have. You can do it. I'm pulling for you.
  • shanaber
    I am a big proponent of 'everything in moderation' and I also don't cut things out of my diet. As a kid my mom used to have me on terrible diets (think grapefruit and cottage cheese) with so many things I wasn't allowed to have. I would literally save my allowance and stop at our small local grocery store to buy and then hoard candy bars or cookies because they were 'off limits'. I didn't even like them much but it was the idea that they were forbidden that made them so attractive. Now I can have a cookie or a small piece of chocolate and I am good.

@AlphaHowls - when the weather is so bad can you talk on the phone with your friends just to have some contact or even do a Zoom or FaceTime call? Would that help with the feelings of isolation? I know during the worst of the pandemic we did that with a group of our friends and it was a lifesaver. These friends live all over the country so we rarely get to see most of them anyways but having that hour or so of conversation and laughter really helped all of us. Now we have continued to have a call once a month just to stay in touch.

I had my video doctor appointment yesterday. She wasn't very happy with me for not contacting her sooner about the IBS issues. Sent me for bloodwork, urinalysis, etc. and I am scheduled to see the gastroenterologist on Friday (they had a cancellation so they could get me in quickly). I am hoping to at least get some ideas on how to mitigate the issues so they don't get so bad. This has been the worst flare I have had. In the past they have pretty much resolved on their own after a few days so I kept waiting expecting it would get better in a day or so.
    TMI under the split...
    As a result of all the constipation I am now dealing with terrible hemorrhoids. These are so painful and much worse than I ever had, even after giving birth to my daughter. They make everything difficult, sitting, standing, bending over, walking and even sleeping. Of course I have to keep moving and walking or the IBS will get worse so... I am gritting my teeth and getting it done but probably not running.
  • AlphaHowls
    @shanaber
    I realize that 'isolated' was the wrong choice. I am lone wolf for the most part. I prefer 'isolation' to dealing with social interactions. I do text my friends maybe once a week, but never been much into technology.

IBS - C for the most part, most of my life. I do have hemorrhoids as well. I have spent last seven years working on my weight, diet and nutrition. Over the last year, I have been really trying to understand the triggers and prevent C or D. I have gout and kidney issues as well. Developing neuropathy in my feet. Anyway, all that to say, I am learning that my diet needs to be top priority for my gut health. Also fine tuning my vitamins/supplements. I have learned a few combinations, particularly in the last month that have shown me the benefits of tracking my food and paying attention to what my body (guts) are trying to tell me.

• CMorning99
    Good morning and TGIF!

@shanaber So frustrating when things aren't right but there are 1,000 reasons why.

@alphahowls Sometimes don't you wish they made food like they do animals LOL. Just got to the doc...I got XYZ issue...let me prescribe you this tailored kibble to you...just eat that and be fine LOL

The week went well. I got a lot of work done at work. I am getting really sick of all the half-thought out changes the AF is pushing. Change is hard enough but when they are rolling out 50% solutions to just "get it out there" and they will refine later is really getting old! They have had to roll back our HR (evaluations) program AND our training program back. Then they bring it back 20 days later and claim it is a "fully redesigned" system...bruh, it takes longer than a month to do that. I heard the Army is having similar issues...must be a DoD thing then. It is gonna come down to "if in doubt, waiver out".

I asked my PA for a neck MRI. All my blood work from Rheum came back clear - she even tested for just general markers for any autoimmune. She didn't do the full panel like she said, which I was really interested in (Iron, B, D, etc). My PA thinks it is general arthritis in my hands...maybe I should have asked for a hand MRI instead? But my neck is also always stiff and grindy so it won't hurt. At least there is a trend in my records and maybe the VA will do an MRI. Got my final hearing test done, they have lost my records from 1999-2012...lame. But they say my hearing is fine even with my tinnitus. I also realized that my med records are due to the VA in March...I had written down May (which is actually the last month to submit them). Doh! After my Podiatry appt next week, I am going to request them, it is 30 day wait to get them so hopefully my MRI results will trickle in by then.

No update on the Ranch or house. DH and I have been looking at houses to rent. We found a couple but we are going to have to pay. A 3 bed townhouse in a nice gated area is about $3,700 a month. A house is about $3,200 a month.

I have been doing my intuitive eating journal and workbook. I am meh so far...I definitely have some weird food things from years of diets but IDK if I am as bad as these books. The first few journal entries were about diets I had been on, how they made me feel, my relationship with food while on them, why they failed etc. I already know all that...maybe writing it down helps? The work book had quizzes on what type of eater you are. There was one area that talked about how you feel/talk to yourself when you fail a diet. I am not a nice person LOL. Then it asked "what would you say to a friend who was struggling on a diet?"...Well do they want an honest answer or a nice answer LOL. Then it asked "what if you said those nice things to yourself?"...huh? Does not compute. I am pretty hard on myself and generally just avoid talking to myself when I can. Next week's chapters are about things I am going to change to get away from a "diet mentality"...IDK, I have been on a "see food" diet for 2 years now. We will see how it goes.

Have a great weekend.