Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    These sound delicious! Do you plan for one "big" meal per day and have standard go to items for the other meals or ?

Breakfast will be my normal cereal with milk and fruit. May not be the healthiest but it is simple, quick, and I enjoy it.

This week for lunches I have some salad mixes, some soup, and some frozen meals I can pick from. Just depends on what I feel like and what I have time for.

Snacks will be pita chips and hummus, fruit, applesauce cups, and cheese.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    I love how you have it so well planned! I am way too random! At least I plan enough to have "stuff" around to be random with! :lol:

BUT, I am AHEAD OF THE GAME today! I have 1118g of rutabaga (swede) already cooked and ready to mash (plus 500g green beans and 150g carrots and peas). I'm thinking that the last 300g of Costco ready to eat roast beef pouch is joining all this.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    The pouch is 350g. The rutabagas are AWESOME! I've actually split the rutabaga's and beef almost 50-50 leaving the small half for later just because I was already full! During cooking I had added salt and sucralose to the water. For mashing I just added a tiny bit of 2% milk (72ml) and sriracha! :wink:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    Most impressive, PAV. My bunnies were not up to snuff today....some green soup, grape tomatoes and and apple...but alas they were all out delivering chocolate or some such thing :)
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Leftovers from Easter dinner today. ‘‘Twas good but plenty of salty goodies so expect a scale uptick.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    This has been one of my easiest Easter weekends. NO chocolate :)! Lots of guests coming and going but menu was soup, grape tomatoes, pineapple, watermelon :), pan-fried tofu (yesterday only), lots and lots of tea and that was it! If all holidays could be so easy.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    How did you pull THAT out! Well done Laurie!
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2023
    Options
    My day has taken a bit of a turn as this was consumed in early afternoon. Now how the kittens am I going to log this is what *I* want to know!!!!

iyzjztellcca.png

pork, shrimp, the egg was sunny side (I flipped it before remembering to take a picture), rice noodles and token vegetables (broccoli, sprouts, peas, red peppers, onion)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Restaurant? I don’t know - call it 500-700 calories? Can’t really judge the size of the plate or portion. But by now PAV, I’m sure you can do a pretty good guesstimate.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Oh way way higher. Large portion.
    And quite full (very temporarily).
    Genuinely perplexed for now.
    But i will figure it out when my brain starts working again!
    There was a LOT of rice noodle in that bowl!
    Very tasty too... unfortunately.
    I was more going along with quiz for Laurie :wink:
    I might have to go there with a jug of water and try to figure out 20? 21? 24+oz bowl?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm guessing 750 - but depends on how much oil???? Like Yooly - having a hard time judging depth of bowl
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Laurie is off to Newfoundland so I’ll give it a guess. About 1800 calories considering lots of noodles, fried egg, pork and oil. Some sort of Thai/Vietnamese bowl? Could even top 2000?

I’m trying to cut back after Easter feasting because we’re off to visit family next week. So not much control over meals for a week. It will pretty much be holding back on portions.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    That looks to be around 1500kcal or thereabouts.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Interesting. We have no real way of knowing because neither weight nor size is truly known. It was a full size / platter sized deep bowl. For size indications the only referents would be the one fried egg (unfortunately upside down already in the picture) and the piece of broccoli.

For whatever it's worth, and again no way of knowing if Yooly's second guess or Dante's are more correct, this is what I logged. Based on "fullness factor", the sub 1000 Cal options are definitely out. The real question is whether I should have gone higher too!

afk3y2keew8n.png
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    You would think that after a long while it would now be physically impossible to eat that much at one time.
    But nooooo.... unlike the people who can push the plate away and not eat another bite, I am still able to eat it all. And possibly more!
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    One of the main downsides the volume eating method has - which I'm kinda following together with the Med diet - is that it is extremely easy to eat vast amounts of any food without physical limitations.

I put this to the test a week ago, strictly for science purposes. :D

It didn't go well. After 3 Xlarge pizzas and ~8000kcal I had to stop, not for feeling sick or guilty but simply because there was no point. About three hours later I was hungry again, and the next day I woke up 11 pounds heavier (but only 13€ poorer, since the pizzas were bought in a 3for1 discount). :p

A couple of Frumil and light eating the following two days brought my weight back down, and served as a reminder that if your strategy is pairing large food consumption with low caloric density, you gotta be extra careful because your satiety cues are non existent and your stomach is trained for thermo-nuclear war! ;)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Unfortunately, you're right!

I will offer some hope, maybe, with time. Over time I *have* found some reduction to volume (or to my willingness to eat to discomfort)

I used to actually have trouble walking away from all you can eat places. Not like trouble stopping. But trouble physically navigating the table to car section once done. I do stop sooner than that now.

And for better or worse Dante I do register the higher caloric density stuff differently than the lower density. Doesn't stop me from over eating either or both!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Salmon patty, cauliflower rice and salad for lunch. A couple of homemade cheese crackers too.
    I’m not sure about dinner. Maybe some yogurt and cereal- because it’s easy and filling. Lately I’m just uninspired by meals. I’d just walk around snacking all day if I could. But that’s dangerous and usually adds up to more than taking the time to sit down and eat properly.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Snacking adds up to more. Unfortunately I do tend to snack. One of my big break throughs was not "deserving the unquestionable dinner" too on top of the snacks. I.e. yes, the two scoop gelato replaced dinner as opposed to having dinner on top
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    So I was going to do a stir fry last night, but was craving fried rice so did that instead.

Chicken, oyster mushrooms, zucchini, green onion, and cashews with a sauce of garlic, coconut aminos, honey, and sesame oil. SO GOOD! And I have enough for lunch and dinner today. Which is good because I have a ton of cleaning to do before my friend comes to visit tomorrow.