Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Dante!!! We missed you and the awesome food photos. I can only imagine the wonders of Greek Easter considering the food for Lent wasn’t too shabby.

It was glorious really, too much food though..

rKxFz1w.jpg

euYCPRZ.jpg

hYeqFgh.jpg

dF0A1LW.jpg

SyQrAdo.jpg

wMwteR1.jpg

qMHmi0p.jpg
    ...way too much :D
    what else is in there and how do you make it? We don’t get a great variety of fresh mushrooms here in Texas but I’d be willing to give this a try.

Well, it's a pretty standard fricassee/stew recipe, only with mushrooms instead of meat. From a previous post here about what to put in, :
    Dante_80 wrote: »
    Would the Fricassee work with kale, collard greens, or chard? Spinach?

Of course, you can put pretty much everything you like! For example, a well known combo is lettuce with spring onions and a little dill. Sorrel, spinach, leeks, chard, hartwort, collard, purple amaranth etc etc can also be used, we tend to go with what is in season (or simply what we forage when going out for a walk).

I went with Endive/Escarole (different from chicory), lettuce, sorrel and dill on this one. No egg either, just the lemon stew was enough.

As always, saute and then simmer.

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I also made a wonderful dish using mushrooms!

Last night I made a fried rice with Enoki mushrooms, Beech mushrooms, steak, green onion, garlic, and kimchi. Sauce was coconut aminos, honey, oyster sauce, and sesame oil. It was an amazing balance of flavors. Savory, sweet, vinegary, spicy... it was all there.
  • Dante_80
    Options
    Oh man, that sounds delicious Athjade!!

Question, this is the first time I hear about coconut aminos. Is that close.similar to soy sauce in taste?

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

That is one amazing Easter feast there Dante! We city-folks couldn’t even come close to recreating that food. We’re stuck with grocery stores and restaurants. Actual local fresh food doesn’t exist unless it’s in a backyard garden plot. So envious of your bounty.

Oxford Dictionary definition-
    fric·as·see
    /ˈfrikəˌsē,ˌfrikəˈsē/
    noun
    a dish of stewed or fried pieces of meat served in a thick white sauce.

I guess fricassee in Greece is a whole different thing than I’m used to. More a veggie meat/mushroom stew with light agvolemono? Anyway it looks good!
  • Dante_80
    Options
    Oxford Dictionary definition-
    fric·as·see
    /ˈfrikəˌsē,ˌfrikəˈsē/
    noun
    a dish of stewed or fried pieces of meat served in a thick white sauce.

I guess fricassee in Greece is a whole different thing than I’m used to. More a veggie meat/mushroom stew with light agvolemono? Anyway it looks good!

Yes, because we don't tend to use flour, cream or butter to thicken our sauces. Our definition here is that of a stew made with sauteed components (at most times, meat), with a lemony or avgolemono sauce. :)
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options

Such variety!

Green soup for supper for me🙂
  • Athijade
    Options
    Oh man, that sounds delicious Athjade!!

Question, this is the first time I hear about coconut aminos. Is that close.similar to soy sauce in taste?

It is very similar to soy sauce in taste. Slightly less salty and maybe a touch sweeter, but I can barely tell the difference when used in sauces.

When I was diagnosed with IC I had to cut put all soy products. While I have been able to add some back, I still limit it.
  • Athijade
    Options
    Tonight is Cincinnati chili. Woke up with dizzy spells because my allergies are so bad today. So much sinus pressure including my ears which is causing the dizziness. That means the idea of standing and cooking is not on the top of my list.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Love me some Cincinnati chili! I make mine with ground turkey rather than beef to save a few calories. I’ve also learned not to serve it to Texans who don’t “get” the middle eastern spices in the chili. 😛So good
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    You mean there's RECIPES for chili? <ducks and hides>
  • Yoolypr
    edited May 2023
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You mean there's RECIPES for chili? <ducks and hides>

Well, Cincinnati (or Skyline) chili is kind of different. It has cinnamon and bakers chocolate for example. And it’s served over spaghetti. So yeah- it needs a recipe to get it right....
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That sounds very interesting!

I’m going to try and find a vegetarian recipe when I’m up and about again
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    This is the recipe I use. I think for a vegetarian version you could substitute chick peas or navy beans? It’s really mostly about the sauce anyway.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/cincinnati-style-chili-11659386
  • Athijade
    Options
    Love me some Cincinnati chili! I make mine with ground turkey rather than beef to save a few calories. I’ve also learned not to serve it to Texans who don’t “get” the middle eastern spices in the chili. 😛So good

Mine came out of a can. Skyline of course. No way did I have the energy to make it myself with how I felt yesterday. It's a bit higher in calories, but I have always been able to make it fit so it's a good option to just keep in the pantry. I always have spaghetti, onion, and cheese on hand for toppings.
    Yesterday we ate at my mothers. She made a bolognese with whole wheat pasta (was great),

The food was great, but for some weird reason I see salads in my future for the rest of the week.. :D

I really want to try my hand at making a bolognese or other pasta sauce from scratch. I usually just buy the jars which is great from a "I need something and I need it now" stand point, but I realized a couple weeks ago I have never tried to make the sauce on my own. So that will be an experiment once I am feeling up to standing in the kitchen. Between my foot and now my allergies, it's just not possible many days at the moment.

And yes, it is amazing how after a day or 2 of heavier meals my body actually craves a salad or veggies of some sort.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Dante - another meal fit for the gods. Lovely! And yes it’s definitely salad time for a while.

Athijade, making Cincinnati chili or other sauces is not that difficult if you have all the ingredients ready. And most freeze well so it’s worth the effort. But convenience sometimes wins. 😋
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    Marking the mental note to hit Yooly for chocolate covered chili in the future :smiley:
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Marking the mental note to hit Yooly for chocolate covered chili in the future :smiley:

You’d be sorely disappointed by the unsweetened cocoa in the chili. It’s bitter! No Toblerone for you!
  • lauriekallis
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I can’t wait to try this… this variation makes sense when you think about Molé sauce, and I also have some hot chocolate squares that include the cinnamon and cloves….
  • Yoolypr
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I can’t wait to try this… this variation makes sense when you think about Molé sauce, and I also have some hot chocolate squares that include the cinnamon and cloves….

I don’t think you’d like the sweetened hot chocolate in this chili. Unsweetened cocoa is a whole different thing. It’s a more bitter taste like black coffee. In fact, if I HAD to substitute for unsweetened cocoa, I’d consider strong espresso powder.

Seriously - stick with the spices as listed the first time, taste and then see what you think. You can always adjust next time. But you do need to get a taste of Cincinnati chili as it’s meant to be (albeit vegetarian) once.