Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Here we are again. Tired today, as per the usual. I have my Dr. appt tomorrow...we will see if he recommends any tests.

Weekend was busy up at the ranch. The boys (DH and his coworker bromance LOL) got to be all manly and try to get the barn down...it was a solid fight and they only got 1 wall done in 6 hours. I had the harder job of babysitting the coworkers 2 girls 7 and 9. I am not cut out for parenting. They never stopped talking ... but they were very well behaved. I got the travel trailer out and started to do an inspection. Seems things are working. I haven't tried the appliances yet.

The weather has finally turned spring here. The property surveyors said they will be out this week. Finally. Hopefully we can get that done here soon. We have not heard from the city on the $25K TDC and if we have to buy one. In 3 months it will have been 2 years since we started this process.

No movement on getting myself healthier. I bought some Ashwaganda...there seems to be some scientific backing to it. But it also says it takes 4-8 weeks to work. DH signed me up for a 10K beach run on 22 Jul - he and some coworkers are doing it...I don't think there will be much running though as kids are involved. Poor guy is trying to get me back up and running LOL.

Have a great week!

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @CMorning99 Some of those barns are put together so well. We had a shed that was built in the early 1900s. It looked like if you blew on it hard, it would fall down, but it took a lot of work and tractor pulling to actually get it to fall. Glad the weather is better for you and hope the doctor's appointment goes well. What is a TDC? I hope you don't have to buy one, whatever it is. LOL I'm glad DH is pushing you to get healthy and run. Too many people have the opposite, where their spouses are "jealous" of the time spent exercising and getting in shape.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Hi all - sorry I have been so silent. Haven't been feeling myself lately and not sure exactly what is going on. First it was the vaccine and Saturday I finally felt pretty good and went out for a good longish run. Forgot Hobbes had an appointment to have his teeth cleaned that I forgot. I couldn't get my husband to respond too a text or call on any number so I ran as fast as I could to get home, all the time worried about the appointment, angry at my husband and worried something had happened to him that he wasn't answering. Oof course he was fine just not paying attention. We had an argument but he took Hobbes to the appointment and while late made it ok. I was wiped out. Sunday I was a mess. Had really bad what I think was heartburn maybe? I have never had it before. I had no energy, was achy all over and just felt awful. Fortunately that was gone on Monday but I didn't want to overdo so no running just walking because we had agility class. After class I felt I felt like I had been hit by a truck. But I still thought I could get out for a run today. Again it didn't go as planned. The entire time I felt sick so Hobbes and I just walked the neighborhood. Not sure what is going on but I really wanted to get in some good running before I have to be out for my foot surgery.

@CMorning99 - the time is really going by fast for you! You will be moved into the new house soon and not too long retired! How do you think the kitties will do with the move? Do they adjust to changes like that pretty easily?
    I have heard some good things about ashwaganda especially for peri and menopause symptoms. I have never tried it but I hope it helps. Also hope the doctor has some answers for you. Have you tried taking some regular magnesium before bed (not the citrate)? It has worked wonders for my sleep.
    A 10k at the beach sounds fun - hope it is running on a path though and not on the actual beach. I think running on the sand for 6miles would be tough!

@quilteryoyo - how are you feeling? I know you have been really tired too lately but you have also been so busy taking care of everyone.

@swenson19d - how is that adorable pup? Does she have a name yet?
    How is Mochi doing?
    I hope things have settled down at home too!
    Have you decided on one of the programs to accept?
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you aren't feeling well @shanaber. It's so frustrating when you don't know what is going on. Do you think it is still the after affects of the vaccine? I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for asking about me. I am feeling pretty good, just can't seem to get enough sleep. Garmin is forever giving me a poor score. LOL But, my breathing seems to be a lot better than it was at the end of last year. I did have more palpitations while playing tennis last night, but they didn't last too long. I have a follow up cardiology appointment tomorrow morning. I'm sure it will be a quick, "you are doing good" appointment since things are better.

I got so mad at Medicaid yesterday I could have spit nails. I called to let them know that my cousin wouldn't need it any longer, but wanted him to keep it through this month. The lady assured me that it would take a couple of weeks to process the request and that I would get a letter telling me the termination date. Later, I got a call that I missed from them. When I called back, the automated system said he had been terminated. What?! I spoke with someone and they said as soon as they hit the terminate button the coverage is gone in an instant. I explained what had happened and she checked to see if we could re-instate it since it was the same day and there was a misunderstanding. No! Only way to get it back is to re-apply, which can take up to 45 days. I thought I was doing great by getting things taken care of in a timely fashion. Maybe this is why I procrastinate so much....when I do things early, they don't ever seem to work out. LOL Anyway, that mistake is likely to cost my cousin around $3,000! At least he has it, but it is so frustrating.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Oh no @quilteryoyo!! That is awful! Is there any way to appeal it and have him reimbursed?
    I am sure all the stress is taking a toll on you and maybe is affecting your sleep?
    I hope all is well when you see the cardiologist!
    Also congratulations on your tennis win! Seems like you are fitting into the team just fine!

I got out for a little run today and it was better but I am still sore and achy. I am tolerating the IBS medication better but getting out late 'just in case' on the days I take it, so I didn't head out until lunch time. I can do that now while it is cooler but once the heat sets it in won't be an option.
    It could still be side affects from the vaccine I guess, I still have a large discolored area on my arm from it so who knows.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I realise this response is several days late, but how are you doing now? When is the foot sx? Did you talk to dd about your symptoms? Sure you know heart burn/nausea particularly in women can signal cardiac concerns. if you use an apple phone, you could ping the "find my" to rouse your DH, if you have another device to ping; maybe even an AirTag. How does Hobbes do with the teeth cleaning?

@quilteryoyo sheesh. our government at work. what a pain.

Mochi
    So far she is good. Eats so much and isn't gaining. I think her worms have worms, LOL! nah, I worm her. She's just a busy busy girl. She has brought dd 2 earth snakes and one tiny leopard frog. I think she is also disturbing the small birds now and then.

New pup
    This girl is so well behaved. 9 weeks and 3 days, she can sit on command (without a food prompt). Kev cant or wont. comes when called. Kev may or may not... it depends how interested he is or if you mention cheese. She's doing good on the housebreaking. A little here and there accidents, but overall i'd guess she is about 90+% success. I named her Rowena. I asked a cousin for input and she mentioned Ronah. Which reminded me of a name in the family tree, Nellie Rowena Martin that I liked and felt a kinship to. Last night i was snuggling her and wanted to call her Georgina... so today she is Georgie-wena. I think I want to call her Georgina. That lil fart was 12.5 pounds when I got her. She is everybit of 20 now. She is in that bity-baby stage but learning fast that I am not for nom-noms.

School
    Yes, Hopkins sent me the kindest letter of rejection last week. I am kinda butt-hurt over it, as anyone would be. But, I had accepted OU and it is close and won't be a financial stretch or impossibility.
    I am ready to wrap up this semester. There are still so many assignments to get done.

self-care
    I had my second facial ever last week. It was a hydra-facial. It sucks the slough, oils, and evacuates your pores (mostly). I ran out of an antibiotic for my face (rosacea) then HRT pellets caused a terrible breakout. Which I seem to be past. I am up to 142 lbs. 124 was do something.
    -_- I have presentations to do and they require business casual. Nothing fits.
    So.. I found out that there is a fat shot. I scheduled an appointment for next week. Of course, with busy course work and exam after exam; I havent taken the lyrica (which causes brain vacation) and increased appetite. I feel like the appetite is better and moving in the right direction.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d I'm glad the animals are getting along so well. I am always amazed at how quickly dogs grow! Sorry about John Hopkins, but glad you got into OU. Sorry about your weight. Personally, I'd love to get back to 142 lbs, but I think I am taller than you. Good luck with all the exams and all that you have going on.

I don't think there is anything that I can do about Medicaid. I'll just go with it and know better the next time. I try to not think about it too much, or I get upset again. LOL

My partner and I won another tennis match last night. We won 6-4, 7-6. The tie break for the second set was 7-0. How we let them come back and tie us after we had them down 5-1 is a mystery, but that sort of thing happens in tennis all the time. We persevered and I'm happy with that.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @swenson19d - Thanks for asking. Symptoms are still the same but come and go, some days ok others not so much. I had a thought the other night that maybe it was a cardiac issue but then I decided it was just IBS acting up again. It seems I can't eat much or it gets bad. Yesterday I had my usually Greek yogurt and it was terrible, so who knows. I have cut out wine, anything spicy, cut way back on coffee in the morning even though it is usually later in the day that is an issue. Surgery isn't until May 23rd. I see my PCP May 2nd for the pre-op tests and I will talk to her about it. Of course Dr. Google has lots of ideas; appendicitis (nope, don't have one), constipation (yea, maybe), a bile duct blockage, an inflamed spleen, etc., etc. Honestly I wonder if it is from the IBS medication and am tempted to just stop taking it but then worry it might make it worse. I haven't talked to DD about it - she always reminds me she is a peds doctor and doesn't do adults.🤷🏻‍♀️
    My DH doesn't have an iPhone or Apple anything so nothing for me to ping with "find my'. I did tell hm from now on when I am out for a run or walk he needs to keep his phone nearby where he will hear it. He has a Fitbit and did have notifications going to it but I guess it was bugging him.
    I am sorry about Johns Hopkins too but seems like OU makes the most sense anyway. Will you start there in the Fall? Hope you can find some clothes that fit for your presentations.
    Kev sounds like Hobbes. I seriously feel like I trained him wrong because it's all about the treat now.😂 He is just so food driven. Some people use toys as the reward in agility - Hobbes couldn't care less, just give him some string cheese!
    Your Dobie girl sounds lovely and so smart! I had a very good friend (godmother to my DD) from college named Rowena. She (and her family) ghosted us during the Trump years. I still can't figure out what happened or why - we aren't particularly political so who knows. Anyway not a name I would choose but you have a good connection so it works! I do like Ronah too, for me it would be easier to say.
    Did you like the facial? I haven't had one in a very long while. DH got me a gift certificate to a local spa though for a few different treatments so I was thinking I might go in May before the surgery.

@quilteryoyo - you and your tennis partners are really doing great!

One plus side of not being able to eat much and being very careful about what I am eating is I am back down to 150. Hoping I can get to 145 before the surgery as I know my weight is going to go up when I can't actually do much for a month. Oh I did buy a knee scooter. My insurance won't cover it so I ordered one on Amazon. They are actually pretty inexpensive as things go. It was less than it would cost per month to rent one. I have been practicing with it in hopes I can maneuver with it ok and not tip over😁
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber . Good idea to get the knee scooter ahead of time and practice before the surgery. Any mishaps will be a lot less painful now, I hope. I hope you get to feeling better and get the IBS under control before the surgery.

I've had a very frustrating week. After making all the plans to move my cousin, the new assisted living facility informed me yesterday that they will NOT take him because it was documented that he had had some issues with a former roommate....yeah, when he was having a mental episode that he was hospitalized for and got his meds straightened out and hasn't had any issues for over a year now. It just makes me so irritated. Especially since I accidently stopped his TNCare early. I'm trying to just breathe and know that everything will work out okay....not as planned, but okay. I'll just have another busy week next week trying to decide what to do and look for other places for him to go.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - any updates on getting your cousin moved or having him stay where he's at now? I hope it is all getting worked out.

@CMorning99 - are you doing ok? You have been so quiet, I hope you are just busy getting ready to move and nothing has gone wrong.

@swenson19d - been thinking about you lately and hope all is going well!

I finally see my PCP tomorrow. It is for all my pre-op tests but I am planning to talk to her about how crappy I have been feeling. We are also heading up north on Sunday. Frank has been wanting to go somewhere but didn't want to return to anywhere we have already been. We've been talking about Yellowstone but hit would require too much time so that will be a fall trip. Instead we are going to go way north to a small coastal town of Trinidad, CA - apparently it is where the redwoods meet the ocean. Lots of trails and coastline to explore and I am hoping he will get out and check it out with me. The weather is also supposed to be fantastic.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Not yet @shanaber . We have found one place that is just a little over his budget, but something I can manage to cover if I have to. They are going to go do their evaluation tomorrow, so hopefully that will work. I have calls in to another place that is a bit cheaper, but they haven't called back. I hope your doctor's appointment goes well today and that trip sounds amazing!
  • shanaber
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - I hope it all works out for your cousin, Those situations can be so frustrating and stressful for the person dealing with all the arrangements. Your cousin is very lucky to have you there to advocate for him!

My doctor appointment went pretty well. She is very concerned and ordered a bunch of tests. She said she won't sign off on the surgery until she knows what is going on though so that was a bit concerning. I got some of the test results this morning and while I will wait for her analysis, it looks like I may be anemic which would explain my lack of energy. She requested an abdominal ultrasound too, but it couldn't be scheduled until the 16th, just a week out from my surgery date. Finally she told me to quit taking the IBS medication since all of this seemed to start when I started it - may be related or maybe not but it won't hurt me to not take it.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber . I'm glad your doctor is trying to find out the issues and not just brushing you off, which I have heard happens often. I'm lucky to have a doctor that listens to me. Anemia will definitely cause you to have a lack of energy. I hope you can get that taken care of and feel better. I also hope you are able to get your surgery done as scheduled.

The assisted living facility said he can move there, but there may be an issue with the cost. He currently gets his meds for free from the VA. If he goes there, we have to switch and have him get them from a pharmacy they use that will package them up for daily dosage. I'm currently looking into the price for that. It may make the move prohibitive. :disappointed:
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @shanaber yes all is relatively well (Alex’s birthday the 5th and his death date coming up is difficult).

Animals
    Nina Georgina Rowena is a bit wiggly to weigh but seems to be about 31-32 pounds. She is still a sweet lil turd. Mochi (the cardiac cat) seems to be slowing down. It’s getting warmer out and seems to get to her. She did get a bird the other day. And a snake today. You can really hear the murmur; her heart beat is 3 beats instead of the two, lub dub dub. She’s gotten cuddly and is half playing with Nina now and then.

OU
    Been working on getting the requirements done, vaccinations, cpr, this and that, parking, financial aid, new student waivers, etc. I am waiting to sit for the nclex-RN. Still half studying. Enjoying catching up on sleep and Netflix. I should make time to get the viola out.

Kevin
    Has been limping so he had a vet visit last week. He has subluxation in his kneecaps. The ligament that normally runs from the top of the quads over the knee and secures to the protuberance just below is the culprit. His protuberance attachment is positioned medial. He goes for X-rays in the AM with a mild sedative. Likely surgical treatment. He’s been on an anti inflammatory the last 4-5 days and a joint supplement. He also gets to lose 10 pounds. Dh doesn’t feed him pizza, tacos, or ice cream anymore… finally.

Weight
    I’m still fat. Three weeks on the ozempic shot at half the normal dose and I’ve lost 2-5 pounds… 90 percent of that was the first week. I had an appt with the rheumatologist and discussed the weight. I went from 126 to 142 in 4 months. She felt the culprit was the hormone pellets and thinks it’ll come off if I watch what I eat. I didn’t tell her about the ozempic, kinda hoped she’d give me a new script for some, lol! I did find a cute outfit to wear for those presentations. Well, I had help from the hs aged sales clerk at Maurice’s.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Good to hear from you @swenson19d . Hugs regarding Alex's death day and birthday. I know those are both really hard days for you, and the family. Sounds like everything else is working out. I hope Mochi continues to do her best and has lots of cuddles left. I hope Kevin's surgery isn't too hard on him, and you, and I hope you can get your weight back to what you want it to be. Good luck with your presentations. Those high schoolers at Maurice's can be very helpful.

I have lost a few pounds. I'm back to being between 149 and 151 for about a month. I'm hoping to get back to 140, so still have a ways to go, but at least I'm heading in the right direction. I had to change the batteries in my scale yesterday. For the last two days it was randomly turning itself on and then showing an error. That seems like an odd way to let me know the battery is low, but it worked. LOL

Still trying to figure out what to do about my cousin, Gary. I am having a really hard time finding somewhere that he can afford to private pay. I may have to leave him where he is and get him back on Medicaid. I spoke with an elder lawyer last week who agrees that Medicaid is all messed up. I will have to get the Qualified Income Trust and put money in it the first month, in order to get him on Medicaid, but once he is on, I can take the money out of the trust to help pay for his room and never have to put anymore in it, as aid and attendance only counts for enrollment and not once he gets enrolled. That leaves the issue of spending his extra money. She says that I can get a caregiver agreement and get paid for what I do for him, including $25 and hour and mileage for driving to see him and shopping, etc. And, $100 an hour for talking to the nurses and "managing" his care. The only issue with that is having to keep a detailed account of what I do and the cost, in case they decide to audit me. I'd really rather not have to deal with that, but it is looking more and more like I am going to have to.

I hope everyone else is doing well. Wondering how @CMorning99 and @Avidkeo are doing. I see @shanaber on the other feed. Am I missing someone? I feel like I am.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @swenson19d - sending you {{HUGS}} for Alex's birthday and death day. It has to be so difficult! I can't even imagine. But you will get through it! How is Alexa doing? I hope she is doing well!
    I bet Nina is just a lover! Does Sandy have the same issue as Kevin? I have heard of other pups having that surgery and surgery itself isn't as much an issue as keeping them quiet afterwards. Especially as they feel better and want to play.
    Mochi - you know you are giving her the best chance to live her best life no matter how long that is. She is very lucky to have you all to love on her and snuggle with her.
    I am so excited about your starting the program at OU! It will likely be tough but I hope you love it!
    I don't know what Maurice's is (like Mervyns or Kohls?) but I am glad they were able to help you put together a cute outfit. It always helps to feel cute and confident when you have to give a presentation.

@quilteryoyo - I was wondering about your cousin and if you had found a place that would work. I hope the struggle to get him back on Medicaid won't be too terrible but I know it is like a maze to work through. My scale does the same as yours. It will turn on and off and then give me an error. I never know if the battery really needs replacing for if the reset that occurs when you take it out is really what fixes the issue.

Me - TLDR... I am really sick. I have lost 15lbs and am down to 141 but this has not been the way I wanted to do it and definitely not the best for my body.
    Dets under the spoiler.
    I hate to come here and post bad news but I may not be posting much the next few weeks but I will check in.
    The trip to Trinidad in northern CA had to be postponed and the foot surgery is off. The last couple of weeks has been a flurry of tests and doctor appointments. I missed the most important numbers on my blood tests that showed that my liver enzymes and other things were off the charts. My PCP immediately called my gastroenterologist who had me come in right away and sent me for an abdominal ultra sound and more blood work. They were thinking I had a gall stone blocking the bile duct, the cause 90% of the time. Since then I have had additional tests and a biopsy. Fortunately no stones were found but unfortunately I have a malignant growth in my pancreas that (fortunately) blocked the bile duct. If the bile duct hadn't been blocked setting off all the crazy test results I would never had known it was there. I have appointments with a pancreatic surgeon (DD looked her up and told me she is a 'badass woman surgeon' high praise!) next Monday and an oncologist later in the month. We are hoping they will schedule the surgery in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime I am trying to keep busy, stay positive and not focus on it too much. I am hoping we can still go on our No CA trip late June, even if I am recovering from surgery.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Oh wow. Great big hugs to you @shanaber ! I'm so glad you got all the tests done and they found the problem. Please keep us informed if you feel like it. I know this is a scary time for you. Finding it like you did, as early as you did, should be a helpful for a positive outcome. I'll be praying for you.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @shanaber “oh f…”. (In Ted Lasso’s Roy Kent’s most frustrated response). I am sorry to hear that. I worked with a cna this semester, probably in her late 60’s who was in treatment for pancreatic cysts of some sort. She’d had them for decades and it was ongoing. So, I hope it is something that can be resolved with the badass female surgeon. Always feel free to unload here. Never apologize. We need that outlet and so often cannot be as transparent or vulnerable irl. This tread is similar to journaling where the journal is shared among friends.

Thank you for the support and kindness. We are here for you in anyway possible.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - it is scary and I am terrified. I have learned to stay off google, especially at night. If I go there I don't sleep. I did find a great site with lots of good info (pancan.org) and patient and family support.
    @swenson19d - I love Ted Lasso! Last week I binge watched all the episodes from the latest season so I can just imagine that frustrated response 😁

We are looking forward to seeing the surgeon on Tuesday and get some questions answered. I got the cytology report and of course started researching what it all meant. Bad bad thing to do. DD's only comment was that I wait for the doctor to explain. She didn't want to discuss at all. DD has also taken on the task of letting the rest of the family know. No easy task for sure. My crazy brother and cousin I am sure will be sending me all kinds of 'alternative' medicine solutions like crystals and supplements. She didn't want me to have to deal them.
    DH has been wonderful but I know he is terrified too and he doesn't talk much other than to say that no matter what, we will get through it together.
    I have to say Hobbes definitely knows something is wrong and has for a while. He rarely leaves my side and follows me all over the house. I did some vacuuming the other day and everywhere I went he was right there even though he is not a big fan of the vacuum. If I sit on the couch or lay down he immediately wants to be on top ar right next to me.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Shanaber, I was so sorry to read this. I pray that the "kick *kitten*" female surgeon can debulk and then let the oncologists do wonders with some of the new therapies (which weren't available even for my son 6 years ago...). My thoughts are with you and your family....love HonuNui