Chat room - what's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have a question for you, or rather I invite you to a little brainstorming :)

I got a nutrition plan this week, and I'm still getting the hang of it. It's for the next 3 months.
    It's an ovo-vegetarian plan, but I don't intend to eat eggs every day.

So I'm looking for nutritional equivalents of 1 egg and 2 eggs (for evening and lunch respectively). How much would that be in raw/cooked legumes? falafels?

Of course, I can also ask the nutritionist, but I'd like to come up with suggestions I like and simply let him confirm.

I've already confirmed with him that I could replace 10-20g of oil with 70g of hummus. I'll also ask about replacing 10-20g of oil with half an avocado.
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,498 Member
    Options
    @Maya440 - from the database, a large egg is 70 calories and provides 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of fat. I've been trying to find ways to regularly adding more protein without adding a ton of calories (I'm ovo-lacto veg). The easiest for me is a non-fat greek yogurt. I eat Fage 0% greek yourt (170 grams) which is 90 calories, 18 grams of protein and 0 fat. For lunch, sometimes I'll cook up a batch of green or brown lentils and put over a salad or other vegetables. !50 g serving of lentils is a modest 7 grams of protein, but has the added benefit of 8 grams of fiber.

It's like playing tetris to get all the macros aligned every day!
  • Maya440
    Options
    Lunch and diners already include 200g of yogurt or 60g of cheese or 60g of nuts.

But the 50g of lentils certainly fit.
    I did a Fork over knives receipt for lentils sloppy Joe this week as a replacement.

I may do a batch of this every week. But I need other alternatives to avoid getting bored 😅
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,204 Member
    Options
    Happy Spring!

In the Northern Hemisphere at least.

I'm taking advantage of the last of the decent weather days to have a little Hanami in the front yard. It's a Japanese tradition. When the Sakura trees are just before peak blossom, you just sit underneath them and enjoy. Maybe have a little picnic. I busted out my special sake cups and toasted the coming of spring.

stdpukekpmwy.jpg.
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Curvykinkycurls Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input @Maya440 and @enlightenme3 - I've not really any experience to go by yet with IF but liked the idea on IG @fiftysister account (shes also vegan) stopping eating at 2pm. There are a number of reasons it should work better in my lifestyle. Day 2 and all is good, no hunger pangs and am conscious of fitting in all my calories and macros in two meals. I guess time will tell if its sustainable, or whether 7 days a week is too ambitious!

Good luck with working out your new nutritional plan Maya! Good idea to find out your preferred food-swaps in advance, he will know you've done your homework!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,101 Member
    edited March 20
    Options
    @Maya440 - from the database, a large egg is 70 calories and provides 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of fat. I've been trying to find ways to regularly adding more protein without adding a ton of calories (I'm ovo-lacto veg). The easiest for me is a non-fat greek yogurt. I eat Fage 0% greek yourt (170 grams) which is 90 calories, 18 grams of protein and 0 fat. For lunch, sometimes I'll cook up a batch of green or brown lentils and put over a salad or other vegetables. !50 g serving of lentils is a modest 7 grams of protein, but has the added benefit of 8 grams of fiber.

It's like playing tetris to get all the macros aligned every day!

Probably you eat things like this already, and some may be too processed for your tastes, but these are some protein contributors for me (at the risk of being obvious ;) ):

Lowfat cottage cheese, 13g protein per 110g for 80 calories.
    Tempeh, 7.2g protein per 34g for 64 calories.
    Firm tofu, 5.3g protein per 50g for 53 calories.
    Nutritional yeast, 6.8g protein per 15g for 60 calories.
    Peanut butter powder, 7g protein per 16g for 60 calories.
    Red lentil pasta, 6.2g protein per 25g (dry weight) for 84 calories.
    Seitan, 7.5g protein per 25g for 44 calories.

Based on the brands I eat regularly, assuming I did the arithmetic correctly :D , details may differ for other brands. Obviously, some of those are EAA-complete and others aren't.

I figure close on average over a small number of days is plenty good enough for macros - a little over one day, a little under the next, NBD to me. There's only so much exactitude I have the patience for, and I figure humans are adaptive eaters by natural selection.

Have you checked out the protein thread in the Food & Nutrition Most Helpful Posts (stickies)? We have to scroll past the mostly meaty/fishy things near the top of the linked spreadsheet, but there are plant foods in there.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,204 Member
    Options
    Well... At the grocery today, the bulk department had green split peas on sale. I didn't really need any yet, but....

I will be making a few more batches of what apparently has now become my favorite soup. Sorry black bean - we'll get to know each other again soon.
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 801 Member
    edited March 21
    Options
    @Curvykinkycurls so sorry for your loss and glad you found your way back! <3

@AnnPT77 I agree with the point that we're adaptive eaters. We don't need to get every nutrient perfect every day...I struggle with getting 100% Vitamin A every day, but one sweet potato every few days and all is fine.

@Maya440 some more ideas (as much for you as for myself, since I fell a bit short today)
    1. I do like my miso-marinated tempeh (fried) and will probably start a batch tonight.
    2. tofu has many possible options, including baked tofu: https://ohmyveggies.com/recipe-baked-italian-herb-tofu-how-to-press-tofu/
    3. black bean soup or spicy black beans (I just made a tasty recipe from Shalane Flanagan's Run Fast eat Slow)
    4. Lentil salad is nice (researching recipes to make one soon)
    5. unsweetened soy milk sometimes puts me into the range I want to be in together with my morning oats.
    6. Peanut butter (or the powder, if you want to go low cal, but I just go for peanut butter).
    7. Chickpeas (you can make crispy chickpeas), or a chickpea salad.
    8. I think you're already eating peas...
    9. Edamame (nice in salads, or even use to make hummus)
    10. Almonds (edit: just saw the 60g of nuts! Love it!)
  • Maya440
    edited March 21
    Options
    Red lentil pasta and edamame I had not thought of!
    Excellent 🙏

Tonight I am going to an Italian restaurant with family so it will be difficult to follow the plan. I have spotted a pasta al a Norma on the menu (with tomatoes and aubergine) and I will take this. It will include the oil for sure and I can add a bit of Parmesan. I will miss the 1 egg equivalent and I am not sure there will be enough veggies but this will do. I eat plenty of veggies otherwise.

Maybe I can have some raw cherry tomatoes and a cup of edamame on the way 🧐
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,101 Member
    Options
    @maya440, you're going through a lot right now, yikes!

I understand that it's tough when one can't exercise in the usual ways (I've had a few injuries/surgeries along the way myself). But one rare day is pretty much a drop in the ocean, when it comes to weight management. You're back on track now, giving your body the nutrition (and calories!) it needs to heal.

Hang in there!
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Options
    Oh @Maya440 sending you a hug!! That's a lot to deal with and your body is obviously still in recovery. Be gentle with yourself, don't worry about having the odd day off the nutritional plan...You have great direction from the nutritionist and a strong reason to train, so as soon as your leg has healed, I'm sure you will make huge progress!
  • henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    @Maya440 Sending hugs 🫂 …do you have a gym membership? You could do upper body/core exercises. There’s also the hand bike!
  • chelseynikole9618
    chelseynikole9618 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey @Maya440 remember that rest and recovery are so important and you are doing amazing things by taking care of yourself. Sending you lots of healing! I had a pretty similar past year in regards to illness and injury, the most important thing is to give yourself grace and find time to pour lots of love and TLC into yourself.

I just started playing basketball ball again, casually, with my partner post fracturing my ankle/foot last spring. I’m so happy to be back on the court but I’m limping a bit for a day or two after. So I’ve just been going 2x a week. It’s okay to take it slow, that’s what I keep telling myself :)
  • Maya440
    Options
    Oh thank you all.

I am still resting. Finally accepting that I can't do anything with my legs until Wednesday when the stiches will be removed. I also injured my knee apparently. I don't know how it is going to evolve.

I am still not at a good place emotionally. Mostly sad and frustrated.
    I try to remember that life is 50/50. It will be better.

I am gonna look for a youtube video on fitness for upper body. And maybe I will dance a little bit. Music could help me.
  • enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,498 Member
    Options
    Maya440 wrote: »
    Oh thank you all.

I am still resting. Finally accepting that I can't do anything with my legs until Wednesday when the stiches will be removed. I also injured my knee apparently. I don't know how it is going to evolve.

I am still not at a good place emotionally. Mostly sad and frustrated.
    I try to remember that life is 50/50. It will be better.

I am gonna look for a youtube video on fitness for upper body. And maybe I will dance a little bit. Music could help me.

@Maya440 - I'm feeling for you. If you can stand, there are some all standing yoga videos out there. When I haven't been able to do my Jazzercise because of my plantar fascitis, I finally turned to yoga (as well as the upper body/core exercises) for my feet. It's definitely not a cardio workout, but at least I felt I was doing something.
  • chelseynikole9618
    chelseynikole9618 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I’ve been at this 33 days in a row now. 33 days of consistently tracking, of walking and moving my body, of being mindful of my health, & I finally see this as a lifestyle change for a lifetime.

Just wanted to say thanks to this group for welcoming me! Grateful to be here <3
  • Maya440
    edited March 25
    Options
    Hey @chelseynikole9618 good job, you rock !

Yes moving my body is doing me good.
    I am better today, emotionally. My knee is still swollen but far less than yesterday. I am starting to believe I can be ok in 2 or 3 days. I have a 5 days trip planned with friends as from Wednesday. I have not yet cancelled. Maybe I will be able to participate (it is a hiking trip but not too difficult because 2 of the participants are not doing sport on a regular way so it is kind of a beginner's hike - maybe exactly what I need).

The sun is shining today and my friends are biking. So it is not that easy to keep smiling but ok, I can live with this. I remind myself that the accident could have been far worse.

• Maya440
    Options
    And you what are your objectives and plans for this week ?
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Options
    Excellent tracking @chelseynikole9618 its great when you're in the right headspace & make time to commit to this. I look back on my years on mfp and know I make better choices when I'm focusing on trying. I track 'off' days too, its helpful to remind me why I might not be where I thought I should be!!

@Maya440 hope the inflammation is getting better each day - are you going ahead with the trip tomorrow?

I've had a full day gardening today, but after all the rain we've had, the ground is still sodden so I wore wellies all day and unfortunately it's made my achilles tendonitis flare up - I'm so annoyed with myself, it was doing so well - hopefully it won't take as long to sort out. Gardening always seems to break me in Spring!!

Intermittent fasting last week was great. No hunger, but then that piece of news broke that it was linked to heart complications and so I decided to err on the side of caution whilst I research more.