Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
    Bring me my arrows of desire:
    Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
    Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
    Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand:
    Till we have built Jerusalem,
    In Englands green & pleasant Land.

And I just thought it an interesting teapot!

Lin
  • Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    We used to sing, I will not cease from men to fight. Never knew it was mental fight, lol. We live and learn.
    Thanks LIN.
    Anne.
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    😁😂🤣 It’s never too late to learn Anne! It was definitely the most rousing hymn in assembly, even if we didn’t know what it meant. Thanks Lin, I was singing it in my head as I read the words in your posts! 🎶 🎼 🎵
    Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) The snow has begun and it is nasty out there. Staying in of course and doing laundry.
    Had fun at dinner last night and then we went in bar to hear the band and believe it or not ladies this old lady was asked to dance. I could hardly breathe when I was done but it was fun. lol

I postponed my cleaning lady until Monday and she was grateful, no one should be out today.

I have never heard of the song you sang but it must be bringing back fond memories for Jackie and Anne.

I didn't sleep well again so I think a nap is in my future. Have a safe and warm day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• Loveburg87
    edited January 12
    Options
    Good morning. Well I’m feeling a lot more cheerful after being tested last evening in my pyjamas by a very nice nurse. I’m still upright, just got a very sore throat and cold, which I probably got from Gerty. She’s still in isolation because she’s testing positive but the meds suspect it’s just a very sore throat and a cold like me.

Actually I can’t complain. This home is really very nice, oh Lord, just have to stop while Fatima comes in to change the towels. Later, Jilly Bean loves Fatima who’s from Albania. The only way we can stop Jilly excitedly barking and leaping around Fatima is to shove a milky bone in Jilly Beans mouth. Anyway, if anyone is contemplating giving up cooking, putting trash out, washing up, snow shovelling etc, my advice is give it 3 - 6 months to adjust. Now if I could just get the kids to bring over my favourite armchair and desk life would be perfect. You can join everyone else in the big lounge for exercise, concerts, etc or, if you feel anti social stay at home with a book and a glass of sherry etc. The only blight is Corvid. Roll on spring when I can open the patio doors and do a bit of planter gardening and grow a few veggies. The only thing lacking here. I YEARN for green veggies as does our new table mate as she contemplates a dish of prunes at breakfast time. Enough on that score! She’s Danish and was born in the same year as me.

Anne.
    PS. It’s forecast to be 18 degrees next week! What! That’s “shiver me timbers” weather.!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    edited January 12
    Options
    Hello, the weather forecasts are proving to be accurate. Snow, snow and more snow, add in the wind and we are experiencing a blizzard. Apparently there are criteria to meet to call something a blizzard and by gosh, we have. The temperatures will plunge as a cold front is working its way across the state. Extreme cold and wind chills aren’t forecast to abate until Wednesday afternoon. I feel the cold air sneaking into my house now. I put on a long sleeved t-shirt topped by a flannel shirt and a light weight hoodie. Feels good!

Anne, sorry you have contracted a cold and sore throat. More hot tea for the sore throat. Do take care of yourself. For goodness sakes, still waiting for the extra furniture pieces? Good grief! Those boys need a bit of a shake-up. You sound quite content with your living accommodations. I am pleased to hear that.

Sandy, what fun you had last evening. So your cold must be getting better. Sorry for the insomnia my friend. I hope you get some rest. Naps are good.

Jackie, how has today been going? No additional upsetting incidents I trust. How are Betty and George?

Time to finish my lunch and get back to that little boy’s birthday card.

Best wishes.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Alice in Wonderland teapot

qvcvv4rc20kh.jpeg

• jacAth3
    edited January 13
    Options
    Hello ladies. Oops, midnight but my day is finishing as it began. I was about to grab car keys first thing and go grocery shopping when my iPhone pinged so I read the message from Linda about Rachael and paused to reply. Of course she responded and on we went until I decided to walk with George and Betty instead of shopping. For the first time since mid December we climbed to the top and although the ground and flood water is frozen, we enjoyed an hour of fresh cold air! Walking back down I first saw Brian with his Westie, so we chatted, then David appeared with Hattie so we walked back to the car park together. He had picked up a large bag of kindling for me which will see me through a couple of weeks which is very helpful because our cold weather will get worse next week!

Lin, I follow a gardener on YouTube who I think lives in South Carolina and today he was more interested in giving an Arctic blast weather warning for most of America but particularly mentioned Chicago and your area. He says it will hang around until the end of the month… just in case you aren’t aware! Canada to Anne. Record breaking low temperatures apparently so yes, if you could get your chair delivered, I would say you are in the best place for now.
    Stay home Sandy too!

Love the Cheshire Cat teapot!

I shopped for groceries before lunch then got down to some investigating and slowly but surely I am collecting information through contacts to prove the nasty bully is also a liar which, as an elected official, is an offence so Rachael will be able to make a formal complaint then leave the rest to the police who will hopefully charge him.

Must get myself to bed. 🥱😴
    Keep warm and safe.
    Jackie
  • Loveburg87
    edited January 13
    Options
    Hi everybody. We are expecting snow all day, but overnight it rained so hard for hours I could hardly sleep for the loud drumming on my patio French window. Definitely a day for staying indoors and I don’t need the armchair JACKIE, my sofa WAS delivered so Bean and I can cozy up on that.

I guess I really only need the armchair for telly watching or to make the place a little less uncluttered. No big deal.

The one thing I find interesting in communal living is all the different personalities and quirks. The gentleman with the beard who sneezes three times at all meals and is so loud he almost blows the roof off. The smilers, the ones who wear so many rings on each hand they could be jewelled knuckledusters and of course the complainers. It’s definitely a learning experience! And great fun not commenting but observing. A bit like village life really.

Anyway all for now. Must take Jilly bean for a trot and sniff.

Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) I believe the snow is finished, now comes the freezing sub zero temp. I haven't decided if I am going to Church later, it will depend on how the streets look. Family zoom call at 12:30 but other than that, not much going on.
    Babe's daughter has been texting asking about dates for her visit and then for her husband. They don't travel together as they have 12 cats and one has to stay home with them while the other travels. Michele will come in in June for Marisa's birthday and stay in a hotel with her sister-in-law and friend but she asked if Dave could stay with me when he comes in two weeks later. I agreed, but not entirely happy about it since I haven't seen him in probably 20 years. One Day at a Time.

Anne, I think I could adjust to living in a place like yours. I would just miss having family stay with me when they visit. But you do have your own apartment so you are independent. People watching is always fun especially when they do weird things. lol Stay warm and healthy please. How is your sore throat?

Jackie, I do hope you can get rid of that bully or even worse abuser. He belongs in jail for hurting a woman or for that matter anyone. I do hope Rachael wins this case thanks to good friends like you.
    I have been in the house since Thursday and will not venture out until the roads are good.

Lin, your weather is worse than ours and with the Republican debates Monday who will show up? I won't watch it but it seems only two candidates will be there if I am correct. I did have fun but will admit after dancing I was out of breath, old age is catching up with me. lol

Have a good day everyone.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• Loveburg87
    edited January 13
    Options
    SANDY, these homes have empty apartments for visitors. Drawback, you have to rent on a day to day stay. I think this type of living would suit your outgoing personality, plus all the card games etc. i tend to be a bit of a loner, MOST of the time, not always. Visitors can eat in the dining room, but again, you have to pay for their meals. Not as bad as a restaurant though.

Anne.
    PS. Sore throat almost gone. Definitely not Corvid.
  • jacAth3
    edited January 13
    Options
    Today has been one of those grey, bleak ones but after a leisurely start I drove George and Betty to our usual spot and walked across the top moor. Not much of a view what with the low clouds and mist, but the arctic wind has gone for a couple of days so it wasn’t unpleasant, plus I wore a thick pair of tights under my jeans!

My contact came through with information that proves the ghastly bully had been lying to Rachael about there ever being a council meeting that decided to evict her so I’ve sent her the relevant details for her to follow up and make a formal complaint. Then Linda messaged this afternoon to tell me her son had seen the bully walking with a stick so hopefully he hurt himself when attacking Rachael, although I wouldn’t put it past him to pretend she attacked and hurt him!

Sandy, Earlier this evening I came upon a YouTube live feed from Chicago airport showing the snow blowing across the runways. Brrr! My friend in France has confirmed her macular degeneration is one eye dry and the other wet! She now writes emails using the microphone and hopes it generally understands her but knowing that, it’s easy to just skip over words when reading that don’t make sense! Her husband bought her an electric bike but she worries she might drive into someone so tends to walk. One of her daughters lives in Canada and sent her a stick with 4 feet so if she has to pause, it helps with her balance. I’m not sure I would feel comfortable with a male guest I hadn’t seen for 20 years! Can’t he stay in a hotel?

Continue to keep warm sneakers. We are expecting another Arctic blast by Tuesday and possibly heavy snow Wednesday but I’m stocked up with fuel for the stoves and food for my tummy!

Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    edited January 14
    Options
    Wow, what a day. Missing packages, loads of snow to move and thankfully I only had to shovel a little bit of it. The temperature has been falling and is already -11 degrees F at 6:30pm. I am not sure how low it is suppose to go? Maybe -20 so heaven knows what the wind chill will be. Church is cancelled for tomorrow. I did scoop a path across the deck and was close enough to knock off the long icicle on my furnace exhaust. Looks like it may be a long winter checking on that every day. The snow blower guys showed up around lunchtime. The two of them look quite grumpy but it has been a terrible week.

I have the cabinet doors open where there are water pipes to sinks in my kitchen and one bathroom upstairs. Hoping for no frozen pipes or anything else disastrous. It is darn cold though.

I talked to a lady from church forever this afternoon. I mean FOREVER. I couldn’t get away. Almost 3 hours…!

I tried a Silver Sneakers class today. It was a stretching class and I liked it. I have signed up for another one tomorrow as well as a walking class. Great selection of short Zoom classes 7 days a week!

Jackie, maybe that horrid man has a stick/cane to beat on people he encounters that irritate him. Such drama in your little corner of the world.

Anne, loving your descriptions of the cast of characters in your communal abode. Thank heavens there is no mandatory attendance and you and Jilly can spend time together without interruption. I hope your cold has not worsened.

Sandy, I would be very hesitant to have this man stay with you. Extended family I guess but you cannot know lots about him. Find him a hotel room!

Well, time to make more tea. I like warm drinks!

Talk to you soon.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

e12m8yhu5yok.jpeg

• Sandydur
    Options
    lSandy, I would be very hesitant to have this man stay with you. Extended family I guess but you cannot know lots about him. Find him a hotel room!

Just to clarify, Dave is Michele’s husband my step son-in-law. He is not a stranger, just been a while since I have seen him. I did tell Michele he could stay here. She changes her mind so much who knows if he will come or not!
  • Loveburg87
    edited January 14
    Options
    Might as well say my piece. SANDY, there’s no way I’d have this man stay with me, STEP son in law or not. I think Michelle had a cheek asking you to put him up. Honest the unthinking people who put us in these uncomfortable positions. Believe me it’s an eye opener living here. Elderly men still thinking they are with it with flirtatious asides. And some women ARE flattered. Easy to wriggle out of this if you are nervous. Just say you don’t want to be the subject of neighbours and the landlords speculation on who your visitor is.
    Hope you will forgive me, and you know best in the end, but remember you are our friend and we don’t want anything bad happening to you.
    Love, Anne. ❤️
  • jacAth3
    edited January 14
    Options
    Up early and out this morning and ended up walking with Ruth and her Jack Russell Digby plus David and Harriet. We walked for about an hour and a half with no cold wind to bother us, then I drove into town for a few dog treats and more cat food. Brady does seem to eat more during cold spells and if it stops him catching quite so many mice, so much the better!
    My friend Pat called me on WhatsApp as I was finishing preparing a pork casserole for my slow cooker so we chatted for a couple of hours. She will be retiring from her part time job at a supermarket now she is coming up to her 75th birthday but still gets bogged down in silly work politics. It will do her good to walk away because the job gives stress, then she can get a pain in her head related to her stroke.

Goodness Lin, that is cold and I understand your concerns about frozen pipes. My outside tap is wrapped in a thick layer of bubble wrap but I still worry because the supply in my cottage comes in at the same place and has frozen in the past. Not enough to burst pipes but to leave me without water. A good idea to open cabinet doors overnight… I will do the same as temperatures fall. That has reminded me to pop outside now to wrap the rubber pipe that connects the kitchen hob to a tank of gas because that can also freeze! At least the fire in my dining room is glowing and I will soon light the wood burner in my snug!

Anne, I think some men get silly when older, that or dream they are 18 again! Perhaps women do too although I don’t know any. Much happier being independent to do their own thing!

Happy Sunday everyone. Stay safe and warm.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Sandydur
    edited January 14
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) Minus 7 degrees with a real feel of minus 12. I am glad I went to church yesterday and will stay in and stay warm today.

I appreciate all the kind and worrisome thoughts but I really must clarify about Dave. He is harmless and the only reason I said I wasn't happy about him staying with me is because he is sort of a mope. He is ruled by Babe's daughter and I don't think makes any decisions for himself. I have to give him credit for staying married to Michele for 38 years because she is very difficult to live with. She is bipolar, schizophrenic and has more health issues than you can imagine, either real or hypochondriac. He was lucky he had Babe as a father in law since Babe took care of them whether in paying their mortgage or bailing them out of debt. Since Michele is a vegetarian Dave had to become one also so I have no idea what he eats but kidded Cheryl and told her I would make him a steak which he probably would love.
    I am only kidding of course but trust me when I say if he does show up it will be fine. Cheryl and I will keep him busy since he will have no car and he will want to spend time with Marisa.
    You really are such kind ladies and I love that you cared so much but Michele is very wishy washy and he may never come. She has already said airfare is high so she will let me know.

Have a good day and stay warm especially Lin and myself.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited January 14
    Options
    Hello 🥶🥶🥶🥶

It has warmed up to -13 F with wind chill up to -28. Overnight it was about -20 degrees with a wind chill almost -40.

The water is still flowing in the kitchen and the upstairs bathroom. In fact I took a nice hot shower this morning. And the furnace is still running although something smells a bit hot.

I checked the furnace exhaust pipe and no ice buildup but the sliding door to the deck was extremely difficult to open.

A package went missing in the mail yesterday. First time I have ever seen Informed Delivery highlight an entry in red saying location of package unknown. 😧 that package has the sentiments I was going to use for Valentine cards and St. Patrick’s Day cards. Darn!!

Church is canceled today of course.

I signed up for several Silver Sneakers classes. The first one turned out to be unwatchable The instructor’s broadcast kept freezing up, audio cut out and he shut off the chat so there was no way to inform him of it. I left. Hope the second class a bit later works well.

Sandy, we didn’t mean to beat up on you. ❤️❤️

Jackie, the need for additional cat food—that was something that came up in my conversation that lasted hours. She has a cat and the one thing she had someone pick up for her was cat food and she said she needs to get out soon for more!

Anne, hello. How are you feeling today?

I guess I will make some lunch. I have been paying bills, I need to ferret around and find if there are any I missed lurking about.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

dtwa7a8jz6yc.jpeg
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Frigid Monday! :) minus 6 degrees and only getting colder. I am staying in once again and my cleaning lady postponed until Friday when it might get a little warmer. Her car won't start and I was going to tell her to postpone anyway as it is too cold for anyone to be out unless necessary.
    Lisa invited me to her parents home yesterday to watch a movie, but I declined. Unfortunately, my TV service is not working but my internet works for watching TV on my computer and/or streaming. I am glad I bought a laptop as it was more comfortable watching TV sitting on my recliner couch. I think the cable to the TV might be frozen but there are many outages in my area. Thank goodness the electric is still on and the pipes seems to be doing good. It is drafty in here with all these old windows but I just turned the heat up and use the fireplace when in the living room. I really have no place to be until Wednesday when I relieve Lisa's mom for sitting as Rob is supposed to go to office Wednesday and Thursday. It's only a little over two weeks before Cheryl and I go to Las Vegas so that will be a nice break.

Have a good day my friends and keep smiling, Spring is around the corner.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    edited January 16
    Options
    Happy Monday. An Arctic blast has arrived here too so I stayed off the moors and instead took Betty and George for a quick stroll round the block, then left them at home while I drove to a tyre garage because mine looked a bit worn. Good news, he told me they are legal and safe so to pop back in a few months when he will check them again. Although very cold, the sun shone all day so I finally sorted through tomato seeds and planted them. Chopped a few logs then it was time for a cuppa and set fires. It’s going to be well below freezing tonight so I’ve brought the seed trays indoors then I can dream about juicy summer tomatoes!
    I hadn’t spoken to Sheila since last Sunday so we caught up on the phone. She’d had another of her bad migraines but was beginning to feel better.

Sandy, I find I watch more internet than tv these days. Nearly all our tv dramas look dark and depressing but perhaps I’m just getting older and more sensitive! I assume Las Vegas will be a lot warmer than Chicago so that’s something to look forward to.

Gone midnight and time for bed. It will be lovely to snuggle into my duvet because now the fire is dying down my feet are cold.

I hope everyone is keeping well and warm.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Loveburg87
    Options
    Hello. Like everybody else we are experiencing extreme cold, it’s minus 8 Celsius and snowing. But, tomorrow it gets colder. Michael came over with his friend on Sunday, a) to introduce me to Tamara (who I immediately liked) and b) to bring me a home cooked meal of roast chicken breast with an interesting filling, roast potatoes and oodles of green veggies. I shared the chicken with Jilly and we both thoroughly enjoyed our meal. He’s a good cook, my Michael but I think the filling, which was cheese based was supplied by Tamara. He also brought Jilly Bean enough food to last for two weeks come what may with the weather.
    And he’s also got ideas about springing me out of the home. lol. I’m not sure these plans will actually materialise mind you. Something to do with selling his condo and buying a house with an attached granny flat. His cooking which is far superior to the homes cook could lure me away so watch this space although in my case I’m not holding my breath, and by the time it became a reality - well I’ll be pretty ancient if still around.
    Other than that bit of startling news not much to write about as we all sit huddled in various forms of fleecy tops. Gerty is still in isolation, the only one now I believe. Maybe more later today. Breakfast time coming up.
    Anne.