Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    I tossed the crappy sauce that comes with it and combined 3tspb g Hughes sugar Free cocktail sauce, 1.5 tsp of extra hot prepared horseradish and a dash of worchestershire sauce. I don't necessarily love shrimp, but they are a perfect receptacle to shovel spicy cocktail sauce into my face
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    Would be nice if we had sugar-free cocktail sauces over here!!! 😟

As to shrimp... Either my taste buds are deadening with age which is entirely possible or there is a degree of sameness and competent mediocrity ( but no better) to a lot of mass farmed products
  • nicsflyingcircus
    edited February 23
    Options
    Honestly, the onky way I like shrimp is with hot cocktail sauce or the way we ate it growing up, tempura battered and deep fried with good tangy/vinegary sweet and sour sauce (not the sickly sweet pink glop that mostly passes for it here). Chinese buffet one Sunday a month was the best!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,634 Member
    Options
    amazing progress, Nic!
  • PAV8888
    edited February 23
    Options
    Breakfast was instant whole grain cream of wheat... cooked in coffee and eaten with my coffee!😎 (160 Cal, 175 including the coffee!)

500g rice sized broccoli cauliflower carrots (<150Cal) dunked in way too many calories of Campbell creamy Thai chili soup (1125!!!! But possibly it is two not one can 😇)

Plus sweet dessert : Skyr 0% (300Cal) and dole peach cups (115Cal, drank the liquid first though😝) with a touch of liquid sucralose.

There, day planned... mostly!😝

* possibly a 30g 103 Cal oopsies while talking with the parental's health provider and dunked a spoon into the marshmallow fluff jar a couple of times while pacing around....
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    I made a stew out of leftover pork loin (a little dry), 2tsp gravy mix, about 1/2 cup of water and 1oz each of carrots and potato. I ate all the meat out first and had to stop, so I'll eat he veggies a little later.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Well at least we can agree Nic that you're going for quality! 😎
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Stew? Marshmallow fluff?? Lol ... I know you had oodles and oodles of good stuff too, PAV - but on my screen at the moment those are the two things I can see. Made me laugh :)
  • PAV8888
    edited February 24
    Options
    Stew? Marshmallow fluff?? Lol ... I know you had oodles and oodles of good stuff too, PAV - but on my screen at the moment those are the two things I can see. Made me laugh :)

I will let you know young Laurie that in order to balance out the unanticipated big mac, a bag of italian mixed vegetables and 500ml of lower sodium chicken broth were deployed to increase the soup volume and split it into two days.

Marshmallow fluff is marshmallow fluff. Tastes good. Spikes blood sugar fast. Relatively few calories for what it is. Makes a bit of a sticky mess. And you leave some logged fluff on the spoon!

The issue is not the marshmallow fluff.

The issue is how automatic it still is for me to grab fluff or fluff equivalent when on the phone dealing with not even any particularly major issues. Sure I am now more aware of doing this than ever before. Especially since I log the stuff and weigh it even while on the phone and doing so. And sure I work around it. But really. What was the benefit or enjoyment out of that fluff? I can't really say that it truly somehow added to my day. It was just something I gobbled while pre-occupied/agitated/what have you on the phone. Down the hatch... a true definition of fleetingly empty calories. Maybe not consuming it would have cost me something? But consuming it was just something I was doing while pacing (which I've deliberately cultivated for phone calls in order to reduce "chips, chocolates, or dry nuts" snacking". Hey... where's the scoutmommy to explain to me what sort of self soothing I was doing!?!?!?!?! :blush:

Based on track record though I would say that "smart" brand microwave popcorn has similar calories but more fiber per phone call! Albeit makes more of a crunch so may not be suitable for all parties!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I never doubted you, PAV.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    :love:

(but *I* don't trust that guy to keep it together!)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Today, cottage cheese with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder.

Fage 2% Greek Yogurt cup with half a scoop of protein powder and 30g frozen(thawed) mixed berries
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    Meal prep today: beef stew.

Chuck roast, well-trimmed and cut into small cubes, seasoned and seared. Added celery, mushrooms, carrots and turnips and 2 cups of beef bone broth. Garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper. Let It simmer for a good while, then added half a "beef stew" packet, mostly for thickening, and let it cook awhile longer. Should make me 6 meals. Tonight, then the next 3 nights at work and two portions in the freezer against the future.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Nicki's stuff sounds good!!!

I just split my veggie batch (I'm currently on the italian mix kick) in two so 375g each. Added a Bratwurst in each half (ouch the calories on that!!!! Maybe because the pack of PC ones are coming in at just over 104g each?)... and then discovered a clam-shell of unfinished well past "best before date" tomatoes so I added 255g of tomatoes to each half!

First half gone with a pouch of betty crocker! :wink: Calories a bit high though :neutral:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Last night I roasted a chicken and had it with stuffing, broccoli casserole, crescent rolls, and gravy. Super simple, but super comforting. I will be eating off of this for like 4 days. Then I am making spaghetti and meatballs with a salad and garlic bread.

This week is about easy and basic. My pain and fatigue levels have been very high. Same with my stress levels from work. So as long as I eat at home and don't order in, I am calling that a win this week... even if it is not the "healthiest" of meals.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sounds like a manageable goal, Athijade. Good to keep a hand on the wheel - even during challenging times.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Home cooked definitely offers more opportunity for portion and ingredient management
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Today has been the "new" breakfast and soup X two. Green soup for supper and "orange" :) soup for lunch!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Fully planned you is!

Me not as much

I suppose I should have my veggies and sausage from day before yesterday that i was planning to eat last night but skipped in favor of a big Mac before starting the drive back [both are just under 600 Cal except one has more bulk and veggies and the other more fat and sauce!]