Daily Check In

Options

Replies

• gloriawrightcook
    gloriawrightcook Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    Hi Becky,

Oh, I am so sorry that the holidays were so hard. I know that is how it is, especially the first one after such a huge loss. And I don't think you ever stop missing your mom.

Is it still snowy and slippery there? My friend went to Minneapolis for Christmas and she was lamenting that there wasn't any snow. Sounds like she just missed it. Is it cold there? Our weather has been pretty mild up until the last several days, and now it is so cold, colder than it should be. I just don't do so well when it is cold but this year I have been trying not to be so wimpy. And I really think it is more about the wind than the actual cold. The cold I can tolerate okay but when that wind is blowing, yikes, I just CAN'T, lol.

Well, most of my running these days has been at lunch time, simply because I am just not up for running alone in the dark when it is so cold. And it is a bit warmer at lunch time. I am still trying to get the strength training in and today I went for walk with some friends. My weight is up a bit, so I am watching my nutrition now too. I wish I could fit some yoga in, but so far that hasn't been possible. Also, after the tornado, the Y was badly damaged, so while it is open, parts of it are closed indefinitely, including the indoor track, which is a bummer, because that has come in handy for some of my workouts.

Oh, I almost forgot about my race! I did a 10K on Saturday. It was very hilly. I ran the first 5K but the second 5K those hills were really getting to me and I did end up walking a lot. So I still need to keep working on it!!!

• basoranno
    basoranno Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!
    We got our first snowfall of 2024 yesterday. We had no idea what to expect. Luckily we had maybe 2 inches. Right now the temps are considered above normal. That’s going to change come Friday thru early next week when temps should drop to below normal. So much for the 40’s and 50’s for now.
    I’ve been able to walk outside almost daily. It’s usually upper 20’s to 30’s when I get out. We don’t mind. By the time we get home, I’ve worked up a sweat. I’ve only wore my winter jacket twice. It’s too warm to wear it. I pretty much wear what I wore running.
    I’ve been to the Y 3 times now. I’m just getting used to the equipment so i haven’t gone into the weights yet except for one time trying out the leg press. A lot to learn yet. What I did learn is my elliptical machine is way off. I’ve been probably going much farther than my machine tells me. I won’t use the treadmill unless I’m not able to get outside. My treadmill at home is a good machine
    so I’ll use that instead.
    My eating has been up and down. Trying to get back on track after the holidays. Like kicking the sugar cravings again.
    Everyone seems to be affected by the weather we’re seeing. I hope it hasn’t been bad where everyone is at. Another system is supposed to make its way thru tomorrow again. Same type of weather. Hoping for little to no snow again.
    I hope 2024 is going well for everyone! It’s a fresh start and hopefully it’ll be a good year!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Good Morning!!!! And hello Becky. I am always so glad to hear from you. And always amazed that you get out and go in that cold weather. One day, I guess it was last week, I got out to run, and it wasn't cold, maybe low 40s, but that WIND. I could not get comfortable in that. I had a light jacket with me, that I had to keep taking off and putting on, because if I took it off, I was too cold. If I left it on, I was too hot. I don't mind the cold as much as I suffer from the wind. I can probably manage 32 degrees with no wind easier than I can handle 45 degrees with wind. Tuesday I was supposed to do hill repeats and then guess what - WINDY. We have ANOTHER limb down in our yard. It is not big this time but it damaged the fence. Again. So that day I went to the Y to do the treadmill for my "hills" since the incline on my treadmill is not working well (it works, but it makes a terrible screeching noise). And next week, we are also going to see very very cold weather. I haven't figured out my running plans yet for next week. We shall see.

Becky, I am really loving the classes at our Y. I go to strength training once or twice a week. And yesterday I went to a "fusion" class - it is yoga, pilates, and tai chi. Very gentle and calming. I also like to use the rower there but haven't done that in a long time. Our Y got hit by the tornado and so the indoor track was closed but they are hoping to reopen that area next week. I hope so.

My eating was so bad for a while but I am trying hard to get back on track. Kicking the sugar is hard. Mine seems more like impulsive eating. Just eating randomly a lot for no reason.

Okay, everyone stay warm and safe - especially you Becky, I know you are going to get hit with arctic air!!!
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Morning!
    The Arctic air hit us along with snow and then a cold! I haven’t walked outside in a week. I can’t really say it’s a cold I have. Whatever it is it’s being made worse by the dryness inside. The air is so dry inside and out. Only a few more days of this and then we’ll be back to above normal temps.
    I’ve used my treadmill and I wasn’t able to go to the Y since I wasn’t feeling well. I finally did yesterday though. I only did a 35 min bike ride though. I’m planning on going back today. My poor dogs are climbing the walls. They also haven’t walked with these extreme temps. It wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t for the snow. It makes it colder and slippery. Too cold for salt and sand to work. Plus it’s been windy here too so the wind hills are way below zero. I have the clothes to dress for this weather and I probably would be out if I was feeling good.

Gloria-I’ll have to look into the classes we have. I still need to check into a personal trainer.
    My sugar is getting under control finally. I still have a little work to do.

It looks like everyone is seeing that colder air and some are seeing our snow. I hope everyone is staying safe. I hope 2024 is going well!
  • basoranno
    Options
    Happy Saturday!
    I hope everyone is doing well.
    We’re finally back to the above normal temps again. It’s amazing how much of a difference it makes. That 1 and 1/2 weeks of no outdoor walking really was tough. Then to start it up again it felt like we hadn’t walked forever. Plus I had to throw on boots which aren’t broken in so that does a number on my feet and shins. The Y has really saved me. I’ve been doing a lot of biking there which has helped. We’re still trying to find a good time to go though. I want to work more on the elliptical but they’ve been full. Hopefully next month it’ll start slowing down.
    I’ve tried jogging on the treadmill. Not great. I need to work on that outside. The weather looks to be mild for awhile so hopefully I can start.
    The snow melt creates fog and so it’s really damp outside which makes me hurt especially my knees. I keep plugging away though.
    Eating habits aren’t good. Not this week anyway. Trying to get back to it. Warmer weather makes me want to eat lighter. The cold weather we had was more hot dish, meat and potatoes weather. My goal is to go into February on a good track.

Have a great weekend!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Hello!!!! Sorry, I have not checked in here in a while. Just busy all of the time. It is so hard going to Kentucky every weekend or every other weekend. Wears me out. That only leaves me one day to do laundry, grocery shop, house clean, and get my run in. Today's run was 10.5 miles (nine miles plus a half of warmup/cooldown) but I only ended up doing 9.5 miles. And I had to do it inside, on the indoor track at the Y. I walked the last mile. Just too tired. But I did run (albeit slowly) the nine (also walked the warmup and cooldown).

My eating is better. I really hope I can stay on track. I've lost a couple of pounds, my sleeping is so much better, and I am sure it is because I have gotten the junk food under control. I am still snacking but more so on fruit or these sugar free oat bites that I like - only one or two of those per day though. Not excessive. I did a body composition assessment at the Y (I think it is called InScan, it is the fifth time I have done it since 2016) and yikes, my body fat is way up. Not good! I need to keep on working on strength training.

Becky, I don't know how you deal with that kind of weather. It snowed here two weeks ago, and we couldn't go to our office for like six days - from Martin Luther King Day we worked from home and we worked from home that whole week and then Monday of this past week because the roads were so awful. School was out all of that time, plus Tuesday last week (MLK was a school holiday so they were out the rest of that week plus two days). We got about seven inches of snow and then we had freezing rain on top of that. It was so cold and it wouldn't melt. Finally did but then we got tons of rain. So now it is cold and rainy. And so windy. I haven't been able to run outside in two weeks. Well, you know, I used to run outside in everything but now I just can't do it. Like today, I can't even stand to be outside to go from the house to my car, and I know it isn't anywhere near as cold here as you get there. It seems like I suffer from this cold problem every winter. My thoughts are that spring is near, and I can do it!!! Just another month or so and it should start warming up around here.

Becky, I am so glad you like the Y! I really love it and wish I had time to do more there. I love the rower and I love the classes but I just can't do too much right now. I really am craving yoga too. I still have my running coach. He is telling me I should try to do a fall half marathon (I am going to do one in April) but with all of the travel to Kentucky, I am just too tired to even think about it!
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Morning!
    We are having Springlike weather and I love it! Aside from the big snow piles, most of our snow is gone. I have a feeling we will see snow again but until then I’m going to enjoy it. The cold really affected me this year too. More than in the past. My inflammation hasn’t been good either. I wish there was something a person could take that was safe. I’m hoping that as time goes on, it gets better. I remember that this time of the year has always been tough on me. I’m pretty sure it has to do with all of our weather changes. If that’s not the case, I’ll make an appt with orthopedics and have things checked out. At least then I’ll know what I’m dealing with. Gloria-way to go on being able to do that distance indoors. I’ve been struggling trying to get 3 let alone 9. I totally understand your weather. Snow and ice are not good combos to getting outdoors.
    How are your in laws doing? My DH and his brothers have talked my MIL to go into assisted living now. She’s been falling and also has dementia. She is in FL so she lives alone with her cat. The neighbors have been looking in on her but that’s getting to be too much now. She needs 24 hr care and I guess this place will provide that for her. Not the cheapest by any means but they have to do what they can. My DH will be heading down there in a couple of weeks. I’d love to go but right now my kids have too many things going on to be able to take care of my dogs. So we’ll go later when things settle down.
    I wish I could run races. It’s been bothering me but I’ve noticed a running coach at the Y just walking on the treadmill. I’m sure he wouldn’t remember me otherwise I’d ask him if he had to give up running. He used to run a lot. He’s also younger. So for now I’ll work on strengthening my muscles and then when I can, I’ll get back down to the lake and see if I can get some running or jogging in. As long as I don’t over do it I should be good.

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend and I hope we get that early Spring!

Take care!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Good Morning!!!! It was almost 70 here yesterday, wow! Not the norm for sure. It won't be as warm today but still good running weather, in the mid 50s.

Becky, I have had this running coach now for over six months and one thing is that he had me start so very slowly and it was almost like starting from zero. I think I actually lost fitness in the process but then he built it all up again, very slowly. I can't say if I will ever get my pace back (I am even slower now than I was just a year ago) but slowly my endurance is coming back. So don't be discouraged, just take it really slow and enjoy the process.

My MIL is doing okay, she now relays on my DH for everything. We have sold the bass boat, the loader (equipment for hauling logs for the business), the shipping container that was at the business property. We are still going every week or two and it is really hard on my running. Like last weekend - I was supposed to run ten miles on Saturday and then run two on Sunday and strength train. But we were in Kentucky helping her all day Saturday so no running on Saturday and then on Sunday I did my long run but was way too exhausted to strength train. I also was trying to get groceries done, do laundry, etc. I feel like I never see my friends anymore. It's a long story but I see us going there every weekend or two for the foreseeable future.

I did my 11 miles yesterday but it was ROUGH. Outside. I had my route all planned but then for some reason I decided to do a different route, and it was quite hilly. I felt like I was running fast but my pace was soooo slow. I was running but it was like a walking pace. I did okay until about mile eight or so, even though it was very slow, but then I just couldn't anymore. I did walk the rest of it. I feel like this training plan is so aggressive, but I am trying to stick to it. Today I need to do three miles and strength train. I think after this race I need to back off a little so I can do other things too, such as hiking.

I have the Hot Chocolate 15k coming up later in February. It is always bad weather for that but I am really hoping that this year it won't be too bad!!!
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Morning!
    We had near 60 degree temps! Now reality is back and we’ve got 30’s which still isn’t too bad. The worst part is the wind. That makes it colder. Except for snow piles from parking lots, etc being plowed, all of our snow is gone. Along with most winter activities in the area. Skiing is still happening thanks to snow machines but I’m not sure how long they’ll be able to keep that up without and snow or cold temps. It looks to be cooler thru next week.

Gloria- it’s too bad your MIL couldn’t move closer to you. My MIL is in FL and my DH is going there next weekend. For now she has agreed to try assisted living. Not sure how long that’s going to last though. It really is hard on the family.

I’ve been trying to slowly increase my exercise. I’m finding if I push too hard on the bike, my new hip starts bothering me. I took a total rest day yesterday which isn’t the best thing for me but I really needed it and it was cold, windy and dreary outside so I didn’t feel like being out anyway. As much exercise as I’ve been doing, my weight should be down but it isn’t. Too much grazing. Now we’re hosting the Super Bowl so there’ll be more food to eat. I plan to send any leftover food home. I’m baking cookies so they’ll take those as I’m trying to rid my house of all sweets.

I ordered myself a new pair of Brooks. I had a brand new pair of Transends but I wore the bottoms down after my hip surgery. I found I would drag my feet. So I’m hoping these new shoes will be better for my knees.

Time to get moving here.

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Morning!

I hope you’re having a great February! For me it feels more like March and sometimes April. We had a couple very cold days but yesterday started our nicer temps again. Unfortunately we have that nasty wind that will make it feel colder than it actually is.
    This week my DH is in FL with his mom. They finally talked her into going into assisted living. So far so good. I’m responsible for all dog walks this week along with making time for the Y. Plus I’m training my DH’s puppy while he’s gone. I’m hoping that if it’s just me, I’ll be able to get her on track. These dogs keep me going for sure but I do miss my lake walks.
    I started weighing and measuring everything last week. I slipped a little this weekend but not bad. I’ll be able to track much better this week seeing as I don’t have to prepare any meals for anyone else.
    I hope everyone is enjoying this nice weather like we are. It really does feel like Spring. Just hope Winter doesn’t come back later.
    Have a wonderful week!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Hey! Quickly stopping by, sorry it has been a while! We've had great temps here, mostly but from time to time, very cold - no snow lately an the cold doesn't last. Sounds like things are working out for you MIL Becky. I don't know what to do about my MIL, I really have to let my DH decide on the right course of action but it has been very hard going all the way there so much - it is five hours round trip.

I sprained my ankle a couple of weeks ago, just going down the stairs at my friends house. I was there to feed his cats while he was away. I didn't fall or anything, just stepped wrong and turned my ankle. It has set my running back a little bit. I have hot chocolate tomorrow and was supposed to run the 15k but have only run about 2.5 miles since this happened, so it looks like I might have to drop to a shorter distance and do intervals. Of course it is supposed to be super cold tomorrow. For some reason, we don't usually get good weather for this race - it will be my ninth or tenth time doing it.
  • basoranno
    Options
    It’s finally March! Feeling more and more like Spring! 70’s today. It looks like we may have had a few sprinkles but the sun is out.

I hope you did alright with your sprained ankle. That really stinks. Taking care of aging parents is tough especially when they aren’t close by. So far my MIL is doing well and even sent out letters to everyone telling them she has moved to an assisted living place. I think it helped that she was able to bring her cat along too. Hopefully your DH will be able to figure something out. Will she go to a retirement place

My exercise has been mostly walking the dogs which I had to walk 3 of them while DH was gone so I did get my steps in. Then getting on the bike at the Y. I’d really like to get into a better routine though. I’ve only been on the elliptical a couple of times. It’s always hit and miss with how busy they’re going to be. Membership should be dropping off a bit now that it’s March. Plus this week is Spring break for students so
    Hopefully the college student went home or wherever and the public school students went on vacation. Anyway, we’ll be there this week.
    I’m getting a better handle on my sugar intake. Still have major cravings though.

I hope everyone is doing well. Keep moving!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Hellooo!!!!!

Becky, I wouldn't have though about the Y and the college students, but yes, I would imagine that makes things really crowded in general! Our Y will be very busy during spring break for the schools (not college) because parents will bring their kids while they work out, plus they have special programs for kids during that time.

I can't believe you are having 70 degree weather, that is pretty amazing for where you are! It's so nice here. Trees and flowers are blooming. It's cloudy today but warm and I should try to go for a short walk before I head to the grocery store. I have strength training to do this evening as well.

I don't know about my MIL yet, she is in good health so the plan for now is to keep her at home, plus, she has no mortgage and so that would be the less expensive way to go, for now. But I am a little worried about her being alone and she has gotten so forgetful. It is very concerning. And there are some other issues too. I would like it if she could go to an independent living facility but I guess for now, we are just going to proceed as normal.

My ankle is still giving me fits with swelling and bruising. It has been three weeks. It is sore. But oddly, I can walk and run on it just fine. Going down stair steps - nope, or putting in certain positions, nope. Like yesterday I wanted to sit cross legged and that did not go well. I've got ankle exercise to do in order to strengthen it and regain mobility and range of motion. My runs right now are run/walk intervals until I can get my ankle stronger. My next race (1/2 marathon) is April 6th. I did eight miles of intervals yesterday and I will be honest, I am just not in good shape right now. Fatigued all of the time and everything hurts. But I will do the race, even if I have to walk it.
  • basoranno
    Options
    Gloria-Do you have people coming in to help her at all? My MIL got forgetful and ended up doubling all of her meds. My BIL also installed cameras in the main part of the house so they could monitor her since she was falling. She loves where she is right now.
    Sorry about your ankle. I’m glad you can still walk and run on it even though that probably isn’t the best thing for it but I’m sure I’d do the same. We’ve had super nice weather. I’m just afraid we’re going to get a snow storm yet. Hopefully not though. My kids are in Nashville right now. They say it is quite expensive. They were going to go to a few different states but ended up staying an extra day there. My DIL needs blood work done so since she already had it done yesterday there, she wanted to have the 2nd blood work done there so it would be consistent. They’ll leave for St Louis afterwards and then home. Kinda odd vacation for young kids.
    Tonight is the Y. I’ll probably just bike. I had a nice walk today and I’ve got my steps in. I’ve tried a little jogging. It feels so weird and my legs are stiff. I’ve got a ways to go. I’ll keep plugging at it.

I hope you’re having a nice week! We could use some rain to wash the salt off of our roads.

Take care!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Hello!!!! Spring is in the air!!! I am ready for it. We have a lot of things blooming and blossoming.

Becky, no, we don't have anyone coming to help my MIL. She won't allow anyone in her house. She needs some help though. And she is getting forgetful too, so that is a worry. And my mom, she had a couple of incidents recently that have me worried to death.

My ankle is doing okay. I am surprised how long it takes for an ankle sprain to heal. I've got PT exercise to do and the PT that I saw a few weeks ago said it was okay to run, and my running coach is much more conservative and will let me run, but no speed work, only slow easy runs, mostly intervals, which is fine at this point.

Nashville is expensive for sure. I am at a point where I would move but where would we go, and we are so well established here with our friends.

I ran yesterday, only five miles, and it was so awful. Just everything hurt, I couldn't breathe, and I was sooooo slow, but it felt like I was going fast. Just horrible. I went home and I was freezing (weather wasn't great, very damp/humid, chilly, and windy) and ended up taking a nap. So today I needed to do another five miles, and after yesterday, I was just dreading it so much. But wow, it went GREAT!!!! I had a really amazing run and felt terrific, pretty decent pace. I was so happy.

Becky, sometimes my legs are stiff (and sometimes painful) when I start out running and I know I look like a goofball, but I just keep going an after a while I loosen up and all is well (but not yesterday when everything was just awful and never did get better).

Have a great week and wishing for rain for those who need it, and no rain for those who don't, and some wonderful spring like weather!!!!!
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Morning!

The weather here has been great for the most part. We need rain but every time it’s in the forecast, it ends up missing us. We could use a nice steady rain to wash away all of the salt. We are expecting a cool down for a couple of days. Hard to know if you should throw on a winter jacket, light jacket, sweatshirt or no jacket at all these days. Flowers are also blooming here.

Thursday I woke up with a stomach ache that I blamed on the slice of pizza I ate the night before but I was also super achy. Not sure if it was my inflammation or what but usually if I get out and exercise, it gets better. Well, it didn’t. Everything just hurt. Plus I still wasn’t feeling great yesterday. I’m thinking I may have had a 24 hr bug or something. Feeling good today and our dog walk was good. It’s funny how I’m stiffer and more sore when I don’t exercise than when I do.

Gloria-It’s a tough call with parents. They are so stubborn. I hope I don’t get that way but chances are I will. It’s hard to lose your independence. It’s harder when they’re not close by.
    I’m glad you’re able to continue to run. I’ve always heard that sprains are worse than breaks. They take so long to heal.

Walk is done. Breakfast done. Time to get my errands done and then we’re headed to
    The local brewery for awhile.

Have a wonderful weekend!
  • basoranno
    Options
    Happy 1st of April! We’ve got snow today mixed with rain. No snow accumulations though. Huge snowflakes.
    I hope everyone’s Easter was nice. Ours was but again I over ate. Sugar is not my friend! I’m having such a hard time breaking this habit. I can do so well and then just like that I blow it. I’m frustrated to say the least. I’m going to be heading to the Y soon so I can burn off a little bit. Not enough but hopefully it’ll snap me back into my healthy eating.
    I’ve been having knee pain. That is also frustrating me. I see my Dr in a couple weeks so I’m going to have a discussion with him about what I can do. I know it’s a bad time of the year for me. My aches are bad.
    Time to get moving. Just thought I’d stop in for a bit.

Have a nice week!
  • letsgoplay1
    letsgoplay1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Loooong time no check in!

Windy and cold here- and I signed up for a half in June and my DD is getting married same day- her wedding is at 4 pm. My race at 6:30 so actually that should be fine. My problem has been wimping out and doing indoor biking workouts- but that has been ok too as the bone spur I got way back sometimes flares up- so anyhow I am rechecking in here on myfitnesspal and I need to lose some pounds to help out my body.

Hope you are all doing great!
    I remember Gloria and Becky+ will try this time to check in!!!-more! :)
  • basoranno
    Options
    Good Morning!

I hope everyone is doing well. Aside from the rain we’ve had the last few days, it’s felt like Spring again. Yard work done last weekend. Leaves are coming out on the trees now. Grass is green and flowers are coming up. Greenhouses are starting to open up. It feels really good!

Aside from last week, I’ve been getting to the Y. Walking and when I get on the treadmill, I do a walk jog. I so want to run again. We’ll see what happens. My knees have to start cooperating with me.

How is everyone’s running going? I hope you are able to get out. Not sure what everyone’s weather is like. It won’t be long and it’ll be hot again!

Hope you’re having a great week!
  • gloriawrightcook
    Options
    Good Morning! I have been AWOL for a while. Seriously, life had gotten so crazy busy and I was so exhausted and not feeling well at all - just trying to do too much. I think that things are calming down a bit - I hope so. It was the kind of exhaustion where I couldn't even sleep, so it was just a never ending cycle.

Over the past few weeks we have traveled to Gatlinburg twice, and of course we are still visiting my mother-in-law very frequently. I had my race on August 6th, it was dreadful. On the days leading up to it, I was just miserable, not sleeping, pain everywhere. I don't know if I was having a arthritis flare up or what. The rheumatologist gave me some muscle relaxers to help me relax and sleep, but nope, that just made me even more awake! Crazy. So the race, I did run some but ended up walking most of it. It's a hard course, so my PR for the course is 2.34, but it took me 3:30 to do it this time with all of that walking. My ankle is still bothering me a little but I have PT exercises for it that I do a few times a week. After the race I took a week off from all exercise, except for some yoga. I am going to try to keep up with yoga at least once a week. More would be better but between strength training and running, just don't know how to fit that in. For now I am going to stick with shorter distances. I am doing a five mile race next weekend but will probably walk a lot because basically it is a big hill.

It was so hot here - mid to high 80s, but it is back to normal and even below normal - it's hard to adjust to the extremes when running!