Daily Chat Thread

Options

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Hmmmph. Not happy. I've been having some pain in my left shoulder, like an electric shock, randomly for the last few weeks. I put it down to poor posture when I am at my workstation. But then I tracked it.

It's the day after deadlifts, and into the second day after. I'm stretching well, but this doesn't even feel like muscle pain. I'm puzzled and pissed. It hits hard and quick; sharp enough to make me cringe and vocalize. I'm thinking nerve? But what to do about it??

Thoughts? Suggestions? Rude remarks?

Would you consider going to a chiropractor? I know a lot of people that are against them. I used to have a spot on my back close to my right shoulder blade that would sometimes give me trouble after I did bent rows. I would get a pinched nerve there and have difficulty turning. I knew my form was fine and it wasn't that I was lifting too much. It didn't happen all the time so I just put up with it for years. I actually ended up going to a chiropractor because my neck locked up and the shoulder ended up getting straightened out as part of the process. I haven't had a problem with that spot in well over a year, maybe two.

Otherwise, maybe have someone help you do a form check?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Martin Berkhan - "
    If you're adding 2-3 sessions of HIIT to your 3 sessions of weights, it is almost comparable to adding 2-3 days of weights. Keyword is "almost", I'm obviously not drawing direct comparisons. That's all fine and dandy if you think working out 5-6 days/week is a good idea on a diet. But I don't think anyone - no matter what level of experience - needs more than 3 days a week in the gym when cutting. (Yes, this goes for competitors and beginners alike.)
    In conclusion, if conditioning is not terribly important for you, if your goal is really about getting shredded while keeping your muscle, I highly suggest limiting moderate to high intensity cardio on a diet - or ditch it completely. Save it for some other time when your recovery is good and not limited by your diet. A calorie deficit is a recovery deficit. Avoid deficit spending."

umm.. i dont even know what to say to this :sad: the thing is, i actually LIKE working out (yeah i know that's probably hard to believe since i'm about 70 lbs over weight :laugh: ) but honestly the only reason why i'm not 140 lbs over weight is because i always worked out, even on the weeks when i felt like i was slacking and never working out, i was averaging 3 days a week. so i can't compute only going to the gym 3 days a week on purpose...

@jarrettd : 100# on steps ups? great job!!!! also when do you notice your shoulder pain? could it be rotator cuff?
  • oceanity
    oceanity Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Barefoot......nice new profile pic!!!!!

So I started the program at stage 1......and am feeling the step ups!!! I gave it some thought and realized that since i had spent almost 4 months in the first 3 stages (more time in stage 1 since I was and entire newbie to weights...) but struggled with binge, emotional and over eating, that I would start fresh. I am a little sad, but I feel good in the way that I will see results!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I'm worried; I bought a barbell set, but it isn't an olympic bar (I didn't know I would need olympic). Will my weights get too much? At the moment I'm loading 35kg (about 776lbs) onto the bar for the deadlifts in Stage 1, but hopefully this will increase! I simply can't afford to buy anything else.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm worried; I bought a barbell set, but it isn't an olympic bar (I didn't know I would need olympic). Will my weights get too much? At the moment I'm loading 35kg (about 776lbs) onto the bar for the deadlifts in Stage 1, but hopefully this will increase! I simply can't afford to buy anything else.

I know what you mean maggie, I think I have the same set.
    I think they can take max 50kg, then we're stuck. Might have to get creative with rocks and back packs!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options

I know what you mean maggie, I think I have the same set.
    I think they can take max 50kg, then we're stuck. Might have to get creative with rocks and back packs!

Heh heh! Or maybe I could lift partner who will be holding the bar at the time! Then maybe the car ...

Or I could give in and join a gym.
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options

So I started the program at stage 1......and am feeling the step ups!!! I gave it some thought and realized that since i had spent almost 4 months in the first 3 stages (more time in stage 1 since I was and entire newbie to weights...) but struggled with binge, emotional and over eating, that I would start fresh. I am a little sad, but I feel good in the way that I will see results!
    oceanity I have the exact same problem with the food :frown:
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hmmmph. Not happy. I've been having some pain in my left shoulder, like an electric shock, randomly for the last few weeks. I put it down to poor posture when I am at my workstation. But then I tracked it.

It's the day after deadlifts, and into the second day after. I'm stretching well, but this doesn't even feel like muscle pain. I'm puzzled and pissed. It hits hard and quick; sharp enough to make me cringe and vocalize. I'm thinking nerve? But what to do about it??

Could be shoulder inpingement which is inflammation of any one of the rotator cuff tendons. I suffer with bicep tendonitis which causes the pain in my shoulder. It swells and gets inpinged under the acrominon bone in the shoulder. I have regular treatments on this but it does affect certain lifts in the programme. This injury comes on very, very gradually and then one day its just there. :grumble:
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I have been so terrible at keeping up with this... I love hanging around these threads, but I have been so busy at work lately I havent had much time here!

Welcome to all the newbies!! Sounds like you are all off to a great start with this program!! :flowerforyou:

I have had a few set backs with Stage 2 (mostly my schedule getting messed up) but I am looking forward to lifting today! I'll be doing Stage 2 - 4A so I am just about ready to move on to Stage 3! Honestly, I dont think I will miss Stage 2 all that much... haha

Hopefully Ill be able to check in a little more often than I have been... but continue lifting heavy ladies! you are all a huge source of motivation for me!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I think I am having carpal tunnel issues and I am not happy. My wrist kind of burns and my hand is bordering numb and pins and needles. This can't be good. I am going to the store to get a wrist brace to hopefully stop this from progressing. I fear that I will have to stop lifting for a while. I hope not, I am finally about to squat heavier than I have before. Anyone else have issues like this?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,961 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty normal, when moving into strength-training, for all SORTS of "twinges", "aches" and "pains" to rear their ugly heads!! Even moving through the programs, certain muscles that may NEVER had to have really "worked", in your past fitness life, start WORKING, GROWING, HURTING!

Obviously, for any REAL pains, you need to see a doctor or a physiotherapist and have injuries attended to.

I felt, particularly moving through stage 1, that ANY of my "weak" spots were PARTICULARLY amplified....and those weak spots HAD to catch up, and strengthen, even if it meant that my stronger spots had to be patient and WAIT.

Starting stage 3, I've COMPLETELY over-worked my quads (or, more likely, my IT bands), already. I am taking an EXTRA day (already!) to let them rest. But, this is a GOOD THING. I am now recognizing that OVER-TRAINING is as big a problem as UNDER-TRAINING and I just keep repeating the mantra, "...it's a marathon, not a sprint...it's a marathon, not a sprint..."

Be good to yourself and don't be afraid to seek out the help you need to get to the goals you have set for yourself.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,961 Member
    Options
    I saw the 100 lbs on the step-ups, too and thought, "whaaaaaa???"

Is your step bench 18 - 20"?? If not, I don't think it's high enough (unless you are REALLY short, at which point, perhaps a 14" - 16" bench is sufficient).

I'm trying to figure out how you even hoist 2 x 50 lb. dumbbells into the air!!

Good for you!!
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am now recognizing that OVER-TRAINING is as big a problem as UNDER-TRAINING and I just keep repeating the mantra, "...it's a marathon, not a sprint...it's a marathon, not a sprint..."

Be good to yourself and don't be afraid to seek out the help you need to get to the goals you have set for yourself.

I think this is the tough spot for me. I second-guess my desires to rest or take things easy because I know my tendency is to take time off and not return to my routine at all. I took a rest day yesterday for the first time in three weeks because I was worried about over-training. I'm planning to return to the gym tonight, but I'm already having, "Maybe just one more rest day..." creep into my thoughts as well as, "Now I need to work out twice as hard since I took time off!" thoughts as well, which is not great either. So, now I'm regretting having taken a rest day. Sometimes even just going to the gym and taking a slow walk on the treadmill is enough to "rest" but not feel like I'm taking days off, y'know? You can see my crazy thinking on this. I definitely have a tendency towards both under or over-training, trying to find that positive, healthy middle ground!! :-)
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

Thanks!! Abs are coming along, but I have a ways to go on my arms, back and legs. I know it is the emotional/binge eating that is the real issue, and that's where my focus is now. Well, that and lifting heavy! ;-D
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options

I think you should see a doc.
  • deninevi
    Options

Thanks!! Abs are coming along, but I have a ways to go on my arms, back and legs. I know it is the emotional/binge eating that is the real issue, and that's where my focus is now. Well, that and lifting heavy! ;-D

Great pic!
  • deninevi
    Options
    I think I am having carpal tunnel issues and I am not happy. My wrist kind of burns and my hand is bordering numb and pins and needles. This can't be good. I am going to the store to get a wrist brace to hopefully stop this from progressing. I fear that I will have to stop lifting for a while. I hope not, I am finally about to squat heavier than I have before. Anyone else have issues like this?

You should see a doc. Hope they clear you out and you can keep rocking your new program!
  • deninevi
    Options
    I saw the 100 lbs on the step-ups, too and thought, "whaaaaaa???"

Is your step bench 18 - 20"?? If not, I don't think it's high enough (unless you are REALLY short, at which point, perhaps a 14" - 16" bench is sufficient).

I'm trying to figure out how you even hoist 2 x 50 lb. dumbbells into the air!!

Good for you!!

If you are at the heavy weights for the step up, you should start using the bar. Much easier than dbs.

100 lbs. on step ups-WOW! You are my hero!
  • deninevi
    Options
    Hey all! I'm new :) I plan on starting tomorrow, but it will be very light. I might even have to modify many of the abdominal exercises. I had a tummy tuck with muscle repair 6 weeks ago and just have been cleared to start weights. I was in pretty good shape before going into surgery so I have bounced quickly back into running, hoping it's the same for strength!

I tried a push-up today and it was uncomfortable in my abs, so I will start on my knees. My problem is, I could probably do 30 on my knees before my arms are tired...should I do 30 instead of 15 because of this?

Also, it's still spring racing season so I plan on running a bit, actually I won't give up running since I'll start training for a half marathon in late June. Should I run after lifting, or do it on off days? I only plan on running two days a week, one will be intervals, the other will be slow and steady.
    welcome! Have you tried to do push ups with hands on a bench or something? I don't know if that will help. I would run on off days and good luck with training for the half marathon!
  • deninevi
    Options
    Now that I flooded the thread, I can go on with my day:)