Things Not to Say When You're on a Dating Site

Options
krissypea79
krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
So I saw a couple things today that made me think...what are some things you've seen people say that they probably shouldn't mention, or maybe should find a different way to say it?

For example, today I get a "wink" from a guy, I go to his profile and he has a disclaimer: "Sorry about the bad pictures, I don't ever smile because I am not photogenic." And that is supposed to be attractive to a woman, how?!?!?

I received a message today from a guy who started it with "Hey Killer" - automatic delete.

One other thing I see ALL the time, that is so annoying: "I like going out, or staying in." Wow, we must be soulmates - so do I!!!!!! :laugh:

Replies

• Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    This guy on POF *oh boy* sent me a message saying "Hey babe I can give you the ride of a lifetime if you want a well hung stud like myself. But it will cost you"
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    One other thing I see ALL the time, that is so annoying: "I like going out, or staying in." Wow, we must be soulmates - so do I!!!!!! :laugh:

That one is common.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    "I like to stay in with a dvd and a bottle of wine" makes me :noway: Sooooooooo many guys say this, why?? Not that I think anything is wrong with watching a movie or drinking wine, it just sounds so corny.

Also, "I dont know what to say, will come back to this later" on their intro........:laugh: :laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    This guy on POF *oh boy* sent me a message saying "Hey babe I can give you the ride of a lifetime if you want a well hung stud like myself. But it will cost you"

OMG!! How could you refuse???? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    "I like to stay in with a dvd and a bottle of wine" makes me :noway: Sooooooooo many guys say this, why?? Not that I think anything is wrong with watching a movie or drinking wine, it just sounds so corny.

Saying what they think we want to hear, perhaps?? Typical :laugh:
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I want to know WHO hits up the guys that have "What's up b!tches" on their profile.
  • DMZ_1
    Options

Also, "I dont know what to say, will come back to this later" on their intro........:laugh: :laugh:

A DVD and a bottle of wine is a good time, but only when a woman is present. If I were to watch a DVD alone and have an alcoholic beverage, it would be beer or a mixed drink.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    The things that make me click right by?

*The generic "Talking about yourself is so hard". Dude. It's a site in which you must vie for a person's attention. Trying is necessary, which brings me to...

*The entire thing being written in CAPS or without a single capitalized word. Seriously? You are on here to at least find a one night stand. Run the damn thing through Word at the very least. For those of you looking for a true commitment, have someone proof read your entry for you. Honestly. You'll be amazed what a well written "About Me" will bring in.

*The majority of the profile questions are unanswered and the person has been apart of the site for over a month. Saying something is always better than saying nothing in this case.

Now the emails that I have received....some were good, some were head shakers, and a few made me click BLOCK. LOL Like copying and pasting your profile into the email? Not advisable. Your entire life story or a generic synopis that looks like you've sent it to everyone? *sigh*

The emails I always responded to were the ones that were actually given a little thought, even if I did not find the person attractive or that we had anything in common.

ETA: Sorry for ranting. Just so happened to be on my mind today because I was considering trying Match again... :flowerforyou:
  • tangie82
    tangie82 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Lol I read on someone's profile that he sells purses out of his trunk. His idea of a first date is watching bootleg movies at his momma's house. WTF?
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options

I spit water on my computer screen laughing!
  • kkjay
    kkjay Posts: 62
    Options
    My favorite is when they write about how much they hate liars and cheaters. And how they've dated so many they don't think there's any good people in the world anymore... or they're just completely negative about everything. How is that going to win over anyone? :huh:
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    As being nice has not worked, and being slightly insane has not worked. I am going to start copying these ideas to switch it up!

That or everything I type on a dating site will be lyrics from an Ice Cube song. I haven't decided yet.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Match . .dot. . com. . . VERY interesting 6 months! (got the guarantee btw. .but shut down my profile . . at least for now. )

Girls. . if you can help it, resist the Pavlovian need to put the words: "Live life to the fullest" anywhere in your profile. .. . *puke*..

Easily 50% of girls have "Quiet night on the couch with a glass of wine and a movie". . so, yeah, the guys are probably saying this because they think that's what you want to hear!

HUMOR! I always sent a note to girls that were funny and/or goofy in their profiles. . .It's incredibly rare.. . I'd say one in twenty have any humor. If you make me laugh, then I know you like to laugh. . so I'm going to try to make you laugh.

Body shots. . You have to have at least one honest body shot on your profile. . If you get a date and you show up and you weren't honest about your body. . . well. .it's just awkward and frustrating for everybody. . . I stopped contacting girls who didn't have a body shot. . I know a lot of you are going to attack me for being shallow etc. . but I like what I like. It's not my fault! :)

I don't know if my experience is average or what.. but keep in mind that you girls get orders of magnitude more messages than we do. . The entire time I was on I probably got 20 unsolicited emails. . I went on a date with one girl who got 100+ every DAY! I'm pretty sure there are more guys than girls on match. .

Finally. . If you aren't interested. . don't reply at all. . For me, a reply indicated interest, unless it was brutally honest (which is good). . If you appreciated my note and feel compelled to reply, say something like: "You are the funniest and hottest guy on match. . but I'm looking for someone ugly and stupid". . .See. . that would work for me. . .
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    One guy's heading was "Let's see how many idiots come across my page today". I'm assuming he must lead a very lonely life. I felt bad for him, really :cry:
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    As being nice has not worked, and being slightly insane has not worked. I am going to start copying these ideas to switch it up!

That or everything I type on a dating site will be lyrics from an Ice Cube song. I haven't decided yet.

You could find your soulmate in a woman who likes to make 2 AM trips to Fatburger!
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options

Easily 50% of girls have "Quiet night on the couch with a glass of wine and a movie". . so, yeah, the guys are probably saying this because they think that's what you want to hear!

See, I never actually thought that would be attractive to anyone! It sounds so damn boring! I've grown up hiking and camping and kayaking, so I tend to go for the guys who enjoy fun outdoor activities. Sitting on the couch with wine is for when I'm completely exhausted and can't do anymore....
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Lol I read on someone's profile that he sells purses out of his trunk. His idea of a first date is watching bootleg movies at his momma's house.

Can't. Stop. Laughing!!
  • Nerple
    Options

You could find your soulmate in a woman who likes to make 2 AM trips to Fatburger!

That would be awesome!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Lol I read on someone's profile that he sells purses out of his trunk. His idea of a first date is watching bootleg movies at his momma's house. WTF?

See I would have written this guy... he sounds funny!!
  • Nerple
    Options

See I would have written this guy... he sounds funny!!

He clearly has an entrepreneurial spirit.