Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,637 Member
    Options
    I'm at the airport now heading home from Newfoundland… I've had lots of delicious home baked white bread the past few days!

My housemate has texted me that he's lost 20 pounds… I'm happy to be going to a home where somebody else is cutting out bread and trying to eat well!!!

• lauriekallis
    Options
    Those strawberries look divine, Dante
  • Creamtea42
    Creamtea42 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Today was chemo day case & forgot healthy smoked salad, cream cheese, rocket, lemon slice and home made seed crackers.
    Had hospital rye tuna mayonaise offered instead!
    Best laid plans… out of window!
    Ne’er mind can have salmon for lunch tomorrow.

Minimal effort over next few days, so left over beef soup & shepherd’s pies are the order of suppers tomorrow & Thursday 🥴🙄🙂
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    edited April 9
    Options
    I truly can't say that the "hospital rye tuna mayo" sounds divine and for more than one reason!

I boo boo'ed and during my quest for various types of granola bars at Costco, and slipped up and ended up with a huge bag of dry quinoa. Grains. Uncooked. Dry. :open_mouth:

Can't say that the stuff is lo-cal.. that's for sure. Concentrated little bundles of energy they are.

Anyway. 210g of dry quinoa cooked with in water with 14g of no sodium chicken stock for flavour and mixed in with 770g of frozen italian veggies come to just about 1,085Cal for the pot!

But enough for more than one meal for most I would say! :wink:

So hopefully that will leave enough room for some of the chewy caramel granola bars and soft-baked oatmeal bars that jumped into the cart which all run at about 140-150 Cal each.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    A little cooking tip on dry quinoa - rinse the quinoa well before adding to the cooking liquid. Sometimes dry quinoa has a sandy, gritty texture after cooking. Don’t know if that’s the way it’s supposed to be or it’s field residue. But I prefer not chewing sand with my grains.
  • PAV8888
    edited April 9
    Options
    Pre washed no need to rinse says Kirkland!!!!!🤣

And apparently it's a seed! Not a grain! No wonder calories! :lol:

(A bit less water next time :wink: -- the veggies added extra: the Italian mix sheds more than the Normandy mix for example)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Grain or seed - I confess quinoa is not a favorite. Hubby loves the stuff though but he needs the calories.
  • Creamtea42
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I truly can't say that the "hospital rye tuna mayo" sounds divine and for more than one reason!
    /quote]
    You got that right ….. should have put the word rye into quotation marks! Bread was of a dark wholemealvtype & not the freshest —- was very dry!
    Your quinoa & Italian veg sounded filling & very healthy,,,

My menu plans feel too red meaty this week …. Need revising with some veggie dishes!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I miss good bread! I’ve learned not to compromise and eat mediocre carbs.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    bleah! how did I use to do it back in the day? Was that why I switched to vanilla cashew "milk"?

But I did get a "6 pack" of kirlkland almond milk cartons so it WILL BE MADE to work!

so far the 90g of real milk + 410g of almond milk + 42.5g jello instant pudding.... resulted in: "this is NOT A PUDDING my little pudding"!

Runny almond shake was RESCUED(ish) by adding 160g of greek yogurt)... texture was almost good.
    And taste was good. But the whole thing could have been better mixed overall (and I was using chocolate which is the hardest to mix) but my paws were seizing up from the whisking so I stopped.

It wasn't terrible (after the rescue). Just not extremely good. Possibly if the almond milk was cold instead of room temp the whole thing would have been better? (it didn't get a chance to spend 10 minutes in the fridge either....)

The trials and tribulations will continue!

I note that the quinoa is... mixed mixed mixed. Tastes fine. But soooo light. The veggies definitely help provide some gravitas and gravity and something in yer tummy honey. But yeah. Can't say that this seed is ready to be filed under the "filling for the calories" category... I think potatoes would be ahead of the game for example...
  • Creamtea42
    Options
    Erythrotol - vaguely remember the stuff about that …. Erm not for me!
    Persisting with the porridge me thinks - as was filling! Maybe some berries will help …
    Shake here too today - cold ice cubed coffee, yoghurt, blueberries, flax seeds & needed bit of water to loosen gloopy texture a bit!
    Was lovely for 250 kals and 17g carbs!
    Hungry though & not lunchtime yet!
  • Creamtea42
    edited April 12
    Options
    Fish Supper tonight - cod loin found loitering in freezer - parmesan pesto crust - pesto using foraged wild garlic, with samphire (not tried this before) carrot & parsnip “chips” Even though not potato chips - was lovely!
    Bought a Jerusalem artichoke - again, in the spirit of trying something new - have no idea what to do with it yet! 🥴😉
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Sounds very adventurous
    Glad you're feeling up to all the experimenting!
  • Creamtea42
    Options
    Sunday Roast - OH’s Tarragon & Lemon Chicken with roast parsnips & carrots, beans & kale with gravy. Lots of leftovers to feed us well into next week & bones boiling for stock store!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Dinner is loaded baked potatoes (sour cream, cheese, bacon, and steamed broccoli).

Other meals this week are Hibach bowls (chicken, mushroom, zucchini, onions, and rice) and Asian noodles with shrimp and veggies.

Lunches will be salads.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I do like a good baked potato 🥔. But I can’t do sour cream, cheese and bacon 🥓 with it. Partly because my calorie allowance is so low. And then there’s the heartburn…..
  • PAV8888
    edited April 15
    Options
    I'm a sad "eat out" puppy today!

Breakfast was quarter lb burger no cheese no mayo add mustard served with fruit and a side order of two soft poached eggs.

Early dinner was a Costco beef hot dog with mustard and onions... and later dinner was 775Cal worth of 'white chocolate covered freeze dried strawberries' (155g worth of them!)

.... ok... choices could have been better! POSSIBLY

(but we don't discuss in polite company) that there might have been a late lunch of "officially 320" but logged as 400 Cal due to apparent size of dairy queen vanilla cone--the kiosk attacked me in the mall!

So all around sitting at about 2500 with the ~150 Cal pack of rice crackers I snarfed while driving.

I think I need supervision when I'm let out of the house :blush:

I'm putting forth that... sad pieces of lettuce, nice mandarin, grapes and slivers of pomelo and freeze dried strawberries covered in white chocolate are bunnies... in a questionable bunny world.

My nice veggies and boiled potatoes are waiting in the fridge!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Nah- you knew what you were doing and keeping track of calories (poor as they were). By the way PAV, do you work at Costco or just spend an inordinate amount of time there?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    I do like a good baked potato 🥔. But I can’t do sour cream, cheese and bacon 🥓 with it. Partly because my calorie allowance is so low. And then there’s the heartburn…..

As long as I measure everything out, I can keep it within my dinner range calorie wise. But I have to be careful because I WILL over do it on sour cream and cheese. Adding the broccoli helps because it's low calorie and filling.

Plus, a baked potato is SO filling to me that I don't want to snack at night.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Potatoes work the same way for me, Athijade. I just have to be careful when topping - but I'm happy with the flavour of cautious topping so it is a win win.

You'll be home soon, PAV. And - really - it seems to be you have done well today - I second Yooly on that.