Things Not to Say When You're on a Dating Site

Options

Replies

• Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Don't say "I hate drama." I hate drama too, but when you say that I figure you're got a ton of drama in your life... and I'm NOT trying to bring more drama into my life.

O God, this.
    Add in how much you hate cheaters and liars and it tells me that you have trust issues and I don't have time for it.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    oh you know what I really hate. Music snobs.
    Everyone has their own taste. Mine is all over the place. But I saw a guy who I thought was really interesting but he added 'don't bother contacting me if you like Kesha'. Like he has personal beef with Kesha.

I actually did write to him but all I said was..'This place about to blow..oh oh oh oh oh oh oh'

omg I about fell out of my chair when I read that from laughing. I want to find a profile that says I hate Kesha and send that
  • Bikini27
    Options
    oh you know what I really hate. Music snobs.
    Everyone has their own taste. Mine is all over the place. But I saw a guy who I thought was really interesting but he added 'don't bother contacting me if you like Kesha'. Like he has personal beef with Kesha.

I actually did write to him but all I said was..'This place about to blow..oh oh oh oh oh oh oh'

omg I about fell out of my chair when I read that from laughing. I want to find a profile that says I hate Kesha and send that

Bwahahahaa!!!!
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Don't say "I hate drama." I hate drama too, but when you say that I figure you're got a ton of drama in your life... and I'm NOT trying to bring more drama into my life.

O God, this.
    Add in how much you hate cheaters and liars and it tells me that you have trust issues and I don't have time for it.

Not to mention, the guys I have met who were so big on "trust, honesty, loyalty" were some of the most lying, sneaky SOB's I've encountered!!! I was seeing a guy for about 9 weeks, and in the beginning, randomly out of nowhere says "I've never cheated on anyone." Kind of random...sort of makes me think the opposite is true.

I hate when you look at a guy's profile (a lot of times it's just out of curiosity, and because those thumbnails are way too small), and you decide you're not interested but have to write you back anyways...I got one that said "caught ya lookin'!!" trying to be all cute but it just made me even less interested!
  • Bikini27
    Options

O God, this.

Not to mention, the guys I have met who were so big on "trust, honesty, loyalty" were some of the most lying, sneaky SOB's I've encountered!!! I was seeing a guy for about 9 weeks, and in the beginning, randomly out of nowhere says "I've never cheated on anyone." Kind of random...sort of makes me think the opposite is true.

I hate when you look at a guy's profile (a lot of times it's just out of curiosity, and because those thumbnails are way too small), and you decide you're not interested but have to write you back anyways...I got one that said "caught ya lookin'!!" trying to be all cute but it just made me even less interested!

Ugh!!!! Seriously hate the "Who Viewed Me" list. If they were interested, they'd've effing emailed me. Why do you feel it is necessary to tell me my profile has been viewed nearly 300 times and I've received 20 interested? Talk about a put down.

And honestly, if I'm interested, I wink/email/etc.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

Ohhh!! I get it! You girls never actually read the profiles unless the main pic is dead sexy! You don't want the guy to know you looked!

So. . guys. . . choose your profile pic wisely.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

O God, this.

Ugh!!!! Seriously hate the "Who Viewed Me" list. If they were interested, they'd've effing emailed me. Why do you feel it is necessary to tell me my profile has been viewed nearly 300 times and I've received 20 interested? Talk about a put down.

And honestly, if I'm interested, I wink/email/etc.

This! Especially OKCupid, they go out of your way to email you and tell you someone that hasn't written to you has viewed you. And I turned that feature off because I didn't want to know!
  • krissypea79
    Options

Ohhh!! I get it! You girls never actually read the profiles unless the main pic is dead sexy! You don't want the guy to know you looked!

So. . guys. . . choose your profile pic wisely.

LOL....well I do admit, pictures are important...but I've also encountered MANY instances where the guy uses like the ONE good photo he has of himself, but then it looks nothing like his other photos - at all. In another case, I met a guy for a first date, he had 2 photos. He looked pretty cute. I was looking all over the lobby of the restaurant for him - he was sitting there the entire time, but looked NOTHING like the photo he'd posted. Just don't be deceptive, that's all!

Looks/photos are not everything, I was not implying that. I guess I should have been more specific - I saw that a guy who did not meet my preferences (divorced, with 3 kids), but I looked anyways out of pure curiosity. I have the right to do that, but then he now knows that I did. He then emails me calling me judgmental because I didn't follow up with a wink or an email.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I saw that a guy who did not meet my preferences (divorced, with 3 kids), but I looked anyways out of pure curiosity. I have the right to do that, but then he now knows that I did. He then emails me calling me judgmental because I didn't follow up with a wink or an email.
    SMH
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Show me ONE person on a dating site that ISN'T judgmental. What do you think dating is? It is making judgement about other people and their compatibility with you. That, as an insult, has always blown my mind.

But then again, I'm still confused, from an etymological standpoint, about why "sucks" has such a negative connotation. What do I know?
  • krissypea79
    Options
    Show me ONE person on a dating site that ISN'T judgmental. What do you think dating is? It is making judgement about other people and their compatibility with you. That, as an insult, has always blown my mind.

Agreed. However, in many cases, and in my case, I wouldn't consider it judgment. Judgment is when you view someone negatively, due to something about them or something that they do. Just because I don't PREFER a guy who has been married and has three kids, or if they smoke, does not mean I think he is a bad person, or that I am judging him. I think there is a big difference between having preferences/knowing what you want and don't want in a potential mate, and being judgmental. If a guy writes "Hey Killer," or his message is strewn with bad grammar and spelling errors, then I may be accused of being judgmental. I do get your point, though - dating, especially online, does involve a significant amount of judgment. Hence this thread...I admit to being guilty of it!

And on the use of the word "sucks" haha - I remember saying it for the first time when I was young, and being all embarrassed that I'd said a "bad word." Etymology definitely is a very interesting subject!!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    My biggest peeves come from peoples profile pictures.

1) Try to pick a good one,why in Gods name does anyone think a grainy,dark picture is going to attract positive attention.
    Also try to at least look pleasant,I swear at least half try to find a picture where they look miserable.

2) Be honest about having children and maybe one in a profile pic but several is just weird to me.
    I assume you like them but I don`t want to date them so don`t need to see 4 or 5 pictures of them instead of you.

3) I am happy you like animals and in your profile it can say that,I really don`t care at all to see Fido in your pictures.

4) The same can be said about your car,the view from a hill,a sunrise or sunset,a goofy non you one etc.

5) If you are an active member of the site have a picture no older then a few months as your main one,a 5-15 year old one is just going to cause distrust.

6) I get signing up to look around but if you are going to wink,flirt,email then have a freaking picture of yourself as you are.
    Nothing is more frustrating then someone saying they want to get to know me better from behind a curtain.

7) Please don`t have a picture of you with another lady or several,I really am not looking to guess which is you.

8) I don`t want a picture of Peyton Manning in your profile to know you are a fan,he isn`t my type and I doubt he wants to be my sugar daddy.

9) He may be your best friend,big brother,uncle,father,whoever but it is just stupid to have a picture of you and another guy on there...think about it.

10) No one does a duck face in real life for any reason,it needs to be more shameful then a mullet.

All of these!!

I do have a couple pictures with another girl but not as my main picture and they are all different friends and blonde so it should be easy to guess who I am.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    on POF you can see who views you. I saw a guy I thought was cute but he was 24 and Catholic and didn't llike cold weather so I didn't message him. Well I got a message from him going "So I am not cute enough for you?"
    I was like WTF so I sent something back saying 24 is too young for me and also your Catholic and don't like cold weather. I am from MN (it says so in my profile) and love cold weather.
    He responds back "I can change that"
    Really you can change being 24?
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is when you email me telling me that you know I dont like short guys BUT...... Yeah cause your gonna be the one guy to change my preference. I'm "5'8.5" for goodness sakes. It says it in my profile repeatidly dont message me if your younger the 26 or shorter than I am......... The other day I had a guy who basically tried to brow beat me into going on a date with him and he was 5'3 and had no pic on his profile. Then he told me I was displaying typical online rudeness and I literally told him yeah thats gonna make me want to go out with you..... Ugh honestly thinking about deleting my profiles
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    A question for the guys. Why do so many men on dating sites check "undecided" where it asks if you want kids in the future? Personally I'm interacting with people 30+ usually. Is this really something you don't have a yes or no answer for by this point? Feels like a waste of time not to be up front about that.
  • krissypea79
    Options
    on POF you can see who views you. I saw a guy I thought was cute but he was 24 and Catholic and didn't llike cold weather so I didn't message him. Well I got a message from him going "So I am not cute enough for you?"
    I was like WTF so I sent something back saying 24 is too young for me and also your Catholic and don't like cold weather. I am from MN (it says so in my profile) and love cold weather.
    He responds back "I can change that"
    Really you can change being 24?

Yes, because it's so attractive when a guy is so desperate that they are willing to change everything for a girl...even their age!! hehehe
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    I was on eHarmony. And one of the 'generic' questions I sent to this guy was 'How do you describe your parents relationship, are they still married'. I always think its sweet.
    His reply 'My parents are dead but what difference does it make if they were still married'.
    Uh..thanks for the hostility. Bye now.

Eeeewww!
  • krissypea79
    Options
    A question for the guys. Why do so many men on dating sites check "undecided" where it asks if you want kids in the future? Personally I'm interacting with people 30+ usually. Is this really something you don't have a yes or no answer for by this point? Feels like a waste of time not to be up front about that.

OMG this is so annoying!!! I hate "Not Sure" or "I'll tell you later." No, you'll tell me now or we don't proceed. Not sure is just as bad...I don't want to get 2 years in and end up at 34 with a guy who decides that it's a NO. Personally, it's like the statement "We'll see." I HATE it. From my experience, anything but a "yes" is a "no."
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

But I really am undecided. :happy: I am not trying to waste anyone's time.
    I think it gives off the vibe that they are looking for serious or marriage and that may scare others off. Plus as others stated at 30+ in age the possibility of finding a mate in that age range that doesn't have kids is uncommon. At least with my area it is.
  • pa_jorg
    Options

OMG this is so annoying!!! I hate "Not Sure" or "I'll tell you later." No, you'll tell me now or we don't proceed. Not sure is just as bad...I don't want to get 2 years in and end up at 34 with a guy who decides that it's a NO. Personally, it's like the statement "We'll see." I HATE it. From my experience, anything but a "yes" is a "no."

Exactly!! At this age I feel like I've 'been there, done that' waiting around for an answer already. I don't want to keep wasting time just because you are indecisive.