Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    edited January 24
    Options
    Hello. It seems every day is a busy day. I have 20 minutes before my next online event. This one is the usual YouTube Live. I did participate in 3 Zoom classes today. My body is howling a bit. Ouch!

I sorted things so that I am more organized for finishing and addressing the Valentines, Assembling the St. Patrick’s Day cards and starting my experiments for Easter. I also attempted the refill of a number of my Copic markers as the different colors of ink refills arrived. They changed the container and the method for using the, so I had to hunt for the special tool to pull the nib from each marker as I worked. Wow, those were definitely stuck tight!

Anne, how are you feeling? Are you out of quarantine? Is Jilly coping? I also hope you find new and more comfortable bras. Difficult to do from an ad. I ordered some slip on bras and they seemed okay but something was wrong, the girls slipped out as apparently the bra wasn’t tight enough. 👀

Sandy, we had a coating of ice this morning and lots of fog. The temperature did rise during the day and the ice melted. By then I had already made my way, very carefully, down the driveway to pull my emptied trash cart back to the house. I hope you had a safe afternoon. More of the same overnight I guess. It is tough to forecast when the temperature is so close to freezing. But that is a big warm-up!

Jackie, I am sorry you had unsettled sleep last night. I trust tonight will be better. It is difficult to economize. I did get back to a bit of cooking today. I made a nice pot of quinoa and then threw all of my leftovers together in some vegetarian pasta. It is pretty good, there was some leftover pasta sauce, some cooked vegetable and a bit of vegan chili. And I am laughing because my leftovers with the new pasta have produced more leftovers for tomorrow. 😂

Those preparing for the Lunar New Year, here are the details.

“ Lunar New Year begins on Saturday, February 10, kicking off just over two weeks of celebrations. It also ushers in the Year of the Dragon, the fifth animal in the Chinese zodiac associated with intense energy and significant change, with 2024 predicted to be a year of opportunities and excitement.”

I am sure there will be significant change although I doubt it will make me happy!

Be safe my friends. Must run along again.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

r7s6v72neow9.jpeg

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! :) Back from getting a new crown and I love that Nitros. I am a coward when it comes to the dentist but she was very good and I felt no pain. She would like to see me replace the four connecting crowns on my front teeth because I have a little chip but it would cost a fortune. I will think about it but at my age do I really care about a little chip? She said it is cracked under the tooth so I should be careful and not use my front teeth to bite or chew. I will think about it but first I have to pay off this bill which was $1700.
    I have an appointment with my finance guy this afternoon so will get his opinion on my teeth and other questions I have. I have some CD's that matured so he wants to find out what I want to do.

I woke at 6am because of being nervous about the dentist so I am very tired, hopefully I can get a little nap in some time today.

Have a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited January 25
    Options
    Hello. A day of talking on the phone, 3 online classes and some work on a February birthday card.

I also shoveled out the end of my driveway. A company that is going to install cable covered half of the end of my driveway with super heavy snow and ice as they dug out a utility portal. What a mess and it was heavy work. My neighbor came over to talk to me, not to shovel! Apparently our handyman has been very sick—pneumonia followed by Covid. He is too weak to do anything. His wife drove him to a couple of houses, according to the neighbor, where he checks for the snowbirds that the house is functioning. This guy has never been sick in all the decades I have known him. The neighbor thinks he may not do much work after having such a serious illness. Could be I guess.

Sandy, I hope you had a good afternoon. Must be great to have a financial advisor that you trust. 👍🏻👍🏻

I hope everyone is chugging along!!

Take care.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

xxglnq6ayd07.jpeg
  • Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Big changes here. I think because of staff shortage and maybe to cut back on the numbers congregating for meals and thus increasing the Corvid risk, our original meals were rigid and communal at 8:30, 12:15 and 5:30, but now it’s a free-for-all of us to sit down whenever we feel like wandering in. Great news for me who was used to eating breakfast at 7. I don’t think I’ll be fed at that time, but at least I can go at 8. Sad though in a way. I’ll miss my teenage giggles with Bernie, and serious chats with Carolyn the one time geologist if we don’t arrive at the same time.

I had another lousy breathless night waking up at midnight. However the weather is improving tremendously so that will help. I believe it’s 2C today a vast improvement on minus 15 and one day -25C.

That poor, poor handyman LIN to get pneumonia AND Corvid. I doubt you will see him again in a working capacity. Here the provinces waste water after testing has double the content of Corvid from last year.

So, after an early breakfast I hope I can catch a nap.
    See you all,
    Anne.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Thursday! :) Another foggy day but will go to my meeting and then stop to visit my friend who will be 98 tomorrow. She used to come to our meetings but is no longer coming as she is not up to it anymore. I am bringing a birthday card for all to sign and I bought an angel figurine that says you are loved. She is such a nice lady but claims her brain is not working like it should. She is donating her brain to science when she dies since she is part of a group that monitored her brain function for years. She is in assisted living and still does very well at her age. She will be missed at our meetings.

Anne, maybe you can arrange for all your table partners to meet at the same time for meals. Sorry you are having problems with breathing at night, have they considered taking an x ray to rule out any lung problems? Any word about Michael and the mother's quarters arrangement?

Lin, I am so sorry about your handyman, what a terrible experience for him. Please be careful with that heavy snow, you know how dangerous that can be. I am using my daughter's finance guy that they have been with for 20 or more years. I have complete trust in him and welcome his advice.

My dentist was kind enough to call me last night to see how I was doing, I was impressed. I did tell her that I never thought I would find a dentist as good as the one I had who sold the business to her and her husband. (both are dentist) But she did a great job and did the same as he did to make me feel comfortable and painless. She welcomed the compliment.

Have a good day everyone, spring can't be too far ahead can it?
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I didn’t manage to check in yesterday because I was again getting caught up with emails and messages about Mr Nasty and Rachel. Today is bleak with thick fog so I can barely see beyond the end of my garden! This meant a doggy walk round the block before driving to see Linda and catch up over coffee. She wants to lose weight so no cake but I didn’t mind because I don’t want to gain! The story around nasty bully just gets worse so when we think we have a plan of action more bizarre information turns up but we will get there!

At the moment my plans for the morning are to meet David in a layby then guide him to the local reservoir for a walk, then coffee. Having just let Betty into the garden, I see it is now foggy AND raining so something will need to change overnight but the forecast is for a sunny day so I’ll keep fingers and toes crossed. A few years ago I used to regularly walk George round the lake but I’m not sure he and Betty would want to manage a 3 mile stroll and Hattie definitely not, especially as she is overweight!

Lin, you are finding delightful teapots! I admire your patience when you found a pile of hard snow dumped at the end of your drive. I would have had something to say, although I doubt it would have made a difference other than make me feel better!

Sandy, your 98 year old friend sounds remarkable and I find people of that age that remain sprightly question the slightest change when most of us would be happy to have three quarters of their brain function! Wow, your dentist is also remarkable and kind to phone to see you were alright.

Anne, that’s great to lose the rigid mealtimes but Sandy is right, see if you can get some of your favourite people to agree times to meet, at least once a day.

Enjoy the rest of the day.
    Jackie 🥰

• linder4866
    edited January 26
    Options
    Good evening. I finished the birthday card I started yesterday and did a lot of messaging with a friend. It seems there is always something unexpected going on. My friend was helping her daughter with a broken down car, finding out what repairs would get it back on the road and how much it would cost. Then she gave her a ride to whatever places she needed to go given her car is in the repair shop. Later she said her great granddaughter just had a miscarriage but they don’t think she has expelled all the tissue so they gave her some pill to take. Good grief. No doctor’s care or amythung. Take the pill and if you have problems, get to the hospital. Doesn’t seem very kind.

The weather was overcast again today with lots of fog. Later very light rain started. No sunshine expected until sometime next week.

I hope to get back to Valentines tomorrow.

Oh, and there is a special line dancing get together on Zoom in the afternoon. I may not know much but I will do what I can and at least I can watch the things I do not know at all.

Jackie, oh my, continued unhappy news about that man! I hope it is all sorted soon and that he disappears into the woodwork! Do you have to prepay electric service via some type of box? I don’t know anything about the system. Here at least you get a chance to run up a big bill and if you have no money, during some months they cannot disconnect service. Having to pay ahead for any sort of utility like power or water sounds harsh. Well, I hope tomorrow is a good day and that you have a pleasant walk.

Anne, my gosh, things are changing indeed. I agree, maybe once a day you can make plans to meet up with a couple of your buddies for a meal. So you still are feeling quite unwell? But no quarantine right?

Sandy, very considerate of you to organize a card for everyone to sign. I am sure it will be much appreciated. Great that there’s personal background with the financial advisor, that really does help!

Hey everyone else, what’s up? Drop a line or two.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

kjvrwnch5jaw.jpeg

• Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Friday! :) Started laundry then went to get my hair done and now back home to finish laundry.
    Another rainy, foggy day and we need some sunshine. Hopefully, it will be sunny in Vegas and a little warmer.

Lin, I have to agree that they should have taken the young lady to the hospital, it is possible she needs a D and C. Joanne, the 98 year old friend was brought to tears by the gift and the card. Her memory is starting to fail and although I had arranged to see her at 2:30 she forgot and went to an activity that lasted to 3:00. When she saw me she said oh I didn't know that was you when they told her she had a visitor. She also got confused when she said I didn't know you were in my meeting. Poor dear, but she has lived a long and wonderful life being a teacher and an environmentalist.

Jackie, this bully must have a lot of pull to be able to get away with all that he does. Poor Rachael, all she wants is to be heard and understood. Our weather seems to be the same with fog and rain. Do the dogs like to walk in the rain or prefer to stay home?

Anne, did you get the results of your second covid test? How are you feeling today?

Have some computer stuff to get done so might as well get to it. Have a good day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • jacAth3
    Options
    It’s done it again and lost a long post!! I select Save Draft and it immediately disappears! 🤬 I had just finished explaining to Lin our general system of paying utility bills… fascinating!
    It’s bedtime now so I will leave it until the morning. I did enjoy a sunny day and long walk at the local reservoir until George began to look tired. I even carried him for a short time but think that embarrassed him! He and Betty slept all afternoon while I pottered outside. Sandy, they both have rain jackets but still don’t particularly like walking when it’s wet. Today was a treat for all of us!

Jackie 🥱😴

• linder4866
    edited January 27
    Options
    Hello, Friday night and I am tired once again. I am working on cards but took a number of breaks for online classes. I did part of the line dance party this afternoon but didn’t know a lot of the dances and ended up on the wrong foot most of the time. 😄😄. Glad our cameras are disabled!

Jackie, I am sorry you lost your post. No need to try to answer my question. I do not want to waste your time. Glad you got a walk today. We are expecting some sunshine next week. The continuing gray is bleak and depressing. The only nice things today were the birds flitting around in a tree and a squirrel was out jumping on my deck. Funny!

Sandy, glad you got your hair done. Yeah! But I am sorry your friend has lost some of her memories. Wonderful that she appreciated your attention and gift. That must have made her day.

Anne, how are you feeling?

I need to get out there to pick up my mail.

Be safe everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

ihinpznl0c2z.jpeg
  • Sandydur
    edited January 27
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) Family zoom call and later going to Mass with Cheryl and my niece for a mass I had said for her mom. We will go out to dinner after Mass. It's a little warmer today but still foggy.

Lin, are you enjoying the exercises online? Is this something new or have you always done this? I would have the camera off if I attempted any kind of dancing. lol

Jackie, I am surprised you lost your post after hitting save draft, I use it often but there much be a glitch.
    Glad to hear you got some sun, I sure wish we would.

Anne, hope you are okay, you worry me with your breathing. Check in please.

Have a great Saturday.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello, still dreary with a warming for heavy fog tonight and tomorrow morning. Visibility will be poor once again. Makes online church a good option.

I did a bit of laundry today. May do another load tomorrow. I have clean socks in the drawer again. The rest is hanging on the line in the basement.

Finished my 3 classes this morning. The schedule over the weekend have fewer options.

Sandy, no, I was only eligible for these classes this January as I changed insurance. The classes I attended some years ago were, at that time, free but it was a long drive. I checked out the Y later on but it was too expensive as were the local clubs. After Covid, the place a long drive way, charged for classes with a surcharge if you didn’t live in that suburb. I checked with a friend and she said when they open a new round or classes, people were signing in at midnight to get in and the place is elbow to elbow with people. Not for me thank you!

Very happy to have these options for free.

I need to get back to card assembly. They don’t magically finish themselves. 😂

Be safe everyone. Take care.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

ar4ecto5faiw.jpeg

• Sandydur
    edited January 28
    Options
    Happy Sunday! :) We had a good time in honoring my sister in law at Mass and dinner. Restaurant was okay but not one of my favorites as far as food. Everyone laughs at me because I am always looking for a restaurant for my funeral luncheon and try different places even though I won't be there. I just want to find a place that I know people will enjoy, so that I can add it to the instructions for my funeral. It's sort of a standing joke now so we laugh about it often. I want everyone to party after my mass and have a great time. I know I am weird. :p

Lin, cute turtle teapot. I often think of going back to the gym, I do like the machines but I am not a morning person and not sure I want to pay the fees. I wish my insurance had silver sneakers but it does not. I need to be more consistent with riding my bike, the older I get the lazier I get. lol

I hope everyone else is doing well and has a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• jacAth3
    edited January 28
    Options
    Happy Sunday. Foggy here too AND cold so apart from a short walk this morning, then making sure the hens had food and water, I’ve stayed in. Read a magazine on beautiful homes in the UK, not that I can afford the renovations that have taken place in some, but it’s nice to dream!
    Yesterday I took George and Betty to the moors and let George decide where to go and because he loves a cold breeze when his Winter coat is long, he ran to the top. Not many go that way when it’s cold so no one to talk to. My friend Christine dropped in with a box of eggs that her hens had laid but couldn’t stay long because neighbours had visitors who blocked our parking area and she had left her car on the track, blocking everyone!
    I’ve invited Rachael to visit so I can assist her putting a complaint together about the bully’s behaviour then I’m planning to attend a council meeting Wednesday evening when the public are invited to ask questions. I can’t mention what happened to Rachael but have a few questions of my own.
    Cauliflower cheese for my dinner this evening then see if I can persevere with Call the Midwife.

My exercise bike remains parked in a corner of my dining room since I walk every day. I only average 5,000 steps in the Winter but when I walked with David on Friday that was doubled. Amazing what a difference a sunny day makes!

Sandy, you are organised, looking for a restaurant for your Wake! I’ve left instructions for a get together in a local pub once my ashes are available then they can clamber on to the moors and throw me into the wind!

Lin, my downstairs loo started to misbehave yesterday when flushed. It kept trickling too much water into the cistern so I bravely removed the lid and fiddled with the plastic Ballcock, once I worked out which way to turn it. Now I just have to find that elusive plumber to disconnect the water into the one upstairs! Did you have luck with yours?

Time to light the wood burner in my snug then cook.

Enjoy the rest of Sunday and stay safe.
    Jackie 🥰
  • linder4866
    edited January 28
    Options
    Wow! The sun popped through this afternoon! 🌞 That helps to lift the gloom. I got to all of my Live classes today and to church. Live video is a good thing when everything works. I also got the additional load of laundry washed, dried, and put way. Most of the St. Patrick’s Day cards have fronts now. Must get back to the interiors of the Valentines. I can’t believe it but I have the football game on right now. 🤦🏼‍♀️

I guess I am somewhat preoccupied. I receive an email last evening from my cousin’s wife. Extremely unusual. I have a few living cousins but no one who keeps in touch on any sort of regular basis. Definitely no phone calls and no emails. I send JacquieLawson cards to some of them with a note enclosed. This lady usually responds while my actual cousin will send this response every time. “Thanks.”

The email addressed to me and 7 of her relatives included some detailed information. My cousin needs a quadruple bypass, the blockages are quite bad, all over 90%. He is now scheduled for this surgery a week from Monday. So fingers crossed that he doesn’t have a heart attack before then. He also has AFib so at risk for a stroke. I never keep track but she said he is 80 years old. ICU time is expected to be a week to 10 days. That shocked me.

They are scheduled to move to a CCC facility in mid-March. A fancy one like Buzz’s facility in Florida. Now that is up in the air too.

Add on top of this, his wife is recovering from a stroke. Not a major one but she still has follow-up appointments with her doctor.

Well, that is a boatload of information. I wrote a note this afternoon and already received a response thanking me for my encouragement and an assurance she will keep in touch as events unfold.

Life is odd.

Sandy, well, restaurant hunter, the folks will go wherever they want to gather so don’t worry about it. But enjoy the meals you have! I read an article about all the germs and viruses on equipment at the gym! Ack! The worst thing they tested were the gym mats. Remember those? Used in a lot of cardio/aerobics classes for the stretching etc. at the end of a session. I am lazy too! I need a big dose of caffeine each day to keep me moving.

Jackie, gotta love George taking off to the top of the moors. What a doggie, he knows what he wants. Gotta love that. You are very kind to support your friend Rachael as she readies her complaint. I hope you get the answers you seek on Wednesday evening. I think he will weasel away. Best wishes! Ah, it must be the season for toilet problems! I did get the one going that flooded my bathroom. It isn’t perfect but it works. The other one, no progress, the water shutoff valve is still totally unmovable. So much for WD-40 and my Silicon spray. That needs to be done before tackling the inside of the toilet. It needs flipper mechanism but I don’t know if it needs anything else. I will have to call a plumber. Likely the water in the house will need to be shut off while they work on some new sort of shutoff and the new insides. I can get it to flush by just lifting that flipper thingy. I just am not comfortable with the inability to shutoff the water in an emergency. Hope you are warm and cozy.

Everyone else okay?

Talk to you soon.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

7qn7lxbmqzjg.jpeg

• Sandydur
    Options
    Sandy, well, restaurant hunter, the folks will go wherever they want to gather so don’t worry about it
    Lin, no the restaurant I pick will be where everyone who comes to my mass will be invited for a luncheon and drinks and paid for by me, through my kids. So I want a nice one with good food and drinks.
  • Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Morning. I’m sorry I’ve been absent but I’ve been rather ill with some new virus floating around. I tottered off to find the nurse a couple of days ago. Found her, feet up with another nurse having an animated conversation in some asiatic language. Anyway, explained I had severe back problems, and extremely frightening breathing problems meaning I darent sleep at night and was this a sign of an imminent heart attack. Because I’m deaf in one ear she yelled back at me that I wasn’t having a heart attack, had tested negative for Covid and GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR. Apparently the standard answer for all who seek professional advice. I tried to explain that my DIL has a friend with the exact same symptoms and her doctor says a new bug is travelling the rounds. To no avail, GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR. A bit difficult on a Saturday! I decided it wasn’t in my best interests to give her a good shove and tottered back to the apartment and because I am growing very fond of my table companions have decided to self isolate for a couple of days. Mary Jo and Mark came over armed with tea, oatmeal, oranges, cans of soup etc and a large tape measure to measure me up for a more comfy bra to be ordered online. And that’s why I’ve been AWOL. Feeling sorry for myself.

I think we are all on your wavelength SANDY when it comes to a good old traditional English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish wake. I don’t think I’ve ever attended a family funeral without a good old fashioned bun fight to say goodbye to the departed. Once we found some rather naughty poems in my dad’s possessions. We persuaded my cousin Eileen to perch on a stool and read one aloud. This was accompanied by hoots of laughter and my poor mother very worried about what the neighbours would think. Us all having assembled back at my parents house for a meal. I bet my dad appreciated the merriment.

So we soldier on. Mike apparently on his way to replenish poor Jilly Beans treats.

Fondly, Anne. ❤️🙃🐶

• Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Monday! :) I got up at 6:15 to take Lisa's parents to the airport and came home and took a half hour nap. I am going to get my hair tweaked at 12:30 because I feel the top is too long. And then at 2:00 I am going to let Cheryl's dog out so another nap might be in my future. Tomorrow I plan on staying home and doing some last minute laundry and packing for my trip early Wednesday morning.

Anne, sorry to hear you are still ill, I hope you can get to your doctor today to see what's going on. You are very considerate of others by isolating, not like some of those residents. What good is the nurse if she can't help you in an emergency? Shouldn't they have arrangements to either an immediate care or the ER? I just hate that this is going on for so long although my friend is going through the same thing.
    They however, put her on oxygen to help her sleep at night. Get well soon dear friend.

Time to eat something. I hope everyone is healthy and having a good day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • linder4866
    edited January 29
    Options
    Hello. What a day! Warmer temperatures, sunshine and virtually no breeze.

Sandy, a busy day. I hope you got some naps. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. That was not my intent. ❤️ I just didn’t want you to worry about it. ❤️

Anne, oh my friend. I am so sorry you are still unwell. Any chance that a doctor comes to your facility at least once a week? Any other options? Could one of your kids get you set up with an online appointment where you just talk to a doctor? I am glad that Mike is keeping Jilly well stocked.

I did get to a store this afternoon and now have some fresh vegetables as well as fresh fruit. 🙌🏻

Hello Jackie, Joy, Barbie, Jeri, Diane and all other Sneakers.

So Jackie, do you have birthday celebration plans? Your day isn’t far away.

Be safe everyone.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

cjvnyx0sxlfv.jpeg
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Sandy, a busy day. I hope you got some naps. Sorry if I hurt your feelings. That was not my intent. ❤️ I just didn’t want you to worry about it. ❤️
    Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

Lin, my friend, you could never hurt my feelings, you are one of the kindest people I know.
    I was just letting you know how my family handles wakes and funerals, like Anne a big party.
    Love you.
    Sandy