Stage 1

Options

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Love, LOVE my new trainer! He put me through a hard workout tonight--his own to start--but he took my NROL4W book home with him so that we can work the program starting Saturday.He likes lifting heavy and he's encouraging me to do so. This is going to work out just fine, I do believe.
    So glad you found someone to work with!! Best of luck in your new partnership :)
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Stage 1, Workout 6B just finished and I am completely done in. I also seem to have stalled, in that I was totally unable to increase weights at all. Maybe a tiny little but of room for manouvre in one or two things, but certainly not in others. I'm wondering if I need to increase my food intake, given that I've tried to stick to the maintenance level this week, and have simultaneously felt exhausted. I was going way over previously, and didn't actually put any weight on at all. I think i've just talked myself into it, but any views? I should add that I mean the NROL4W maintenance level, not MFP which is much too low for me.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I just did my first of the AMRAP workouts. I had to stop before I reached failure as far as my muscles go because I just couldn't breathe.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    So I've finished my first week and I'm loving it so far, but I'm curious about something. I'm finding that after workout A I'm having a lot of tightness in my hips and a sort of dull ache, the best way I can describe the ache is like a growing pain when you were a teen. I had it in my left hip after 1A and my right hip after 2A. Anyone else experience this, should I be concerned and do you know how to relieve this? I believe this would be the area around my hip flexor and I'm finding it rather difficult to stretch. It doesn't last for terribly long (a day, a few hours) but it is very uncomfortable. Thanks!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm eating through weights for every exercise but step ups. for the seated row i'm going to have to switch to bent upright rites because the cable machine only goes up to 190# and i'm already at 180.

@ ellie are you stretching and getting massage or at least foam rolling frequently? i find that helps alot, especially the foam rolling. it can be very painful but it's worth it
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I've been reading through this group for a couple weeks now while I figured out when I was actually going to start the program.

I finished the book a couple weeks ago but just wasnt finding the time to fit in a weight training workout until tonight.

I did Workout A of Stage one and although I dont feel tired or sore, my arms and shoulders definitely feel rubbery. And I got a rug burn on one of my knees because I collapsed on the floor while trying to get through my 2nd set of prone jackknife. That is HARD!!!

Anyways, I'm glad I'm officially a "lifter" now that I've been able to start. I'm really looking forward to getting into the workouts and buildin those big huge manly muscles! :tongue: :wink:

I appreciate those of you that have been through the first stage coming back and giving advice and suggestions to the newbies, support systems are necessary for success in weight loss and lifestyle changes taht we are going through. Thank you!
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    i'm eating through weights for every exercise but step ups. for the seated row i'm going to have to switch to bent upright rites because the cable machine only goes up to 190# and i'm already at 180.

@ ellie are you stretching and getting massage or at least foam rolling frequently? i find that helps alot, especially the foam rolling. it can be very painful but it's worth it

I've never tried the foam rolling but keep hearing things about it, I'll have to look into that. thanks!
  • Hannekve
    Hannekve Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just got back from the gym, today was 3B. I was able to deadlift 100lb, and it felt great!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I just got back from the gym, today was 3B. I was able to deadlift 100lb, and it felt great!

Wow! 100lbs and you're only on workout 3 - that's so good!
  • Hannekve
    Hannekve Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Wow! 100lbs and you're only on workout 3 - that's so good!
    Thanks :) I've lifted a little bit before, but I think it's been 2 years since my last deadlift. I never got comfortable with it before, so I ended up switching back to Zumba and using the weight machines.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Oh man I'm sore today. That first AMRAP workout has kicked my bum!! It's like starting the first stage all over again.

I think I might have to take two weeks off before I start stage 2 because my work hours are just about to go insane.
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Second workout with Cleveland (my new trainer) this morning.

We used some of the NROL4W exercises--but still not back on the Stage one--but for a very good reason.

He is reading the entire book. He told me this morning that if this is what I want to do, then he owes it to me to read the whole book, not just give it a cursory look see. He also promised to have me in a bathing suit in 90 days.

Then he proceeded to kick my butt for 40 minutes. That's the first workout with a trainer in which I went through an entire two liter bottle of water and sweated out enough liquid to match.

Now, I've kicked my shoes off and I'm drinking my post workout shake, feeling for the first time, that paying for a trainer is going to be worth the money.
  • samntha14
    Options
    Sounds like you just may be on the right track Kelekat! Good luck with the new trainer he sounds like exactly what you need.

I really hate the B workouts. My hands are killing me. I am here crying uncle. I'm getting gloves tomorrow. Didn't increase weight to much deadlift from 80-90, lat from 70-75, but man is my body screaming.
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You've gotta have gloves....

And I'm sore today in muscles that I forgot existed! :bigsmile:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I left my book at the gym today! Luckily they found it and are holding it for me.

I think I did workout 5A (whatever the 9th workout is as I don't have the book in front of me) and I fell off the swiss ball for the first time, twice.

I'm considering changing gyms. I belong to Planet Fitness and the only barbells they have are Smith Machines and they're invariably in use by someone large.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    workout 5b done and i really need to increase my dead weight. maybe by 30#

deads: 110 , 125
    shoulder press left: 30,25 right 22.5, 25
    wide lat : 112.5, 120
    lunges : 22.5, 25
    swiss ball crunch 25

i tried a set of lunges barefoot and i had so much better balance. i'm definitely ordering a pair of those barefoot trainers

i ended my workout with 15 minutes if sprint hiit. legs were jello by the end
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Workout A7 and I upped all my weights. :explode: it was a tough one. I could not find the energy for HIIT at the end. I'll have to get that done tomorrow. The only exercise I was not "at max" for was the squat, I am going to increase again before I finish. It felt so good to push those 8 reps just as hard as I could!

I ate a huge supper and have a feeling that it's going to be early to bed tonight.

Nancy
  • samntha14
    Options
    workout 5b done and i really need to increase my dead weight. maybe by 30#

deads: 110 , 125
    shoulder press left: 30,25 right 22.5, 25
    wide lat : 112.5, 120
    lunges : 22.5, 25
    swiss ball crunch 25

i tried a set of lunges barefoot and i had so much better balance. i'm definitely ordering a pair of those barefoot trainers

i ended my workout with 15 minutes if sprint hiit. legs were jello by the end
    BRavo! those are some really nice numbers!
  • kwikstop
    kwikstop Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Did w1a today!! First day. Only did the barbell for squats and bent over rows. Held 15 pound dumbbells for step ups. I have to work on my balance for the abs exercises. I can manage one set of "manly" push ups as long as I take a 5 second break after thefirst ten. Might add some weight next time!
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I started Stage 1 today and did my first set of squats using only the oly bar, then added 10 pounds for the second set. I thought I was going to have difficulty with the prone jacknife, but actually did well! I was worried about falling off the ball, but that didn't happen...thank goodness!

I did, however, hit a snag when I had to do step-ups. My little, dinky gym doesn't have any steps or boxes. I did find a small, platform maybe six inches high, so I used that. Not productive at all. I think I'll have to use a bench next time, which is going to make things a bit harder. Overall, it was a pretty good workout!